Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Goddamn i think i love somebody!

Thank you all.

I've been wrestling with my own stupidity for a couplof days trying to get this working and tried a whole manner of permutations on a variety of things. For the sake of future stupidheads like me, I'd like to add a couple of things.

When creating the USb installer, make sure you're on n Intel Mac, dont do it on 10.4 either. BOth those options gave me just a blinking prompt when i should have had the Chameleon installer.

Also had another prompt:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

bott0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: /done

which I thought was due to 1tb HD (from other systems looks like +1tb can cause this prompt) well it's not that. And it's not any permuatation on the BIOS and the usb partition was done to the T. It was the gaddamn USB key i was using. Anyways all good now.

Phew.

excuse me i finally decide to try to install SL...i'm arrived at the point of upgrade to upgrade to 10.6.2.

Just a dumb question from a newbie...it says:

To find your UUID for the boot.plist file and build your mkext cache, use Kext Utility (kills two birds with one stone!). Drag the Extensions folder and drop it on the Kext Utility app:

Wich EXTENSION FOLDER i have to drag? The one i have in "Asus p6t se Essentials" on the desktop or the one i have inside "MY MAC" (I decided to call in this way the hd with the S.O.)

thx in advance

My spec is as follow:

Asus P6T

Core i7 920

Nvidia gtx 260

I have successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.0 on my machine. But I have one problem, the Internet through Ethernet connection is EXTREMELY SLOW!! Even accessing my linksys router page (192.168.1.1) lags!!!

Note: Im not using the onboard P6T ethernet card, Im using Realtek 8139 ethernet card because the onboard one is spoilt.

Hope someone can help, I have the following:

Motherboard: Asus P6TSE

CPU: i7 920

Ram: Corsair 1600 6GB (3x2GB)

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 4850 512MB (2x Dvi / s-video)

Monitor: NEC EA231WMi (1920x1080 resolution)

Following the guide, I can't even load the installer without the -x switch, my screen just shows a garbled display and everything hangs.

If I do enter the -x switch I can install in safe-mode, again I can only load snow leopard in safe mode once installed, else the same garbled screen.

If I then install EVOenabler.kext and an edited ATI4800Controller.kext I can finally load without needing to be in safe mode at full resolution.

All good so far, BUT, I would like to update to 10.6.3.

I first thought it best to follow your guide to get to 10.6.2, entering all the details as you specify, and unfortunately I can't boot again and end up with a garbled display.

10.6.3 update results in the same thing.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to get me through this install, I've spent hours trying all sorts of kexts for my gfx card, no joy...getting desperate!

Huuge thanks in advance for any help.

Hope someone can help, I have the following:

Motherboard: Asus P6TSE

CPU: i7 920

Ram: Corsair 1600 6GB (3x2GB)

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 4850 512MB (2x Dvi / s-video)

Monitor: NEC EA231WMi (1920x1080 resolution)

Following the guide, I can't even load the installer without the -x switch, my screen just shows a garbled display and everything hangs.

If I do enter the -x switch I can install in safe-mode, again I can only load snow leopard in safe mode once installed, else the same garbled screen.

If I then install EVOenabler.kext and an edited ATI4800Controller.kext I can finally load without needing to be in safe mode at full resolution.

All good so far, BUT, I would like to update to 10.6.3.

I first thought it best to follow your guide to get to 10.6.2, entering all the details as you specify, and unfortunately I can't boot again and end up with a garbled display.

10.6.3 update results in the same thing.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to get me through this install, I've spent hours trying all sorts of kexts for my gfx card, no joy...getting desperate!

Huuge thanks in advance for any help.

are u dual booting or are you just doing sl?

if your dual booting get macdrive for pc side install and use it to alter kext

failing that

if your able to get into osx in safe mode and have video card working on full tilt qe and the like working back up your kext with osx86 tools back up your mach_kernal with the same tool update then before restarting reload your kext and mach kernel reboot and cross fingers ( good luck)

also 6.3 messed me about with my video card so im on 6.2 untill i find a better card than i can use on 6.3 i may even wait as long till the new pro line comes out

are u dual booting or are you just doing sl?

if your dual booting get macdrive for pc side install and use it to alter kext

failing that

if your able to get into osx in safe mode and have video card working on full tilt qe and the like working back up your kext with osx86 tools back up your mach_kernal with the same tool update then before restarting reload your kext and mach kernel reboot and cross fingers ( good luck)

also 6.3 messed me about with my video card so im on 6.2 untill i find a better card than i can use on 6.3 i may even wait as long till the new pro line comes out

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure I understand you...probably being a bit slow, been using Windows for too long!...yes I am dual booting, I have macdrive so can easily enough read my mac data from Windows.

Are you saying that after I've got everything working on 10.6.0, I need to then back up my kext and kernel? Can I then reload these in 10.6.2 and everything should work a-ok?

