GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Pernickety? :) UD5 and Extreme share the same BIOS, PCB and on-board hardware. In one word: identical. The massive cooler of the Extreme is not an issue.

Bye.

Are you assuming the BIOS is the same between the GA-EX58-EXTREME and the GA-EX58-UD5, or did you check?

Gigabyte releases a separate BIOS update for each.

If you do a diff on the dsdt.dsl from each, you will see differences.

I don't mean to interrupt the thread, but am wondering if anyone has a GTX480 running with our rig? I'm using 10.6.5 and BIOS 12 with the GA-EX58 (and D00d's dsdt.dsl) and am having major issues after swapping my GTX285 for this GTX480. The card will allow me to use 2560x1600 and looks great in the System Profiler, but scrolling is laggy, and games like World of Warcraft / Starcraft II just hang the system outright. I have tried Aquamac's Fermi drivers, and also the new nVidia Mac drivers to no avail. Any advice greatly appreciated ....

I don't mean to interrupt the thread, but am wondering if anyone has a GTX480 running with our rig? I'm using 10.6.5 and BIOS 12 with the GA-EX58 (and D00d's dsdt.dsl) and am having major issues after swapping my GTX285 for this GTX480. The card will allow me to use 2560x1600 and looks great in the System Profiler, but scrolling is laggy, and games like World of Warcraft / Starcraft II just hang the system outright. I have tried Aquamac's Fermi drivers, and also the new nVidia Mac drivers to no avail. Any advice greatly appreciated ....

I'm running the exact same configuration and everything's working fine, with the exception of GPU Flame Fractal Renderer reporting 240 CUDA Cores instead of 480 lol. No more tearing anyway. If you used Aquamac's Fermi package, boot up, reinstall 10.6.5, reinstall the new Nvidia Package, then reboot. If you're running Mac Pro 4,1 edit AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 by changing Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice06c0, run Kext Utility and reboot.

Edit: PS Thank you so much d00d! I sold my 3-way classified, because I found a used UD5 for $100 and this thread got me up and running in about 5 minutes! It was the most painless installation ever and this board has to be THE most optimized X58 board to date.

Just use only this code

Device (FRWR)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00060000) // find your address in Ioreg
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x04)
						{
							"fwports", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"fwswappedbib", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

and do not add anything to

Method (_L0B, 0, NotSerialized)

and

do not add to firewire

Name (_GPE, 0x0B)

Mate thanks for confirming our findings. Indeed, without the Name (_GPE, 0x0B) value/entry in DSDT, the conservation messages always appears.

I am curious: the value fwswappedbib in the FRWR device, where did you get it from? I have really looked around many pieces of code, and have never found it at all. What does it do? Do you know?

Thanks.

been having problems with the system not coming out of sleep after 10.6.5 update.

here is my DSDT. http://cloud.paulodourado.com/3RDw

i cant quite figure out what's causing the problem.. no issues with booting or shutting down though. and the system does seem to "enter sleep" much quicker after the update.

im on an x58a ud3r fb bios

gtx 260

12 gigs

ssd boot drive + hdd

ive had no problems with this setup for 6 months, until I upgraded to 10.6.5

also not sure if this helps, but if I place the system in sleep and then wake it shortly after (2 minutes or so) it wakes just fine. If i wait a little longer it gets hung up and won't awake, causing me to have to reboot manually and lose any unsaved work..

been having problems with the system not coming out of sleep after 10.6.5 update.

I am not sure if this is your case, but I noticed that using RTGMac_v2.0.5 or Lnx2Mac ethernet drivers will cause black screen on awake after longer sleep.

For me this have been happening with both GTX 260 and GTX 285 video cards.

The solution is to use RealtekR1000SL.kext

Hello dOOd,

Could you tell us if you have tried to make the GA-EX58-UD5 patch files for the DSDT autopatcher on the MaLd0n's topic (by el coniglio) ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3&start=500

In the app (27/11/2010) there are now files for GA-EX58-Extreme and EX58 - GA-X58A , are they complete like your DSDT files or generic EX58 ?

