ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

Hi,

My Notebook with a built in x1250 stays black after closing the display and opening it after a while again. There is no reaction. I have to switch it off through long pushing the power button.

Is it possible to change things in the Plist-file?

I only changed the Hardware Cursor to false. I used the updated kext from 13.5.2010.

€dit: I read about OpenGl. Is there a possibility to enable it? I have no qe/ci support with my x1250.

Regards Paddy

Thanks for your great work Dong.

On my Mobility Radeon HD 4650 Hardware cursor still does not work. The only way I don't get the block of colors is switching hardware cursor to "false." Also, the display turns off and on, but the sleep function does not work. It may be my system, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

PS: Still hoping for some do-gooder to port the ATI Catalyst Linux driver so we can have QE/CI!

Hi! It works well on my Studio 1557 with ATI Mobility HD4570 under 10.6.2; apart that i have a bad looking mouse pointer (i have tried to put enableHWcursor to false but it didn't work - i need to check why). My display is in 1920x1080x32 and it's great! (and i can change resolution but the other resolutions didn't look fine at first):

Jeu de composants : Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series

Type : Processeur graphique (GPU)

Bus : PCIe

Longueur de la voie PCIe : x16

VRAM (totale) : 256 Mo

Fournisseur : ATI (0x1002)

Identifiant du périphérique : 0x9553

Identifiant de révision : 0x0000

Moniteurs :

Moniteur de type inconnu :

Résolution : 1920 x 1080

Profondeur de pixels : Couleurs 32 bits (ARGB8888)

Moniteur principal : Oui

Miroir : Désactivé

Connecté : Oui

I had to (re)move ATI4500Controller and ATIX2000 extensions so they didn't load.

I will keep trying with PCEFI 10.6/Chameleon (the card is also recognized but there is no output - LCD panel is not recognized - i need to connect by VNC) in order to have QE/CI but i'm already really API to have the full resolution on my computer under Mac OS X for the first time, many thanks Dong!

What do you mean by vnc i have the same as yours and qe never works no matter what you do but your saying qe after vnc how explain please on details

Hi,

I installed iportable (snow leopard 10.6.2) on my Dell studio 1557. After some trials i got native screen resolution using raedonhd kext. Now my video card, ati mobility radeon 4570, it's well recognized as Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series in system profiler, but there are some problems:

in system profiler the video card its recognized with 256mb vram memory, but when i try to install final cut studio 3, the installer says I have 0 mb vram (really the video cards has 512mb), it also says I have no quartz extreme. I tried to disability system requirement checker, but final cut crashes soon after during opening.

What can I do?

Please help me, I need final cut *_*

Thank you!!!

armandrillo@libero.it

Hi guys,

I'm also have Dell Studio 1557 & has done a couple of test with Mac OS X 10.6.3 with Netkas's Betabooter. I really appreciated if you all share your experience & finding in this thread:-

Dell Studio 1557 Discussion Thread

kizwan

Hi All,

I've been playing around a bit more and want to confirm... How do I check if RadeonHD is being loaded on startup?

In system profiler there is a section called 'Extensions' that lists all of the extensions currently running and loaded on your system. click on Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Information... > Extensions

In system profiler there is a section called 'Extensions' that lists all of the extensions currently running and loaded on your system. click on Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Information... > Extensions

Ok,

Its not being loaded. How do I check what requirements are not being met for it to load?

I can confirm that the 2 colour cursor is working for me too. I havent tested in MS Word but it works now in Dreamweaver which it previously didn't.

Thank you very much madchicken and dong for this perfect kext. One thing that isnt done is things like invert colours, contrast adjustment and screen flash but they arnt important.

Link

EDIT: i can confirm a KP... When i use Adobe Fireworks CS5 and use the pen tool, as soon as i click it i get a KP. Im guessing that the pen tries loading a new cursor perhaps a different number of colours? this pen tool was working fine in the previous kext and the cursor was displayed.

Hi to all, I just updated the kext on the googlecode site. No more KP now (I hope!). From my tests, all cursor are displayed correctly now (i.e. the Adobe suite works great).

You can download the new kext here: Kext with working 2bit cursors

I'll ask to Dong to update the topic.

Bye

topoic updated. thanks, madchicken.

And added a few typo fix to the code.

By the way, it works for me in powerpoint where it used to KP when I click on the Textbox icon in the panel.

I'm interested in using RadeonHD to try a few ATIxxxxController kexts to see if by some odd chance any of them work on my mobility 5750. I'm not quite sure what all I need to change to make this happen. Instead of randomly editing kexts could anyone help out and let me know what I have to change and where?

ATIxxxxController kexts create IOReg entries that ATIFramebuffer instances attached to. ATIFramebuffer instances also call functions in ATIxxxxController kexts to talk to video card as well as coordinate the two heads. That's why there are different ATIxxxxController for specific class of cards, but only one ATIFramebuffer that talk to MAC OSX to provide framebuffer functions.

