10.6.2 doesn't work with 8800GT EFI Strings

Bidule200

140 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, doesn't work on 10.6.3. Hangs on blue screen.

Yeah, this happened to me, thankfully i have another drive with windows 7 :D

Any idead how to get it back, i'll take my only using one monitor, i just want my OSx back.

BTW, I used kext helper and dragged the icons to it from my downloads folder, does that matter? Should I have replaced them in the s/l/e folder and then dragged them to it?

Also, I did backup the kexts before I did this, can I some how replace them back in like a safe mode/terminal or something?

Yes, I consider myself a noob, definitely :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, I got somewhere, but then i think I totally destroyed myself, can anyone help?

I was able to get in via safe mode, and replaced the kexts (or so I thought), and was able to get back in via reg boot.

What I realized is that I think Kext Helper is actuallly deleting kexts or something. In the end, I physically put the kexts in the s/l/e folder, which it then said didn't install correctly, then I dragged them to Kext Helper from that folder. Unfortunately while in Kext Helper, I decided to mess with the advanced permissions button thinking that would help changing it from 775 to 777 and then clicking run. Well, it changed it for the whole folder, which in then turn make every kext in that folder not installed correctly(many messages). I then figured to just drag all of the kexts in that folder to kext helper and click easy install. Well, it looked like it was deleting them all as before which it might have done because now when I try to boot I get the panic where it says "unable to find driver for this platform: acpi". Another thing to note, after using Kext Helper, I tried to quit it before restarting but everytime I had to force quit it, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Anyway, just wanted to know if I'm totally screwed or not, like if I have to reinstall osx (life hacker way, so I don't even know if I would know what to do from here) :)

Anyway, just wanted to know if I'm totally screwed or not, like if I have to reinstall osx (life hacker way, so I don't even know if I would know what to do from here) :(

You are screwed, just not totally. You will need to reinstall & repair permissions on those components.

How you should fix it depends on your situation and what you've got handy

If you've got a real mac or 2nd hack to work from its alot easier, and an extra hard drive would be handy if available

alternately, you could go with a liveCD from a prepackaged distro (iPC or something) to boot the machine and work from there

or... depending on your hardware you could try a custom-made BootCD for your particular motherboard (takes the place of the chameleon installed on your boot HD) and a fresh install of OSX on a 2nd drive to pull from

Honestly it might be easiest to reinstall OSX and then use the migration assistant to transfer user data, apps, etc..... Personally I'd stick with 10.6.2 at the moment tho

You are screwed, just not totally. You will need to reinstall & repair permissions on those components.

How you should fix it depends on your situation and what you've got handy

If you've got a real mac or 2nd hack to work from its alot easier, and an extra hard drive would be handy if available

alternately, you could go with a liveCD from a prepackaged distro (iPC or something) to boot the machine and work from there

or... depending on your hardware you could try a custom-made BootCD for your particular motherboard (takes the place of the chameleon installed on your boot HD) and a fresh install of OSX on a 2nd drive to pull from

Honestly it might be easiest to reinstall OSX and then use the migration assistant to transfer user data, apps, etc..... Personally I'd stick with 10.6.2 at the moment tho

With the easiest way that you're talking about, are u saying I should just remake the thumb stick boot drive(life hacker/Stella), boot off of that and then somehow reinstall on the drive using migration assistant? I don't have a 2nd drive to work with(well I do but it has my win7 on it), but I do have a seperate mac to make the stick..

With the easiest way that you're talking about, are u saying I should just remake the thumb stick boot drive(life hacker/Stella), boot off of that and then somehow reinstall on the drive using migration assistant? I don't have a 2nd drive to work with(well I do but it has my win7 on it), but I do have a seperate mac to make the stick..

hmmm...

Keep in mind that what you've managed to break here is just your OSX installation itself, not the chameleon/PC-EFI bootloader. To fix it, you need to boot from the Snow Leopard installer Disc (or yes, recreate a thumbdrive-based installer drive) and reinstall from there. How you boot from that DVD or drive is up to you, there are many methods.

I mean... in theory you could simply throw the drive from your hack into the real Mac or an external USB/firewire enclosure and work from there. If at all possible, that'd be the route I'd go, because it would allow you to make a backup of the core of your current OSX install onto a disc image on your real Mac's HD (carbon copy cloner does a great job) prior to making any changes in case you need it. If its an intel mac you could even do the OS reinstall on the real mac.

Oh... word of warning, DO NOT ATTEMPT firewire target disk mode with a hackintosh, as the firewire controller will catch on fire/melt :thumbsup_anim:

A quick google found me info that leads me to believe you could just simply "reinstall" Snow Leopard right onto the same drive without needing the migration assistant part, apparently SL no longer does "archive and install", and instead simply installs on top, putting the needed components where they go.

hmmm...

Keep in mind that what you've managed to break here is just your OSX installation itself, not the chameleon/PC-EFI bootloader. To fix it, you need to boot from the Snow Leopard installer Disc (or yes, recreate a thumbdrive-based installer drive) and reinstall from there. How you boot from that DVD or drive is up to you, there are many methods.

