Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

First, thanks tweak for the guide, I appreciate the effort. Second, I'm having some trouble booting and getting SL installed. It's hanging at either com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X or AppleRTL8169Ethernet::Ethernet address. If it doesn't hang at one, it will be the other. I can't reliably reproduce either error, but the ethernet hang is much more common. Using the 2_boot_prep script after a "fresh" restore of SL to my flash drive, I get the "don't steal" hang. If I add/replace kexts or on subsequent reboots of the same unmodified flash drive it will hang at "ethernet" and hangs there for 2+ hours, so I don't think it's waiting on anything. I've played around with different kexts I've found, specifically the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext and EVOenabler.kext (for my graphics card). When I added these to Extra/Extensions the whole thing would crash at the ethernet address thing (no hang, monitor would go to standby after some gray flashing on the screen. Kind of makes me think this is a graphics card issue, but there's no sound so I can't say if it went to the GUI/welcome video, but I doubt it). A few lines before the crash I'll get something like ACPI_SMC_pluging::start ... timeout. Turning off J-micron controller in the BIOS gets rid of this error, but results in a hang at [JMicronATA].

Specs:

board: P6T SE

graphics card: ATI HD4870

CPU: i7 920

hard drives: 2 @ 500GB on STATA 1 and 2

using EFI bootloader

I've tried a multitude of kexts all with no luck. I'll post any progress or new errors. I've read elsewhere that "don't steal" is some type of decryption of Apple programs. Does this mean I am missing some vital unencrypted kext?

Thanks!

So there's no need to change my settings, because I'm using an older DSDT.aml

I still use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext. Temperatures are significantly lower and I don't want to change my BIOS settings.

e1ement

PS: My Radeon HD4870 runs just fine without any Kexts, EFI-Strings or anything else.

Did you have problems with the HD4870 before updating to 10.6.2? If the answer is "yes" to earlier, it seems that the vanilla drivers were added to this update for said video card.

The reason I'm asking is because I've been spending the last few days getting various video card combinations to work for 3-4 monitors via DSDT.

So far I've been able to get 2 9800 GT to work very well. One card sits in port 3 and the other in port 7 (PEG3 and PEG7). In my earlier DSDT I had a 2nd 9800 coded into port 1 but it wasn't in use. Actually installing it crashed the system. So I read up on some various sites for dual cards, AquaMac in particular, but they are still mainly using the strings method...a method that is otherwise obsolete (based on my hypothesis at the time) if you can hack the DSDT.

Using his same method of gfxutil to determine the port number when booting up with a single graphics card in the different ports I was able to determine the correct ports.

Then instead of messing with the strings and the other file, I just added the code to the DSDT. Having the I/O registry explorer is key since you'll need to know the VCAP. I added the reg and the VRAM to the hack as well.

So two configurations work:

2 9800 GT 1024meg

and

1 9400 GT 512 meg

1 9400 GT 1024 meg

In "About this Mac" both cards show up in both configurations but the strange thing is that one shows up as Pciexpress16_1 as the slot number and the other as PciExpress_1. In the DSDT I assigned the card in PEG3 to (_SUN, 0x01) and the second card to (_SUN, 0x02). The _SUN represents the slot...but here is where nothing makes much sense since you already assigned the card to the port, but then the slot as well. Assigning the cards as I did allows you to boot up with both cards and 4 screens works. All temperatures idle at 38-42C per core as well. In fact, I noticed that if you plug your graphics card into the 2nd (middle) blue slot, the average CPU core idles at 2-3C cooler where I had all cores under 40C. The only explanation I have is that it's further from the CPU and allows for better airflow and heat dissipation.

Also, I'm able to boot where once I hit the boot selector screen, it's literally a count-down from 3 seconds whether full screen or verbose. Verbose goes by so fast that you cannot read anything and 1.5 seconds later you are looking at the desktop.

I didn't change much from my original beta. In my Rampage II Extreme setup, I added another hard drive (6 total) and changed to a IDE DVD. So I added native Jmicron support to the code and I'll add my Jmicron code to the updated beta I'll post later. Actually the Rampage boots even faster than the P6T-SE and I suspect it may be the addition of the IDE DVD writer. My next test to verify boot speed with the type of DVD writer is where I'll disconnect my SATA DVD and use a USB after boot.