RadeonHD plays a combined role of ATIxxxxController and ATIFramebuffer. The RadeonHD class instance talk to MAC OSX. For hardware talking, it calls functions ported from the linux code or a few functions I reversed from ATI driver.

I don't see how you can mix the use of ATIxxxxController and RadeonHD.

I'm interested in using RadeonHD to try a few ATIxxxxController kexts to see if by some odd chance any of them work on my mobility 5750. I'm not quite sure what all I need to change to make this happen. Instead of randomly editing kexts could anyone help out and let me know what I have to change and where?

If you get ATIxxxxController to work with your card, then you will have no need to use RadeonHD.

any can answer me please? i'm confused reading this post...

does the 4550 card get qe\ci?

No, you will not, at least for notebook computer can not.

You should know already, usually only these setup will have very much success running OS X:-

- Desktop computer + ATI/NVIDIA

- Notebook computer + NVIDIA (except Sony VAIO)

ATI on notebook is a big NO NO.

Mostly all the ATI HD cards like 3200 are not able to get QE/CL. Some old ATI cards such as the X1400 which i have can receive very good QE/CL.

btw guys i spotted another bug. Sometimes the mouse will disappear while in the browser. I tried this with Chrome and Safari and it happens on both. It will random disappear and also it goes once i use éxpose to get to either one of the windows. to get the mouse back i just have to put it over the dock and it comes back.

Link

I tried the key with the backligh and cursor modifid to false and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much. I´m using a toshiba A-200 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400.

Once again thank you. with this my hackintosh is perfect. every thing is workin now.

(Sorry for the bad inglish)

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, thanx for great work in porting radeonhd driver to linux and all hard-to-do reverse-engineering.

I just wonder, what is the situation with evergreen (ati 5xxx) drivers? As i can see there is still no support for fb in radeonhd linux driver and looks like that project is pretty much inactive.

Does it means further development of ATI foss drivers for osx will go no further (speaking of new ati GPUs)?

First of all, thanx for great work in porting radeonhd driver to linux and all hard-to-do reverse-engineering.

I just wonder, what is the situation with evergreen (ati 5xxx) drivers? As i can see there is still no support for fb in radeonhd linux driver and looks like that project is pretty much inactive.

Does it means further development of ATI foss drivers for osx will go no further (speaking of new ati GPUs)?

Evergreen support has been pushed in master a month or two ago. I don't ever know if there is a stable linux driver version that support evergreen cards (with stable I mean "released"). I know we should upgrade the linux driver version, but consider that we all busy in our real life, so working on this project can be hard (at least for me).

If I have time to spend on radeonHD driver, then I'll definitely try to add multi-head support, 'cause I need it.

Bye

Evergreen support has been pushed in master a month or two ago. I don't ever know if there is a stable linux driver version that support evergreen cards (with stable I mean "released"). I know we should upgrade the linux driver version, but consider that we all busy in our real life, so working on this project can be hard (at least for me).

If I have time to spend on radeonHD driver, then I'll definitely try to add multi-head support, 'cause I need it.

Bye

Multi-head support should write new code,while linux driver related to this function can not be used!Do you have any idea about this?

Multi-head support should write new code,while linux driver related to this function can not be used!Do you have any idea about this?

Don't confuse multihead with xrandr, that's the way a driver communicates with X for doing multihead stuff (xrandr it's a protocol). All the code for handling output is *in* the driver. But Linux driver handle multihead using a single driver instance, while with OSX we have to use it in multiple instances of RadeonHD class, one for every head (injecting "fake" devices at startup). It's really complex, I know...but I want to give it a try.

Instead, porting the new linux driver is a PITA, since the driver is changed very much from our release, and we have modified a lot the source code to use it. Btw, it all matter of time we can spend on this project ;)

Bye

Bye

I checked xorg wiki site and there is no sign of evergreen support; also i pulled git sources and according to README again no evergreen support.

Project seems quite deserted, with extremely low activity; moreover seems like radeonhd will be totally abandoned in favor of radeon xorg driver.

Thats why i raise a question :(

I checked xorg wiki site and there is no sign of evergreen support; also i pulled git sources and according to README again no evergreen support.

Project seems quite deserted, with extremely low activity; moreover seems like radeonhd will be totally abandoned in favor of radeon xorg driver.

Thats why i raise a question :)

Graphic Driver things are changing much on linux platforms: KMS is a must for all drivers and now there is a new layer on which developer should build accelerated drivers (Gallium3D). So RadeonHD has been merged in the "old" ati driver, in order to get KMS support and go ahead for gallium support.

I don't have a new HD card, so I can only try to upgrade the driver without the possibility of doing tests. And blind programing is not easy...