Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info tweak41,

I got it to work by playing around with the .plist files. I have tried many variations but finally got it to work. If someone is interested I can post the config files.

Thanks, looking forward to work with my new OS X system!

Cheers,

Rick

i have modified

Bchemist last vanilla dsdt whit jmicron ata support now my system read my ata disk

i have only three kext in extra folder:

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

fakesmc

EvOreboot

all working charm sleep ,low cpu temperature,native speedtep whit turbo

for jmicron you need put this kext S/L/E

http://www.tehdork.com/stellarola/SNOWKEXT/JMicronATA.kext.zip

i attach Bchemist modified dsdt here for all want test

dsdt_vanilla_jmicron_ata.zip

hi guys

i got the dsdt

its from a macpro 3,1

dual quadcore xeon 2.8ghz

dont know what else to say...

Christmas came early this year :(

I have another DSDT I'm testing now that will address some various issues that I've noticed but haven't understood enough to tackle them. The ACPI guidelines and DSDT files from Macs help tremendously. At a bare minimum our DSDT file needs to be rearranged to correspond with our I/O Reg GUI. Right now it's like flipping through a phone book that's out of order while trying to pinpoint the address on a GPS or a map (our motherboard). If things were organized everything would make much more sense. Too bad we can't get the ACPI guidelines that Mac uses.

One thing is for certain in that the more we can plug into USB and otherwise avoid legacy devices, the better off we'll be. In my case I was going to add a hot spare for my array and bought a IDE DVD. Realizing the potential conflicts I ended up getting a USB DVD. The SATA DVD never acted quite right where it would flash from time to time for no reason....so I realized that prevention is a better approach seeing as how IDE DVD's are on their last leg anyway.

I think that some of the sleep issues are related to alignment or related addressing problems. More on that once I finish testing so I have a better understanding of my hypothesis.

Christmas came early this year ;)

I have another DSDT I'm testing now that will address some various issues that I've noticed but haven't understood enough to tackle them. The ACPI guidelines and DSDT files from Macs help tremendously. At a bare minimum our DSDT file needs to be rearranged to correspond with our I/O Reg GUI. Right now it's like flipping through a phone book that's out of order while trying to pinpoint the address on a GPS or a map (our motherboard). If things were organized everything would make much more sense. Too bad we can't get the ACPI guidelines that Mac uses.

One thing is for certain in that the more we can plug into USB and otherwise avoid legacy devices, the better off we'll be. In my case I was going to add a hot spare for my array and bought a IDE DVD. Realizing the potential conflicts I ended up getting a USB DVD. The SATA DVD never acted quite right where it would flash from time to time for no reason....so I realized that prevention is a better approach seeing as how IDE DVD's are on their last leg anyway.

I think that some of the sleep issues are related to alignment or related addressing problems. More on that once I finish testing so I have a better understanding of my hypothesis.

Bchemist after changing the suspend option (bios->power) from auto, to s3, sleep is working again for me. Also the issue you had with the sata dvd is known and discussed in many posts in this forum. My previous sata dvd rom flashed randomly too (samsung). Then i used an older optiarc ide dvd rom, it was fine but not fast enough for my needs. I searched around the forum and found out that some sony-optiarc dvd roms work just fine. So i bought an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S and it works fine. Haven't seen a flash issue again!

Something else...maybe it could help you with the dsdt developing. The only issue i have is some strange usb ports behavior. For example, my EMU 0202 usb soundcard is not recognized when i boot into snow leopard. Every time i must unplug it and plug it in again. This happens only if i have it connected to the onboard usb ports (tried all of them). If i plug it on my sweex usb hub, the card is recognized after restarting! This is really annoying:wacko: It certainly isn't a soundcard problem because i tried it on my mac mini and also works fine after restarting.

Another strange usb behavior with my bluetooth dongle - magic mouse. After reading about bluetooth dongles, i bought a trust 2.1 bluetooth, broadcom chipset, used by apple too. Bluetooth works but option "allow this device to wake the computer" was grayed out. I modified the bluetooth kext, added device id etc and it worked like a charm for a week or so. Suddenly without changing anything on my system, the computer started waking immediately after sleep. This is a known problem with external bluetooth dongles, even on original mac pros.But mine WAS WORKING. I tried for hours and hours (even reinstalled osx) but nothing :D (I lost my sleep too lol). Ok i can wake the computer by pressing the power button but i can't understand what went wrong. (Also i tried with 3 different bluetooth dongles with apple approved chipsets and they all work with my magic mouse, but if i enable the bluetooth wake option...computer wakes in 1 sec after sleeping... )

