[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

I have the same problem idling to sleep or with scheduled sleep. I saw a thread by MasterChief and he had the same problem which he eventually narrowed down to his DVD drive(TSSTCorp -- Samsung drive). He fixed it with a DSDT hack but people had varying results with it. If you go into the BIOS and disable the DVD drive sleep should work.....assuming your problem is the same as his was. There were other reports of people getting a different brand of DVD drive and then idle/scheduled sleep started working.

Do you have power consumption numbers for other OS's? Particularly Windows 7? You could even boot a Linux Live CD if you don't have any others installed. Might be interesting to see those. Thanks

I believe Firewire wasn't working properly with v1.13 (DSDT = M2.3). When the 3.x series stabilizes I'll make another installer package.

i think power consumption values are consistent across operating systems (thats actually how i verify speedstep works, as there are many tools to monitor cpu speedsteping in windows and than confirming the same wattage values in osx)

verified on SL 10.6.2 and windows7 64bit - exactly same values

considering the values, please note i have total of 4 hard drives, dedicated PCIe video card for HDMI output/editing purposes, 5 120mm fans total (including cpu fans)

ps: will try dvd drive tip and let you know :(

I'm guessing that just means they fixed whatever they broke in 0804. I've never seen them remove a BIOS revision before but I'm sure it happens on occasion.

@karineko

I finally had some time to do the MSRTools testing this weekend. I had to use the M2.3 DSDT(with SS info for 920) and booted into 32bit mode. It always showed SS: on TM1: on and TM2: off for all tests. It also only shows 2 cpus: CPU0 and CPU1.

Using iMac11_1 smbios.plist(has StepDataDict for platform) and smc-piketon fakesmc.kext:

CPU0 was constantly bouncing between 2.67 and 2.90 in small steps: 2.67, 2.69, 2.78, 2.79, 2.81, 2.90

CPU1 was always showing as in turbo mode 2.81

Using MacPro4_1 smbios.plist(no StepDataDict) and smc-thurley fakesmc.kext:

CPU0 was constantly bouncing between 2.67 and 2.90 in small steps: 2.67, 2.69, 2.78, 2.79, 2.81, 2.90

CPU1 was always showing as in turbo mode 2.81

Using MacPro3_1 smbios.plist(has StepDataDict for platform) and smc-napa fakesmc.kext:

CPU0 idled properly at 1.6 and boosted into turbo mode 2.81

CPU1 was mostly showing as in turbo mode 2.81 but after a very long idle period would drop to 1.6

Seems like MacPro3_1 is the way to go if we can trust what MSRTools is telling us. I did not try to copy the StepDataDict and PLimit values from MacPro3_1 into either MacPro4_1 or iMac11_1 platform plists. I'm mostly away from my main computer this week so I might try that when I get time. Can we just inject data from MacPro3_1 with EFI string so we don't have to touch vanilla kext? Never thought I'd be anxious for Apple to release new hardware but where is the MacPro5_1!

Hi dgobe, you did a very complete test. I already tried copying the missing sections from MacPro3_1 to 4_1 and SpeedStep worked the same way as the results from the MacPro3_1 smbios.plist test you performed.

I don't know if we can inject that data, but maybe yes, maybe Fabio knows. :happymac:

It's strange that Apple enabled SpeedStep on MacPro3,1 and disabled it on 4,1. Hopefully 5,1 brings things that can be implemented in our Hacks.

I post in the first page the DSDT v3.1.3

Fixed compatibility problem with AppleVIAATA.kext

enjoy!

note tomorrow I post the EFI version...

Fabio

Great news Fabio! glad you find the way to get it working.

What changes where made in this version? is it only a change that removes Marvell 88SE6121 cosmetic strings for having a working AppleVIAATA.kext or is it a mix with my DSDT also?

Karina

Great news Fabio! glad you find the way to get it working.

What changes where made in this version? is it only a change that removes Marvell 88SE6121 cosmetic strings for having a working AppleVIAATA.kext or is it a mix with my DSDT also?

Karina

Hi Karineko

The ideaa coming from this guide...and I focus the our problem in this point

Important: on display cards or network cards you don't need to set 'model' or 'device_type', only AAPL,slot-name. On display cards model and device_type are set by standard (device_type as 'display' and model as card name). On ethernet device_type as 'Ethernet Controller', but you can set model. It doesn't work with AZALIA or HDEF.

So I just try to see what's happend if I leave a cosmetics data... and da-da!!

For your DSDT I try start tomorrow (my day-off).

ESP

Hola Kari.

