GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

iFabio has a topic where he creates an installer from the latest C2RC5 trunk;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

an update on my story: finally i had success by installing the aserebln 1.1.9 bootloader.

the bad thing: the reason for the messed up bootloader seems to be an incorrect hd-handling. every some shutdowns the harddrive's logic structure gets seriously damaged. guess the "boot" file got damaged this way too. repair needs to build up a new directory then each time.

i remember such a behaviour from a mains power blackout... anyone ever experienced such a thing on their machines? this happened to two different drives, one samsung and one wd. so i don't hink it's about the drives.

sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks (again) for your ideas on this.

macke

My computer specs:

- EX58-UD5 F12 BIOS

- Core i7 920

- 12 Gb Kit DDR3 1333 Patriot Viper Series

- EVGA NVidia GTX 285 2GB

I have a 256Mb USB, and I installed Chameleon 2RC4. I have Snow Leopard installed (done with EFiX), and I would like to use it, instead reinstall again.

To have a dsdt file, I downloaded the "DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_920_W3520_v2.zip", that is the best for my specs (I think), but what kexts I need to insert in the USB and where? I need to do something more? (I know that I need to do the steps 6 and 7, but I don't know if I need to do something with the steps 18 and 19).

I would be glad to assist since I'm am a strong advocate for installing the bootloader onto a usb flash drive. Anyone who is interested should try the following:

1) place the usb stick into a working usb port and launch apple's disk utility

2) format the usb stick as GUID Mac OS Extended (Journaling is not necessary for this application)

3) quit disk utility

4) select the usb stick in the finder and rename EFIBOOT1 (you'll know why later)

5) press command-I (get info)

6) in the EFIBOOT1 info window, authenticate by clicking the lock in the lower righthand corner

7) Deselect (uncheck) "Ignore ownership on this volume"

8) Close info window and reboot your computer (because of a weird Mac OS bug)

9) After reboot open EFIBOOT1 in the finder and create the 5 folders with the same hierarchy you see in the picture below

10) download the bootloader of your choice and place the 3 files in the Bootloader directory of EFIBOOT1

11) unzip the attached file below and place the two files in EFIBOOT1 in the location indicated by the picture below

12) launch terminal and type "disktutil list" without the quotes for steps 12, 14, 15, and 16

13) look for EFIBOOT1 in the list. To the right you will see an identifier diskXs1. Make a note of the value of X.

14) type "sudo fdisk -f /Volumes/EFIBOOT1/Installer/Bootloader/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX" replacing X with the value in step 13

15) type "sudo dd if=/Volumes/EFIBOOT1/Installer/Bootloader/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1" replacing X with the value in step 13

16) type "sudo cp /Volumes/EFIBOOT1/Installer/Bootloader/boot /Volumes/EFIBOOT1/"

17) put whatever kexts you want in Extra/Stored_Kexts folder (only fakesmc.kext is required)

18) Create a kext cache by double-clicking on Update_Boot_Cache

19) The last three things you need are com.apple.boot.plist, DSDT.aml, and smbios.plist. You can find these pretty easily by perusing the forums. Place these in /Extra.

20) Reboot, hold the Delete key down to enter BIOS. Set the usb stick to be the boot drive. Save BIOS and exit.

21) The computer will reboot. Right before the bootloader launches hold the F8 key.

22) Select the drive you would like to boot from using the arrow keys and press enter.

Good luck. That should hopefully work for you. Please check all your spellings including case. Your boot stick should look just like mine except for the kexts. Also, please note the com.apple.boot.32.plist is identical to com.apple.boot.plist with the exception of the x86 flag. I don't normally use the 32 version. I just keep it around in case I need to switch back to 32 bit mode.

post-405332-1284443490_thumb.png

files.zip

I would be glad to assist since I'm am a strong advocate for installing the bootloader onto a usb flash drive. Anyone who is interested should try the following:

1) place the usb stick into a working usb port and launch apple's disk utility

2) format the usb stick as GUID Mac OS Extended (Journaling is not necessary for this application)

3) quit disk utility

4) select the usb stick in the finder and rename EFIBOOT1 (you'll know why later)

5) press command-I (get info)

6) in the EFIBOOT1 info window, authenticate by clicking the lock in the lower righthand corner

7) Deselect (uncheck) "Ignore ownership on this volume"

8) Close info window and reboot your computer (because of a weird Mac OS bug)

9) After reboot open EFIBOOT1 in the finder and create the 5 folders with the same hierarchy you see in the picture below

10) download the bootloader of your choice and place the 3 files in the Bootloader directory of EFIBOOT1

11) unzip the attached file below and place the two files in EFIBOOT1 in the location indicated by the picture below

12) launch terminal and type "disktutil list" without the quotes for steps 12, 14, 15, and 16

13) look for EFIBOOT1 in the list. To the right you will see an identifier diskXs1. Make a note of the value of X.