If your new dsdt fixes usb issues, you are about to be my Santa Claus ! :D

And if you need any DSDT beta testers i would be proud to be one of them :thumbsup_anim:

Bchemist after changing the suspend option (bios->power) from auto, to s3, sleep is working again for me. Also the issue you had with the sata dvd is known and discussed in many posts in this forum. My previous sata dvd rom flashed randomly too (samsung). Then i used an older optiarc ide dvd rom, it was fine but not fast enough for my needs. I searched around the forum and found out that some sony-optiarc dvd roms work just fine. So i bought an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S and it works fine. Haven't seen a flash issue again!

Something else...maybe it could help you with the dsdt developing. The only issue i have is some strange usb ports behavior. For example, my EMU 0202 usb soundcard is not recognized when i boot into snow leopard. Every time i must unplug it and plug it in again. This happens only if i have it connected to the onboard usb ports (tried all of them). If i plug it on my sweex usb hub, the card is recognized after restarting! This is really annoying:wacko: It certainly isn't a soundcard problem because i tried it on my mac mini and also works fine after restarting.

Another strange usb behavior with my bluetooth dongle - magic mouse. After reading about bluetooth dongles, i bought a trust 2.1 bluetooth, broadcom chipset, used by apple too. Bluetooth works but option "allow this device to wake the computer" was grayed out. I modified the bluetooth kext, added device id etc and it worked like a charm for a week or so. Suddenly without changing anything on my system, the computer started waking immediately after sleep. This is a known problem with external bluetooth dongles, even on original mac pros.But mine WAS WORKING. I tried for hours and hours (even reinstalled osx) but nothing :blink: (I lost my sleep too lol). Ok i can wake the computer by pressing the power button but i can't understand what went wrong. (Also i tried with 3 different bluetooth dongles with apple approved chipsets and they all work with my magic mouse, but if i enable the bluetooth wake option...computer wakes in 1 sec after sleeping... )

If your new dsdt fixes usb issues, you are about to be my Santa Claus ! :D

And if you need any DSDT beta testers i would be proud to be one of them :)

Thanks for the info on the DVD options...oh how I wish everything was solid state or holographic storage already :P

The sound card I use at the moment is the MOTU 896mk3 but that's firewire so I cannot reproduce that particular functionality. I've plugged in a Roland Fantom synth where the system slept and awoke without issue...but I've used S3 for as long as I can remember since nearly every install guide I've read says to set the system to S3. OH YEA...the DSDT is coded to support mainly S3 also...I guess I forgot to mention that part :(

With your USB and no power or slow to wakeup issue, that's actually something I've been working to fix and am only now getting close where it "should" be fixed. I haven't released it yet since it's not perfect on my Compaqintosh laptop...if 10.6.2 will work 100% there, the fixes will work anywhere :P It's an annoyance in the case of a Cisco wireless ethernet USB on another rig also. It's obviously only affecting hardware that doesn't run on its own power. What I think is happening is that the system never fully wakes up after initial sleep...at least to where it can deliver power beyond its own systems. If you are familiar with the GPE scope of the DSDT it will make more sense. It's just a matter of syncing up the system buses...easier said than done of course.

Your last issue reminds me of my macbook pro losing audio for no apparent reason recently. It also has been misbehaving with its own bluetooth where it doesn't want to connect or share internet. There might be more problems still unsolved with SL since these issues are widespread. Here is where I lump these types of things into the "Mac sucks" category that fanboys brush under the rug and pretend no bugs exist.

First, I'd try to reduce the sensitivity of the mouse. It might be something so obvious that it's easily overlooked. If that doesn't work you may be able to code it into the DSDT. You'll need the device ID and other relevant driver info.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id",
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x05, 0x82, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

Above is how I'd code my own bluetooth based on the vendor ID into the USB ports or the EHCI hub. But that's just one idea out of many. Actually I'll see if I can hard-code it and get a consistent result and report back with my beta.

aint got a scooby

did u boot with f8 first to then choose the leopard hdd?

dont quote me could be a kernel panic b..?

if you can let us know what stage u are at......

ie youve formatted drive installed s/l on the hard drive u did the boot partition nad uvestalled at boot??

