Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

-->@ClickCLK

Connect your hdd to the first sata. If you have other disks UNMOUNT them all. Leave only your sata DVD rom (if it is sata) in the second port. Download KextUtility (search the forum). Unzip it on your desktop. Now, navigate to your usb stick and find inside the extra folder, "Extensions.mkext". DELETE IT.

Select the folder /Extra/Extensions and drag the folder on KextUtility icon. A new Extensions.mkext will be generated in your usb stick Extra folder. If that was your problem, installation will go as expected.

Also be sure that inside your /Extra/extensions folder you have only your motherboard's kexts and not a compilation from this guide and another guide....

Tried all of that. Still no luck.

Does it matters if I use iDeneb 1.5.1 (Mac OS X 10.5.7) without any installed drivers?

Tried all of that. Still no luck.

Does it matters if I use iDeneb 1.5.1 (Mac OS X 10.5.7) without any installed drivers?

Did you format your target boot drive before you tried to install? It sounds like a permissions problem.

Junk that ideneb distro. I'm 0-10 messing with ideneb. With iAktos I'm 10-10.

Or at least boot using ideneb with your install USB plugged into your system. Go to disk utility and format the target drive. Then restore your USB to the the target drive by dragging the USB as the source and the target drive as the destination. If you don't know what I mean, you'll know it when you see it in disk utility. After it has restored, exit disk utility and quit the ideneb distro by rebooting. Everything should function 100% as you boot into SL for the first time.

I used iaktos to install SL to my Compaq laptop using this exact technique and it worked the 1st time I figured it out. No other methods of installing SL even came close to working.

@Bchemist.

Sleep is working perfect for me, for the last 2 weeks. Using your previous dsdt. I did the trick with the teminal -> sleep mode 0 and changed my usb devices order. This last thing was my solution. I am 100% sure about this. If i move my apple aluminum keyboard to another usb port...i loose sleep ;)

I m going to test your last dsdt and i will let you know.

About my laptop yes almost everything works. I ordered a dell mini pcie wireless card from ebay. This card has the same chip apple uses in almost every macbook. Also i freaked out because i could not make my bluetooth to work and today i found out that this model has no bluetooth module inside LOL. It only has the button on the keyboard and you can add one if you want. I plugged a usb bluetooth dongle and it's ok!

Card reader, sound, and everything else work 100%. There is only one problem. No sleep! No one had any sleep success with this laptop. I read about a dsdt fix, but didn't work. Generally it's a good hackbook :D Works stable and fast. I plugged a solid state drive inside and it's really faster than my mac mini... I think i am going to sell the mini :P

i have tested THUNDERCAT_v1.0BETA_forJMICRONdsdt.aml.

jmicron support not work for me,

Ok I'll look again at your code and review my own for bugs. I won't have access to a system with IDE so I won't be able to personally test it for another day or two.

Are you getting a boot hang or is it not sleeping?

Ok I'll look again at your code and review my own for bugs. I won't have access to a system with IDE so I won't be able to personally test it for another day or two.

Are you getting a boot hang or is it not sleeping?

i boot whit sata, and i have only one disk eide for for storage , but whit your jmicron code the boot is very slow and when snow start i have a error for the eide, this disk is unknown ,and ask my you want inizialize or ignore or eject this disk,but whit the old dsdt complete code of jmicron works regulary

can anyone help me with a gts 250 vga card?

At boot i'm having the pci root uuid not found

everything works, but its just kinda annoying.

when i check the about this mac, under graphics, i get this

Unknown:

Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0615

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

so anyway to get the system to recognise the card? i tried fiddling with the dsdt.aml file but its way beyond me. apparently there is a fix you can add according to the evo dsdt se program.

can anyone help?

Regards

Marc

Unable to install using this method - Please help

I have a P6T SE

I boot my USB drive and I get to the point were i hit -v and then it goes through some text then turns into a blank grey screen indefinitly. Someone please help as I have tried so many things to try and get this working.

I have a P6T SE

I boot my USB drive and I get to the point were i hit -v and then it goes through some text then turns into a blank grey screen indefinitly. Someone please help as I have tried so many things to try and get this working.

Do you have an ati card? If yes, there are posted solutions. See previous posts. Also look previous posts for bios settings information. Tweak41 's guide works perfect for P6T SE.

@ Marc5

Take a look at this post for your card. It has some solutions and a dsdt fix also.

