ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

Thanks so much for your work on this, works great for my mobility radeon 3430.

My only issue is when I connect an external LCD with the VGA, my main laptop display shows the same image as the external LCD but the picture on the main laptop display looks all inverted and crazy colors. Is there a way I can just turn off the main laptop display? Or fix the colors? I assume turning off the main display would be easier?

I tried closing the laptop screen down to just turn it off, but then the external LCD gets all crazy.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I downloaded this radeonhd.kext to replace atiinject.kext, as recommended on the thinkpads forum. I am working on a 2623-ddu lenovo thinkpad t60p. It has ati firegl v5200, which is about the same as mobility x1600. With this kext, I have gotten sleep to now work, boot without safe mode, brightness to work properly, the things I couldn't get working with atiinject, and full 1600 x 1200! (full res also with atiinject) The only thing is that the cursor was messed up. So i tried the fix enablehw false. Now I boot with 1024 x 768, and in profiler graphics say no kext loaded. I have the atix1600.kext with my dev ven id in it. A little help please? Thanks. :(

Leopard 10.5.8 // "iDeneb" vanilla Kernel with RadeonHD.kext for 10.5 ( all ATI*.kext removed before ) - Disable HW Cursor and Backlight.

using PC-EFI and a SMBIOS enabler plus fakesmc to boot from HD ( GPT scheme ), I have kept the OS 10.5.8 as much in Apple kernel condition as possible and use GPT partition to let it feel at home like on a real mac of course. All security and app-updates went without trouble.

Toshiba Satellite L500-120 ( Vista/W7 Machine ) Core2Duo.2.1GhZ,4GB Ram, ATI Mobility HD4650 ( M96 ) with 1GB Ram ( so says Toshiba ) Phoenix Bios, Intel ICH9M family.

Driver radeonHD says it has only 256MB ram for video, but imaybe thats just the maximum via this solution or a bug ( or Toshiba is telling {censored} .. ) fine and sharp working resolution 1366x768x32, I enabled QuartzGL with "OSX86tools", and after that even imovie 6 and iphoto 6 are operable at good speed ( really ! ) , all effects, quicktime movies, preview,coverflow,screengrab,quicklook all working. ( IN SnowLeopard nothing of that was possible , reverted to Leopard for that reason, although the radeonHD did of course work also there but SL is too much built on 3D/ new Quicktime, so its useless for me)

speedwise I could imagine to use Leopard on this machine on a daily base.. if not :

Annoying : the GPU fan is constantly blowing, which is driving me mad. Its loud as hell . IN Vista and Linux the fan is silent as soon as catalyst is installed and "powerplay" is enabled.It only goes sometimes on when 3d is heavily used or high definition video is used. The L500 is a super silent machine otherwise.

The fan issue will let me sooner or later install Linux again ( Ubuntu 10 fully supports this laptop out of box )

The built-in webcam ( chiconey UVC usb, works in Win and Lin without drivers ) turns light on, but only shows black . It must have to do with missing accelearation ( photo booth says my graphic card is not usable and cloes ) , ichat crashed when the cam goes on..

Othwise all working like it should, even cardreader,sound,bluetooth, the wheel to adjust volume shows on-screen-notifications and so on.

Only problematic stuff is the IWLAGN 5100 chip. I managed to make it appear as Ethernet in SnowLeo with 2 kexts , but the OS thinks it is a cable-bound network and so I cannot join any hotspot.

It has HDMI out, but as I dont know what this might be good for I cant tell if it is working. I use the laptop alone, no secondary monitor or equippment. Only a Mouse sometimes cause trackpad is uncomfortable all the time ;)

I dont care too much for 3D as long as I can run imovie and iphoto and watch youtube without lags, but that damn fan-thing.. if there is a solution .. :rolleyes:

post-156995-1280629375_thumb.jpg

I have an ATi Mobility Radeon 3430. I can't get a resolution higher than 1074x768 with the default driver. I have a native resolution of 1280x800. If I install this kext I will be able to increase resolution?

Thanks!

If you would have read everything from the beginning you knew your answer :

yes it will work.

It works perfectly! But I have a problem. Now I haven't got a mouse icon, I have four lines of strange colours.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

you too should have read the introduction thread, lazy folks these days.. :

Open plist.info of radeonhd.kext with textedit or plist editor, replace hardware Cursor value from true to false, reload kext, repair permissions, reboot and mouse cursor works as if by magic, that simple. :)

Thank you! But I can't find plist.info. Where is it?

And I have another problem. Sometimes, when I boot, the kext doesn't load and I have a 1024x768 resolution with the default drivers.