cheers

brother maan i need some lamens terms b ive found the efi portition but there is no "extensions" folder so when i run the kext thing it come up with this as the last line post-460069-1257377192_thumb.jpg

ive tried adding a folder but to no avail on each occasion i have to re boot with the flash drive delete the efi and then re set up the efi god news is i dont have to re instal everything lol thanks in avance b

is hard drive in first sata drive? i got that when it was in the 3rd drive or something... double check it

Thanks for the info on the DVD options...oh how I wish everything was solid state or holographic storage already ;)

The sound card I use at the moment is the MOTU 896mk3 but that's firewire so I cannot reproduce that particular functionality. I've plugged in a Roland Fantom synth where the system slept and awoke without issue...but I've used S3 for as long as I can remember since nearly every install guide I've read says to set the system to S3. OH YEA...the DSDT is coded to support mainly S3 also...I guess I forgot to mention that part :wacko:

With your USB and no power or slow to wakeup issue, that's actually something I've been working to fix and am only now getting close where it "should" be fixed. I haven't released it yet since it's not perfect on my Compaqintosh laptop...if 10.6.2 will work 100% there, the fixes will work anywhere :P It's an annoyance in the case of a Cisco wireless ethernet USB on another rig also. It's obviously only affecting hardware that doesn't run on its own power. What I think is happening is that the system never fully wakes up after initial sleep...at least to where it can deliver power beyond its own systems. If you are familiar with the GPE scope of the DSDT it will make more sense. It's just a matter of syncing up the system buses...easier said than done of course.

Your last issue reminds me of my macbook pro losing audio for no apparent reason recently. It also has been misbehaving with its own bluetooth where it doesn't want to connect or share internet. There might be more problems still unsolved with SL since these issues are widespread. Here is where I lump these types of things into the "Mac sucks" category that fanboys brush under the rug and pretend no bugs exist.

First, I'd try to reduce the sensitivity of the mouse. It might be something so obvious that it's easily overlooked. If that doesn't work you may be able to code it into the DSDT. You'll need the device ID and other relevant driver info.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id",
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x05, 0x82, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

Above is how I'd code my own bluetooth based on the vendor ID into the USB ports or the EHCI hub. But that's just one idea out of many. Actually I'll see if I can hard-code it and get a consistent result and report back with my beta.

I am really not a dsdt guy :( i only once patched a dsdt with the cmos reset fix for my older computer, but i like reading a lot and that's good for hackintosh. I will be waiting for your new dsdt :censored2:

Also i think i should start reading dsdt guides because i really want to understand better your work...

About the mac bugs i agree 100%. My best friend's mac book pro has a lot of problems with snow leopard. He installed leopard again. Also people who think that original macs don't have bugs...should read the apple support forum. New 27 inch imacs have many problems (video problems, flash player problems, performance issues, display issues e.t.c).

The bluetooth/magic mouse problem is also a common problem on many original macs...so i don't regret my hackintosh choice even if i have to use a usb hub for my Emu soundcard. That's nothing compared to the ati 48xx problems on new imacs :P

And finally i have a wish to make for the upcoming year! Hacky new year to everyone...hehehe

You are probably picking the incorrect boot prep option. I have mine installed to a CF card, it works very well that way for dual booting Windows and OS X.

But I also have it installed on my EFI partition too as a backup in case I mess something up on my CF boot and need to still get back to OS X and fix it.

It's something you're doing wrong, but unless I saw each and every step and all the log files I couldn't tell you what that is.

I am really not a dsdt guy :) i only once patched a dsdt with the cmos reset fix for my older computer, but i like reading a lot and that's good for hackintosh. I will be waiting for your new dsdt :)

Also i think i should start reading dsdt guides because i really want to understand better your work...

About the mac bugs i agree 100%. My best friend's mac book pro has a lot of problems with snow leopard. He installed leopard again. Also people who think that original macs don't have bugs...should read the apple support forum. New 27 inch imacs have many problems (video problems, flash player problems, performance issues, display issues e.t.c).

The bluetooth/magic mouse problem is also a common problem on many original macs...so i don't regret my hackintosh choice even if i have to use a usb hub for my Emu soundcard. That's nothing compared to the ati 48xx problems on new imacs :P

And finally i have a wish to make for the upcoming year! Hacky new year to everyone...hehehe

Yea I sometimes feel sorry for the fanboys who are too stubborn to even look at forums such as these where problems are solved in days instead of months or "never". I read something about a common Mac Pro audio problem where tech support was totally (and officially never declared it solved) hopeless to fix it. It was fixed on a hackintosh blog (of course). The way it's going, SL will be nearly fully open source with all of the best coding enthusiasts will be fixing all of Apple's bugs for free (like now). Tech support has never been as bad it is now and you summed up the news on the newest releases. Nevertheless, Mac sales shattered an all time record and they have what...like 15% of the OS market share now with something like 20-25% of new gadget hardware is Mac? Who's afraid of the big bad Microsoft?