14) type "sudo fdisk -f /Volumes/EFIBOOT1/Installer/Bootloader/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX" replacing X with the value in step 13

15) type "sudo dd if=/Volumes/EFIBOOT1/Installer/Bootloader/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1" replacing X with the value in step 13

16) type "sudo cp /Volumes/EFIBOOT1/Installer/Bootloader/boot /Volumes/EFIBOOT1/"

17) put whatever kexts you want in Extra/Stored_Kexts folder (only fakesmc.kext is required)

18) Create a kext cache by double-clicking on Update_Boot_Cache

19) The last three things you need are com.apple.boot.plist, DSDT.aml, and smbios.plist. You can find these pretty easily by perusing the forums. Place these in /Extra.

20) Reboot, hold the Delete key down to enter BIOS. Set the usb stick to be the boot drive. Save BIOS and exit.

21) The computer will reboot. Right before the bootloader launches hold the F8 key.

22) Select the drive you would like to boot from using the arrow keys and press enter.

Good luck. That should hopefully work for you. Please check all your spellings including case. Your boot stick should look just like mine except for the kexts. Also, please note the com.apple.boot.32.plist is identical to com.apple.boot.plist with the exception of the x86 flag. I don't normally use the 32 version. I just keep it around in case I need to switch back to 32 bit mode.

First of all, thank you very much for your reply.

I am glad that you have enough patience to explain every single step. I appreciate it.

I had already done that (finally I used AsereBLN 1.1.9, if exists one better, tell me), but my problem is different.

My questions are the following (I put numbers because is easier reply):

1) I would like to know, why I need to do the cache (in my current config, I didn't do that, and it works).

2) To put the extra kexts, I use the folder Extra/10.6/Extensions/ and there I put fakesmc.kext. There is any difference to use that rather than use Extra/Stored_Kexts?

3) I need to put one kext more in order to use the ethernet card. But, I don't know why I can't put in Extra folder but S/L/E. Why? There are any way to use inside in the USB? I would like to use an usb booter and don't install anything extra in the installation disk to make it work properly. If EFi-X creators could, I am pretty sure it should be any way to do**.

4) If you have a computer pretty similar than mine, why do you need all of that kexts?

The next questions, may will be realted about configuration around com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist.

Thanks for your help, I hope you can help me with the questions.

Sorry for my english.

Cheers.

** I have now my system with EFi-X, so if anyone needs some info, or knows the way to collect that info to reproduce any behaviour of EFi-X (if exists any positive part on it...), tell me and I will provide the info that you could require.

My questions are the following (I put numbers because is easier reply):

1) I would like to know, why I need to do the cache (in my current config, I didn't do that, and it works).

2) To put the extra kexts, I use the folder Extra/10.6/Extensions/ and there I put fakesmc.kext. There is any difference to use that rather than use Extra/Stored_Kexts?

3) I need to put one kext more in order to use the ethernet card. But, I don't know why I can't put in Extra folder but S/L/E. Why? There are any way to use inside in the USB? I would like to use an usb booter and don't install anything extra in the installation disk to make it work properly. If EFi-X creators could, I am pretty sure it should be any way to do**.

4) If you have a computer pretty similar than mine, why do you need all of that kexts?

1 & 2. A boot cache is technically only needed if you are have kexts that are plists only. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and LegacyIntel82574L.kext are really just plists. Whatever you do don't have kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ and an Extensions.mkext. That causes problems. Stored_Kexts allows you to have kexts in a folder that the bootloader doesn't see. It's a convention taken from Digital Dreamers installer script.

3. Nope, as far as I know you have to install a ethernet driver for the realtek chip on your mobo. The alternative, would be to purchase an ethernet card that works with with Mac OS built in drivers. You can find a list of such cards by googling.

4. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is purely cosmetic.

