10.6.2 doesn't work with 8800GT EFI Strings

Bidule200

140 posts in this topic

I think the post is not solved.

Anyone knows how to make work NVidia cards with new apple kexts (10.6.2) ?

Please, tell us the method.

Grets.

Sorry for my bad english.

Mine problem with Black or Blue screen is solved just changing the monitor connector in the output of graphic card.

Snow with dsdt, in 10.6.2 update, the screen was black (or blue).

My graphic card Nvidia GForce 8600 GT has two outputs. I was using the farthest of the motherboard.

Then i changed the connexion from one output (the farthest of motherborad) to the one other (the closer of motherboard) And voila, It Works....

Thanks a lot.

Grets.

Replacing the drivers with the old ones is NOT a fix. It's a cop out.

Really? See, I find that my system is pretty 'fixed' with the 10.6.1 NV kexts... Can anyone explain what exactly we are missing by using them instead of the latest 10.6.2 kexts? For me, OpenCL/OpenGL/QE/CI/etc (and a decent frame rate to boot) is all working quite well with the 10.6.1 kexts. Should someone find a way to make the 10.6.2 kexts work just as well, well then, great! In the meantime, IMHO, I suggest that everyone stop concerning themselves over something that does not exist yet (eg. blu ray support) and consider moving on to more important things. I mean, really... what are you missing from the 10.6.2 kext? Is something not working right for you with the 10.6.1 NV? Sheesh. Personally, I'll take my 'cop out' and continue to be productive on my hackintosh (or worry about say, getting sleep working better or fixing Fn+brightness issues in DSDT) instead of rueing over what seems to be a generally buggy or screwed up 10.6.2 kext that does nothing for me... YMMV, of course.

A Question which comes to my mind: are there real Macs with HDMI Ports? Maybe Apple just didn't take out only Atom Support?

I'm not aware of one, though I do believe there were a few with DVI ports in the past. Nowadays, everything Apple's releasing has a DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort (same thing only smaller) so yes - it's entirely possible that mods were made to the 10.6.2 kext that cause problems when trying to use an HDCP-enabled device over an HDMI port (which otherwise acts just like DVI when a non-HDCP capable monitor is connected). That could explain why non-HDCP monitors work fine with 10.6.2 kext while HDMI+HDCP capable monitors cause WindowServer to hang.

I have a mini-DisplayPort / HDMI adapter for my MacBook Pro 13" and it's on 10.6.2 now.

Considering that Geforce 9400m uses the nVidia drivers, I'll try to connect it to my HD TV to see if it freezes.

It won't prove anything but it could help to know what's going on.

I have a mini-DisplayPort / HDMI adapter for my MacBook Pro 13" and it's on 10.6.2 now.

Considering that Geforce 9400m uses the nVidia drivers, I'll try to connect it to my HD TV to see if it freezes.

It won't prove anything but it could help to know what's going on.

Well, I am very curious about that. If your MacBook also freezes, than I would guess that it's a Apple Problem.

By the way, someone mentioned, that replacing the new kext by the old ones wouldn't solve the problem. Indeed exactly this method solved the issue for me (at least for now).

Adding to the chorus,

The NVDA 10.6.1 fixed my black screen issues. I'm running the EP45-UD3R and an 8800GT with the EFI Strings in the com.Apple.Boot.plist. I have it connected to a 52" LCD TV with the DVI/HDMI cable. All was working well under 10.6.1 but update to 10.6.2 locked me into a seemingly unresolvable black screen. Thanks to the good suggestions of using the 2 NVDA kexts from 10.6.1, everything works again. You guys are awesome. Moocho Grass!!! Not sure about a better work-around than this one.

Adding to the chorus,

The NVDA 10.6.1 fixed my black screen issues. I'm running the EP45-UD3R and an 8800GT with the EFI Strings in the com.Apple.Boot.plist. I have it connected to a 52" LCD TV with the DVI/HDMI cable. All was working well under 10.6.1 but update to 10.6.2 locked me into a seemingly unresolvable black screen. Thanks to the good suggestions of using the 2 NVDA kexts from 10.6.1, everything works again. You guys are awesome. Moocho Grass!!! Not sure about a better work-around than this one.