Either way I find the whole thing amusing since it just illustrates history repeating itself. Mac will be the dominant software maker where they'll double their current revenues in 5 years on royalties alone. So I'm enjoying this "golden age" of Mac while it lasts and cynicism has not set in yet where the best open source coders run back to Linux again and lose their enthusiasm again. Linux is sooooo boring...and lame through and through. Nobody cared about Linux and nobody ever will. Mac is the best illustration right now of a popularity contest where even if you are really a total basket case, if you have the look or the X-factor, you cannot have a true bad day since most of your loyal follows will literally get into a fist fight with a Windows flame-baiter (I've seen it :( ) But what we are doing rules. Right now nobody gets more props than someone who can turn on their rig and their friends see a Mac graphic on a "Windows" system. Even girls I know want to know all of the details and actually pay attention when I get into the hardcore geek speak (that I normally snore to also). For most people, it is still exciting to get a new computer much like it was 10-15 years ago with mobile phones. When someone got one, everyone wanted to see it. Now most people hide their phones....unless, of course, they have an iphone. If there was a more obnoxious product that annoys me on a nearly daily basis, I don't know what it would be. But dammit...it's still cool.

If anything, I'd tell people that if they wanted to decorate their living room and save a ton of money on furniture, get a mac with the 27" screen and then you could put cardboard place mats on the floor and your guests wouldn't even notice that your room was otherwise bare. Instead of whining about no furniture, they'd all get to oooo and ahhh or check their e-mail on your pretty screen...just like the most interesting room in a place is anywhere one of my rigs is setup or if I'm messing with Logic Pro on a laptop (like yesterday when waiting for my car being turned over after repairs...everybody was trying to figure out if they were seeing what they thought they were seeing).

But I digress on my op-ed here heh heh. I have been procrastinating learning how to REALLY code for 15 years now. Now I am like an addict :P But at least the initial learning curve in accepting the big picture of what is going on is behind me and now I'm just filling in the gaps and fine details. And it's good that you are motivated to learn since it's really not that difficult. Just think of a DSDT as a telephone directory and a motherboard is an aerial map or GPS view. The I/O explorer is like an interpreter...like having a phone book in a database that you can search.

If you look at it from that simplified point of view, you can tackle finer problems as you learn what all of the acronyms mean. It's really just about connecting the dots. There are if-then statements but it's just a case of making things organized. Our single 20kb file of 7000 lines of code is nothing compared to understanding the 20,000-60,000 files in an OS. We are spoiled :)

But here is my beta, code named "ThunderCat". Why? I have no idea...fried brain maybe :P

Examples for a P35 chipset by Master Chief was responsible for most of what influenced me in this version. A number of things I had in there before were junked and redone. I put back some code that I thought was useless (whether or not it actually makes a real-world difference is still unknown) but I junked another net total of about 1000 lines of code. So the file is steadily getting more streamlined. As I learn the finest details, I think the "final" will be around 3000 lines of code. But it will probably be 6 months before I'm that confident (plus I need to slow down so I don't burn out) to be "fluent" in mobos and ACPI specs. The boards are already organized by 3rd party manufacturers where it's clear that they outsource their coding to contractors who are paid by the line. So not only is it a mess, but half of the code is garbage, even if it does what they pay the programmers to do. As enthusiasts we can obviously do far better.

Changes to code named "Thundercat":

A) I lost count but..

B) Sleep command support written for 2-4 cores of a non-hyperthreading CPU has been extrapolated to work for our 8 core potential systems. I really didn't think that a simple extrapolation would work, but it did....at least it seems to do so. My core temperatures are now below 40C and I live in the tropics so air conditioning doesn't help much. This is a first. Also I noticed that more drivers are loaded into I/O for the CPU.

C) USB sleep and wake support by popular demand. If it works it should be self-explanatory.

D) Optimized both the Asus system bus and the Mac software bus with the addition of a controller. Look for EC to show up in I/O explorer and for mac to have a driver to match it. This adds sleep/wake support.

E) Relocated firewire should anyone other than me care :)

F) Trashed ITPM and TPM since there's not a hint of evidence that it is used.