LegacyIntel82574L.kext is a plist that makes Mac OS built in driver work with my ethernet card.

PlatformUUID.kext is so that my software licenses don't get messed up. All the C2R4 based bootloaders changed how hardware UUIDs are generated. By using PlatformUUID.kext I get to keep my old hardware UUID.

1 & 2. A boot cache is technically only needed if you are have kexts that are plists only. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and LegacyIntel82574L.kext are really just plists. Whatever you do don't have kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ and an Extensions.mkext. That causes problems. Stored_Kexts allows you to have kexts in a folder that the bootloader doesn't see. It's a convention taken from Digital Dreamers installer script.

3. Nope, as far as I know you have to install a ethernet driver for the realtek chip on your mobo. The alternative, would be to purchase an ethernet card that works with with Mac OS built in drivers. You can find a list of such cards by googling.

4. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is purely cosmetic.

LegacyIntel82574L.kext is a plist that makes Mac OS built in driver work with my ethernet card.

PlatformUUID.kext is so that my software licenses don't get messed up. All the C2R4 based bootloaders changed how hardware UUIDs are generated. By using PlatformUUID.kext I get to keep my old hardware UUID.

Thanks again, for your support.

5. First of all, I would like to say, that I don't know what is a plist. Sorry.

2. Why do you want, that the bootloader doesn't see fakesmc.kext? I think that it needs to boot, isn't it?

4. What do you mean? Is related with orangeicon.kext and is not needed anymore? I don't understand the orangeicon issue...

3. a.) And there is anyway to use the kext from /extra instead /S/L/E? why not? And modifying the kext?

3. b.) Maybe exists a dsdt solution. With the EFiX device installed in my desktop, I see in the profile system:

ethernet:

Tipo: Controlador Ethernet

Bus: PCI

ID del fabricante: 0x10ec

ID del dispositivo: 0x8168

ID del fabricante del subsistema: 0x1458

ID del subsistema: 0xe000

ID de la revisión: 0x0003

Anchura del enlace: x1

Nombre BSD: en0

Nombre de kext: AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Ubicación: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Versión: 1.1

In both adapters, but he second the property "Nombre BSD: en1", others are the same.

So, maybe there is any way to do that works with generic kexts? If someone needs some extra info (maybe dsdt of EFi-X?), tell me.

Cheers.

These are my settings for a 2.66 GHz Xeon W3520 with 6x2GB 1333 MHz memory.

Up to 3.7 GHz all voltages can be left at auto.

`About This Mac' only goes up to 4.3 GHz, edit /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings if you want it to show over that;

//"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "4.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon";

Anyone know why OSX will only display 4.3GHz max? I can manually set it but I was wondering why the limitation.

:unsure::unsure:

Help dood , I am driving crazy, every five days i have a reset of the cmos I have followed step to step your guide ,but without no positive result this is mine dsdt, where it is the error.

Can you control? Thank's

Sure of a your participation I augur you good day. :)

:)Dood ? :angel:

As there are now 64bit drivers for my logitech 3d navigator, i've finally taken the plunge and switched tot he 64 bit kernel without any problems. geekbench gives a slight improvement of 11544 (about 80 higher than a 32bit kernel).

There doesn't seem to be any info I can find on what gives this improvement, anybody got any links etc?

Cheers

Jon

Wonder if anyone can shed a light on this :

Had a really hard time to get my new GA-X58 A rev. 2.0 (ATI HD 5770) BIOS FB- i7 950 to work in 64 bit ..

though I am far away from a stable 10.6.4 system. (see sig)

Question one : I took one of the rare custom DSDTs for this motherboard (from Tonymac database :

- edited by Macman - I am using Cham/Asere BL and Kabyls ATI 5xxx bootfile (thanks)

I have:

E/ :EVOreboot/fakesmc/NullCPUPmangement .. sound by usb> DAC

No chance to get get rid of NullcpuPowermangement without KP , so no Turbo /no states. Temps are 45 deg. C (Win7 - 38 C - DVID)

@ Boot AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is loaded but no AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts.

right now no clue , what to do , as I am far away from coding skills , which leads to :

Question 2 :

Old Extremsystems fart , with nice battle years ago with Andy Yang, Fugger etc. So OC isnt really my problem , but new to 1366/ i7 .

Right of the box the i 7 CPU (selected batch) goes straight to 10 200 with 3 GHz (obviously no Turbo mode kicking in) VERY NICE.