Thanks a lot for your work on EX58-UD5 DSDT patching

:)

Hello dOOd,

Could you tell us if you have tried to make the GA-EX58-UD5 patch files for the DSDT autopatcher on the MaLd0n's topic (by el coniglio) ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3&start=500

In the app (27/11/2010) there are now files for GA-EX58-Extreme and EX58 - GA-X58A , are they complete like your DSDT files or generic EX58 ?

Thanks a lot for your work on EX58-UD5 DSDT patching

;)

I don't know anything about that application.

Hi all,

I'm a total noob and pretty much only got my hackintosh working by happy accident.

I'm using the GA-EX58-UD5, Core i7 930 and Radeon HD 4870 --

I used Nawcom's ModCD and MyHack Installer 1.1.4 with a genuine Snow Leopard 10.6.0 DVD, I've successfully used the combo update to 10.6.5.

Unfortunately the power management, sleep and wake don't work. Everything else seems to though.

I thought maybe using your DSDT would help, but as I said I'm a noob and totally clueless about how to use it.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone might have for me!

Thanks in advance!

i can confirm that the lnx2mac realtek ethernet driver (RealtekRTL81xx.kext) is noticeably faster than the old Realtek1000SL.kext when browsing the web. this is on my ex58-ud5.

i have not benchmarked either, but it works, is newer, is still being developed, seems to work faster, so i reccommend everyone to update.

Hey d00d, I'm trying to apply these patches to my EVGA X58 SLI3. I've got everything working on it except speedstep, and everyone else with one of these newer EVGA X58 boards, or an older one with a newer bios version, is in the same boat as me. None of us can get it working. No matter what we do, we get a kernel panic unless we use NullCPUPM. The only success I've seen is with the regular X58 SLI board, and only when they use bios version SZ2Z, which I can't use because it's too old for my board. Believe me we've tried everything with the newer bioses, and nothing seems to work.

One thing I noticed is that we have this:

OperationRegion (SPEN, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)
Field (SPEN, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
		,   4, 
	TRAP,   1
}

which is very close to:

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
		,   4, 
	SLPE,   1
}

They both have the same 0x0430 thing. I'm not sure how important that section is though, and the guys using SZ2Z just leave it stock (SPEN) and it works for them. Anyway, if we can get someone like you or mm67 - anyone who really seems to get this stuff - to help us out, we'd all be more than grateful.

Could you tell us if you have tried to make the GA-EX58-UD5 patch files for the DSDT autopatcher on the MaLd0n's topic (by el coniglio)

DTGP

HID/CID

HPET

IRQs

RTC

SMBUS

SHUTDOWN

LPC

ICH10 AHCI

LAN0

REMOVE

RENAME

WAK

you need the DSDT without modification

Power Management

use by Chameleon

or patch the first post of this tutorial

next update

There's a solution to make resume after sleep to work properly without requiring user to tick the "Start up automatically after a power failure" checkbox.

DTGP

HID/CID

HPET

IRQs

RTC

SMBUS

SHUTDOWN

LPC

ICH10 AHCI

LAN0

REMOVE

RENAME

WAK

you need the DSDT without modification

Power Management

use by Chameleon

or patch the first post of this tutorial

next update

Thanks for helping MaLd0n!

Guys, here is my dsdt.aml from EX58-UD5 with F13Q bios made with MaLd0ns Autopatcher.

and was modified manualy by me and MaLd0n.

It has all the modification from the first page of this tutorial and all devices were renamed manualy by MaLd0n!

The F13Q bios is very stable.

I am using Chameleon RC5 trunk r653.

Here is my Extra folder with fakesmc.kext and monitoring plugins and aschar's LegacyInjector_ALC889a_OrangeIconFix.kext

aschar helped me many times!

Big thanks and best regards to aschar for his help!

dsdt.aml.zip

Extra.zip

Hey d00d, I'm trying to apply these patches to my EVGA X58 SLI3. I've got everything working on it except speedstep, and everyone else with one of these newer EVGA X58 boards, or an older one with a newer bios version, is in the same boat as me. None of us can get it working. No matter what we do, we get a kernel panic unless we use NullCPUPM. The only success I've seen is with the regular X58 SLI board, and only when they use bios version SZ2Z, which I can't use because it's too old for my board. Believe me we've tried everything with the newer bioses, and nothing seems to work.