How can I fix it?

plist.info is inside a kext.

kexts are "wrappers"/"containers". Think of it as a zip file. the driver itself is inside the kext. plist.info tells the driver what to do ..

click on kext and "show package contents", edit plist, save it back into the kext.

You need to edit the permissions after such actions.

If a kext is not loading, you might need to rebuild the meta kext file or the caches. Instead of loading kext by kext, OSX puts all needed into one big cache file and loads just that.

If you thinker with your kexts, this cache needs to be updated, so it loads what you want.

Use for such tasks apps like Kextutility or Kexthelper.

I changed the value of Info.plist in EnableHWCursor from true to false. Then, I repaired permissions, clean cache (with kext helper) and rebooted. Now the system doesn't load the driver, and if I try to do it manually, it says me that the kext isn't installed correctly. I tried reinstalling the kext, but when I change the Info.plist, etc. the system doesn't load it, and if I do it manually it says again that it isn't correctly installed.

What can I do?

I have been digging around and found some interesting work been done here. I have been succesful installing 10.5.8 on laptops with NVIDIA and GMA graphic cards, now I am having some fun with SL on a Dell Studio 1558 with i7 processor and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, I tested lots of kext and also editing some Info.plist, but no nice look up to now.

I loaded this RadeonHD.kext, but am getting these messages from kernel in Console:

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: Mapped IO at 0xffffff80590ce000 (size 0x00020000)

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: FB at 0xd0000000 (size 0x10000000) mapped to 0xffffff805f25f000

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetScalerInfo

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetConnection...

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscSetGray

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscSavePreferredConfiguration

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetFeatureConfiguration

Aug 9 00:51:59: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

Aug 9 01:04:43 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetSync

Aug 9 01:07:30 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetSync

Also played a bit with EVOenabler.kext, when kernel returns me:

Aug 8 18:17:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: evoenabler: Probing.

Aug 8 18:18:14 SnowDell kernel[0]: ATY,Motmot: Not usable

Any idea about where to run to?

I have been digging around and found some interesting work been done here. I have been succesful installing 10.5.8 on laptops with NVIDIA and GMA graphic cards, now I am having some fun with SL on a Dell Studio 1558 with i7 processor and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, I tested lots of kext and also editing some Info.plist, but no nice look up to now.

I loaded this RadeonHD.kext, but am getting these messages from kernel in Console:

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: Mapped IO at 0xffffff80590ce000 (size 0x00020000)

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: FB at 0xd0000000 (size 0x10000000) mapped to 0xffffff805f25f000

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetScalerInfo

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscSetGray

Aug 9 00:51:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscSavePreferredConfiguration

Aug 9 00:51:59: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

Aug 9 01:04:43 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetSync

Aug 9 01:07:30 SnowDell kernel[0]: [RadeonHD]: cscGetSync

Also played a bit with EVOenabler.kext, when kernel returns me:

Aug 8 18:17:59 SnowDell kernel[0]: evoenabler: Probing.

Aug 8 18:18:14 SnowDell kernel[0]: ATY,Motmot: Not usable

Any idea about where to run to?

RadeonHD.kext does not work with any Enablers or Injectors side by side. Either Enablers OR RadeonHD.kext .

Hello. I'm a newbie... so probably I'm asking a naive question

I'm on snow leopard 10.6.3 and trying to enable a x1300.

I'm trying to install RadeonHD but I obtain a kernel panic at any reboot. Oddly it seems related to ACPI but removing the RadeonHD kext the KP disappears.

Is there a good guide on how to install this kext?

Do I have to remove any other kext before installing? In every post I seem to find a different answer. :(

Many thanks for your help.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=75721

Use kexthelper or osx86tools to install it.

10.5.x Driver worked on my

Sony Vaio VGN-FW-180D

with

ATI Radeon 3470 HD Mobility

1600x900 looks great :(

Only issue I had was mouse graphics issue, which was fixable.

edited the radeon plist file

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

terminal window

sudo -s

password

nano /System/Library/Extensions/RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist

ctrl+w "enableHWCursor"

then change below it "true" to "false".

ctrl+x

y (to save)

enter

Then used KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg to clear the cache and rebuild it

Then used diskutility to repair permissions <- (I skipped this step last install and it works fine)

Rebooted and its fixed

Going to test this on 10.6.x next

regards

Michael

UPDATE---------------------------------------

Quartz Extreme is not enabled though

I cannot figure out how to enable it either..

First of all,

Thanks to Dong, you're doing a great job here, I have a HP Pavillion DV4-2116LA with an ATI HD3200 running Snow Leopard 10.6.4, everything is almost working, I´m able to change between resolutions but when I try to play some video using Quicktime or VLC I only got a black screen in VLC and a sudden crash in quicktime, I tried to change the video output preferences in VLC without any improvement, so, if somebody out there had the same issue or the fix for this annoying problem, it would be great to know how he did to solve this .