Up with the thingy : 3,6 , 4,0 GHz , 4 ,2 ... 4,3 on air (Meghalem) yepp .. QPI/CPU/RAM barrier ..well o.k. not bad. (my Mushkin Redlines arent selected > 2GHz)

But whats this : dissapointed with the scaling of the rig : scores 13000 - 13.200 @ 4,2-4,28

far awy from the results here. :)

Anyway ..I attach my DSDT .. may be there is some spare time left over , and one of the coding

champs can have a look at it , sorry for my school english.

@ 3 GHz :

post-253749-1285073770_thumb.png

DSDT_GA_X58A_UD5_2.0_FB.aml.zip

Wonder if anyone can shed a light on this :

Had a really hard time to get my new GA-X58 A rev. 2.0 (ATI HD 5770) BIOS FB- i7 950 to work in 64 bit ..

though I am far away from a stable 10.6.4 system. (see sig)…

Here I've modified mine for a 950. Personally I like to stay away from bootloader injectors. So speed stepping is built into my DSDT. I also had my two GFX cards and Airport card in there too but took them out so it wouldn't confuse you. As for BIOS settings and overclocking that's another story but be sure to turn on all power saving features. Turbo Boost is OK too.

For reference, I have my 930 going at 4.2GHz and it clocks in around 14500. At 4.4GHz it's 15000. My idle temps are around 32-33 celsius, under Prime95 load they're about 75 degrees but I'm using a Corsair H70.

X58A_UD5_acpi_dsdt_r7_i7950.dsl.zip

Your DSDT looks fine mate.

Are you using GenerateP and C States=Yes in boot plist?

D

Hi FKA

Thanks a lot

yes it compiled without errors

P and C states ...No i dont use it

______

fine ...will try it

Greetz

a

Here I've modified mine for a 950. Personally I like to stay away from bootloader injectors. So speed stepping is built into my DSDT. I also had my two GFX cards and Airport card in there too but took them out so it wouldn't confuse you. As for BIOS settings and overclocking that's another story but be sure to turn on all power saving features. Turbo Boost is OK too.

For reference, I have my 930 going at 4.2GHz and it clocks in around 14500. At 4.4GHz it's 15000. My idle temps are around 32-33 celsius, under Prime95 load they're about 75 degrees but I'm using a Corsair H70.

X58A_UD5_acpi_dsdt_r7_i7950.dsl.zip

Hi kdwag

Yepp gonna try the DSDt immediately ...thanks !

These are phantastic results ..

I have no problems at all with temps

using a Meghalem with two 14cm Noiseblockers

temps are similar as yours

and my RAM speeds are excellent (settings 6-8-6-20 @1600 with the Mushkins Redline)

Geekbench RAM score : 7800 @ 4,1

What bothers me a lot is that the system seems to stop scaling over 3,2 GHz

This is like a barrier : @ 3,0 I get a score of 10480 , need another 700 Mhz for 11000

cpu has a good batch , mobo goes far over 200 BLK, mushkins @2000 with 1,6 V ...mmmmhh

Anyway its only fun and I thank you all for your kind help

armin

Hi FKA

Thanks a lot

yes it compiled without errors

P and C states ...No i dont use it

______

fine ...will try it

Greetz

a

Hi kdwag

Yepp gonna try the DSDt immediately ...thanks !

These are phantastic results ..

I have no problems at all with temps

using a Meghalem with two 14cm Noiseblockers

temps are similar as yours

and my RAM speeds are excellent (settings 6-8-6-20 @1600 with the Mushkins Redline)

Geekbench RAM score : 7800 @ 4,1

What bothers me a lot is that the system seems to stop scaling over 3,2 GHz

This is like a barrier : @ 3,0 I get a score of 10480 , need another 700 Mhz for 11000

cpu has a good batch , mobo goes far over 200 BLK, mushkins @2000 with 1,6 V ...mmmmhh

Anyway its only fun and I thank you all for your kind help

armin

how did you manage to apply the settings from kdawg's dsdt.dsl?

i've been trying for HOURS, with DSDTSE, diffmerge, textwrangler.. nothing seems to work :(

could you or Kdawg send me a dsdt.aml that I could just drop in without his network card or gfx settings instead so i could plug in my gfx settings and give that a go?

with my current dsdt im only getting 14,000 at 4.32GHz , when i used to get 14,260 on my other system at only 4.2Ghz

how did you manage to apply the settings from kdawg's dsdt.dsl?

i've been trying for HOURS, with DSDTSE, diffmerge, textwrangler.. nothing seems to work :)

could you or Kdawg send me a dsdt.aml that I could just drop in without his network card or gfx settings instead so i could plug in my gfx settings and give that a go?

with my current dsdt im only getting 14,000 at 4.32GHz , when i used to get 14,260 on my other system at only 4.2Ghz

I don't want to state the obvious, but did you unzip it? I don't understand why you're having so much difficulty.

