ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

Ok, here I am.

I found a bug in the switch code for the wake procedure, so test the new kext and let me know.

If it doesn't work, please reply and attach the result of

cat /private/var/log/kernel.log | grep RadeonHD

Bye

P.S.-The kext is compiled in 64bit, although it still doesn't work in 64bit :unsure:

After I reinstalled fireware drivers and changed your latest kext,my laptop can successfully sleep and wake now!Only I did is that I changed RadeonBlcklightDisplay and modified the value of IOProbeScore from 2000 to 30000!Thanks for your excellent work for this project!Although I'm not a programmer,only I can do is that try posted new kext and report bugs!

I see the radeonhd source and find the radeonhd.kext doesn't include rhd_randr.c.randr is used to configure which display ports are enabled (e.g. LCD, VGA and DVI), and to configure display modes and properties such as orientation, reflection and DPI!Is there some problems when trying to complie this code to radeonhd.kext?Is it related to the disappear of the cursor in some applications such as dsdtse,bbedit and word?

I see the radeonhd source and find the radeonhd.kext doesn't include rhd_randr.c.randr is used to configure which display ports are enabled (e.g. LCD, VGA and DVI), and to configure display modes and properties such as orientation, reflection and DPI!Is there some problems when trying to complie this code to radeonhd.kext?Is it related to the disappear of the cursor in some applications such as dsdtse,bbedit and word?

Randr is the way xorg handles multiple heads and screen transformation. OS X is totally different doing it.

The mouse problem is related to the hardware cursor, randr is not related at all.

Bye

As reported before, this does not work for me: only vertical stripes on black background - the vertical stripes become brighter over time. Here is my log:

http://pastebin.com/vcXtG72j

I've updated the code on google code, and uploaded a new version of the kext in the download section.

This kext is working good here with sleep and wake lighting fast (I have a Radeon Mobility X1400). I have to thanks Semantics for his help on making sleep/wake working on my laptop...

You can download it here:

RadeonHD Kext

For who is testing: if the kext doesn't work, maybe your card is not fully supported by the version of the radeon linux driver or that some other kext are giving problems in the sleep/wake process. Check it out.

The big problem is that PM in the linux driver is not so well documented, so I'm guessing how it works from the code (and trust me, is not easy).

Waiting the return of Dong for a possible linux driver update, I want to explore the backlight and its integration with the OS X system...

Stay tuned!

Randr is the way xorg handles multiple heads and screen transformation. OS X is totally different doing it.

The mouse problem is related to the hardware cursor, randr is not related at all.

Bye

I've updated the code on google code, and uploaded a new version of the kext in the download section.

This kext is working good here with sleep and wake lighting fast (I have a Radeon Mobility X1400). I have to thanks Semantics for his help on making sleep/wake working on my laptop...

RadeonHD Kext

For who is testing: if the kext doesn't work, maybe your card is not fully supported by the version of the radeon linux driver or that some other kext are giving problems in the sleep/wake process. Check it out.

The big problem is that PM in the linux driver is not so well documented, so I'm guessing how it works from the code (and trust me, is not easy).

Waiting the return of Dong for a possible linux driver update, I want to explore the backlight and its integration with the OS X system...

Stay tuned!

Hey,madchicken!This new kext works great for my laptop! :) I think the next setp should be focused on the cursor problem and the behavior of PM!The dual head support may be fixed in the future!Waitting for the back of dong for the improvement of this new kext based on the open source! :rolleyes:

You, Sir, are awesome. This is working great. Fully working T60 with Sleep and everything else! Thank you so much! I don't know what exactly you changed, but it works!

Thank you so so much!!

I have a ATI Radeon X1400 on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (Dell 6400) with fully working QE/CL with sleep working. Just left now is the mouse cursor problem with Dreamweaver and lots of other applications. Good luck with this guys.

Link

Thank you so so much!!

I have a ATI Radeon X1400 on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (Dell 6400) with fully working QE/CL with sleep working. Just left now is the mouse cursor problem with Dreamweaver and lots of other applications. Good luck with this guys.

Link

I'm happy to see the kext is working good.

The mouse problem is on my TODO list...but it's hard to find. I'm preparing my wife real MacBook to do a dual machine debug, maybe I'll find something :rolleyes:

Bye

Thanks madchicken for all your work. Your new kext allows my display to go to sleep and wakes up, but I still haven't resolved the actual sleep function in regards to the computer. I've patched my DSDT and have installed SleepEnabler.kext and now with your kext the display goes off, but the computer never actually goes to sleep (the fan's still on) and the computer can't be woken back up. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

And I hate to be the nth person to ask this, but is there any hope of QE/CI for Mobility Radeon HD 4650? I know that ATI constantly updates the ATI Catalyst driver for Linux and I was wondering if there was any chance someone could port that driver to Snow? Or is this driver already based off of it? I don't have much programming experience, so it's a little beyond my level...

Thanks madchicken for all your work. Your new kext allows my display to go to sleep and wakes up, but I still haven't resolved the actual sleep function in regards to the computer. I've patched my DSDT and have installed SleepEnabler.kext and now with your kext the display goes off, but the computer never actually goes to sleep (the fan's still on) and the computer can't be woken back up. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

You should search in the forum your laptop model, maybe you can find something useful. Any kind of hardwarehas specific problems, so you should check for your.