But as it stands the bootup time should take about 20-30 seconds from power-on and if you shut down, it should take 3-5 seconds from clicking "shut down" to the computer turning off fully. Also temperatures should idle around 40C.

If anyone isn't getting similar performance, it's likely due to a peripheral of some sort since I've been able to get 4 ASUS boards to perform the same or in similar fashion. Luckily the fixes are fairly universal.

Hi guys,

First, thanks tweak for the guide, I appreciate the effort. Second, I'm having some trouble booting and getting SL installed. It's hanging at either com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X or AppleRTL8169Ethernet::Ethernet address. If it doesn't hang at one, it will be the other. I can't reliably reproduce either error, but the ethernet hang is much more common. Using the 2_boot_prep script after a "fresh" restore of SL to my flash drive, I get the "don't steal" hang. If I add/replace kexts or on subsequent reboots of the same unmodified flash drive it will hang at "ethernet" and hangs there for 2+ hours, so I don't think it's waiting on anything. I've played around with different kexts I've found, specifically the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext and EVOenabler.kext (for my graphics card). When I added these to Extra/Extensions the whole thing would crash at the ethernet address thing (no hang, monitor would go to standby after some gray flashing on the screen. Kind of makes me think this is a graphics card issue, but there's no sound so I can't say if it went to the GUI/welcome video, but I doubt it). A few lines before the crash I'll get something like ACPI_SMC_pluging::start ... timeout. Turning off J-micron controller in the BIOS gets rid of this error, but results in a hang at [JMicronATA].

Specs:

board: P6T SE

graphics card: ATI HD4870

CPU: i7 920

hard drives: 2 @ 500GB on STATA 1 and 2

using EFI bootloader

I've tried a multitude of kexts all with no luck. I'll post any progress or new errors. I've read elsewhere that "don't steal" is some type of decryption of Apple programs. Does this mean I am missing some vital unencrypted kext?

Thanks!

First try installing with only one hard drive plugged in (be sure both SATA port 2 and power cable is disconnected...I forgot to plug in a power cable while a SATA cable was connected earlier myself).

Also you should be using, at a minimum for install:

Fakesmc2.5 (get from netkas.com)

Evoreboot.kext

platformUUID.kext (can be removed later)

Jmicron.kext (since you seem to need it based on your post)

IOACHIblockstorageinjector.kext

Audio you can add later as well as internet kexts, if needed. Scroll back a page or two and try my DSDT file as well. My DSDT will fix your ACPI error.

Device (GFX0)
		{
		    Name (_ADR, Zero)
		    Name (_SUN, One) 
 			    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		                    {
		                        Store (Package (0x1E)
		                            {
		                                "@0,compatible", 
		                                Buffer (0x0B)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Motmot" /* <-----Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"@0,deviceType", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    "display"
		                                }, 

"@0,VRAM,memsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x04)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
		                                }, 

"@0,display-connect-flags", 
		                                Buffer (0x02)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x04
		                                }, 

"@0,name", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Display_A"
		                                }, 

"@1,compatible", 
		                                Buffer (0x0B)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Motmot"  /* <-----Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"@1,device_type", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    "display"
		                                }, 

"@1,VRAM,memsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
		                                }, 

"@1,display-connect-flags", 
		                                Buffer (0x02)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x04
		                                }, 

"@1,name", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Display_B"
		                                }, 

"ATY,Card#", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "109-B148xx-00"
		                                }, 

"ATY,Rom#", 
		                                Buffer (0x0F)
		                                {
		                                    "113-B1480A-236"
		                                }, 

"device_type", 
		                                Buffer (0x11)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,MotmotParent" /* <--Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x04)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40  /*<-----------Ram Amount: 0x40 = 1024mb, 0x20= 512mb, 0x10= 256mb */
		                                }, 

"model", 
		                                Buffer ()
		                                {
		                                    "ATI Radeon HD 4890 Series" /* Change name here  */
		                                }
		                            }, Local0)
		                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		                        Return (Local0)
		                    }
		               }

What is the VRAM of the HD4870? Also, is it Wormy, Megalodon, or Motmot?

It would be easy to just add this info and copy/paste to PEG3 or PEG7

First try installing with only one hard drive plugged in (be sure both SATA port 2 and power cable is disconnected...I forgot to plug in a power cable while a SATA cable was connected earlier myself).

