10.6.2 doesn't work with 8800GT EFI Strings

Bidule200

140 posts in this topic

Does that happen if you turn off the TV ? Or just when you unplug the cable ?

I did some further experiments and found out that my computer freezes no matter what display I connect or disconnect during OSX operation. After reconnecting any display I either get a KP (Normal Monitor connected to DVI-Port) or a blackscreen (HDCP-TV connected via DVI-HDMI-cable). The only way changing the display is shut down the computer, connect the other display and then turn on the computer again.

Is there anybody out there who can confirm that?

Replacing the drivers with the old ones is NOT a fix. It's a cop out.

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/24015973...th-nvidia-cards

Yes! It's really works. After patching DSDT my second monitor (Full HD TV 40") on Geforce GTS 250 doesn't work.

After replacing these kexts my both monitors 100% fully work!

Thanks for the solution.

P.S. sorry for my bad English

After updating to 10.6.2, I lost support for my projector. I have a 8800gt card with dual DVI. With my two monitors connected, it worked fine. When switching from the second monitor to my projector (which connects with a DVI to HDMI cable) I got the black screen on both screens. Unplugging and replugging did not help. I had to restart.

Anyway, I tried to replace the three "NVDA" kexts with the ones from 10.6.1, and it was not working. I tried various other combinations, but nothing worked, so I gave up, and put the original kexts back. However, when I rebooted, I had lost support for dual monitors completely, as well as my choices for resolutions and the "detect displays" button. I eventually figured out that I had to fix permissions and rebuild mkext cache to get it back. AHA! I went back and re-replaced the three amigos and repaired permissions and rebuilt mkext, and it worked! So, you may also have to do this.

To be more specific, there was not an Extensions.mkext present to begin with in S/L, but I created one with Kext Utility. I also deleted the Extensions.mkext in S/L/Caches/com.Apple.kext.caches, and it automatically rebuilt it after a few seconds. I'm not sure which one of these things is what did it, but I can report that it did work.

I know this is only a temporary fix, but hey, it works. Looking forward to a real solution...

Also curious if this happened to Mac Pro owners with the official 8800gt cards....

I had the exact same problem as the thread starter, "solved" by going back to 10.6.1 NVDAN and NVressometing kexts.

9800gtx+ graphic card

I solved mine also. Great! Thanks guys.

termosen,

What kext are you using for this graphic card? Are you using an EFI String instead? or also?

I have mine working under ATY_init.kext, but I don't know if i'm getting the full benefits of this card.

termosen,

What kext are you using for this graphic card? Are you using an EFI String instead? or also?

I have mine working under ATY_init.kext, but I don't know if i'm getting the full benefits of this card.

hello there

would you mind to share with us your steps & files?

because i have same problem here and i don't know what are you guys talking about, call me roukie! :rolleyes:

i have 512mb 8800gt with my SL 10.6.2

thank you very much

termosen,

I'm using a custom DSDT for graphics. No additional Kexts

I have a EVGA 8800gts (G92) device id 0x060010de and have got it working under 10.6.2 with ATY_init.kext and the original video kexts from 10.6.2:

geforce.kext version 1.6.6

nvdanv50hal version 1.6.6.25

nvdaresman.kext version 1.6.6.25

I edited these three kexts info.plists with my specific cards device id 0x060010de.

My menubar is translucent so I assume I have QE/CI!

The first time I booted with -v -x32 -f and got a blue screen. So I booted into my Leopard partition ( I have 1 hd with snow and leopard on my ud3p) and repaired the permissions for my SNOW kexts:

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/*

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Snow//System/Library/Extensions/*

Then I tried my Snow partition again with -v -x32 and it works! :D

As far as I know I am using the video kexts from 10.6.2 and the 10.6.2 kernel. However I had to delete dsmos.kext and use the newest fakesmc.kext (version 2.5). It also worked for me with only dsmos.kext but I had to use the original snow leopard 10.6 kernel. I hope this helps someone. I am using DVI.