Etc.

You'll still need Jmicron.kext if you needed it with earlier versions.

Hopefully it's all downhill from here since sleep and usb functionality has been the biggest issue that kexts will not fix.

Also, I upgraded by bios to 608 yesterday. I coded the DSDT on my macbook pro and on the first run with 608 everything was flawless so far...and that was literally the first time I ran 608 bios. The base file is still the same.

thundercat_dsdt.aml.zip

Man i have to admit it! YOU ARE MY SANTA CLAUS!!!!

TEST1: Changed dsdt with the "beta" one and restarted. Booting to the os took a bit longer than usual. System profiler ok everything shown as it should be. Geekbench score 10401 (i thought i was dreaming. 32bit mode!!! Last time it gave me about 9200 lol). Sleep on demand worked. Autosleep on idle failed. Computer sleeps but fans still running. Hard restart and...before booting i plugged my emu soundcard on an onboard usb port (not recognized before. i had to plug it in and out and after that it was ok)

TEST2: Booted ...and EMU RECOGNIZED !!!!!! Restarted again just to be sure... EMU RECOGNIZED AGAIN. Then i opened terminal and gave the sleep mode 0 command. I thought that after dsdt changing system could go back to mode 3 (like on real macs - s1 suspend mode) so i write again the command: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

This is the right mode for a pc (s3 suspend mode). After this, i changed energy saver option so that my computer had to sleep after 2 mins if idle. Then...i waited ... After 2 mins IT SLEPT!!!! And finally... bluetooth did not waked it up. I moved my magic mouse and voila...COMPUTER WAKES UP!!!!

So what can i say??? You have to send an email to apple :dev: Maybe you can help them with the bluetooth-magic mouse sleep/immediate wake up problem on mac pros. :P

YOUR NEW DSDT ROCKS. (and it has the right version name too! :) )

UPDATE: hmmm this is interesting...next day sleep stopped working randomly. Some times it sleeps some others fans are still working and i have to hard restart the system.Also after 2 restarts my EMU soundcard is not recognized again. Really strange. I am going to test it when i have time...

here the last dsdt by Bchemist whit jmicron ata support.i have start

the test of this new dsdt but is not vanilla have inside dsdt fix for nvidia 9800 gt 1gb,i have the same video card

of Bchemist,but if you have a different video card this dsdt may not work well.

_thundercat_jmicron_ata_dsdt.zip

Vanilla version whitout nvidia dsdt fix but whit jmicron ata support

thundercat_jmicron_ata__vanilla_dsdt.rar

Thanks Caxio for catching that. I actually deleted the original one I uploaded after discovering that the video card info for my own system was in there, cleaned out the code for the video card, recompiled it on my MacBook Pro (that I use to go online) no less. Obviously I have a bigger problem on my Mac that I need to solve. Apple "Karma"?

Please use Caxio's version since it's indeed clean of the Nvidia code.

@Andrew79...are you sure the old version is out of your system and not backed up somewhere? After seeing something I "deleted" somehow sneak back into my own code, now I'm getting paranoid :(

**EDIT**

Here's my original....if this has the Nvidia code inside for a third time I give up....

I also added a new reboot kext below. I'm not using it on this system but I am on another. It may help with slow/strange behavior in rebooting if Evo is not working as expected.

thundercat_dsdt.aml.zip

OSXRestart.kext.zip

Thanks Caxio for catching that. I actually deleted the original one I uploaded after discovering that the video card info for my own system was in there, cleaned out the code for the video card, recompiled it on my MacBook Pro (that I use to go online) no less. Obviously I have a bigger problem on my Mac that I need to solve. Apple "Karma"?

Please use Caxio's version since it's indeed clean of the Nvidia code.

@Andrew79...are you sure the old version is out of your system and not backed up somewhere? After seeing something I "deleted" somehow sneak back into my own code, now I'm getting paranoid :wallbash:

**EDIT**

Here's my original....if this has the Nvidia code inside for a third time I give up....

I also added a new reboot kext below. I'm not using it on this system but I am on another. It may help with slow/strange behavior in rebooting if Evo is not working as expected.

Could this be possible? I am gonna scream if that's the case lol. I boot using external usb stick. It only has the boot file and the extra folder BUT inside extra folder i ve made another folder called backups and into that folder i moved older dsdt versions and kexts etc. I did this just in case i needed to make changes using my mac mini. I m gonna move the backup folder right now :wacko:

Do I still need AppleHDA.kext with the latest DSDT.aml or do I get working audio without it?