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure I understand you...probably being a bit slow, been using Windows for too long!...yes I am dual booting, I have macdrive so can easily enough read my mac data from Windows.

Are you saying that after I've got everything working on 10.6.0, I need to then back up my kext and kernel? Can I then reload these in 10.6.2 and everything should work a-ok?

spot on mate you may need to use a new version of hdaapple.kext (aduio driver) but other than that you will be ok sorry for my poor english

Guys,

i have a:

P6T-SE

i7 920

3gb corsair 1333

radeon 4870

is it possible to have 9gb ram? will it become instable? or should i go with 6gb?

its up to you I have 9 helps with virtual window7

post-460069-1272320753_thumb.jpg

post-460069-1272321234_thumb.jpg

im on 6.2 as im awaiting a better video card

when are they gonna friking update the new pros with ati 58xx//59xx

CPU: i7 930

MOBO: P6TSE

RAM: CORSAIR 6GB 1600

HDD: 2x WD 1TB + 2x WD 1.5TB

ODD: LG 22x Multi

VID: ASUS GTX260+

Installed OSX Snow 10.6 successfully. Manually downloaded the 10.6.2 COMBO update and installed successfully also. Great guide and so much good information on this site!!

Have ordered another identical ASUS GTX260+ so will install and test when it arrives for the purpose of multiple monitor configurations. Will post results asap.

spot on mate you may need to use a new version of hdaapple.kext (aduio driver) but other than that you will be ok sorry for my poor english

As per your advice, after installing 10.6.2 I restored my mach_kernel and kexts and hey-presto all working :)

Graphics-wise using update 4800d kext and EVOEnabler. Audio, only my older kext was the one that worked...could this be due to my using my saved older kernel?

Huge thanks though for your advice! :P .... Was a tad apprehensive, didn't have any free external drives to do a time machine backup, I think I may well have thrown the computer out the window if it hadn't all worked!

2 more questions though:

1. What does the mach_kernel actually do, can I expect to face any troubles having restored my old one?

2. Would the same process work for an update to 10.6.3? :)

As per your advice, after installing 10.6.2 I restored my mach_kernel and kexts and hey-presto all working :(

Graphics-wise using update 4800d kext and EVOEnabler. Audio, only my older kext was the one that worked...could this be due to my using my saved older kernel?

i would assume so

Huge thanks though for your advice! :D .... Was a tad apprehensive, didn't have any free external drives to do a time machine backup, I think I may well have thrown the computer out the window if it hadn't all worked!

2 more questions though:

1. What does the mach_kernel actually do, can I expect to face any troubles having restored my old one?

i think the kernel ( could be wrong ) is what makes the system know what the p6tse is and work with it .....as the s/l got updated the kernal was changed to restrict what we are doing so in essence its best to stay with the old kernel on all updates unless netkas or other geniuses tell us otherwize you should have no problems

2. Would the same process work for an update to 10.6.3? ;)

yep

but as before back up the mach_kernel

back up the extensions kext with the osx86 tools hen do a combo update (google 10.6.3 combo update)

when its installed go to osx86 and restore mach_kernel and then extensions then repair permissions then look here

/system/library/extensions.....and delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the client as well then reboot

i would have a gander to see if there are any issues with your video card and also if you can

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

get time machine to back up all or make a .dmg image of your hard drive so you can restore

i have been stung x2 and time machine got me back and runnin in less than 40 mins just at the click of a button ( up to you but i would advise for future revisions of the 10.6 series)

hope this helps sorry if i sound like a dad lol

also check this for a laugh http://netkas.org/?p=429

Please can anybody help me?

i follow the guide and i upgraded to 10.6.3.

my problem is this one

i have an i7 930 what i have to do to set up the right speedstep....i can't undestand....i try to follow also bechmin post...but i'm a newbie and my probabilly my english is not so god

thx

get time machine to back up all or make a .dmg image of your hard drive so you can restore

i have been stung x2 and time machine got me back and runnin in less than 40 mins just at the click of a button ( up to you but i would advise for future revisions of the 10.6 series)

hope this helps sorry if i sound like a dad lol

also check this for a laugh http://netkas.org/?p=429

Hmmm my problem is that I don't have a free mac formatted external drive :)

Guess best bet would be to copy all my backups from my NTFS external drive to my windows disk (I have a sep hard disk for windows) and then format this drive for a mac.

Can I then just open disk utility, select my system drive on the left side, click new image and save the dmg to my newly formatted drive? ... I would then be able to restore from this dmg at a later date would I not?

Soz if this is a silly question, but I've looked everywhere, I really don't want to have to use up a whole hard drive for e.g. a time machine backup, nor do I want the external drive to be exclusively for my mac system backup. As long as the dmg doesn't have to be the entire size of the system drive this approach would be ideal.

Thanks for the help!

Hmmm my problem is that I don't have a free mac formatted external drive ;)

Guess best bet would be to copy all my backups from my NTFS external drive to my windows disk (I have a sep hard disk for windows) and then format this drive for a mac.