2) You can delete the PlatformUUID kext by putting the necessary information into your boot plist file:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>boot-uuid=B18DC213-551B-37A0-AA1B-0C1001D9E004 rd=*uuid</string>

Kext Utility gives you this information when you run it. All you have to do is copy and paste it into your boot.plist file.

kextutility.png

I've had the app crashes occur on three systems where I deleted the platformUUID.kext and added the UUID to the boot.plist. I only noticed this since I needed apps that I haven't used for the past few weeks due to the holiday break or I'd use them on a system (not the P6T-SE) where I don't tweak it as heavily as I do this system. To make a long story short, I feel like one of those mechanics who used to work on the old muscle cars....to put their hands on the hood and the hum of the engine would tell them everything about every inch of the tunable portions of the V8. So call it an educated guess, 6th sense or whatever but as soon as I saw a pattern in the crashes I went and removed the platformUUID from my Rampage...and sure enough, same crashes! I put back the platformUUID in both systems and on the next reboot it was as if nothing happened to both.

Here's where it gets REALLY interesting. I decided to reinstall SL on my old P5K tester. Again, instinct told me to boot to part were you format the drive and after formatting and renaming the drive, THEN get the UUID using disk utility. Then eject your EFI USB and then add this UUID to your boot file. NOW restart the system with this boot file in place AND FINALLY install SL.

Not only will you NO LONGER NEED platformUUID.kext (for a crash free system....err well for me anyway) but you will NO LONGER see the UUID as follows:

(this would be the format of your disk utility given UUID....and no, this is NOT my real data for either :P )

Hardware UUID: C823D417-2CB7-8BEC-A20D-1BD4486CA5FB

You should now see it appear as a real Mac ID:

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0039E3493EC2

Now this is cool :angry: I hope it works should anybody else feel like doing a fresh install.

On an unrelated note, I've messed with the DSDT of

P6T-SE (obviously)

P6T

P6T Deluxe V1 and V2

P6T7

Rampage II Extreme

and several from the P5 (P31, P35, P45) and P7 (P55).

Nearly ALL are basically IDENTICAL if they are stripped properly. In other words the few lines of code that remain are more or less simply lines that I'm not sure about so I don't touch it for now....but they don't seem to affect anything about the basic booting of the OS to the desktop. As the series differ, only a few device ID's and ports are different, but usually it's just to add more ports as you evolve from the P5 to the P6 to the P7. For example the P5 has only 1 PCIE slot for a graphics card but the P6 has 3. In fact, most of the bells and whistles of the Deluxe are useless unless you don't mind paying $150 more just to make it "slightly" easy to overclock....but what overclocking enthusiast uses the automatic settings anyway? All that matters is how much ram the mobo can QVL and since both the lower end boards and the higher end boards can handle 2000 series chips, it's now a moot point (although at first they were only listed for 1333 chips at best). The case in point follows:

I spent about $450 on the Rampage board and about $270 on this board. As far as SL is concerned, they are exactly the same with the latest bios. In fact I can interchange the DSDT files and they work the same on a fundamental level. Obviously that changes if you consider audio kexts and LAN (since the Rampage has 2 separate gigabit LAN ports while the P6T-SE has 1). But most of the device ID's and hacks are identical. The mismatch of the SBRG/LPCB is the same for all boards. The USB device ID's are the same as are the SATA ports and the device ID of the added SBUS.

Some of the ports on these mobos are useless and unrecognizable by SL. In the P5Q there are 2 SATA extra SATA ports that are only identified by ASUS software in Windows. I cannot find any evidence of their existence in I/O explorer with respect to what SL can see.

Just in case anybody misunderstands what I said, it doesn't mean that you can use a P5 DSDT in a P7 mobo. Actually you possibly COULD if it was ultra vanilla (and I'd bet that it's likely) but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie for obvious reasons. But for maximum functionality you'd need to add additional hacks obviously. But I can see the logic of those who are claiming that the DSDT will be obsolete soon. It doesn't mean that I agree entirely but I see how there is chance they'd be correct in most vanilla circumstances. The only problem is that there is a never ending flow of peripherals, add ons, etc...this plus I've never seen proof that anybody has gotten a P5Q to sleep with 10.6.2.....claims yes, proof no as I've never seen a "me too" on those "how to" threads for that particular mobo series. In my case I can get it to sleep and wake up manually where it just flashes but is out cold, but that was after about 30 different DSDT attempts but I've never been able to get it to auto sleep using the claimed methods, my own, or hybrids. In Leopard yes, but SL no way. I'm at the point of trying external USB DVD writers and am considering trying a 8800GT to make it as vanilla as possible. But this would only strengthen the idea that the DSDT is the only bridge we'll truly have for 98-100% functionality (+10% more stuff than a regular Mac can do heh heh)

In conclusion, once I get the Jmicron support added and tested (or Caxio will be kind enough to add his version) we will have a guide for ALL ASUS P6 series mobos to get them up and running in vanilla fashion. Additional video cards, sound codecs, and 3rd party functionality will be for other guides, but otherwise this guide for the P6T-SE can be a "one size fits all" to get someone started who is otherwise stuck even getting off the ground.

