10.6.2 doesn't work with 8800GT EFI Strings

Bidule200

140 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Using a similar card (G92) in my "Lifehacker" system. A Galaxy GTX250 512MB with an Aquos 46" HDTV via HDMI-DVI adapter to be exact. Actually, I've been having issues since 10.6.1 (Blue screen at startup that goes away if you pull the cable and replug) with the native HDMI-HDMI port but it will not not boot at all, WindowServer freeze, on 10.6.2 with my HDTV.

I don't seem to see a solution in any of the forums I've read. I'm sticking with 10.6.1 for now till there is a definitive solution. I've got a new Vertex SSD I need and I need to swing the system over to that drive. That will be enough work for the time being as I want to start fresh.

Thanks to Stellarola for his work and here's hoping a solution to the BlackFreeze comes soon!

This solution (replacing 10.6.2 NVDA kexts with those from 10.6.1) worked for me. I had no VGA out from my 8400 GS 512MB in 10.6.2 when using appropriate EFI strings and no luck with Chameleon's "GraphicsEnabler" feature, either.

I rolled-back the NVDA kexts, added the EFI string generated with OSX86 Tools, and now I have full QE/CI graphics in Snow Leopard. I have no idea if my DVI works now (or if it was working before) since I currently only have a VGA monitor to test with.

I agree this is a less-than-ideal fix, but it's a fix nonetheless. Thanks everyone.

This does work on my lifehacker build. I have an Epson 6100 1080p projector hooked up via DVI -> HDMI. It worked only after installing all three kexts. I initially didn't use the NVDANV40Hal kext, as some others said it was unnecessary and only needed for older cards, but I did need it for my 9800 GT (maybe this is an older card?)

Pro's, PLEASE help me solve my final problem to get my hackintosh running. Why will my machine not boot from the internal SATA cloned from my external USB working 10.6.2 install? I didn't follow the lifehacker to the T. I always have a backup clean install of the OS and my fave apps all updated, so I used this with the "EP45UD3P Snow Leopard" boot loader installer/script from the newest "no hack" Lifehacker guide. The machine booted perfect the first run with a DVI to VGA 1024x768 LCD, but when hooking up to the long term display (the aforementioned projector) it woudn't boot. I found this thread and installed kexts. It now boots on the USB drive and displays to the projector just fine....

BUT after using CCC to clone the drive to the internal (which has had SL retail installed traditionally and booted/ran perfectly), the drive will not boot. I select it in the darwin screen and the Apple screen follows then the dark gray washed down the screen a few moments later instructing me to hold the power button to restart. When I previously installed retail SL to the internal drive, it did the same after running the software updater in OS X and updating to 10.6.2.

EDIT:

It turns out after re-trying to clone the 10.6.2 USB drive with Disk Utility then re-applying the Lifehacker boot/EFI deal, it worked. I still can't understand why this would work, but starting from 10.6 on the internal then running software update would yield an un-bootable drive??

Now just setting up and trying to get 7.1 audio working, as this was meant to be a full DTS 7.1 compatible media center. I have multiple channels going now, but sub and maybe center is missing and something just sounds "off". The search begins for a 7.1 compatible kext for the UD3P motherboard onboard audio. Anyone?

Did anybody else notice decreasing graphic performance on 10.6.2 ??

It looks a bit sluggish when I apply a widget to dashboard compared to my other much older macs.

I have a similar issue...

Certain animations (window resizing, time machine desktop pull down etc) are slow, almost 10 frames per second. Had no such problems on 10.5, using exactly the same hardware.

Have tried EFI, DSDT, ATY_ini.kext all yield identical results...

Most frustrating. Have you got any closer to your issue?

Certain animations (window resizing, time machine desktop pull down etc) are slow, almost 10 frames per second. Had no such problems on 10.5, using exactly the same hardware.

Had exactly the same problem since 10.6.2 - with my 9800 GT;

http://netkas.org/?p=315

check comment 118, tried this and problem solved, smooth animations returned.

The extension downgrade isn't working most likely because a lot of people aren't rebuilding their cache properly.

If like me you find kextcache just too longwinded, run Kext Utility by cVad once you've installed the 10.6.1 kexts (before restarting). I made this mistake first time round, and had to switch to VGA.

Had exactly the same problem since 10.6.2 - with my 9800 GT;

http://netkas.org/?p=315

check comment 118, tried this and problem solved, smooth animations returned.

Thanks for the tip...

I tried with NV Enabler 64 and it didn't seem to work. I went through what I believed to be every possibility:

-Installing kext as is (with graphics enabler option, a DSDT with graphics built in, 32bit), using kext utility. Then.....