Many people here posting their used Kexts don't mention the AppleHDA.kext, that's why I'm asking.

e1ement

You need AppleHDA.kext - the one included to tweak41's guide

Hey I'm having a problem I created the USB stick it was super easy but there is one problem when I load into snow leopard I am required to format my hard drive in disk utility but.... when I open disk utility..... the gathering information wit the spinner freezes and then I get the thinking rainbow circle and it just freezes on that..... any ideas what could be causing this?

Hey I'm having a problem I created the USB stick it was super easy but there is one problem when I load into snow leopard I am required to format my hard drive in disk utility but.... when I open disk utility..... the gathering information wit the spinner freezes and then I get the thinking rainbow circle and it just freezes on that..... any ideas what could be causing this?

Try this...

Unplug all disks except the one you are going to use for snow leopard. You should unplug sata and usb disks. After installing plug them in again. If you have this problem again after installing you should check your disks. Some times disk utility freezes/crashes with problematic hard drives plugged in.

You need AppleHDA.kext - the one included to tweak41's guide

So there's no need to change my settings, because I'm using an older DSDT.aml

I still use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext. Temperatures are significantly lower and I don't want to change my BIOS settings.

e1ement

PS: My Radeon HD4870 runs just fine without any Kexts, EFI-Strings or anything else.

So there's no need to change my settings, because I'm using an older DSDT.aml

I still use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext. Temperatures are significantly lower and I don't want to change my BIOS settings.

e1ement

PS: My Radeon HD4870 runs just fine without any Kexts, EFI-Strings or anything else.

If you don't have any problems i guess you could keep what you have in you extra folder.

Hey Guys,

First of all, thanks for the guide, it's great to be able to run OSX on this machine.

I managed to get things up and running fine with a retail 10.6 DVD I have and this guide. Everything seemed to work fine and I setup my mail accounts etc. I'm not planning on dual booting or anything, this will be an osx only setup.

I'm not sure at what point audio stopped working, but it was either after the upgrade to 10.6.2 (I had to add the GraphicsEnabler=y to my boot.plist when using the 10.5 EFI boot loader for my 9400gt). Or it was after I installed VirtualBox. That was certainly when I noticed something wasn't right as I got a warning from that app that it couldn't create an audio device.

I've double checked whats in the /Extras dir and it all looks right. Anyone any suggestions ?

I'll be able to work on the machine later this week, I may take the time to back through the process again and install from scratch and then upgrade to 10.6.2 and see where I stand. If it's VirtualBox that's causing the problems then I'll be in trouble as I need to have a VM setup to run Linux for dev work I do.

Anyone got any experience running VirtualBox on this type of box with osx ?

Cheers,

Hey Guys,

First of all, thanks for the guide, it's great to be able to run OSX on this machine.

I managed to get things up and running fine with a retail 10.6 DVD I have and this guide. Everything seemed to work fine and I setup my mail accounts etc. I'm not planning on dual booting or anything, this will be an osx only setup.

I'm not sure at what point audio stopped working, but it was either after the upgrade to 10.6.2 (I had to add the GraphicsEnabler=y to my boot.plist when using the 10.5 EFI boot loader for my 9400gt). Or it was after I installed VirtualBox. That was certainly when I noticed something wasn't right as I got a warning from that app that it couldn't create an audio device.

I've double checked whats in the /Extras dir and it all looks right. Anyone any suggestions ?

I'll be able to work on the machine later this week, I may take the time to back through the process again and install from scratch and then upgrade to 10.6.2 and see where I stand. If it's VirtualBox that's causing the problems then I'll be in trouble as I need to have a VM setup to run Linux for dev work I do.

Anyone got any experience running VirtualBox on this type of box with osx ?

Cheers,

I use parallels and have no problems. Virtualbox is great for linux. I had problems with it on a hackintosh machine some time ago. It was a network/sharing problem. It changed all my configurations. As long as i used it on a real mac, no problems at all. You could try changing audio settings in virtualbox and see what happens.

There are 2 different kext versions for 10.6.2. One is the "only one kext needed" and the other is the "two kexts (AppleHDA and HD enabler). I use the last method because with the "one kext" i had problems. If you use the one kext for audio, try this. Delete your current audio kexts from /extra/extensions. Download and move these two kexts in extra/extensions. Don't forget to delete extensions.mkext and rebuild it with kextutility. If it's not a virtualbox conflict you should be fine with these two.