Thank you in advance and keep going

Just to clairify the 10.6.x kext file is for 64bit? Or are the 64bit kexts only the versions marked 64bit?

Current download is RadeonHD.10.6.x.kext.zip ( 195.1K ) Number of downloads: 1706

I am not sure if it is 64bit or not

as the older builds are marked 32 or 64bit or both.

Hoping its 64bit as I do not want to go back to 10.5

thanks for all the work you have done with this

Michael

UPDATE---------------------------------------------------

I tried the current RadeonHD.10.6.x.kext.zip using Kexthelper,

on iAtkos S3 V2

and it just dumped on reboot. So It did not work on my

Sony Vaio VGN FW-180d, Radeon 3470 HD Mobility

I have installed it in x32 Snow Leopard and it doesn't load. I had to reinstall iATKOS, and before that it worked. But now it doesn't. I have tried reinstalling, using Kext utility, etc.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

PD: I don't start a topic because it says that I don't have the permission to start it.

First of all,

Thanks to Dong, you're doing a great job here, I have a HP Pavillion DV4-2116LA with an ATI HD3200 running Snow Leopard 10.6.4, everything is almost working, I´m able to change between resolutions but when I try to play some video using Quicktime or VLC I only got a black screen in VLC and a sudden crash in quicktime, I tried to change the video output preferences in VLC without any improvement, so, if somebody out there had the same issue or the fix for this annoying problem, it would be great to know how he did to solve this .

Thank you in advance and keep going

thats because 10.6.x Quicktime uses hardware acceleration which RadeonHD.kext does not enable. The same is true for ilife/iwork 08/09. Apple says "Every Computer with Snow Leopard has Quartz Extreme enabled", that is somewhere on the OSX homepage written .. ) And because of that all applications made for SL more or less require QE.

Same problem affects preview.app, try viewing a jpeg with it : blank screen only.

Switch back to 10.5.x and videos will play as well as preview.app working. ( ilife 04 05 06 will also work with RadeonHD under Leopard ) 10.5.x is running on some older G4 macs officially, some of those have low poer graphic cards and thus QE is not that needed ( read : Apple could not enforce it as they would liked to )

10.6.x is really only good if you have fully supported gpu. For us here in this thread it is useless at this point in time.

Believe me I hate this damn Toshiba Laptop every day more for the Ati card in it. It would be the perfect MacBook Pro clone if not the hd4650 .. If I only knew before. I was blended by Vistas Aero and thought it was a good GPU with DirectX 10.1 and 1GB vram .

Hell even Linux has monthly drivers for it on AMDs website, providing opengl 3.0 for the card.. and in OSX i am stuck in software rendering :wacko:

But we should be thankful to Mr. dong who made at least resolution switching and basic powermanagement available -- check his latest 10.5.x driver and enable "low power" mode in plist. Otherwise the fan would run constantly at 1024x768.. with lowpower on it shuts down when temps are not too high. ( Needs working speedstep in OSX with voodoo power and Pstate generation via DSDT.aml in /

10.6.x is really only good if you have fully supported gpu. For us here in this thread it is useless at this point in time.

Believe me I hate this damn Toshiba Laptop every day more for the Ati card in it. It would be the perfect MacBook Pro clone if not the hd4650 .. If I only knew before. I was blended by Vistas Aero and thought it was a good GPU with DirectX 10.1 and 1GB vram .

Hell even Linux has monthly drivers for it on AMDs website, providing opengl 3.0 for the card.. and in OSX i am stuck in software rendering :borg:

But we should be thankful to Mr. dong who made at least resolution switching and basic powermanagement available -- check his latest 10.5.x driver and enable "low power" mode in plist. Otherwise the fan would run constantly at 1024x768.. with lowpower on it shuts down when temps are not too high. ( Needs working speedstep in OSX with voodoo power and Pstate generation via DSDT.aml in /

That same here. Damn Toshi with even more damned ATI Mobility GPU! At least now I know what to buy next. Just nVidia.

Hey All i Hope someone can help me here,

i previously had iATKOS V7 but a couple of days ago upgraded to S3 V2 10.6.3

i downloaded and installed your 10.6 framebuffer kext but it didnt change anything at all, so i went into the com.apple.boot.plist and added graphics mode 1600x900x32 line, all i got from this was my res went up too 1152x863

the kext worked straight out of the box in V7 but i cant understand why it isnt working now?

i have an Vaio FW21L with mobility 3470.

hope someone can help many thanks.