Also you should be using, at a minimum for install:

Fakesmc2.5 (get from netkas.com)

Evoreboot.kext

platformUUID.kext (can be removed later)

Jmicron.kext (since you seem to need it based on your post)

IOACHIblockstorageinjector.kext

Audio you can add later as well as internet kexts, if needed. Scroll back a page or two and try my DSDT file as well. My DSDT will fix your ACPI error.

Device (GFX0)
		{
		    Name (_ADR, Zero)
		    Name (_SUN, One) 
 			    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		                    {
		                        Store (Package (0x1E)
		                            {
		                                "@0,compatible", 
		                                Buffer (0x0B)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Motmot" /* <-----Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"@0,deviceType", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    "display"
		                                }, 

"@0,VRAM,memsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x04)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
		                                }, 

"@0,display-connect-flags", 
		                                Buffer (0x02)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x04
		                                }, 

"@0,name", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Display_A"
		                                }, 

"@1,compatible", 
		                                Buffer (0x0B)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Motmot"  /* <-----Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"@1,device_type", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    "display"
		                                }, 

"@1,VRAM,memsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
		                                }, 

"@1,display-connect-flags", 
		                                Buffer (0x02)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x04
		                                }, 

"@1,name", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Display_B"
		                                }, 

"ATY,Card#", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "109-B148xx-00"
		                                }, 

"ATY,Rom#", 
		                                Buffer (0x0F)
		                                {
		                                    "113-B1480A-236"
		                                }, 

"device_type", 
		                                Buffer (0x11)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,MotmotParent" /* <--Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x04)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40  /*<-----------Ram Amount: 0x40 = 1024mb, 0x20= 512mb, 0x10= 256mb */
		                                }, 

"model", 
		                                Buffer ()
		                                {
		                                    "ATI Radeon HD 4890 Series" /* Change name here  */
		                                }
		                            }, Local0)
		                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		                        Return (Local0)
		                    }
		               }

What is the VRAM of the HD4870? Also, is it Wormy, Megalodon, or Motmot?

It would be easy to just add this info and copy/paste to PEG3 or PEG7

Thanks, I'll try this out this evening. I got the "dsdt_23Nov..." file. VRAM is 512. I'm not sure what you mean by wormy, megalodon or motmot, Google tells me this is a type of framebuffer. Where would one find this information? My card is an XFX Radeon HD 4870.

Hmm, I found this here,not sure if that's what you want

ATY_Motmot : RV770 [Radeon 4870]

Used on mac pro

head 1 : DVI+VGA

head 2 : DVI+VGA

Thanks.

I'm just trying to do after your guide but i'm still blocked and need your help. I created a USB stick but a screen of Apple have been running non-stop and didn't come to the screen of language choice. Do I need a retail DVD version, I'm actually having a 10A432 (is it a retail version) and ASUS P6T Deluxe? Plus, I have a sound card named ASUS Donar DX, will it work ?

Running verbose, I have : com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0;

kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007

Booting now with only 1 harddrive on SATA 1, Bchemist DSDT (from previous post), Fakesmc2.5.kext, Evoreboot.kext, platformUUID.kext and IOACHIblockstorageinjector.kext. The JMicron problem seems to have gone away (no hangs with or without it enabled). Still hanging at AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address... I unplugged my ethernet cable and now it hangs at AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT. I think there might be something weird going on with 64 bit as well. I'm getting the following:

nvram: Error getting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) data was not found

using 64 bit bootcache

BootCacheControl: could not unlink playlist /var/db/BootCache.playlist: Read-only file system

BootCache: hit rate below threshold

**AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider

Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

DSMOS has arrived

** Devices in slot: SLOT--1 **

Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 90:e6:ba:78:03:84

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

And this is where it hangs. When booted with -arch=i386 I still get the 64 bit bootcache thing. Tried booting with -s and did fsck and mounted / as uw and booted with -f option -> all with the above result/hang. I'm not entirely sure what these messages mean, I'll keep Googling, but if someone has a quick explanation let me know. Thanks guys!

Here is Thundercat Beta v0.1R for HD4870 Radeon and Jmicron support.

It is assumed that the graphics card is 512MB and the framebuffer is "Motmot". If your graphics card doesn't match these specs, this may not work.

Download and please let me know if it works plus other feedback.