Well for it's not an solution to replace new kext by old ones. In my opinion, there must be a reason why Apple developes new kext. If the old ones are good enough I cannot understand why people update to 10.6.2? 10.6.1 was also very good.

I think there must be an solution without older kext an it would be perfekt if this solution does not toucht vanilla.

Has anyone heard about this issue anywhere else? The only site where I found information concerning this issue was the site mentioned here before.

Has anyone an idea how we can really fix it?

BTW I have the same problem with my 9800 GTX+ 512MB DVI/VGA card

Hello everyone,

my 8800GT works perfectly with 10.6.1,

but on 10.6.2 I get a black screen on boot.

But when I erase the HEX string from com.apple.boot.plist

I can boot in VESA mode (800x600 with no acceleration at all, and of course no QE/CI).

I already tried to get the 8800GT working by injecting the code directly to the DSDT.aml,

it works for 10.6.1 as expected but on 10.6.2 I get a black screen again.

Any help will be very appreciated,

because I begin to get mad on this :unsure:

Well for it's not an solution to replace new kext by old ones.

Yes it is. It may not be an ideal solution, but it does solve the problem, which is that HDCP-enabled displays don't work on hackintoshes with Nvidia 8xxx/9xxx cards with the kexts provided in 10.6.2, which is that there is no known fix for this issue without rolling back to the Nvidia kexts from 10.6.1.

In my opinion, there must be a reason why Apple developes new kext.

That's probably not even an opinion, it's probably a fact. But then again, Nvidia and ATI update their graphics drivers for Windows monthly or more frequently sometimes. Does anyone really notice a difference, most of the time? When my Radeon 4850x2 wasn't supported, and then it was, I noticed a difference. Other than that... not so much. Most of these updates are very minimal at best.

If the old ones are good enough I cannot understand why people update to 10.6.2? 10.6.1 was also very good.

There was a metric s@$!-ton of things fixed in 10.6.2, but nary a mention of Nvidia graphics updates. Why update to 10.6.2? It fixes s@$!. Why update to 10.6.2 and (even temporarily perhaps) revert to the Nvidia kexts from 10.6.1? 'cause that is currently the only known way to update to 10.6.2 when experiencing the WindowServer freeze issue on an Nvidia-equipped hackintosh.

I think there must be an solution without older kext an it would be perfekt if this solution does not toucht vanilla.

Has anyone heard about this issue anywhere else? The only site where I found information concerning this issue was the site mentioned here before.

Has anyone an idea how we can really fix it?

I think it's possible that there's a solution, and possible that there's not. A video driver (kext) is a complex thing, and if Apple and/or Nvidia have tweaked the code in some way to prevent or remove support for (think Atom) HDCP over certain ports or port-types, there's a chance that we'll be using the 10.6.1 kext for a very, very loooooooooong time. That said, I'd love to see a fix that incorporates the latest kexts (be they 10.6.2, 10.6.3 or whatever) but I'm not holding my breath, and please, people... stop saying 'rolling back to 10.6.1 kext is not a solution' when it clearly is a solution, even if you don't like the definition of "solution"... It's getting old, fast.

I think it's possible that there's a solution, and possible that there's not. A video driver (kext) is a complex thing, and if Apple and/or Nvidia have tweaked the code in some way to prevent or remove support for (think Atom) HDCP over certain ports or port-types, there's a chance that we'll be using the 10.6.1 kext for a very, very loooooooooong time. That said, I'd love to see a fix that incorporates the latest kexts (be they 10.6.2, 10.6.3 or whatever) but I'm not holding my breath, and please, people... stop saying 'rolling back to 10.6.1 kext is not a solution' when it clearly is a solution, even if you don't like the definition of "solution"... It's getting old, fast.

Don't take it personal dude, but its called a "workaround"...... nothing more nothing less....

and the Atom support has been hacked --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

so me thinks we'll see a real solution for this soon.......

I have some strange issues with my 8800GT (ASUS 1GB).

(To the point I`m considering getting an ATI Radeon HD 4870).

I never got the black screen, kernel panics etc.

But after 10.6.2, Quartz Composer is not working, every screensaver but 2 says they are incompatible with my version of OSX, and the flurry screensaver is choppy, and looks weird :(

VLC: no picture just sound.

