Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

finally....got my new 9400GT GPU installed on my system, just bought a hdmi cable and it works, resolution is 1080p :)

fingers crossed i dont find any more faults

only problem i can find so far is video streaming is jittery and out of sync, 1080p movie playback is fine

fixed......refresh rate was on 24hrz upped to 60hrz

Anybody try installing the latest security update for 10.6.3? I guess that would be 2010-3 (looks to be 6.3mb)?

Just curious if it poaches anything in the system.

MY System Details:

CyberpowerPC Core i7 920 2.66 GHZ 8M L3 Cache LGA 1366

6GB DDR3 (2GBx3) 1600mhz Corsair Triple Channel

Asus P6T Motherboard w/ ALC1200 On-board Audio

Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1GB 16x PCI Express (EVGA)

Chameleon Boot Loader

EFI Parition

Using Kext Helper b7 and gfxutil for sound and video setups respectively.

Drive 1(WD, 500GB):

Mac OS 10.6.3 (with ASUS P6T SE Essentials and USBkey Method)

Drive 2 (Hitachi, 500GB)

Win7 Pro 64 bit (stock, of course)

Drive 3 (Hitachi, 500GB)

Raw Storage

Video, Sound, and NTFS Drive Read and Write (via NTFS-3g, MacFuse) all Work!

"Create DMG files for recovery before running any OSX system update...give yourself and undo..."

So, I am in a predicament. If I create a Time machine backup of everything on the Snow Leopard Partition except for the music (Took up too much space with it, already have another backup for the music), can I restore this through the install before actually installing? I read that you could, and it would be really helpful so I don't have to go digging for kexts again, but would I have to recreate the flash drive exactly how it says to do again?

Or should I reinstall, and THEN restore from Time machine backup?

Either one works, but I just wish I could restore without actually having to reinstall again.

Thanks,

Para Vorheim

Okay, let me be a little more clear.

I seriously screwed up my windows 7 install, and I want it back, but not just it, I also want OS X and ubuntu 10.04 back. So, I'm assuming you start with installing Windows 7 first, because the whole GPT scheme doesn't really work too well. I can't remember how exactly I got everything working last time, so I'm a little hesitant in starting this whole process again.

How would I go about triple booting Mac OS X, Windows 7, and ubuntu 10.04, on a completely empty drive, while still keeping all of the system settings, updates, apps, etc. from my Snow leopard install in a Time machine backup, and then restoring it back onto the install.

I'm not exactly sure what all is required for the restore, so please help me out.

Thanks,

Para Vorheim

Para Vorheim,

With the disk utility you should be able to make a DMG file of the entire hard drive for recovery. You might also be able (after you make a backup) to use disk utility for reformat just the NTFS section that has your Win 7 install on it. I would have a USB key version of OSX 10.6 with P6T SE Essentials ready though in case something goes wrong. Booting from it you should be able to restore your DMG file without a ton of setup.

Now, here's challenging part...you'll need another drive to send the DMG to. So don't know if you have that option or not. Never done Time Machine (was told by people that it isn't the most trustworthy of backup options).

Other ideas from folks?

Para Vorheim,

With the disk utility you should be able to make a DMG file of the entire hard drive for recovery. You might also be able (after you make a backup) to use disk utility for reformat just the NTFS section that has your Win 7 install on it. I would have a USB key version of OSX 10.6 with P6T SE Essentials ready though in case something goes wrong. Booting from it you should be able to restore your DMG file without a ton of setup.

Now, here's challenging part...you'll need another drive to send the DMG to. So don't know if you have that option or not. Never done Time Machine (was told by people that it isn't the most trustworthy of backup options).

Other ideas from folks?

Trust me, there's no way to install Win7 without cleaning out the entire drive, because I have to change the partition style from GPT to MBR. It's a pain.

Anyways, I used Time Machine to make a complete backup of everything except for my dropbox and music. That way it fit onto a partition I made. Doing some research, after you install OS X you can restore an entire system using the time machine backup. That should work. So install, and then restore. Piece of cake. Start with Windows, then OS X, then Ubuntu. Here we go...

Trust me, there's no way to install Win7 without cleaning out the entire drive, because I have to change the partition style from GPT to MBR. It's a pain.

Anyways, I used Time Machine to make a complete backup of everything except for my dropbox and music. That way it fit onto a partition I made. Doing some research, after you install OS X you can restore an entire system using the time machine backup. That should work. So install, and then restore. Piece of cake. Start with Windows, then OS X, then Ubuntu. Here we go...