Be sure that your graphics card is plugged into the first blue slot closest to the CPU (PEG3).

I'm just trying to do after your guide but i'm still blocked and need your help. I created a USB stick but a screen of Apple have been running non-stop and didn't come to the screen of language choice. Do I need a retail DVD version, I'm actually having a 10A432 (is it a retail version) and ASUS P6T Deluxe? Plus, I have a sound card named ASUS Donar DX, will it work ?

Running verbose, I have : com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0;

kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007

You should use a retail DVD copied to a USB. Anything else won't be as reliable. I downloaded a torrent to compare it to my retail DVD and there were indeed several mismatched files. Personally I copy my retail DVD and then use Toast to compare to check for discrepancies.

The soundcard will depend on which codecs it requires and you should have that info in your users manual. I'd try to install without it and then add it later. You need to also specify the other specs on your system, preferably in your signature if you are asking questions otherwise it will be difficult or impossible to help. For your DSDT, try one of the files posted on the previous page. They should be compatible with your P6T deluxe.

Booting now with only 1 harddrive on SATA 1, Bchemist DSDT (from previous post), Fakesmc2.5.kext, Evoreboot.kext, platformUUID.kext and IOACHIblockstorageinjector.kext. The JMicron problem seems to have gone away (no hangs with or without it enabled). Still hanging at AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address... I unplugged my ethernet cable and now it hangs at AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT. I think there might be something weird going on with 64 bit as well. I'm getting the following:

nvram: Error getting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) data was not found

using 64 bit bootcache

BootCacheControl: could not unlink playlist /var/db/BootCache.playlist: Read-only file system

BootCache: hit rate below threshold

**AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider

Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

DSMOS has arrived

** Devices in slot: SLOT--1 **

Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 90:e6:ba:78:03:84

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

And this is where it hangs. When booted with -arch=i386 I still get the 64 bit bootcache thing. Tried booting with -s and did fsck and mounted / as uw and booted with -f option -> all with the above result/hang. I'm not entirely sure what these messages mean, I'll keep Googling, but if someone has a quick explanation let me know. Thanks guys!

I'm not sure if it matters, but don't type "-" in front of "arch=i386"

Also, be sure to unplug your LAN cable if it is plugged in. Also try the DSDT above.

dsdt_Thundercat_v0.1.R_HD4870_jmicron.aml.zip

There are 2 different kext versions for 10.6.2. One is the "only one kext needed" and the other is the "two kexts (AppleHDA and HD enabler). I use the last method because with the "one kext" i had problems. If you use the one kext for audio, try this. Delete your current audio kexts from /extra/extensions. Download and move these two kexts in extra/extensions. Don't forget to delete extensions.mkext and rebuild it with kextutility. If it's not a virtualbox conflict you should be fine with these two.

Yes, I'm using these as per tweak41's guide. However, I'm not getting an audio device, just a greyed out speaker icon in the menu bar and the System Preferences are saying there's not device.

I've also removed VirtualBox but that didn't seem to make any difference. I'm back in here on Monday, I may have to start from scratch.

Yes, I'm using these as per tweak41's guide. However, I'm not getting an audio device, just a greyed out speaker icon in the menu bar and the System Preferences are saying there's not device.

I've also removed VirtualBox but that didn't seem to make any difference. I'm back in here on Monday, I may have to start from scratch.

if you are using applehda and hdaenabler in your /extra, try to remove AppleHDA in /system/library/extensions and after rebuilt the mkext with kextutility

Here is Thundercat Beta v0.1R for HD4870 Radeon and Jmicron support.

It is assumed that the graphics card is 512MB and the framebuffer is "Motmot". If your graphics card doesn't match these specs, this may not work.

Download and please let me know if it works plus other feedback.

Be sure that your graphics card is plugged into the first blue slot closest to the CPU (PEG3).

You should use a retail DVD copied to a USB. Anything else won't be as reliable. I downloaded a torrent to compare it to my retail DVD and there were indeed several mismatched files. Personally I copy my retail DVD and then use Toast to compare to check for discrepancies.

The soundcard will depend on which codecs it requires and you should have that info in your users manual. I'd try to install without it and then add it later. You need to also specify the other specs on your system, preferably in your signature if you are asking questions otherwise it will be difficult or impossible to help. For your DSDT, try one of the files posted on the previous page. They should be compatible with your P6T deluxe.

