[ PRE-INSTALL AUTOMATOR v1.1 ] for easily installing vanilla snow leo.

dj nitehawk

281 posts in this topic

1. I don't load any ATI Kexts.

I've loaded the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, fakesmc.kext, IOAudioFamily.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, OSvKernDSPLib.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, VoodooHDA.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext

The Kexts were loaded in another Guide exactly for the BadAxe.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1239731

2. "GraphicsEnabler=No" I've test it and it has brought nothing.

3. the adding of the UUID has brought nothing too.

4. I think the stick blink in a regular pattern. Just like the normal sticks do.

It will flash if I read or write data.

It always stop at the same point.

Now, I will make another test. Influenced by the SCSI problem.

I burn the USB-Thumb-Image to a DL-DVD.

I will report how it goes on.

looke like ur ati card is problematic... read this:

http://netkas.org/?p=128

and i dont think burning the usb img to a DVD will let u boot at all... u need to use chameleon cdboot method... which i have tried and do not advise as it is slow as hell...

so u could try by borrowing a friend's usb flash drive or an external usb hdd...

also try this injector for adding support for ur ati...

phew... i think i have a solution for ya... took me a while to hunt down this info...

still no promises though... too bad i dont have any IDE drives to test this out... mabbe i should visit my nearest museum and borrow one (just kidding mate...)

okkay here's the deal...

the IDE controller on our dg33fb boards is not made by intel... its made by marvell tech... which is why adding the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext didnt work cos that kext is for controllers made by intel...

ive managed to hunt down a kext that did support the marvell ide controllers back in the leo 10.5 days and ive patched it with the dg33fb's ide controller device-id...

this kext is called appleviaata.kext...

my only worry is that this kext was made for 10.5 and not 10.6... but... i was able to load this kext dynamically in my 10.6 with the 'kextload' command and it did load without any error msgs... and looking at the io-device-tree with the io-reg-explorer showed that a new IDE controller was available... but im unable to test wether it actually works with an ide drive since aint got one...

so ive attached it to this post for u to test...

now since u've messed around with ur current 10.6 installer i like to suggest u start fresh... and unplug all ur sata drives and any other hdds except for ur target IDE internal drive and ur installer USB drive before booting up with the installer again... just so we can get the basics running first...

and the only other kexts im using with my dg33fb are: voodoohda for sound and intel82566mm for ethernet... both are attached in the zip file...

note: sound + ethernet kexts dont work from /extra/extensions

im not sure if appleviaata works from /extra/extensions either so try that first, if not move it to /S/L/E...

so yeh let us know how u go...

Was just caught up with my weekend work, anyway I am back and am going to try this right now. Will report back asap.

thanks for helping out in here mannn...

really appreciate it...

im getting a bit exhausted tryin 2 help everyone all by my self :-)

cheers!!!

PS: wonder where all the "well experienced" hackintoshers are???

You are right, it takes time and energy. Thanks a billion to both of you and all those who have helped, cheers...

APJ

I am back and am going to try this right now. Will report back asap.

APJ

I tried appleviaata.kext and bingo! the installer detected my IDE drive. Installation completed without any problem.

Here are few interesting observation I had and am trying to understand:

1) I am able to boot to SL desktop with no KP (cheers to dj_nitehawk). When I try shutting down I get an error at the end of shut down process. I have to force restart the system.

2) I still had my Installer USB drive connected to the system but when I removed it and tried booting. Chameleon did not load. So I connected my SATA drive (which has Windows7) and rebooted the system. I set the bios to boot from SnowLeopard hard drive. It did now show my Chameleon and simply booted to Windows.

3) I connected back my Installer USB and booting my Snow Leopard from its Chameleon. The system boots to SL's desktop but what I noticed was that the system booted extremely slow. I guess it was because I also had my SATA drive connected parallel to my SnowLeopard (IDE drive).

Apart from this I still have some more issues like the wifi, sound and the PS2 Mouse, but I will take care of them.

I tried appleviaata.kext and bingo! the installer detected my IDE drive. Installation completed without any problem.

Here are few interesting observation I had and am trying to understand:

1) I am able to boot to SL desktop with no KP (cheers to dj_nitehawk). When I try shutting down I get an error at the end of shut down process. I have to force restart the system.