Mirando la pag. web que trata de las stringas EFI e visto que a veces se enquentras encompatibilidad con los devices. asi que e pensado que la misma cosa podia pasar con la DSDT... probe quitando la parte del nombre y del modelo osea toda esa parte cosmetica y vovi a ponerle el AppleVIAATA y ya funcionaba todo como tenia que ser..

Fabio

Fabio, I see. It is interesting because the example ffosilva provides (SATA RAID Controller) in the link you posted is using 'model' and 'device_type', did you tried adding this as an EFI string? Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't there many other DSDT hacks for different motherboards having those cosmetic fixes in there without having the sleep problem?

Take your time with my DSDT it's quite messy. :happymac:

ESP:

Fabio, ya veo. Es interesante ya que en el ejemplo que provee ffosilva (SATA RAID Controller) en el link que posteas el esta usando 'model' y 'device_type', has probado de agregar esto como una cadena EFI? Quizas este equivocada, pero no hay muchos otros hacks DSDT para diferentes motherboards que hacen uso de estos arreglos cosmeticos sin que esto traiga problemas de reposo/sleep?

Tomate tu tiempo con mi DSDT que es media complicada. ;)

Karina

In the old discussion about SL & P6T Deluxes, I remember somebody was asking about eSata not working.

To achieve eSata functionality I was using an adapter to bring SATA port 5 out as eSata, but nothing to do with the mobo's builtin port.

Now...just to keep interested people informed...I tried again with iFabio's DSDT 3.1.3 + appleviaata.kext : our built-in eSata port just WORKS.

In my situation it's not hotplug, you have to boot (or reboot) with your external disk powered on, but it WORKS (and sleep works also, even if appleviaata.kext is loaded. This is what DSDT 3.1.3 is supposed to fix).

:) :) :thumbsup_anim:

I am eager to get sleep working but could use some direction.

In an earlier post I attached the ioreg dump for my mac as requested. I downloaded dsdt.aml + efi strings 3.1.2 and followed kn6600's however was unable to get sleep working successfully.

I deleted the <dict></dict> chunkg at the end of Fabio's efi.plist and converted it (efi.plist) to hex. I then pasted that into the appropriate place in com.apple.Boot.plist with the correct string/key format. I then rebooted using the 3.1.2 DSDT.aml and the modified com.apple.Boot.plist and booted into osx successfully (graphics enabler is set to yes in com.apple.Boot.plist)... but sleep still doesn't work.

Any suggestions? My graphics card is an ati 4870hd ftr.

I am eager to get sleep working but could use some direction.

In an earlier post I attached the ioreg dump for my mac as requested. I downloaded dsdt.aml + efi strings 3.1.2 and followed kn6600's however was unable to get sleep working successfully.

I deleted the chunkg at the end of Fabio's efi.plist and converted it (efi.plist) to hex. I then pasted that into the appropriate place in com.apple.Boot.plist with the correct string/key format. I then rebooted using the 3.1.2 DSDT.aml and the modified com.apple.Boot.plist and booted into osx successfully (graphics enabler is set to yes in com.apple.Boot.plist)... but sleep still doesn't work.

Any suggestions? My graphics card is an ati 4870hd ftr.

have you AppleVIAATA.kext inside the E/E with DSDTv3.1.2 (if yes... delete this kext and rebuild cache) DSDTv3.1.2+AppleVIAATA = No Sleep

DSDTv3.1.3+AppleVIAATA= ok

Fabio

I have the same problem idling to sleep or with scheduled sleep. I saw a thread by MasterChief and he had the same problem which he eventually narrowed down to his DVD drive(TSSTCorp -- Samsung drive). He fixed it with a DSDT hack but people had varying results with it. If you go into the BIOS and disable the DVD drive sleep should work.....assuming your problem is the same as his was. There were other reports of people getting a different brand of DVD drive and then idle/scheduled sleep started working.

Do you have power consumption numbers for other OS's? Particularly Windows 7? You could even boot a Linux Live CD if you don't have any others installed. Might be interesting to see those. Thanks

I believe Firewire wasn't working properly with v1.13 (DSDT = M2.3). When the 3.x series stabilizes I'll make another installer package.

@ dgobe / qbe

PLS try this experimental DSDT

is the 3.00 modified (this have the DVD fix by MC)

modify on-the-fly w/o FW and IDE (for test, we know in old DSDT cause problem)

DSDT TEST FOR DVD TSSTCorp REMOVED

the 3.00 and 3.1 are completly different this happend findings sleep problem...

So if you findings difference I re-add this part in the 3.1 series

Fabio

I can try tonight. MC's fix required the DVD drive to plugged into a specific SATA port on the mobo...what about yours?