I have a P6T SE

Please post your complete system specs in your signature so we might best help you. As Andrew79 said, it sounds like a graphics card but anything is (and has been) possible. Murphy's Law is the rite of passage on these forums.

Please post your complete system specs in your signature so we might best help you. As Andrew79 said, it sounds like a graphics card but anything is (and has been) possible. Murphy's Law is the rite of passage on these forums.

Thanks guys for the replys. I do not have an ATI card... I did verify BIOS settings multiple times.

My specs were:

Asus P6T SE

GeForce 9500GT 1GB

i7 920

WD 1TB Black

6GB Patriot DDR3 1600

I spent so much time trying to get it to work I decided to go ahead and order a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 to get that MB to work. I will be attempting it with that board tomorrow. Any advise on that board method? I definitly still would like to know what went wrong with the ASUS P6T SE.

Thanks guys for the replys. I do not have an ATI card... I did verify BIOS settings multiple times.

My specs were:

Asus P6T SE

GeForce 9500GT 1GB

i7 920

WD 1TB Black

6GB Patriot DDR3 1600

I spent so much time trying to get it to work I decided to go ahead and order a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 to get that MB to work. I will be attempting it with that board tomorrow. Any advise on that board method? I definitly still would like to know what went wrong with the ASUS P6T SE.

Just a thought for all of you who had problems with this board... Are trying to install with snow leopard image restored on the usb stick or you just boot with the usb stick and try to install from a dvd???

I ask because this guide does not work with a dvd. At first i tried using a dvd and no luck. Also just of curiosity i tried psystar's program and also dvd installation was not possible, at least on my system...

Bchemist so far no problems for me with the beta dsdt!

My specs were:

Asus P6T SE

GeForce 9500GT 1GB

i7 920

WD 1TB Black

6GB Patriot DDR3 1600

You are giving up WAYYYYY too soon. If you look at the Gigabyte thread by Digital Dreamer there are STILL endless people who cannot even get a screen to show up. From what I can tell it's because their drives, video cards, etc are different and they don't know how to compensate for the difference.

This is just a guess but a terabyte as the boot drive sounds unusual. In fact support for terabyte drives has only begun since July if I remember correctly. Just to be sure, try partitioning your boot drive into 3 equally sized portions of about 330 gig and then try to install to the first partition.

Actually try this DSDT first since you are in luck in that I know the registry specs of that video card. Be sure to plug the card into the slot closest to the mobo. This is also assuming that you are using your DVD writer in the 6th slot...or possibly disconnect it at install time.

Bchemist so far no problems for me with the beta dsdt!

This is great news :P So now I guess we sit back and wait for "Round 3" (10.6.3) in the next few days or weeks.

dsdt.aml.zip

In conclusion, once I get the Jmicron support added and tested (or Caxio will be kind enough to add his version) we will have a guide for ALL ASUS P6 series mobos to get them up and running in vanilla fashion. Additional video cards, sound codecs, and 3rd party functionality will be for other guides, but otherwise this guide for the P6T-SE can be a "one size fits all" to get someone started who is otherwise stuck even getting off the ground.

i have fixed THUNDERCAT_v1.0BETA_forJMICRON i have insert the correct code and have insert the missing scope line for P0P8 ,now jmicron is full working i share for all my version

_THUNDERCAT_v1.0BETA_forJMICRON_fixed_working.zip

Bchemist near a perfection, only facture missing is the sound from hdmi connection whit internal spdif connected on my nvidia 9800 gt, the system dectect digital line in system profile but the sound dont came out from hdmi ,whit other os windows xp windows 7 works charm

You are giving up WAYYYYY too soon. If you look at the Gigabyte thread by Digital Dreamer there are STILL endless people who cannot even get a screen to show up. From what I can tell it's because their drives, video cards, etc are different and they don't know how to compensate for the difference.