BoinxTV: worked like a charm in 10.6.1, complains about lack of Quartz Composer support on my hardware in 10.6.2.

This kinda sucks... (10.6.1 Geforce* & NVD* kexts did not fix this issue).

EDIT:

Not quite sure what did the trick.

Removed all EFI strings from com.apple.Boot.plist (both in /E and in /Library...

Did the GraphicsEnabler Yes in the same file.

Added my device-id in Geforce.kext, NVD*

Ah well, now I got QE and Quartz Composer, even all the screensavers work again :)

-n

Not quite sure what did the trick.

Removed all EFI strings from com.apple.Boot.plist (both in /E and in /Library...

Did the GraphicsEnabler Yes in the same file.

Added my device-id in Geforce.kext, NVD*

Ah well, now I got QE and Quartz Composer, even all the screensavers work again :(

-n

Using an HDMI cable...............??????

Same issue here with the Sony KDL-40W4500 connected to a Geforce 8600GT via DVI->HDMI cable. After the Update to 10.6.2 I got a blackscreen on the TV. Thanks to this great community I solved the problem by installing the kexts from 10.6.1.

But one thing still sucks:

Wenn I boot with the Sony-TV connected everything works fine. But as soon as I connect or disconnect the TV when OSX is running the computer freezes (or only shows a blackscreen no matter what kind of display I connect after that). Can anyone confirm that? Any solutions?

Hello everyone,

I'm really glad that I found this thread, same problem with 9800 GTX+ in 10.6.2. One display connected via DVI works fine, however plugging in my TV on the second DVI port results in a freeze (using a DVI to HDMI cable)

I replaced the kexts with the ones from 10.6.1 deleting the 10.6.2 ones and using kexthelper. Connecting the second display does no longer result in a freeze BUT it is not recognized.

One weird thing is that I lost QE/CI with the 10.6.1 kexts, menu bar is no longer translucent.

So workaround did unfortunately not work for me.

Thanks everyone though! Hopefully someone will come up with a different solution....

Hello everyone,

I'm really glad that I found this thread, same problem with 9800 GTX+ in 10.6.2. One display connected via DVI works fine, however plugging in my TV on the second DVI port results in a freeze (using a DVI to HDMI cable)

I replaced the kexts with the ones from 10.6.1 deleting the 10.6.2 ones and using kexthelper. Connecting the second display does no longer result in a freeze BUT it is not recognized.

One weird thing is that I lost QE/CI with the 10.6.1 kexts, menu bar is no longer translucent.

Thanks everyone though! Hopefully someone will come up with a different solution....

+1 Same bug on my 9800gt

wait a fix it

Hello everyone,

Try using the latest PC-EFI with Graphics Enabler in the com.apple.boot.plist and remove EFI strings and any other custom stuff you may have done to the kext(s). I never had QE/CI after upgrading to 10.6.1, but after upgrading to 10.6.2, I removed my EFI strings and replaced the bootloader (Chameleon RC3) with netkas' latest PC-EFI and after doing that (and downgrading the kexts to 10.6.1 of course) I have full QE/CI/etc. YMMV but that all worked for me.

Don't take it personal dude, but its called a "workaround"...... nothing more nothing less....

and the Atom support has been hacked --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

so me thinks we'll see a real solution for this soon.......

Aware about the Atom, dude... also, if you look at it from that perspective ("workaround" vs "solution" etc), then you've got to also admit that everything we do to get OS X to even run on a non-Apple piece of hardware is a "workaround." Modding kexts no matter what version of the pristine retail OS they come from = workaround. Adding kexts not necessary to run OS X on Apple hardware = workaround. Bootloaders = workaround. So seriously, (and by the way, I'm not taking anything personal) when there is (currently) no other way to get HDCP enabled monitors to work on hackintoshes with Nvidia 8xxx/9xxx cards after an OS X 10.6.2 update -- is using the slightly-less recent (but not a hell of a lot different) kext really a 'cop-out?' Mmm... no. No more than using fakesmc.kext is a cop out to sourcing an soldering a genuine Apple SMC chip to your existing motherboard is a cop-out. :D