Oh MY GOSH. I don't even remember how I got it working so easily last time. I can't even remember how I installed Windows 7 after installing snow leopard, because I can't get it to work now! It keeps on saying that it can't install win7 because the disk in the GPT style, but then how did I do it before! Ah well, I'm installing SL onto an older IDE hard drive. The only problem is that it's only 40gb. What can I do to restore the backup, if it doesn't fit? the backup is around 30gb, so it could be cutting it close.

thanks,

Para Vorheim

Oh MY GOSH. I don't even remember how I got it working so easily last time. I can't even remember how I installed Windows 7 after installing snow leopard, because I can't get it to work now! It keeps on saying that it can't install win7 because the disk in the GPT style, but then how did I do it before! Ah well, I'm installing SL onto an older IDE hard drive. The only problem is that it's only 40gb. What can I do to restore the backup, if it doesn't fit? the backup is around 30gb, so it could be cutting it close.

thanks,

Para Vorheim

You have to install Windows 7 before. I've done it on both a desktop and netbook on the same drive. If you want a hint as to how to go about it, try looking for tutorials on dual booting Windows 7 and snow leopard. If I get some free time I'll edit this post with some resources you can look at.

You have to install Windows 7 before. I've done it on both a desktop and netbook on the same drive. If you want a hint as to how to go about it, try looking for tutorials on dual booting Windows 7 and snow leopard. If I get some free time I'll edit this post with some resources you can look at.

Nice hearing from you again :D But I've done this already. It says that the partition must be in the GPT scheme after I install Windows Seven and try to install Snow Leopard. I've looked up tons of guides, but none of them state that this error even exists. Is it a bios issue?

Thanks,

Para Vorheim

Hi folks,

today I tried to install mac OS X SN following this guide, I prepared my thumb drive, set the AHCI storage settings in BIOS version 0805, I even tried both "boot" files - original "boot" and renamed "EFI 10v3 boot," but during the booting of the system ( when all sorts of text is being displayed ) it wouldn't let me get throught see below:

hsm7o2.jpg

Since then I've had no clue what the issue could be.

Thank you for helping

Hi folks,

today I tried to install mac OS X SN following this guide, I prepared my thumb drive, set the AHCI storage settings in BIOS version 0805, I even tried both "boot" files - original "boot" and renamed "EFI 10v3 boot," but during the booting of the system ( when all sorts of text is being displayed ) it wouldn't let me get throught see below:

hsm7o2.jpg

Since then I've had no clue what the issue could be.

Thank you for helping

Can you tell us what kind of hardware you have? If we know what graphics card, cpu (we already know it's a core i7 ;)), etc, we could help you out a little better.

Can you tell us what kind of hardware you have? If we know what graphics card, cpu (we already know it's a core i7 :blink: ), etc, we could help you out a little better.

I got icore7 930, Asus P6T SE, Sapphire ATI 4670 512MB DDR3, Seagate Barracuda 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 200 GB, 4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 Mhz :whistle:

could be your graphics. tweak helped me out with this one, if it works, tell me. Follow these instructions:

1. Boot with -s, and do the following commands:

CODE

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /system/library/extensions

rm -r ATI*

rm -r natit.kext*

reboot

2. Reboot with -f -v.

Source: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477

I think this is only for the 4800 series, but it might work with the 4670.

Hi,

anyone got a raid0 setup working with this board?

thx.

You won't get native RAID working, don't bother. The only thing you could do is the RAID through OS X which doesn't really count.

hey guys... just wondering if this would work on a i7 extreme?..

thanks ;)

oh yeah ,

also, i have read a few threads about the video card compatibility for the 5xxx series.

just wondering ... even if the drivers are not released, is it possible for it to boot into os x if i used the 5 series card?

thanks!

sry, relatively new this..

where do i put the dsdt file in?

thanks in advance <_<

depends if u have a efi partition or not

sry, relatively new this..

where do i put the dsdt file in?

thanks in advance :)

depends if u have a efi partition or not

on your /extra/ folder

sorry really noob at this...

thanks for reply though :rolleyes:

sorry more questions...

what advantages does having a EFI partion have?

so ... if i don't have a EFI partion i should just drag that folder and drop it into the 'extra' folder?

really sorry for stupid questions...

thanks again!

sorry really noob at this...

thanks for reply though ;)

sorry more questions...

what advantages does having a EFI partion have?

so ... if i don't have a EFI partion i should just drag that folder and drop it into the 'extra' folder?

really sorry for stupid questions...

thanks again!

I think that u need the efi as the real macs have em they allow the pc to boot

If memory serves me you can have a separate efi or have it intergrated into the hard drive (no partition)

Correct me if I'm wrong

I think that u need the efi as the real macs have em they allow the pc to boot

If memory serves me you can have a separate efi or have it intergrated into the hard drive (no partition)

Correct me if I'm wrong

yeah according to the tuitorial in this thread ... that what it said...

but i'm not too sure whats the use of having it in another partion?...

thanks! ;)

yeah according to the tuitorial in this thread ... that what it said...

but i'm not too sure whats the use of having it in another partion?...

thanks! :D

if im not mistaking its using the partition thats being created on a regular GUID format <theres a 107 MB partition that is not visible on any partition being created>. i'll try to find a more accurate explanation.