Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

I'm not able to run SL 10.6.3 on VB 3.2.4 using more then 2 Gb of RAM........... :D

it's normal to have in the virtulal machine's options "Mac Os X server" instead of "Mac OS X" when i have to choose if the system is 32bit or 64bit? i've never seen it since the release of VB 3.2.4.

Yea. The last build of 3.2.4 doesn't show Mac OS X as a guest os anymore. Instead, it only shows Mac OS X Server.

i need a audio driver... the OmegaX's virtualbox audio driver. the one takwing posted on his site. i really want it.. am not able to visit to virtualbox's forum, it's down. so anyone who has it please please upload it to mediafire or attach here and can anyone give me?

thanks

i need a audio driver... the OmegaX's virtualbox audio driver. the one takwing posted on his site. i really want it.. am not able to visit to virtualbox's forum, it's down. so anyone who has it please please upload it to mediafire or attach here and can anyone give me?

thanks

go to my site, I have updated the "sound" article to include the driver. please in the long run, also refer the official post for getting the latest info / version of the driver.

Leo,

Do you mean you can run SL 10.6.3 on VB3.2.0 / VB3.2.2 using more than 2 GB of RAM? Please clarify as the answer would be useful for isolating the problem (is it a new problem first appears in VB3.2.4 or an existing problem since VB3.2.0).

I have tried to set my VM to use 3GB of memory too and the VM cannot start up (I cannot even see the virtualbox logo in the VM). What I can confirm is that this problem is related to booting up the VM by EFI.

just tested that even in VB3.2.2, the VM with EFI option enabled cannot startup if more than 2GB is used. Forum in virtualbox.org is down at this moment and so I cannot report this.

Yes, virtual machine don't boot setting 3 or more Gb of RAM. With 2 all works good.

Well, takwing, I tried all your suggestions. Still no luck. This is with the newer R2 release of Empire EFI.

Even tried with another ISO, this time 10.6.0 instead of 10.6.3

Here is another error i get:

ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml

Then a black screen no text

And on another occasion:

Patched DMI Table.No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is.

Starting Darwin x86

Then the error

Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" @/sourcecache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOPLatformexepert.cpp

Anyone have any suggestions? This is indeed in windows via bootcamp on my core i7 imac. I would expect it to work there without issues.

The last build of 3.2.4 doesn't show Mac OS X as a guest os anymore. Instead, it only shows Mac OS X Server.

That is perfectly normal as the Apple's software license agreement only allows the Mac OS X Server guests running on the Max OS X hosts. People at iNNOTEK/Sun/Oracle have to constrain with this software agreement so the GUI had been modified appropriately. You may safely select "Mac OS X Server" as the guest OS version and Mac OS X 10.6 will be happy with it.

That is perfectly normal as the Apple's software license agreement only allows the Mac OS X Server guests running on the Max OS X hosts. People at iNNOTEK/Sun/Oracle have to constrain with this software agreement so the GUI had been modified appropriately. You may safely select "Mac OS X Server" as the guest OS version and Mac OS X 10.6 will be happy with it.

I see.... and definitely, this should be listed in my FAQ ...

thanks for your explanation!

Well, takwing, I tried all your suggestions. Still no luck. This is with the newer R2 release of Empire EFI.

Here is another error i get:

ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml

Then a black screen no text

And on another occasion:

Patched DMI Table.No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is.

Starting Darwin x86

Then the error

Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" @/sourcecache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOPLatformexepert.cpp

Anyone have any suggestions? This is indeed in windows via bootcamp on my core i7 imac. I would expect it to work there without issues.

when do you see the error message? while starting up the EmpireEFI? while kicking off the SL installation? during SL instasllation? installation completed normally and seen this only when starting the VM?

let's try to give us more information....

I had searched the whole InsanelyMac forums for your posts and still haven't found enough info about the exact hardware you've got, the version of the windows (or any other OS) you're using, the version of the VirtualBOX you have (including its build number), the version/flavour of the EmpireEFI you're trying to use and the exact steps you took prior to the failure.

We are not a magicians here, we would only be able to help you if you provide us with all the required information. So, please, be kind and post it.

So sorry, didn't know it mattered. (Stupid me, will not happen again)

I am using virtualbox 3.2.0 though I have tried the newest 3.2.4 as well.

Empire Efi 1.085 & also tried empire efi 1.085 R2

Core i7 2.8 ghz imac

Windows xp via bootcamp

Simply booted via the efi iso, then switched to the mac iso F5 press enter, bunch of text shows up about things loading, then the error messages appear and I'm stuck.

Did I forget anything?

Here are some images of the exact errors:

Still in EFI:

http://i50.tinypic.com/whm7f7.png

Then after enter:

http://i49.tinypic.com/34ywp04.png

Settings for vb are:

1.5gb ram, IO APIC enabled, 1 CPU, PAE/NX activated, VT-X/AMD-V activated, Nested Paging activated, 1 screen, video mem 128 mb, 3D accelerated, ICH6 storage controller, 15GB expanding storage (tried non expanding as well)

So sorry, didn't know it mattered. (Stupid me, will not happen again)

I am using virtualbox 3.2.0 though I have tried the newest 3.2.4 as well.