And I hate to be the nth person to ask this, but is there any hope of QE/CI for Mobility Radeon HD 4650? I know that ATI constantly updates the ATI Catalyst driver for Linux and I was wondering if there was any chance someone could port that driver to Snow? Or is this driver already based off of it? I don't have much programming experience, so it's a little beyond my level...

Did you looked at this http://netkas.org/?p=284?

Bye

Thanks again btw madchicken for the kext. I'm happy to see you have acknowledged the mouse problem. I would like to contribute to fixing the mouse bug in any way possible :rolleyes: of course if you don't want me to then thats fine.

Link

Thanks Link, any help is well accepted, and testing is accepted too!

For the mouse problem: I found the problem, but I didn't found a solution yet. At the moment I'm fixing the driver in order to draw the last cursor when the problem occurs, so we can have at least a wrong cursor instead of nothing.

I'll post here any news.

Bye

Hi All,

I am having some problems with my mobility x1300 at the moment. After launching certain applications (such as 3d games and video players) I get the following cursor display (see cursor.jpg attachment).

I am using up to date RadeonHD.kext (this problem did occur on the previous RadeonHD.kext).

EnableHWcursor false or true makes no difference.

I believe I might have some sort of hardware acceleration as the Dock is smooth at opening folders (it didnt in the past).

System profiler doesn't list any acceleration.

I've tried using ATIRadeonX1000.kext, only adding my device ID and tried using the attached kext, which was hex edited by someone else.

I do have mouse tearing with enableHWcursor set to false

I am running 10.6.3.

Can anyone help me out with this cursor distortion?

Thanks!

--------

RadeonHD Kext

post-230718-1273738900_thumb.jpg

post-230718-1273738917_thumb.jpg

ATIRadeonX1000.kext.zip

I have already started testing some things and i noticed that: The mouse works fine if i use the built in screen zoom feature. The screen goes slightly blurry but i can see my mouse in Dreamweaver CS5 which is a great help.

Not sure if this information helped you but oh well thought i'd let you know,

Link

I just played with the cursor part, here is something I found. Whenever I move the mouse into the Microsoft Word document area, "2 color cursor" scheme is used instead of the default "32 color cursor" scheme used by the system. So I guess all problems with hardware cursor may caused by the same reason, those programs or games are using "2 color cursor", i.e., black and white colors only.

Here is the code used for log the usage of which scheme:

if (VSLPrepareCursorForHardwareCursor(cursorRef, &hwcDescDirect32, &hardwareCursorInfo)) {
	bitDepth = 32;
	cursorMode = 3;
	LOG("32 color Cursor selected\n");
} else if (VSLPrepareCursorForHardwareCursor(cursorRef, &hardwareCursorDescriptor1, &hardwareCursorInfo)) {
	bitDepth = 2;
	cursorMode = 1;
	LOG("2 color Cursor selected\n");
} else {
	LOG("Prepare Hardware cursor failed\n");
	return FALSE;
}

Somehow the 2 color cursor is not working correctly at the moment. Now it is displayed as some smeared lines instead of nothing.

I will continue to research on this.

I added the support for 2 bits color cursor. Now the cursor is working correctly in Microsoft Word for me. I have updated the topic. People please test the latest kext and report.

hey dong,I tested your latest kext.It works great in applications such as word,dsdtse,bbedit now!But it causes many kernal panic for me,I can not boot to desktop for many times!Now only DVD player not works I don't konw why.Without radeonhd DVD player works great.

I added the support for 2 bits color cursor. Now the cursor is working correctly in Microsoft Word for me. I have updated the topic. People please test the latest kext and report.

Hi

I m just wondering , will i have CL/QE support for Ati HD 2600 for snow leopard with the new updates? I don't know why it stopped working after i upgrade from 10.5.6 to 10.6.0. I v been reading the forum, and seems like apple erase the support.

Appreciated your work

Hi

I m just wondering , will i have CL/QE support for Ati HD 2600 for snow leopard with the new updates? I don't know why it stopped working after i upgrade from 10.5.6 to 10.6.0. I v been reading the forum, and seems like apple erase the support.

Appreciated your work

I've got the same card. No snow leopard. I think this framebuffer driver enables resolution switching only.

see on first page, first post of this thread:

Some users are looking for QE/CI here. You should first get to know that framebuffer driver is not dedicated for QE/CI. If your card is not supported by ATIRadeonX1000/2000 kexts, there is no chance this framebuffer driver will help you.

Hi dong,

I looked on the google page but I don't see an updated file, what's the link for it?

I can confirm that the 2 colour cursor is working for me too. I havent tested in MS Word but it works now in Dreamweaver which it previously didn't.

Thank you very much madchicken and dong for this perfect kext. One thing that isnt done is things like invert colours, contrast adjustment and screen flash but they arnt important.

Link

EDIT: i can confirm a KP... When i use Adobe Fireworks CS5 and use the pen tool, as soon as i click it i get a KP. Im guessing that the pen tries loading a new cursor perhaps a different number of colours? this pen tool was working fine in the previous kext and the cursor was displayed.

dong,I've found some bugs about this new kext.It caused kernal panic when I tried to run emule,bbedit that cursor problems before!When I tried to update my office 2008 with update files,it also caused kernal panic!I think this kext is not stable as before!Maybe the switch of cursor colors in different caused kernal panic!