My DVD Device is plugged into "Bay4" SATA4

I haven't this problem my Devige go slepp well

Fabio

DSDT TEST FOR DVD TSSTCorp

tried your new dsdt with TSSTCorp SH-S203P Sata DVD = no sleep

new dsdt without AppleVIAATA = no sleep

new dsdt without AppleVIAATA, DVD drive unplugged = no sleep

same steps with dsdt from 3.13 installer = no sleep

sleep in this test means sleep through energy saver

i removed PCIe device - Blackmagic card - for this whole test to be the most accurate

sidenote: i dont really need/would use the automatic sleep, so it doesnt bother me that much. i report it just for the info

thanks a lot for your effort Fabio

My problems after 1 month using yr tut:

§ the temp is a little higher than windows, around 7 or 8 degree celcius

§ when I'm switching from mac to windows, the time is 1 hour less than normal

§ my geekbench pass from 12xxx (dsdt 3.0.1) to 7xxx (dsdt 3.1.3)

About my config:

Asus P6T Deluxe V1 (2101)

Core i7 920 4 Ghz (but known only as 3,82 Ghz on system information, the coefficient is fixed as 20?? because I have 21 as coefficient)

ATI HD 4870 Vapor x

6 Gb Ocz Gold 12800 cas 8

Asus xonar dx (still no driver :((?)

Thks much for your help

Temperature Monitor from Bresink will interfere with idling to sleep too. Run the program and I believe you click Monitor->Uninstall x86 drivers.

i dont have this installed and never had. i use istat for temperatures

Do a sudo touch /S/L/E and restart.

did repeat with this procedure (before i used only kext utility (thought it does the touch s/l/e too, but i dont really know) and sleep still not working

but as i said in the original post, i even tried to unplug the dvd drive and sleep didnt work. i guess the problem is somewhere else. i might try completely fresh install and see what it does. automatic sleep is not a big deal to me. i need high performance and speedstep, thats two main goals for me and they work thanks to you guys

Dear all,

First of all, I like to thanks the Greatest Job From Dgobe and iFabio.

My first installation started with the Wziard's topic (How to Guide) with successfully (with little problems ex. sleep)

I made a new installation for update chameleon and DSDT.

Very easy installation. (Thanks Dgobe)

Boot loader: Chameleon 2 RC4/ AsereBLN 1.1.9

DSDT 3.1.3 by Fabio

Installer P6Tdeluxe package from Dgobe

However I use 2 GPU cards (BFG Nvidia GTS 250 512MB). Separately they work without problems. Together I receive a massage to turnoff and restart the PC

I use GFXutil injection to generate string HEX (PCIe 2.0 x16_1 slot blue PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0) and PCIe 2.0x16_2 slot white PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)

I remove graphics enabler and edit com.apple.Boot.plist with my <string>xxx.hex - 2 card using aquamac nvidia GTS 250 512MB</string>

With 1 GPU card and 2 monitors everything works like a charm.

Someone can help me?

Thans in Advance

DSDTv3.1.4 in the first post.

Fix the firewire error in the log.

Note: For people using two GFX card try this new DSDT I fix (I hope) the value for the second slot GFX7

use Enabler or DSDT injection or strings..

For people using all 3 GFX slot in the DSDT series 3.xx the slot GFX1 (Black slot) is not present!

So try the series M2.x with enabler or strings or DSDT injection

try if works I re-add in the 3.xx series (I can't do this now).

Fabio

My problems after 1 month using yr tut:

§ the temp is a little higher than windows, around 7 or 8 degree celcius

§ when I'm switching from mac to windows, the time is 1 hour less than normal

§ my geekbench pass from 12xxx (dsdt 3.0.1) to 7xxx (dsdt 3.1.3)

About my config:

Asus P6T Deluxe V1 (2101)

Core i7 920 4 Ghz (but known only as 3,82 Ghz on system information, the coefficient is fixed as 20?? because I have 21 as coefficient)

ATI HD 4870 Vapor x

6 Gb Ocz Gold 12800 cas 8

Asus xonar dx (still no driver :( (?)

Thks much for your help

I see you request now...

my quick test with DSDTv3.1.4

Geekbench = 10019 (64 bit mode) on my P6T Deluxe v1 CPU i7 940 Stock speed

Dear iFabio

Thanks for quickly response.

I tested all DSDT (M2.3 920; M2.3 basic, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and the latest 3.1.4). I insert correct string on com.apple.Boot.plist, however with 2 graphic cards insert in GFX3 and GFX7 doesn't work, 1 graphic card works perfectlly (GFX3 or GFX7)

Well, I returned to old DSDT.aml (extra 02102009), with 2 graphic card working with 4 monitors. However the boot is more slowly about 20 seconds, sleep and sound doesn't work. My Geekbench (64 bit): 9137 +/- 150 with different DSDT, but I think it's doesn't matter (Statistical not-significant)

I tried to compare the 2 DSDT but i don't have skills to edit yet.