2) I still had my Installer USB drive connected to the system but when I removed it and tried booting. Chameleon did not load. So I connected my SATA drive (which has Windows7) and rebooted the system. I set the bios to boot from SnowLeopard hard drive. It did now show my Chameleon and simply booted to Windows.

3) I connected back my Installer USB and booting my Snow Leopard from its Chameleon. The system boots to SL's desktop but what I noticed was that the system booted extremely slow. I guess it was because I also had my SATA drive connected parallel to my SnowLeopard (IDE drive).

Apart from this I still have some more issues like the wifi, sound and the PS2 Mouse, but I will take care of them.

nice!!! that appleviaata.kext was a long shot... but glad it worked...

is ur ide snow drive using MBR or GUID partition type? u should use GUID on ur ide snow drive...

did u have to enable ide mode in bios for ur ide drive to work? (if that is so, that maybe the cause of slow hdd access/ booting after plugging in ur sata drive cos its trying to run in ide/legacy mode)... and another hunch, since the dsdt.aml got created while there were no sata drives on ur system, snow must be having some dsdt issues with the newly detected sata drive... try redoing it with the sata drive connected now... u will have to play with the bios hdd config settings to get both ur sata and ide drives to work simultaneously...

did u remember to run the script again from the terminal of ur usb installer drive, before installing snow onto ur ide drive? (cos the shutdown issue + chameleon not showing up with ur ide drive sounds like u forgot to run the script again from the installer or, something went wrong with it)... boot back into the installer and run "/snow-installer/installnow" from the terminal and look out for any error msgs...

tip: if dualbooting with chameleon doesnt work, u can bring up a boot menu on the dg33fb by pressing F10 at boot... this way, ur win7 can be MBR and snow can be GUID...

if the sata and ide drives refuse to live in harmony, u might have to go and buy another sata for snow... cos i think the dg33fb can run only one mode at a time... not too sure...

ok, guys, i have created bootable USB drive as per instructions. And when i reboot, i stuck on this screen. I dont see any disk utility option. Can anyone tell me what is this and how to solve this problem? Sorry, I'm not expert in these things. I installed Leopard few days ago, now trying to install SL.

And i m trying this on my laptop DELL INSPIRON 1520

Intel COre 2 Duo - 2.2Ghz

789 Mhz - 2GB RAM

Nvidia 8600

160 Gb Hard Drive - ATA

100_3395.JPG

Hello, I used this guide and the installation was success. But I checked out my SL is running under x32

Darwin Mac-Pro-de-Yan.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

How can I run the SL under x64 ?

Thanks

Thanks, dj nitehawk, for sharing the script! This has got to be the easiest install of osx I've done so far.

It works perfectly on my MSI Neo2-FR (p35 chipset), q6600, 8GB RAM, GTX 260, with the exception of sound but I believe that can be easily fixed. I have two hdds, one MBR (running win7, win vista, and leopard), and one GUID (running snow leopard), and am currently using my usb drive installer to choose which to boot.

I've yet to figure out where to install the chameleon bootloader and would appreciate any advice. Should I install it to my MBR drive or the hidden EFI partition on my GUID drive?

---

Am still trying on my gateway 7805u but so far, no luck.

ok, guys, i have created bootable USB drive as per instructions. And when i reboot, i stuck on this screen. I dont see any disk utility option. Can anyone tell me what is this and how to solve this problem? Sorry, I'm not expert in these things. I installed Leopard few days ago, now trying to install SL.

And i m trying this on my laptop DELL INSPIRON 1520

Intel COre 2 Duo - 2.2Ghz

789 Mhz - 2GB RAM

Nvidia 8600

160 Gb Hard Drive - ATA

we've dealt with this problem before in this thread... if u go through the posts you'll see a fully detailed explanation.... but here's the summarized solution:

delete "/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/content/plugins/appleintelpiixata.kext"

download the patched appleintelpiixata.kext from netkas and place it in "/extra/extensions"

do the above to both locations... ie: usb installer drive + installed internal drive

Hello, I used this guide and the installation was success. But I checked out my SL is running under x32

Darwin Mac-Pro-de-Yan.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

How can I run the SL under x64 ?