One thing I noticed is that we have this:

OperationRegion (SPEN, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)
 Field (SPEN, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
 {
		 ,   4, 
	 TRAP,   1
 }

which is very close to:

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)
 Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
 {
		 ,   4, 
	 SLPE,   1
 }

They both have the same 0x0430 thing. I'm not sure how important that section is though, and the guys using SZ2Z just leave it stock (SPEN) and it works for them. Anyway, if we can get someone like you or mm67 - anyone who really seems to get this stuff - to help us out, we'd all be more than grateful.

Read the EVGA topic in my signature for how I got NPM working.

Hello,

Many thanks to d00d, ANARCHiNTOSH, x.di for great work on the Realtek HD Audio stuff. I've got 10.6.5 running perfectly on a GA-EX58-UD5, which has an ALC889A, and i'm using the spdif optical port to connect the rig to a surround receiver. Normally, this chip supports upto 192kHz sample rate, however i've never seen it work at this rate on any osx i've had installed on this motherboard (been running 10.5.x -> 10.6.5, mostly via Digital Dreamers tutorials and installers). All windows versions work (to varying degrees of satisfaction) at 192kHz. OsX 10.6.5 seems to only support 96kHz with the HDAEnabler.kext, which is in my EFI partition.

If there is a way to get 192kHz on this mobo/alc889a on 10.6.5 via spdif optical, I would very much like to have it. Been searching the forums for this with no luck.. Willing to test stuff, if anyone can assist where to start.

Thanks much in advance.

Hi d00d and all,

thanks again for the hard work - I upgraded from my GA-EX58-UD5 to a GA-X58A-UD3R and it's kicking along nicely.

At the moment I'm using the onboard Realtek Ethernet with the lnx2mac driver, BUT

d00d - you mentioned using an Intel CT PCI-E card, which I've gotten hold of (as well as a PT), and cannot for love nor money get it to work.

It DOES appear in lspci:

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection

but with the drivers as shipped (now running 10.6.5) OR with the small tree drivers I get nothing in System Profiler or ioreg (and of course nothing in System Pref->Network)

I was just wondering if you had to do anything apart from plug the thing in.

Thanks

Scott

Hi d00d and all,

thanks again for the hard work - I upgraded from my GA-EX58-UD5 to a GA-X58A-UD3R and it's kicking along nicely.

At the moment I'm using the onboard Realtek Ethernet with the lnx2mac driver, BUT

d00d - you mentioned using an Intel CT PCI-E card, which I've gotten hold of (as well as a PT), and cannot for love nor money get it to work.

It DOES appear in lspci:

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection

but with the drivers as shipped (now running 10.6.5) OR with the small tree drivers I get nothing in System Profiler or ioreg (and of course nothing in System Pref->Network)

Thanks

Scott

Well, there's nothing like a bit of research (and replying to your own post).

For some reason I expected the CT to work out of the box. It almost does, and this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4057

explains what to do. Basically adding the PCI vendor IDs etc.

Now I have WoNA working.

Thanks again for everyone involved - I love my Hackintosh!

Scott

ps. now to get my PT working.

Hi d00d and all,

It DOES appear in lspci:

Thanks

Scott

Here is a new one posted to day by candykane:for intel 82574L driver

This is the original apple intel driver but with extra device ID for my super micro X8DAH-i but could work with any other card just add your device ID to the file and install it

IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/Intel82574L/info.plist

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

i can confirm that the lnx2mac realtek ethernet driver (RealtekRTL81xx.kext) is noticeably faster than the old Realtek1000SL.kext when browsing the web. this is on my ex58-ud5.

i have not benchmarked either, but it works, is newer, is still being developed, seems to work faster, so i reccommend everyone to update.

I am using RealtekR1000SL.kext where I have unloaded yours kext?

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 10.6.5 from 10.6.4 and can't get sleep to work. I have been using SleepEnabler previously, but would like to get it working via DSDT. As I am using chameleon RC5, I have installed the DSDT precompiled for that and removed SleepEnabler. Previously I have been using a hand-made DSDT, but that one did not have all the options necessary for sleep. I have left NullPCUPowerManagement in place for the time being.

Now when I try to sleep, the monitor goes blank, but the fans keep spinning. I can't wake up from sleep and reboot is the only option. Please advise.

Thank you,

MPK