I'm not sure if it matters, but don't type "-" in front of "arch=i386"

Also, be sure to unplug your LAN cable if it is plugged in. Also try the DSDT above.

Thanks so much! Moving my card to the first slot was key (it was in the second one because of cable management issues, but I've managed to rework the system a little and fit it in). On the first attempt I got a scrambled gray screen, then I added EVOenabler.kext (attached) and it worked! I was able to go through the installation procedure and do the first boot into OS X. I ran the system partition boot script and rebooted, but it's hanging at Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007. I'm going to play around with this and maybe tempt fate again by doing another install, I'll post any results, thanks once again for the help.

EDIT: It's all working now; booting from hard drive, sound and internet. To fix the above problem I had to replace the KEXTs directory and DSDT file in the p6t essentials folder with the one's I used for my installation then run the script. I'm going to attempt setting up dual boot with Windows 7, we'll see how well that goes. Cheers for all the help.

EDIT 2: Having problems waking from sleep. The computer wakes up but the monitor is still in standby...

EVOenabler.kext_001.zip

Thanks so much! Moving my card to the first slot was key (it was in the second one because of cable management issues, but I've managed to rework the system a little and fit it in). On the first attempt I got a scrambled gray screen, then I added EVOenabler.kext (attached) and it worked! I was able to go through the installation procedure and do the first boot into OS X. I ran the system partition boot script and rebooted, but it's hanging at Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007. I'm going to play around with this and maybe tempt fate again by doing another install, I'll post any results, thanks once again for the help.

EDIT: It's all working now; booting from hard drive, sound and internet. To fix the above problem I had to replace the KEXTs directory and DSDT file in the p6t essentials folder with the one's I used for my installation then run the script. I'm going to attempt setting up dual boot with Windows 7, we'll see how well that goes. Cheers for all the help.

EDIT 2: Having problems waking from sleep. The computer wakes up but the monitor is still in standby...

Small change...this might fix the display wakeup issue.

dsdt_Thundercat_v0.1.R_HD4870_jmicron.aml.zip

I'm finishing off testing of Thundercat v0.3. If out-cold (S3) auto sleep holds up I'll consider it a 1.0. I'll upload it after a few more restarts. It does require the RIP2 script. You add it by opening System Preferences, then click "Accounts" and then "Login Items". Use the "+" to load it to your login items. Reboot and you should be good-to-go. If my previous Beta is working well but sleep is iffy, this should cure it. Sleep stopped working for me for when I was messing with my betas but this did the trick.

Coming in the new release will be between 4000-5000 lines of code. Any remaining USB issues should work as I've been shutting down, sleeping, and restarting without any problems. I also bought a really cheap-o bluetooth dongle for about $5 and my rig identified it immediately, linked up to my MacBook Pro a minute later and also sniffed out my macbook G4 after that.

I noticed something in that I was working on a different machine and used platformUUID kext during the install but then removed it and added the uuid to the boot file. Most secondarily installed apps began to crash. I put the platformUUID back and everything worked again. Maybe I'm missing or forgetting something, but that was strange...

RIP2.app.zip

... Happy new year to everyone! Bchemist i look forward to try your new Thundercat :rolleyes: . An acer laptop came in my hands and i decided to make it happy. I "hacintoshed" it LoL. I patched my own dsdt because i could not find a good one. After a lot of reading i managed to apply the cmos fix and vanilla speedstep but now i really understand better how many hours it takes you. :)

Hey Guys,

I couldn't get my sound or uuid stuff working with that install, so I started again. Not sure what I've done differently this time, but audio is working as expected, even with VirtualBox installed :rolleyes:

I was still having the uuid problem. I read somewhere that the 10.5 efi bootloader as included in the 10.6.2 Update package here, didn't support parsing the uuid parameter from the boot plist file. So I tried out Chameleon 2.0 RC4. It works really well and my uuid issue was resolved, so TimeMachine now works.

Thanks for everything, I'm sure I'll see you all for 10.6.3 :)

Please help me. I formatted flash drive, get my snow leo restored to it, launched 2_Boot Prep., install it on my flash with restored snow leo and copied p6t essentials folder (yes, I have p6t, not se, used essentials from http://www.cameronbarry.com/P6TEssentials.zip), then i restart my pc, booted up from flash, launched mac os x installation and get "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" message. What I done wrong?