Empire Efi 1.085 & also tried empire efi 1.085 R2

Core i7 2.8 ghz imac

Windows xp via bootcamp

Simply booted via the efi iso, then switched to the mac iso F5 press enter, bunch of text shows up about things loading, then the error messages appear and I'm stuck.

Did I forget anything?

Here are some images of the exact errors:

Still in EFI:

http://i50.tinypic.com/whm7f7.png

Then after enter:

http://i49.tinypic.com/34ywp04.png

Settings for vb are:

1.5gb ram, IO APIC enabled, 1 CPU, PAE/NX activated, VT-X/AMD-V activated, Nested Paging activated, 1 screen, video mem 128 mb, 3D accelerated, ICH6 storage controller, 15GB expanding storage (tried non expanding as well)

The first "unexpected" event in your "still in EFI" screen is that it already prompts you to "press any key"... For me, there is also text message at the upper left corner, but it reads:

Darin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC4 r

Build date: 2010-01-06 18:52:43

1023MB memory

have you tried "do nothing at that time but just press any key"? (i.e. don't change to SL retail DVD iso image) what will be seen then?

I already switched to the iso image before that, at the startup screen of empire iso when it shows the cd image. so I do not switch again at that time you see in the screenshot. All I do was press enter. Nothing else.

Edit: but for me it says darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon VC.0-RC3 r

Build date: 2010-02-07

1499MB memory

That is for R2

Also tried the 1.085 and that has the same description and build date as yours.

at start on the empire efi boot screen.

Here is an image of the boot screen:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ztbud3.png

Right after F5:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vb96qh.png

Sometimes it shows this at the end instead of the earlier one:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2vbu1ec.png

I already switched to the iso image before that, at the startup screen of empire iso when it shows the cd image. so I do not switch again at that time you see in the screenshot. All I do was press enter. Nothing else.

Edit: but for me it says darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon VC.0-RC3 r

Build date: 2010-02-07

1499MB memory

at start on the empire efi boot screen.

For me, I obtain the EmpireEFI via http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/empire-efi-v-1-085-is-out/

I am using the link "Download Empire EFI v.1085 for Intel P55 Chipset and Intel Core i5 and i7 8xx series , Intel Core 2 series , Intel Core series (Contains both EmpireEFI v1.085 and LegacyEmpireEFI v1.085)" to get mine. In the zip file download, I am using the iso named as "empireEFIv1085.iso". (FYI, I am using iCore 5).

For may want to also try the 2nd link in that page as it mentions it is for Core i7 9xx (I am not so sure about what CPU is yours.. though I believe you can check it out by using its speed)

Btw, just tested to see if my ISO image is OK. I did this by installing Virtualbox in my mac os x partition and trying to install there (without using efi as it is natively supported on mac). I get to the install fine. (I then stopped the installation). So the ISO itself is OK.

Could it be that virtualbox is simply expecting some stuff to be present on a windows system that is not on my imac? Like a bios?

I read http://www.sysprobs.com/disable-enable-vir...technology-bios

Of course, I cannot do this on the mac. Is that the issue? Haven't tested those downloads yet since I have to do some work on my mac first :blush:

Btw, just tested to see if my ISO image is OK. I did this by installing Virtualbox in my mac os x partition and trying to install there (without using efi as it is natively supported on mac). I get to the install fine. (I then stopped the installation). So the ISO itself is OK.

Could it be that virtualbox is simply expecting some stuff to be present on a windows system that is not on my imac? Like a bios?

I read http://www.sysprobs.com/disable-enable-vir...technology-bios

Of course, I cannot do this on the mac. Is that the issue? Haven't tested those downloads yet since I have to do some work on my mac first :lol:

CPU has to support VT-x in order to install MacOSX under VB. It is true that this features can be disabled in some motherboard, .. and I have also heard that there are some mac that has this features disabled by Apple..... but as you can install it on your mac partition, it sounds like to me that your machine should have this feature enable already.....

what do you mean by "Haven't tested those downloads yet"? in your previous post, you have mentioned that you have tried the 1st, 2nd, and 4th but failed....

I meant the downloads on that linked page I included. It should show if I have support for bios virtualization or what not.

Though vt-x is certainly enabled, that is for sure.

will it be possible for your to real a REAL DVD disc instead of using an ISO image?

Sound like other people have encountered this before:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t30768.html

Takwing, thanks for your tutorial.

In my case, I had to set up the VM to use only 1 core for installation, because it was crashing at about 90% of installation when I was using 2 cores.

After installation, I just installed the 2 kexts (fakesmc and nullcpupm), enabled efi and 2 cores. Everything works, except for the shutdown/restart panic.

But I think it's just a matter of time. :hysterical:

Who would, some months ago, say that a VM could boot Snow Leopard without the need of a patched bootloader?