I wouldn't just "drop" mine in without knowing what everything does. Especially because I know you have a different board.

I don't want to state the obvious, but did you unzip it? I don't understand why you're having so much difficulty.

I wouldn't just "drop" mine in without knowing what everything does. Especially because I know you have a different board.

of course it's unzipped

i opened up the dsdt.dsl with dsdtse and dropping parts of mine to it or parts of yours to mine compile just fine with no errors but then when I have something usable and I compile it the end product looks nothing like your DSDT, it just goes back to mine.

other dsdt."AML" files on my system are able to be edited and compiled via all kinds of different software with no problems. .dsl isn't acting the same though.

i've also tried installing the DSDT.dsl and then getting that DSDT.aml to play around with, but once I open it, it looks nothing like yours...

of course it's unzipped

i opened up the dsdt.dsl with dsdtse and dropping parts of mine to it or parts of yours to mine compile just fine with no errors but then when I have something usable and I compile it the end product looks nothing like your DSDT, it just goes back to mine.

other dsdt."AML" files on my system are able to be edited and compiled via all kinds of different software with no problems. .dsl isn't acting the same though.

i've also tried installing the DSDT.dsl and then getting that DSDT.aml to play around with, but once I open it, it looks nothing like yours...

That sounds very strange. Not sure whats going on. Here is that same DSDT in aml format. X58A_UD5_acpi_dsdt_r7_i7950.aml.zip

I've also stripped out all my add on cards. It does however contain c and p states for a i7 950.

That sounds very strange. Not sure whats going on. Here is that same DSDT in aml format. X58A_UD5_acpi_dsdt_r7_i7950.aml.zip

I've also stripped out all my add on cards. It does however contain c and p states for a i7 950.

Thanks a lot mate, so nice , Boston intelligency

here it worked out of the box - I have c p states for the i 7 950 !

and for the first time only fakesmc in E/

(I have a RME USB -DAC so no need for audio kexts)

And its impressive : >11100 @ only 3.0

>13300 @ 3,6.. temps 34 c idle ..full load with Linx (Win7-stripped) 52 C

on air with Meghalem Cooler (2 Noiseblockers 14 cm in - out)

Back to fine tuning my old english motocycle Sissy BSA Goldstar -she is much more forgiving :)

and has built in p and c- states at 130 km/h

signature updated

post-253749-1285229304_thumb.png @ 3.0

someone might have posted this before, but i'll post it just in case:

RealtekRTL81xx.kext

is a relatively new network kext that provides support for many realtek ethernets

Some people have said it has on their chipsets given them a faster connection than ReaktekR1000SL

I wonde if thats just placebo updating or true....

It supports all the chipsets that RealtekR1000SL did, plus newer chipsets.

RealtekRTL81xx.kext

is a relatively new network kext that provides support for many realtek ethernets

Some people have said it has on their chipsets given them a faster connection than ReaktekR1000SL

Thanks ANARCHiNTOSH, and Realtek also released an update to their's the next day.

I'd like feedback on both.

Just a heads up I lost all my temperature readings when istat menus updated to 3.10, I was able to find the older version and I'm back up and running.

Me Too, I also had to re-install the older version.

Jon

RealtekRTL81xx.kext

Im on the rev 2 board and used the hacked IONetworkingfamily.kext

it's still there and I cant find a vanilla kext anywhere. all you guys using the RealtekRTL81xx.kext, did you just selete the realtekR1000SL.kext and drop this one in there? do you still use the vanilla, Apple IONetworkingfamily.kext? and if so, could someone please send this to me.. as I still have about a 15 second gab before my ethernet works when I come back from sleep. Also, my connection is called "Ethernet" and not "en0" like it used to be called on my rev 1 board.