Thanks in advace, please reply.

Please help me. I formatted flash drive, get my snow leo restored to it, launched 2_Boot Prep., install it on my flash with restored snow leo and copied p6t essentials folder (yes, I have p6t, not se, used essentials from http://www.cameronbarry.com/P6TEssentials.zip), then i restart my pc, booted up from flash, launched mac os x installation and get "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" message. What I done wrong?

Thanks in advace, please reply.

Is your disk mounted on the first sata port on motherboard (SATA 0)? Did you built a new Extensions.mkext for the new essentials package? Is your bios updated? Did you enable AHCI mode in bios? Also check this topic about other bios settings (cpu, usb etc). It could be anything... ;)

Is your disk mounted on the first sata port on motherboard (SATA 0)? Did you built a new Extensions.mkext for the new essentials package? Is your bios updated? Did you enable AHCI mode in bios? Also check this topic about other bios settings (cpu, usb etc). It could be anything...

I connected my hdd to another port (port2, I guess, second in the bios) - install does not loading at all. I have latest bios version, enaled AHCI. I don't know how to build extensions.mkext - nothing about it in the guide (at least before the installation).

I'll really get crazy or something with this...

If anyone can help me, please, contact me at ICQ - 358-080-967. Thank you.

-->@Bchemist

Man i need some dsdt help. I read and read... ;) It's for my laptop, i patched a dsdt with HPET and cmos reset fix but after reading i decided to make more fixes. So i added usb native recognition fix, cooler cpu fix, sleep fix ,sbus fix, ahci fix etc. I m going crazy because i can't compile it. It gives me only 1 single syntax error and i can't find why or how to fix it:)

So i am attaching my clean linux dsdt.aml and my Osx dsdt.dsl witch includes all the fixes and the one error. Could you please give it a look? You are a specialist in dsdts and maybe you could understand what this error is. Of course if you have the time... :)

ΕDIT

Bchemist i removed the attachment...problem solved :D One of the fixes i applied for cooler cpu was wrong...AppleLTC loads without any fixes so... it's ok!

-->@ClickCLK

Connect your hdd to the first sata. If you have other disks UNMOUNT them all. Leave only your sata DVD rom (if it is sata) in the second port. Download KextUtility (search the forum). Unzip it on your desktop. Now, navigate to your usb stick and find inside the extra folder, "Extensions.mkext". DELETE IT.

Select the folder /Extra/Extensions and drag the folder on KextUtility icon. A new Extensions.mkext will be generated in your usb stick Extra folder. If that was your problem, installation will go as expected.

Also be sure that inside your /Extra/extensions folder you have only your motherboard's kexts and not a compilation from this guide and another guide....

-->@Bchemist

Man i need some dsdt help. I read and read... :( It's for my laptop, i patched a dsdt with HPET and cmos reset fix but after reading i decided to make more fixes. So i added usb native recognition fix, cooler cpu fix, sleep fix ,sbus fix, ahci fix etc. I m going crazy because i can't compile it. It gives me only 1 single syntax error and i can't find why or how to fix it:)

So i am attaching my clean linux dsdt.aml and my Osx dsdt.dsl witch includes all the fixes and the one error. Could you please give it a look? You are a specialist in dsdts and maybe you could understand what this error is. Of course if you have the time... :)

ΕDIT

Bchemist i removed the attachment...problem solved :D One of the fixes i applied for cooler cpu was wrong...AppleLTC loads without any fixes so... it's ok!

Is it recognizing all of the devices? I FINALLY got my Compaq to work 100%. Whew. So I think I can get basically any of the 2000, 6000, and 9000 series to work for compaq or HP as it easily works on my HP 9000 but I need that as a Windows machine...but at least it works :) I have a couple of AMD tx1000z that I'm working on now...but I may just junk it because anything other than Intel simply isn't worth the pain...at least not now but that could change if there are no "lands left to conquer" in the Intel domain :P

So my Compaqintosh and MacBook Pro are now "buddies" via bluetooth...native bluetooth built into the Compaq's wireless card that I didn't know it was there when it used to be XP. It may be something that wasn't active in Windows XP...too late to test now since my OEM hard drive crashed and burned. Wireless internet works via a D-Link 110 perfectly. It also works via LAN 10/100. Audio was the hardest part...taking a total of about 20 hours to fix it. It even sleeps automatically and wakes with the power button, has QE/CI but only recognizes 64 meg of shared video RAM. I tested Logic Pro on it but it maxes out the CPU and has to abort the playback (but at least it doesn't KP or crash the app).