Additional Notes

I was experiencing the same problem with my Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB when I upgraded to 10.6.2. Namely, the WindowServer crashed on reboot, indicated by a solid blue or black screen with no login window. It is still possible to SSH into the machine. Viewing /var/log/system.log will show indicators like this:

Nov 30 14:10:28 Hackintosh /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[62]: Login Window Application Started

Nov 30 14:10:41 Hackintosh com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[89]): Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

Nov 30 14:10:41 Hackintosh com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[99]): Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

Nov 30 14:10:41 Hackintosh com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Nov 30 14:10:41 Hackintosh com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[95]: 2009-11-30 14:10:41.605 ReportCrash[95:2803] Saved crash report for WindowServer[89] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WindowServer_2009-11-30-141041_localhost.crash

Nov 30 14:10:41 Hackintosh com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[95]: 2009-11-30 14:10:41.605 ReportCrash[95:2907] Saved crash report for WindowServer[99] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WindowServer_2009-11-30-141041-1_localhost.crash

Nov 30 14:10:49 Hackintosh sshd[101]: USER_PROCESS: 107 ttys000

Nov 30 14:10:51 Hackintosh com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[111]): Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

Nov 30 14:10:51 Hackintosh com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Nov 30 14:10:51 Hackintosh com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[95]: 2009-11-30 14:10:51.735 ReportCrash[95:3ae7] Saved crash report for WindowServer[111] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WindowServer_2009-11-30-141051_localhost.crash

Nov 30 14:11:01 Hackintosh com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[112]): Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

Looking at one of the crash reports will show the backtrace indicating the Nvidia GeForce 8xxx series driver is crashing due to what looks like an OpenGL error:

Process: WindowServer [126]

Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/WindowServer

Identifier: WindowServer

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

Date/Time: 2009-11-30 14:11:32.363 -0500

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x00007fffffe00830 __memcpy + 144

1 com.apple.GeForce8xxxGLDriver 0x000000020002e6e5 gldGetQueryInfo + 10261

2 com.apple.GeForce8xxxGLDriver 0x000000020001ca26 gldCreateShared + 550

3 libGFXShared.dylib 0x00007fff815b4d02 gfxCreateSharedState + 159

4 GLEngine 0x000000011350144d gliCreateContext + 321

5 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff82992d5a cglsCreateContext + 405

6 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff8298cd8f _CGXGLDisplayContextInitialize + 2686

7 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff8298c22d _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice + 66

8 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff8298c16a CGXGLCreateDebugDescription + 18

9 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff8298b233 CGXDisplaysWillReconfigure + 141

10 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff82989e98 reconfigureDisplays + 3865

11 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff8298660d CGXPerformInitialDisplayConfiguration + 1452

12 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff82967d19 _CGXInitialize + 198

13 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff82967ad1 CGXServer + 964

14 WindowServer 0x0000000100000f29 main + 9

15 WindowServer 0x0000000100000f18 start + 52

My current setup uses two Dell 24" DVI monitors. These monitors are HDCP capable, which is the copy protection used in HDMI and DVI. Based on what I have read, no one seems to have a problem using VGA, which is analog video. Some DVI users are having problems, as are all HDMI users.

Most likely, this means that the problem is with the HDCP copy protection in the driver. It is not a strictly HDMI issue, as previously mentioned.

Confirmation of Solution

I can confirm that downloading the two Nvidia kexts from 10.6.1 NVDAResman.kext (6.0.6) and NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) available here and installing them in the EFI partition, with a properly configured boot cache will solve the issue. There is no need to install the kexts in /System/Library/Extensions, as the EFI partition will work.

Users of DigitalDreamer's Snow Leopard Install script can simply download those two kexts and install them with the script, and then rebuild boot caches. I did both normal caches followed by a "super combo cache."

Then I placed my 9600's EFI strings in the com.apple.boot.plist in the EFI parition, rebooted and all was well again. Hope that helps!

Same to me, after updating to 6.2, but I have follow you guys instructions here replaced the NVD files and applied the nvidia kexts and enabler again now I can connect to my Philips 47 TV with HDMI full HD! Cool...Thanks!

Only my BT dongle is not working...with 10.6 it was fine with both magic mouse and Wireless keyboard...Now he can "see" my magic mouse but sometimes not, keyboard is not working and strange thing is the BT icon say "disconnected" while the mouse was working...Hmmm... I had to update to 10.6.2 for the mouse SW...now I cant use it ;) any Idea?

Hey just an FY for the 8600GTS 512Mb card.