Thanks

change "arch=x86" in "/extra/com.apple.boot.plist" to "arch=x86_64" to make it permanent...

or to try out 64bit temporarily... interrupt chameleon at boot time by pressing any key and type in:

arch=x86_64

Thanks, dj nitehawk, for sharing the script! This has got to be the easiest install of osx I've done so far.

It works perfectly on my MSI Neo2-FR (p35 chipset), q6600, 8GB RAM, GTX 260, with the exception of sound but I believe that can be easily fixed. I have two hdds, one MBR (running win7, win vista, and leopard), and one GUID (running snow leopard), and am currently using my usb drive installer to choose which to boot.

I've yet to figure out where to install the chameleon bootloader and would appreciate any advice. Should I install it to my MBR drive or the hidden EFI partition on my GUID drive?

---

Am still trying on my gateway 7805u but so far, no luck.

u should be able to get sound by installing "voodoohda.kext" to "/system/library/extensions" and running the permission commands as mentioned on the main post...

for installing chameleon, i think go for the GUID snow drive... and set ur bios to boot from that drive... chameleon should show ur other drive and let u boot into win7 when needed...

u can/should be able to select other partitions by using the left/right arrow keys on chameleon boot time...

thanks heaps

worked perfectly on my Asus P5B Deluxe wifi

tried with other guides and i could never get a perfect install

either internet wouldn't work or couldn't get proper graphics

just added a few extra kexts that i needed and installed perfectly

done software update with no hassles

only issue is my drives are showing up as orange removable drives.

not sure which kext i need or whether i missed something in the bios

once again thank you

after a little help please

as i said in my earlier post got this working perfectly on my P5B deluxe

wanted to try it on my gigabyte EX58-UD4P

i had managed to install leopard on this MB using the lifehacker guide and some kexts some one had made for an x58 chipset board.

i wanted to try this guide so i can generate my own DSDT.aml for my board.

i followed the exact same procedure added some extra kexts to the Extra folder and ran the script

copied the snow-installer folder to the USB stick and checked that everything was in there.

now upon restarting my computer just hangs on the MB screen and wont go any further, if i take the USB stick out then the comp will continue booting.

anyone have any idea what is going on?...am i missing something in the Extra folder, smbios.plist maybe? or is it something in the bios?...i did no changes to the bios settings trying this method than with the lifehacker method.

the lifehacker method worked and was able to choose the USB drive and install from it.

would really appreciate any input if anyone has any ideas

thanks

after a little help please

as i said in my earlier post got this working perfectly on my P5B deluxe

wanted to try it on my gigabyte EX58-UD4P

i had managed to install leopard on this MB using the lifehacker guide and some kexts some one had made for an x58 chipset board.

i wanted to try this guide so i can generate my own DSDT.aml for my board.

i followed the exact same procedure added some extra kexts to the Extra folder and ran the script

copied the snow-installer folder to the USB stick and checked that everything was in there.

now upon restarting my computer just hangs on the MB screen and wont go any further, if i take the USB stick out then the comp will continue booting.

anyone have any idea what is going on?...am i missing something in the Extra folder, smbios.plist maybe? or is it something in the bios?...i did no changes to the bios settings trying this method than with the lifehacker method.

the lifehacker method worked and was able to choose the USB drive and install from it.

would really appreciate any input if anyone has any ideas

thanks

what do u mean by "hangs on the MB screen"?

does chameleon not show up?

maybe try playing around with the legacy usb support setting in ur bios...

i cant boot from my usb drives without enabling legacy usb support in my bios...

if that doesnt do it... can u explain what u meant above?

nice!!! that appleviaata.kext was a long shot... but glad it worked...

Your are a genius. That worked without any problem. I am actually replying from my Snow with Ethernet working. Voodoohda seems to be doing a great job as I also have my Audio working. :(

is ur ide snow drive using MBR or GUID partition type? u should use GUID on ur ide snow drive...

The drive is in GUID I am sure of that...

did u have to enable ide mode in bios for ur ide drive to work? (if that is so, that maybe the cause of slow hdd access/ booting after plugging in ur sata drive cos its trying to run in ide/legacy mode)...