I will try to learn how to edit DSDT to help more in the future.

Kind regards

Goku&Gohan

Dear iFabio

I tested all DSDT (M2.3 920; M2.3 basic, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and the latest 3.1.4). I insert correct string on com.apple.Boot.plist, however with 2 graphic cards insert in GFX3 and GFX7 doesn't work, 1 graphic card works perfectlly (GFX3 or GFX7)

Well, I returned to old DSDT.aml (extra 02102009), with 2 graphic card working with 4 monitors. However the boot is more slowly about 20 seconds, sleep doesn't work.

I tried to compare the 2 DSDT but i don't have ability to edit.

I will try to study how to edit DSDT to help more in the future.

Kind regards

Goku&Gohan

post it here so he can compare...

Hi Scott_Donald

This DSDT is from ther Topic (HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2, How to get a (nearly) perfect 10.6 install going on Asus P6T)

I don't remember how post extra02102009, Its not avaliable anymore.

I upload 2 files (all folder extra02102009 and DSDT)

Best Regards

dsdt.aml.zip

Extra02102009.zip

Dear iFabio

Well, I returned to old DSDT.aml (extra 02102009), with 2 graphic card working with 4 monitors. However the boot is more slowly about 20 seconds, sleep and sound doesn't work. My Geekbench (64 bit): 9137 +/- 150 with different DSDT, but I think it's doesn't matter (Statistical not-significant)

I tried to compare the 2 DSDT but i don't have skills to edit yet.

I will try to learn how to edit DSDT to help more in the future.

Kind regards

Goku&Gohan

strange....

You know how compile/decompile the DSDT? if yes try to del this value im my DSDT

or just download my test DSDT in botton... :P

first test...

try delete the blue part inside the GFX3 and GFX7

[size=1]
           Device (PEG3)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00030000)
               Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (AR13)
               }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
               Device (GFX3)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   [color="#0000ff"]Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })[/color]
               }
           }
[/size]

--> -_-

-----------

If notthing change...

Second test...

[size=1]
           Device (PEG3)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00030000)
               {
                   Return (AR13)
               }

{
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
[color="#ff0000"]                Device (GFX3)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
               }[/color]
           }
[/size]

Delete the stuff in red color in Device PEG3

[size=1]
           Device (PEG7)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
[color="#ff0000"]                Device (GFX7)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
               }[/color]

{
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
               {
                   Return (AR17)
               }
           }
[/size]

Delete the stuff in red color in Device PEG7

now save and rebuild or --> ;)

Let we know if work's...

Fabio

I see my FIREWIRE now WORKS???? (need DSDT v3.1.4)

I do a quick test..

For get it work need to put your P6T Deluxe in Sleep and after wake and........ DA-DA!!!

I see in system profiler --> Firewire a little change -_-

Finally!!!! Is a good thing

Tomorrow I try my old firewire videocam ... maybe ;)

yuppi!!! WE HOPE - WE HOPE - WE HOPE

Fabio

strange....

You know how compile/decompile the DSDT? if yes try to del this value im my DSDT

or just download my test DSDT in botton... :P

first test...

try delete the blue part inside the GFX3 and GFX7

[size=1]
           Device (PEG3)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00030000)
               {
                   Return (AR13)
               }

{
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
               Device (GFX3)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   [color="#0000ff"]Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })[/color]
               }
           }
[/size]

--> ;)

-----------

If notthing change...

Second test...

[size=1]
           Device (PEG3)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00030000)
               {
                   Return (AR13)
               }

{
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
[color="#ff0000"]                Device (GFX3)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
               }[/color]
           }
[/size]

Delete the stuff in red color in Device PEG3

[size=1]
           Device (PEG7)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
[color="#ff0000"]                Device (GFX7)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
               }[/color]

{
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
               {
                   Return (AR17)
               }
           }
[/size]

Delete the stuff in red color in Device PEG7

now save and rebuild or --> ;)

Let we know if work's...

Fabio

Dear Fabio

I Use DSDTse V1.4.3 and I followed all your instructions. I got it, after that I compare with your upload file (equal). Great :D

I used Test1 and Test2 and the same problem, just 1 card (GFX3 or GFX7) is working, together (GFX3 and GFX7) doesn't work :)

Sorry I don't have any device with Firewire to test DSDT 3.1.4

Best regards