-Disabling DSDT

-Removing graphics enabler from boot.plist

-Trying 32 and 64bit boots

Still same choppy graphics issue. Any ideas why this isn't working for me? Being on 10.6.1 is the only thing I can think of? (.2 breaks my wireless)...

I can confirm that replacing NVDAResman.kext (6.0.6) and NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) with versions from 10.6.1 (6.0.2) SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!

I "found" the two 10.6.1 kexts here and the NV40Hal for the older cards here. :)

I can confirm too, I try with NVDAResman.kext & NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) 10.6.1 and (6.0.2) 10.6.0, both are work fine for me.

notes: first time installed but not really boot in snow, use another mac to replace that 2 file first, its will cause the system did not load that extensions. Then I need to replace the original in sl/s/l/extensions to boot in snow, of cause the HDMI port got black screen in entry to destop status, I need to use vga port to boot in, then replace the 10.6.0 or 10.6.2 again, its ok to boot in destop with HDMI port, haha

downloaded these kext files and i don't know how i'll install those files to my 10.6.2 system with 8800GT

would you mind to help me (for everyone actually) for this?

Download "Kext Utility", then drag the two kexts to the Kext Utility icon (one after the other). And you're done ;)

I have the exact same issue. Also, my mouse cursor seems to skip frames...

Edit: problem solved after reading this post.

Download "Kext Utility", then drag the two kexts to the Kext Utility icon (one after the other). And you're done :rolleyes:

I have the exact same issue. Also, my mouse cursor seems to skip frames...

Edit: problem solved after reading this post.

Thanks for the suggestion...

I tried this and I got a crash screen as attached upon bootup (tried editing kext version as well). Did you simply swap over this new sleepenabler.kext and nothing else? Interested why it didn't work for me....

Are you running 10.6.2 ? Am running 10.6.1 and assume this must have something to do with it..

post-135101-1263622205_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion...

I tried this and I got a crash screen as attached upon bootup (tried editing kext version as well). Did you simply swap over this new sleepenabler.kext and nothing else? Interested why it didn't work for me....

Are you running 10.6.2 ? Am running 10.6.1 and assume this must have something to do with it..

I'm on 10.6.2. But it seems that my problem was not related to this 10.6.2 Nvidia kext thing. I was trying to get vanilla speedstep to work at the same, and because of that I had removed the sleepenabler.kext with build in 8800 quicktime fix, so the skipping mouse had returned and I falsely attributed that to the 10.6.1 Nvidia kexts. Sorry mate.

My Sollution: EFI Strings and NVcaps , not more (sometimes a GraphicBios Update) Use Efi-Studio 1.1 or even never, and try theese NVCaps inside The EFI-String (by Miliucu):

This NVCAP give to me DVI output:

BAAAAAAAAgAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAABQAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAABgAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAABwAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAAAQANAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

BAAAAAAABAAAAAAHAAAAAA==

This NVCAP give to me VGA output:

BAAAAAAAAQAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAAAwAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= (EFi Studio built-in)

Super_engine's value gives to me both outputs:

BAAAAAAAAQACAAAAAAAAAA==

If your Card isnt supported Via Efi Strings try to up- or downgrade your card to a supported one (by your own risk) with nvflash & NiBiTor.

g00d luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all

I replaced 10.6.2 kext with 10.6.1 kext and it worked, but I cannot use both ports on the graphics card the farthest port seems to be dead. But more importantly I cannot change my resolution I'm stuck at 800 X 600. I replaced the 10.6.2 NVDANV40Hal.kext NVDANV50Hal.kext NVDAResman.kext with NVDANV50Hal.kext NVDAResman.kext from 10.6.1

GeForce 9800 GTK+:

Chipset Model: GeForce 9800 GTK+

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0613

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 800 x 600

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

Please help me with this

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i try to find slution to, but were is no other solutions with hdmi cards what dont work from beginning with 10.6.2 and hdmi tv.....

at the moment change kexts to 10.6.1,and u get back your tv to frontline :)

and we will see what we get with 10.6.3

I have the same card with the same problem.

Anyone find a solution for this yet?

I had the same problem with my xfx 9800gtx+ (black screen at startup)

I downloaded a bios.rom from www.mvktech.net

Flashed the vga bios

Used Nvcap maker with the bios that i flashed to get nvcap value

Created the string to use in com.apple.boot.plist with this nvcap value.

And solved.

But i think that this is the LAST try that you have try.

PS: Sorry for the bad english, i'm from Brazil :D

• 3 weeks later...
I returned to 10.6.1 Kexts but didn't work

tried Nvinject.kext, NVEnabler64.kext, Natit.kext, ANY_tit.kext and nothing happened

Please Help

8800GTX VGA-VGA

it should work if u try install 10.6.1 kext with kexthelper.

• 3 weeks later...