This is just a guess but a terabyte as the boot drive sounds unusual. In fact support for terabyte drives has only begun since July if I remember correctly. Just to be sure, try partitioning your boot drive into 3 equally sized portions of about 330 gig and then try to install to the first partition.

Actually try this DSDT first since you are in luck in that I know the registry specs of that video card. Be sure to plug the card into the slot closest to the mobo. This is also assuming that you are using your DVD writer in the 6th slot...or possibly disconnect it at install time.

Yeah I figured it was my board and I already sold it. As for my drive I was using a 8GB Corsair to attempt the install. I used your method to make my USB flash drive. It didnt even get to the beginning of install but failed right after the Chamelon screen and hitting enter then hangs on a blank grey screen. Even though I was NOT using my WD 1TB drive for anything at that time yet you think it was my drive? I had it hooked up but not sure if that matters. Port 6 for the DVD drive? I didnt have it hooked up to port 6 but I wasnt using it for anything - does that matter?

I will be receiving the Gigabyte board tomorrow. The file you attached how do I input this file? That file should work fine with the gigabyte board if i use the same video card correct? Any advised on this board?

This is great news :D So now I guess we sit back and wait for "Round 3" (10.6.3) in the next few days or weeks.

Yeah I figured it was my board and I already sold it. As for my drive I was using a 8GB Corsair to attempt the install. I used your method to make my USB flash drive. It didnt even get to the beginning of install but failed right after the Chamelon screen and hitting enter then hangs on a blank grey screen. Even though I was NOT using my WD 1TB drive for anything at that time yet you think it was my drive? I had it hooked up but not sure if that matters. Port 6 for the DVD drive? I didnt have it hooked up to port 6 but I wasnt using it for anything - does that matter?

I will be receiving the Gigabyte board tomorrow. The file you attached how do I input this file? That file should work fine with the gigabyte board if i use the same video card correct? Any advised on this board?

Since you had it hooked up, then indeed it was probably your drive even if you were not installing to it. The most precise yet fickle part of the process is the initial install where most installs fail unless you only have a single drive hooked up. In my case I used a command such as rd=disk0s2 when I reinstalled (or it could have been rd=disk2s2...again the system is strange when using multiple drives) plus I knew the uuid number as I described a few posts back. But what I did isn't recommended for newbies since it adds unnecessary variables to the first install where the idea is to get it up and running as easily as possible. Also I was saying to use port 6 if you are using the latest DSDT file.

You will look back at this experience and kick yourself in a month or two for the things that will feel so obvious when hindsight is 20/20. If you only knew how many bone-headed or impatient things I did not realizing that they were bone-headed yet knowing that I was being impatient where brute-forcing things or scrapping my approach to try a new one (going from usb methods to 132 boot disk and then back to usb again) when I should have just stayed with one method that worked for so many so easily.

Installing OSX, vanilla style, was a fantasy over a year ago. Now we make it look easy. That's how far we've come. But those who have made it look easy have been making bone-headed and/or impatient mistakes for months already paying their dues in the trenches.

I can install using Tweak's method or basically any other method (boot 132) in one shot on basically any system now but that's only because I know of the nearly 1000 things NOT to do since I've done most of them and failed along the way. Failing so many times is almost necessary and you should welcome it since it's better to fail early when it doesn't matter rather than fail later and lose a huge chunk or all of your important data. I read about this daily from people who got lucky early in their install and then were clueless (and helpless) when they hosed their system. What's more is that a few people (a couple on that Gigabyte thread) lost months of important data. One guy from that thread is literally PMing me now with the same scenario having sent me his DSDT to see if I can hack it to get it to boot again on his system since he cannot reproduce his initial install. His mistakes are the same...too many drives, trying to install to a RAID, etc, etc, etc. But at least he realizes that he has to throw away his preconceived notions and start from scratch.

So I wish you luck with the Gigabyte board since it's solid...IF AND WHEN it actually works...and the odds of that happening are no better than for the ASUS series...in other words 100% success for veterans vs 10-20% chance for newbies following the same guides. So welcome failure when it happens rather than run from it. Better to fail now than later when it REALLY matters. Most people who use these systems are hanging by a thread where their systems are so very fragile and they don't even realize it. It shouldn't be this way but it is since most take the approach that once it's up cleanly, they're done. But that's where it only begins. Look at the posts between Andrew79 and myself. One issue that we fixed is one that Apple has STILL not fixed. We both know people who have given up on SL on their Mac Pros and have gone back to Leopard. I can only imagine how much time and opportunity cost they lost due to down time.