If anything else isn't working I'm curious to see if I can fix it.

Also below are the latest DSDT...v1.0 where auto-sleep AND USB restore "should" work universally.

The first file is for those who have the 9800GT video card and it's configured to run dual video cards for up to 4 monitors. I have a 47" LCD and three(3) 23" LCD monitors mounted on custom made stands so it feels like a cockpit for geeks when it's fully turned on. People who are into audio/video are left completely speechless by the sight heh heh

The video cards will work in the PCI-E slot closest to the cpu and the middle if you want to try the dual cards. Actually the system seems to run cooler if you run it in the middle slot while using this DSDT. I think I mentioned this before.

Finally I have a USB/Firewire expansion card in PCI port 2 next to the power supply. This card supposedly supports up to 128 USB devices via extensions. It has 3 USB ports and 2 firewire ports but I didn't need to hard-code for it to be fully recognized by OSX plug and play. Again this and the other USB ports should work when it sleeps and wakes up.

Sleep works...but almost too well. Using the RIP2 is supposed to delay sleep if you are watching a movie or playing itunes on the system....however I do neither. I needed to copy 100 gig of raw film footage from a WD external drive to my striped internal RAID....SLOW. Next time I'll test eSATA. But the issue is that if you are copying 100gig via USB2.0 it will take about 1 hour and if you have auto sleep set and leave the system unattended, it will go to sleep in the middle of the file copy. It doesn't mean that it will abort the copy (at least it didn't for me) but it's obviously annoying. So the wise thing is to turn off autosleep should you be doing some sort of copying or possibly rendering (I didn't test this). My thought is that the boot drive is sitting idle in cases like these so it thinks that it's "ok" to sleep, even if another part of your system is going full-blast. But then again if you are rendering you should probably be overclocking so after setting the bios it should be next on your checklist to keep power to "full"....or at least better safe than sorry.

Other notes: I have time machine backing up the striped array. The DVD is plugged into port 5 (plug 6 on the mobo...same plug just the mobo identifies it differently than SL). I strongly recommend that you also plug your DVD SATA plug into port 5 to ensure it spins down and allows the system to sleep (but if you want, experiment without the change and let me know if it works). My SSD is plugged into port 0 (plug 1) as the boot drive. Blue tooth dongles should work immediately after you plug them in with minimal configuration.

I'm just bought a QNAP T-439 that I intend to use as a network "Time Capsule" since it officially has native support for Time Machine since the middle of last month. Time Capsule is a great concept but its implementation is one of the dumbest things I've seen Mac do in years...and I actually thought they were starting to get their act together since they are promoting Mac Pro as something that you can upgrade yourself. With the QNAP you essentially have a server and you can even upgrade the processor and RAM, make a RAID 0,1,5,6 etc and then hot swap. Time Capsule is $500 for a single stupid 2 terabyte drive....where if that single drive crashes, then what? It doesn't seem like a "Time Capsule" to me....more like a "Time Bomb". Even the old WD 2 terabyte drives that cost about $400 (2 years ago) give you the option to make the 2 terabytes into 2 1 terabyte mirrors. So I can't be kinder in calling it a "Time Bomb"...unless I'm totally missing something based on what their website says. I truly want to see Apple put an end to their shenanigans but it seems like it's an unending river. This court case about the 27" iMacs should be interesting since it paints a scenario that Apple knew its units were defective but allowed them to ship anyway....yet Bill Gates is "evil" to the fanboys...end of rant heh heh

The shop owner who tested the QNAP is also a hackintosh enthusiast who taught me a couple things about VM ware so we'll see where I go with that.

Two files: One has the grapics cards, the 2nd has the grapics code removed (or it should) plus it as JMicron support. Let me know if version 2 allows sleep to enable. If not, I'll make an adjustment. Don't forget to install RIP2 if autosleep doesn't work.

THUNDERCAT_v1.0beta_dsdt.aml.zip

THUNDERCAT_v1.0BETA_forJMICRONdsdt.aml.zip