Can I then just open disk utility, select my system drive on the left side, click new image and save the dmg to my newly formatted drive? ... I would then be able to restore from this dmg at a later date would I not?

Soz if this is a silly question, but I've looked everywhere, I really don't want to have to use up a whole hard drive for e.g. a time machine backup, nor do I want the external drive to be exclusively for my mac system backup. As long as the dmg doesn't have to be the entire size of the system drive this approach would be ideal.

Thanks for the help!

not too sure as i took the "use another hard drive approach" either way your gonna back up your entire harddrive

its up to you time machine has a better gui than a dmg plus if you keep your memory stick basically you have a fail safe if it goes belly up

use this one

DSDT.aml

i think this is the latest one (from page 24)

and bchemist "advised" us to use aserebln too.... this is optional

ok i dl that...i copied the aml fileover the old one....what i have to do with all other file in the folder like aserebin etc?

Hi people.

Last week I buy a P6T SE for my wife.

I build my second Hack...

I port my DSDT for this mobo too

DSDT M2.6 (full optimized code)

May, 2 2010

ONLY FOR: P6T SE

i7 965 --> HERE

i7 950 --> HERE

i7 940 --> HERE

i7 930 --> HERE

i7 920 --> HERE

enjoy

Fabio

Hi people.

Last week I buy a P6T SE for my wife.

I build my second Hack...

I port my DSDT for this mobo too

DSDT M2.6 (full optimized code)

May, 2 2010

ONLY FOR: P6T SE

i7 965 --> HERE <--

i7 950 --> HERE <--

i7 940 --> HERE <--

i7 930 --> HERE <--

i7 920 --> HERE <--

enjoy

Fabio

Great. For the last month Bchemist 's absence worried me, i thought that no one will give us a new dsdt :(. So i used your's in 64bit mode and everything seems ok. I think that now that adobe announced the native 64bit photoshop and apple updated logic studio 64bit , resolving a lot of bugs, we all have to move to x64 architecture. Photoshop cs5 runs extremely fast:)

For people using last Bchemist's dsdt, you should make some more changes to your system before changing your dsdt because Bchemist' s last package had some modified kexts.

1)If you used the modified IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext, you have to put back the original! If you don't have it you can download it from here

Unzip it on your desktop and drag n drop it on the kext utility icon. Give you password and it will overwrite the modified one.

2)Now you have to restore the original netkas fakesmc.kext. Download it from here . Open your extra/extensions folder and replace your current one with this. Now delete extensions.mkext from your extra folder and rebuild a new one with kext utility.

3) For 64bit you need to modify the com.apple.boot.plist file in Extra folder. You have to delete the arch=i386 string. It should look like this :

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

If you have problems in 64bit you can put back the arch=i386 string and boot in 32bit mode.

4)Before booting in 64bit mode keep in mind that if you have unsupported hardware like external sound cards, without 64bit drivers, they won't work. Also ntfs-3g and tuxera ntfs DO NOT work in 64bit mode. If you have ntfs disks you have to download paragon ntfs 8. At the time, it is the only solution for ntfs support in 64bit. Also if someone uses nvinject, keep in mind that older kext versions are 32bit ONLY. There is a 64bit version here.

And finally something new:) As all of you can recall, JaS (!!!!) posted something in this thread. He gave us a link to a blog that supports Asus P6T (no SE). If anyone checked it you should probably know that the dsdt provided there does not work with p6t se. Do not try it with your current bios, you will not be able to boot. BUT there is something there that works for us too :D They have a script for speeding up boot time and "refreshing" the system. This script does not modify anything in your system. It repairs any wrong permissions, cleans all caches and rebuilds new system extension.mkext and...SPEEDS UP the boot time. I use it every time i make modifications to my system and works great. You can download it from here and use it at your own risk :( Right click the script, open with terminal, give password, choose your installation disk and let it do the job. Then restart. Of course credit for this goes to http://www.fleebailey33.org/ blog.

Even if you don't want to boot in 64bit mode but you want to try iFabio 's dsdt, you should put back the original kexts that Bchemist 's last dsdt package modified. Those kexts were modified to work with that dsdt and we do not know if they are stable with another one.

I am using iFabio 's dsdt in 64bit mode right now. Speedstep works, sleep works... everything seems stable. All of you who had problems with firewire should try this dsdt and post if it is solved. I do not have firewire devices so i can't post if it works...

If you had no problems with Bchemist 's last dsdt, you should keep using it. He did a great job removing unnecessary code etc.

Sorry 4 my english...but is that correct if i use iFabio DSDT i do not have to change any other stuff?

No you had it wrong. If you use ifabio 's dsdt and right now you are using Bchemist 's last dsdt with the modified kexts, you have to put back the original kexts and then you can change your dsdt.

If you are using older Bchemist 's dsdt right now, then you don't have to change anything. Just the dsdt.