And to answer your question of the DSDT, no it won't work for Gigabyte boards. It's for ASUS systems only since the basic design of ASUS and Gigabyte is too different in the ACPI tree layout.

I may, however, buy a Gigabyte board soon so I can learn about them in a hands on manner. I do use these systems in a way that is not recommended...for professional purposes. But that's only because I invested 6 months of my life (sometimes 40 hours straight without sleep) learning about them from the inside out. Since I'm a producer I may make a short documentary on them from an investigative reporting perspective. But the reason I got into them in the first place is because I've had so many problems with real macs over the years but we finally needed to migrate from Windows to Macs at the pro level. Several peers were nice enough to confirm that Mac is the greatest thing since sliced bread....WHEN THEY WORK. But if something doesn't work, you can literally lose days or weeks waiting to resolve it since their tech support is very unreliable at the higher level issues. This isn't a big deal when your market cap is tens or hundreds of millions of dollars and most of your production involves teams of coders and programmers writing you custom scripts and apps and you are using Unix, Sun, and Linux servers with a combination of Windows and Mac based software to fuel your work efforts as do most Hollywood studios. If something goes down you can just migrate from FC to Vegas of Pinnacle. It's annoying but possible and I've done it myself. But to do it as an independent studio with a much smaller market cap means that you must be efficient since you can't afford to pay programmers and tech people who eat up most of the budgets these days in production. As executive producer in most of what we do I spend most of my time writing or R&D for whatever project we are doing when we have down time. During the past 6 weeks production grinds to a halt and I was able to immerse myself in this subject. As a result I have several ideas for stories. Granted they are not blockbusters but they will appeal to a niche market, especially on the web.

So bottom line is that a Mac is great to have around but you cannot rely on them. You need a backup. That is where these systems come in since I have a Macbook Pro for detail yet I do my heavy duty stuff on one of my several hack systems due to the current issues with Mac Pro desktops (not to mention cost since I live in an area where the price can be double and the wait for parts can be weeks vs Europe or the States).

Sorry if this comes across as a lecture but I'm only saying it because I have gone through what you have experienced (also note that I have several more systems that I didn't list in my signature simply because they do not fit...and THEN there are the systems of staff and co-producers that I helped to configure) several times already and I've seen it all....well actually I'm still only at the tip of the iceberg. Again good luck with Gigabyte. I'll be joining you soon with one.

Hi tweak41, firstly thank you for the effort you put into this great guide.

having a small problem with the 10.6.2 update, after i update the system to 10.6.2 and reboot i no longer have any video, all i get is a black screen just as osx is about to display then my monitor turns itself offl so seems im doing something wrong.

i have done as you said in the guide by copying over the UUID to the boot.plist and modifying the SMBIOS.plist with my memory speed and brand name, then copying the contents from the 10.6.2 update package to my boot device ( usb stick as im using raid in the same method as yourself for windows).

My system:

P6T-SE

i7 920

6GB OCZ 1600 Platinum

GTX 260 896MB

2x 80GB hitachi in raid 0, 1x 80GB seagate sata, 1x 500GB hitachi sata

Samsung SH223B DVDRW

Any ideas where im going wrong m8?

James.

Hi tweak41, firstly thank you for the effort you put into this great guide.

having a small problem with the 10.6.2 update, after i update the system to 10.6.2 and reboot i no longer have any video, all i get is a black screen just as osx is about to display then my monitor turns itself offl so seems im doing something wrong.

i have done as you said in the guide by copying over the UUID to the boot.plist and modifying the SMBIOS.plist with my memory speed and brand name, then copying the contents from the 10.6.2 update package to my boot device ( usb stick as im using raid in the same method as yourself for windows).

My system:

P6T-SE

i7 920

6GB OCZ 1600 Platinum

GTX 260 896MB

2x 80GB hitachi in raid 0, 1x 80GB seagate sata, 1x 500GB hitachi sata

Samsung SH223B DVDRW

Any ideas where im going wrong m8?

James.

GraphicsEnabler is in your boot.plist file somewhere? It should be set to Y.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Did you update to the latest version of Chameleon?

i have tested only whit ata drivers in pata port

you need this in System\Library\Extensions

JMicronATA.kext.rar

That isn't vanilla anymore. It works just as well when loading the kext through my EFI partition and external boot drive.

Lastly @BChemist: What was the last Vanilla DSDT you did? I don't want the JMicron one because it doesn't work with the /E/E method of booting (it recognizes my drive, but cannot mount it).