I mean... in theory you could simply throw the drive from your hack into the real Mac or an external USB/firewire enclosure and work from there. If at all possible, that'd be the route I'd go, because it would allow you to make a backup of the core of your current OSX install onto a disc image on your real Mac's HD (carbon copy cloner does a great job) prior to making any changes in case you need it. If its an intel mac you could even do the OS reinstall on the real mac.

Oh... word of warning, DO NOT ATTEMPT firewire target disk mode with a hackintosh, as the firewire controller will catch on fire/melt :(

A quick google found me info that leads me to believe you could just simply "reinstall" Snow Leopard right onto the same drive without needing the migration assistant part, apparently SL no longer does "archive and install", and instead simply installs on top, putting the needed components where they go.

Ok, still a lil confused (still noob), what I think I'm going to try is to change my bios to boot off of the snow leopard disk and then install on the corrupted drive, hopefully it will save my apps. Is that one of the ideas you were throwing out there?

Ok, still a lil confused (still noob), what I think I'm going to try is to change my bios to boot off of the snow leopard disk and then install on the corrupted drive, hopefully it will save my apps. Is that one of the ideas you were throwing out there?

If I understand you correctly sorta, depends what you mean by "the snow leopard disk" tho.

A PC BIOS cannot boot the SL DVD directly, we usually use a boot-132 based boot CD and then swap in the SL installer DVD. Your BIOS must be set to the disc/drive containing the bootloader (Chameleon/PC-EFI/etc....)

If you followed the Lifehacker guide you have a gigabyte EP45 based board, right? You should be able to find a SL bootCD, around here somewhere, generic would work but you should be able to find a EP45 one that should do, I saw a EP45-DS3L/UD3L one around recently that looked nice.

Now... I'm assuming you still have a functional install of Chameleon/PC-EFI on your OSX drive? (drive selector at startup?)

If so, you could re-do part of the lifehacker route & create a "SL install DVD" on a USB thumbdrive that your existing chameleon/PC-EFI is capable of booting and go from there

If I understand you correctly sorta, depends what you mean by "the snow leopard disk" tho.

A PC BIOS cannot boot the SL DVD directly, we usually use a boot-132 based boot CD and then swap in the SL installer DVD. Your BIOS must be set to the disc/drive containing the bootloader (Chameleon/PC-EFI/etc....)

If you followed the Lifehacker guide you have a gigabyte EP45 based board, right? You should be able to find a SL bootCD, around here somewhere, generic would work but you should be able to find a EP45 one that should do, I saw a EP45-DS3L/UD3L one around recently that looked nice.

Now... I'm assuming you still have a functional install of Chameleon/PC-EFI on your OSX drive? (drive selector at startup?)

If so, you could re-do part of the lifehacker route & create a "SL install DVD" on a USB thumbdrive that your existing chameleon/PC-EFI is capable of booting and go from there

ok, think we're getting on the same page, still have the part where I can select which drive I want to boot, and I think I know how to change it to boot off of a usb stick in the bios, and I know how to make the life hacker stick, so... when I boot off of the stick will there be an option to fix the old drive/get my apps from it or something? I prob just need to just try it out and then stop when I get to a specific part that I'm not sure about.

ok, think we're getting on the same page, still have the part where I can select which drive I want to boot, and I think I know how to change it to boot off of a usb stick in the bios, and I know how to make the life hacker stick, so... when I boot off of the stick will there be an option to fix the old drive/get my apps from it or something? I prob just need to just try it out and then stop when I get to a specific part that I'm not sure about.

You won't need to set the BIOS to boot off the USB stick, the copy of Chameleon still on your OSX drive will work to boot the lifehacker install stick

"when I boot off of the stick will there be an option to fix the old drive/get my apps from it or something"

Not specifically, no. First I would try Disk Utility & repair disk permissions, but reinstalling OSX on top of your existing OSX install should fix your kext issues

You won't need to set the BIOS to boot off the USB stick, the copy of Chameleon still on your OSX drive will work to boot the lifehacker install stick

"when I boot off of the stick will there be an option to fix the old drive/get my apps from it or something"

Not specifically, no. First I would try Disk Utility & repair disk permissions, but reinstalling OSX on top of your existing OSX install should fix your kext issues

Will installing the osx on top erase docs/apps/settings etc...

Also, I think i do need to change it around in my bios, because it was initially set so I wouldn't have to change it around, but I changed it while it was working so that I didn't have to boot off the stick all the time....

Will installing the osx on top erase docs/apps/settings etc...

Also, I think i do need to change it around in my bios, because it was initially set so I wouldn't have to change it around, but I changed it while it was working so that I didn't have to boot off the stick all the time....

It shouldn't erase anything at all, it won't be touching your /users/ folder

Worst case scenario it still doesn't boot, and you boot off another drive to manually salvage your stuff, or try another method to fix it.

This should work with either BIOS setting

Good luck

It shouldn't erase anything at all, it won't be touching your /users/ folder

Worst case scenario it still doesn't boot, and you boot off another drive to manually salvage your stuff, or try another method to fix it.

This should work with either BIOS setting

Good luck

ok thanks, will get to it one of these days and report back