I used 10.6 retail disk and chameleon boot loader that came with both the fakesmc.kext and dsmos.kext. I also used the EFI string in com.apple.boot.plist for high res. All I needed to do was remove the dsmos.kext from the /Extra/Preboot.dmg/Extra/Extensions folder.

Unfortunately I had to do this from within windows and finding a solution took some time. But for ppl running the 8600GTS card all seems well.

Hey just an FY for the 8600GTS 512Mb card.

I used 10.6 retail disk and chameleon boot loader that came with both the fakesmc.kext and dsmos.kext. I also used the EFI string in com.apple.boot.plist for high res. All I needed to do was remove the dsmos.kext from the /Extra/Preboot.dmg/Extra/Extensions folder.

Unfortunately I had to do this from within windows and finding a solution took some time. But for ppl running the 8600GTS card all seems well.

But did you update to 10.6.2?

-n

But did you update to 10.6.2?

-n

Yes. I ran the combo update fro/ 10.6.0 to to 10.6.2 and rebooted. I got the grey boot screen that said I had to reboot with power buttun, so I restarted with -v and watched the out out. since access to the preboot.dmg was read-only from the retail disk, i had to use macdrive to access the drive and transmac to mount the .dmg file from the windows partition. I then deleted the dsmos.kext and rebooted again.Started up with no problems. I still have my translucent menu bar and my settings were unchanged. I am now running 10.6.2 with just a minor issue with HD audio(sterio only for now). Everything else (so far) has been going well.

Hi,

I am wondering if after upgrading to 10.6.2 you guys boot, it goes to the mac desktop and then black screen of death shows up? like literally within seconds??

is this the problem? I have a Geforce 6600, and it does taht right now.... i was wondering if this is the same issue..

That's what mine did. From Chameleon boot screen, highlight your mac install and press down-arrow key. This will give a menu to boot in verbose (-v option) select that and it will show you what caused the kernel panic. In my case it dsmos.kext. Once removed it was fine again.

Based on what I have read, no one seems to have a problem using VGA, which is analog video. Some DVI users are having problems, as are all HDMI users.

I am using my monitor with vga connector, and still had that black screen after updating to 10.6.2.

I did roll back those 2 kexts to 10.6.1. Now it seems ok. Seems. I have problems on my dashboard. When i open it, the widgets get painted white in a box, which look very ugly. Some of them get clean after, but some stay ugly white boxed.

This must be related to the 10.6.1. drivers i think.

Those 2 kexts might not be fully compatible with the rest of the 10.6.2. driver kexts.

OpenGl or Quartz Extreme. Is there a way to test these fully ? QE, CI are not reported anymore in my about my mac/graphics section. Desktop effects seem to work though, but i am not sure its fully hardware accelerated.

I am having Nvidia 9600 GT 512 Mb with custom dsdt.

Confirmation of Solution[/size]

I can confirm that downloading the two Nvidia kexts from 10.6.1 NVDAResman.kext (6.0.6) and NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) available here and installing them in the EFI partition, with a properly configured boot cache will solve the issue. There is no need to install the kexts in /System/Library/Extensions, as the EFI partition will work.

Users of DigitalDreamer's Snow Leopard Install script can simply download those two kexts and install them with the script, and then rebuild boot caches. I did both normal caches followed by a "super combo cache."

Then I placed my 9600's EFI strings in the com.apple.boot.plist in the EFI parition, rebooted and all was well again. Hope that helps!

downloaded these kext files and i don't know how i'll install those files to my 10.6.2 system with 8800GT

would you mind to help me (for everyone actually) for this?

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty much begging here because I've beat myself in the head trying to fix this..

I have a laptop with a 8800 chip in it. Support Docs say it's a Nvidia® NB8E-GT, and I've had everything from a 8800gt to 8800gts, 8800M GT, and finally 8800M.

I EFI'd my card and tried 10.6, 10.6.1, and 10.6.2 but can't get QE/CI working. I acquired the EFI from OSX86TOOLS and tried both 8800GT and 8800GTS but neither work. Placed the EFI in APPLE BOOT and information comes up correct with 512MB of ram. Also, mind you resolutions work just fine and system runs great.

Front row is black screen, chess locks up after 2 moves, and screen saver is turtle speed (QE/CI checks).

I have been reading evertying I can and still can't find a solution. I also tried NVenabler as one person said that worked but I only got a grey screen. I am pleading for any help on this one guys :)