It's simply a real EFI implementation in a VM. Thumbs up for for VirtualBox and Oracle staff.

Now I'm just waiting for an official Guest Additions from VirtualBox.

Takwing, thanks for your tutorial.

In my case, I had to set up the VM to use only 1 core for installation, because it was crashing at about 90% of installation when I was using 2 cores.

After installation, I just installed the 2 kexts (fakesmc and nullcpupm), enabled efi and 2 cores. Everything works, except for the shutdown/restart panic.

But I think it's just a matter of time. :hysterical:

Who would, some months ago, say that a VM could boot Snow Leopard without the need of a patched bootloader?

It's simply a real EFI implementation in a VM. Thumbs up for for VirtualBox and Oracle staff.

Now I'm just waiting for an official Guest Additions from VirtualBox.

Who know what will be happening in the software world in 6 months in the future?....

For your problem, it is not just you who have encountered this... and therefore, I have stated that in my guide already....

Who know what will be happening in the software world in 6 months in the future?....

For your problem, it is not just you who have encountered this... and therefore, I have stated that in my guide already....

Yea.

We only need the Guest Additions now.

Everything works incredibly perfectly. I'm amazed how VirtualBox has evolved these years. :star_smile:

This is the first time I heard people reporting problems with the "Dynamically expanding storage" setting when installing SL. Are you sure that your VM is using the ICH6 hard disk controller?

presuming the installation is fine (as you mentioned), are you able to boot up the VM by using the EmpireEFI iso image? and have you installed the kext files as described in my guide. (Sorry that at this stage, I am still not sure about what exactly is your procedure /settings used in doing your setup.)

For VB3.2.2, you are use it... it is just a maintenance release.

Hi everybody!

I installed VirtualBox 3.2.4, downloaded iAtkos_v7 as well as Empire EFI and started over...the new version actually resolved the "dynamic HD" issue...but nothing works anyway.

Referring to your procedure, takwing, it all goes straight until this step: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...g/install14.jpg

At the end of this phase, the machine reboots and behaves as follows:

1) Booting from HD: dark grey screen with a chameleon, that states "Loading Leopard"...then I get a light grey background, with THIS VERY APPLE LOGO: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/3/3b/Apple_logo.png ...and nothing more happens (neither the CD nor the HD icon show any activity at all);

2) Booting from iATKOS DVD image: light grey background with a flat Apple logo, just like when you start the installation for the very first time...but this time nothing else happens;

3) Booting from Empire EFI CD image: I get the "kernel panic" screen you have depicted here: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...g/install15.jpg ...but even rebooting I keep receiving the same screen and nothing else (as a matter of fact, the reported message is slightly different from the one in your screenshot; it reads: panic(cpu 0 caller 0x558993): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Ker/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389)

What is your opinion?

Thank you once again for your advice!

Best regards

BG

Hi everybody!

I installed VirtualBox 3.2.4, downloaded iAtkos_v7 as well as Empire EFI and started over...the new version actually resolved the "dynamic HD" issue...but nothing works anyway.

Referring to your procedure, takwing, it all goes straight until this step: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...g/install14.jpg

At the end of this phase, the machine reboots and behaves as follows:

1) Booting from HD: dark grey screen with a chameleon, that states "Loading Leopard"...then I get a light grey background, with THIS VERY APPLE LOGO: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/3/3b/Apple_logo.png ...and nothing more happens (neither the CD nor the HD icon show any activity at all);

2) Booting from iATKOS DVD image: light grey background with a flat Apple logo, just like when you start the installation for the very first time...but this time nothing else happens;

3) Booting from Empire EFI CD image: I get the "kernel panic" screen you have depicted here: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...g/install15.jpg ...but even rebooting I keep receiving the same screen and nothing else (as a matter of fact, the reported message is slightly different from the one in your screenshot; it reads: panic(cpu 0 caller 0x558993): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Ker/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389)

What is your opinion?

Thank you once again for your advice!

Best regards

BG

Just want to make sure I don't misunderstand what u have said....

your iAtkos_v7 can be used to kick-off the Leopard installation for a clean hard disk. In order words, iAtkos_v7 can be loaded. However, after installation is completed and since then, your cannot start the Leopard installation by using iAtkos_v7.

That's strange.... what u mean if the if there is something in the hard disk, then the boot process of iAtkos_v7 (which is actually booting from the DVD) will be affected...

Just want to make sure I don't misunderstand what u have said....

your can be used to kick-off the Leopard installation after a clean hard disk. In order words, iAtkos_v7 can be loaded. However, after installation is completed and since then, your cannot start the Leopard installation by using iAtkos_v7.

That's strange.... what u mean if the if there is something in the hard disk, then the boot process of iAtkos_v7 (which is actually booting from the DVD) will be affected...

Update: I tried again and actually point 2) must be rewritten as follows:

2) Booting from iATKOS DVD image: installation starts anew from scratch;

Other issues persist...

Thank you!