[REVIEW] Apple Pro Keyboard

16 posts in this topic

Apple Pro Keyboard Review

Ok guys, i know u have all seen and possibly used one of these keyboards before but my review is from the POV of using the mac keyboard on osx86 on a pc!

I previously had a logitech pro wireless desktop (just used the keyboard) and I was frustrated with getting confused as to which key was the command key ( the modifiers on my system changed every reboot ). So while browsing and looking at the macbook pros (new at the time) i decided that maybe if i bought the keyboard that it would make my osx experience feel more genuine. And solve alot of smaller issues with key-mapping etc.

Looks: 4/5

This is a matter of preference tbh, i think the keyboard looks great its white and has clear plastic on the bottom, it looks nice on my desk next to my custom painted mx1000. the only downfall of its looks is really just that the rest of my hardware is silver and it doesn't match (i did say this was a hackintosh users review) but that isn't the fault of the keyboard as it would fit in with an apple desktop.

Build Quality 5/5

this thing is solid, its quite heavy for its size so it doesn't move around the desk at all and is unlikely 2 break anytime soon. But on a similar note i am unsure how easy it would be to clean any much that works its way under the keys! i will investigate this at a later date. The Keyboard has 2 usb ports on it aswell.

Feel 5/5

I really bought the keyboard for the feel of it. Now when i use my computer it actually feels like a mac and i dont think i could use osx with a pc keyboard and be happy now. the keys are just perfect feeling for me and the keys are nicely spaced apart. The volume and eject buttons are handy too.

Price 4/5

I payed £19 for the keyboard and i think its great value or an object of such high build quality. But i have payed £2.99 for a keyboard before and it did the job! I think the keyboard retails for $29 in the US.

OVERALL 4.5/5

Overall, i am very impressed with the product and would recoment it to anyone using a mac ( or hackintosh ).

In the case of the hackintosh it allows the user to geel more likr they are using a genuine mac and also helps to lower confusion over keymappings.

The extra buttons ( 16 function keys where pc keyboard has 12, volume/mute, and eject) add functionality as well as the two usb ports which i plug my wacom tablet into 1 and leave the other as a space for flash memory.

If you are using a hackintosh and want it to feel more "mac" then this is in my oppinion the easiest way!

got one after reading this thread and love it. as for cleaning i think you can unscrew the base and clean that (the clear base that is). i love how the keys feel and it's pretty quiet.

only thing i'm worried about is the keys turning off white with use.

well have a friend with an older keyboard and it looks like its not as bright as mine but its still the same color all over and it still looks white, cud just b the lighting i guess.

yea u can remove the clear base but its between/under the keys that may be a task.

if i need to do it i will take sum picks and make a guide

this KB is the best.. i really like it.. .good look + good feelings =)

just need some alcoholic solution (thought all of us - computers fans have it) to keep it so whity as stock.

mine is shine as new. it just need a care...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
yea u can remove the clear base but its between/under the keys that may be a task.

if i need to do it i will take sum picks and make a guide

I never thought of taking it apart. Thanks for the tip. I just took it apart and cleaned it with a vacuum. It worked alright, compressed air would have been better. If you do try it, make sure not to tear the ribbon cables that attach the keyboard to the base. I'm glad Apple made it so easy to get inside, only takes a few seconds.