I did not have to enable IDE mode in my Bios, it was as you asked me to configure. Mode<<Native>><<AHCI>>.

and another hunch, since the dsdt.aml got created while there were no sata drives on ur system, snow must be having some dsdt issues with the newly detected sata drive... try redoing it with the sata drive connected now... u will have to play with the bios hdd config settings to get both ur sata and ide drives to work simultaneously...

I can try that but, one more observation which may suggests that it wouldn't matter: In my first 8-10 attempts to use this script to make the portable USB to boot I had my SATA and IDE connected. At that time the dsdt.aml was created with both the drives connected. The installer took similar amount of time to show my desktop and it would behave exactly the same way it is doing now (a skyblue blank screen appears and stays for 5 min). I am not sure if it is the dsdt.aml issue.

did u remember to run the script again from the terminal of ur usb installer drive, before installing snow onto ur ide drive? (cos the shutdown issue + chameleon not showing up with ur ide drive sounds like u forgot to run the script again from the installer or, something went wrong with it)... boot back into the installer and run "/snow-installer/installnow" from the terminal and look out for any error msgs...

You are right on spot, I think I completely forgot to run the script (mostly coz I was so excited to see the drives detected) thanks to you again. Is it not possible to run that script once again from my SL desktop, because I have my portable USB drive connected to system and have those "snow-installer" file on the Installer.

tip: if dualbooting with chameleon doesnt work, u can bring up a boot menu on the dg33fb by pressing F10 at boot... this way, ur win7 can be MBR and snow can be GUID...

Let me come back after running your script again.

if the sata and ide drives refuse to live in harmony, u might have to go and buy another sata for snow... cos i think the dg33fb can run only one mode at a time... not too sure...

Sure mate, I will try changing setting in my Bios and if that is not good I will switch completely to SATA regime.

Thanks again,

APJ

:(

what do u mean by "hangs on the MB screen"?

does chameleon not show up?

maybe try playing around with the legacy usb support setting in ur bios...

i cant boot from my usb drives without enabling legacy usb support in my bios...

if that doesnt do it... can u explain what u meant above?

with the USB stick plugged in i turn the computer on and the first thing that loads is the motherboard screen (bright screen with MB detail), normally you would press delete to get into the bios etc.

well it just stays on that screen, pressing delete, f12 to choose boot or anything for that matter,nothing happens...left it there for 10 minutes nothing...

unplug the USB stick...press reset on the comp and the MB screen loads for a few second and continues booting, i can press delete to get into the bios etc.

hope that makes sense

cheers

Is it not possible to run that script once again from my SL desktop, because I have my portable USB drive connected to system and have those "snow-installer" file on the Installer.

yep u can run the script from anywhere... what matters is the selection of the correct target...

lets see if installing the bootloader + dsdt.aml on to ur internal drive helps in the sata+ide issue as well...

:(

with the USB stick plugged in i turn the computer on and the first thing that loads is the motherboard screen (bright screen with MB detail), normally you would press delete to get into the bios etc.

well it just stays on that screen, pressing delete, f12 to choose boot or anything for that matter,nothing happens...left it there for 10 minutes nothing...

unplug the USB stick...press reset on the comp and the MB screen loads for a few second and continues booting, i can press delete to get into the bios etc.

hope that makes sense

cheers

sounds like ur usb drive is somehow causing ur bios/mobo to freeze up...

try changing usb settings in bios while the usb drive is unplugged...

have u ever been able to boot up with ur usb drive on that mobo?

dont really know mate... just play around with different bios settings i guess...

yep u can run the script from anywhere... what matters is the selection of the correct target...

lets see if installing the bootloader + dsdt.aml on to ur internal drive helps in the sata+ide issue as well...

sounds like ur usb drive is somehow causing ur bios/mobo to freeze up...

try changing usb settings in bios while the usb drive is unplugged...

have u ever been able to boot up with ur usb drive on that mobo?

dont really know mate... just play around with different bios settings i guess...

i thought the usb stick was causing some problems

tried another one and even a sandisk 8gb flash card that i use for my camera

all gave the same problem.

i noticed that if i restore snow and dont run the script onto the USB stick and go into the bios the USB is visible in the boot options, but naturally cant boot into is an no bootloader is loaded. Was wondering if the DSDT.aml is causing some problems as it doesnt have a CMOS reset fix (do i even know what i'm talking about?)

as i said earlier i used the lifehacker guide which uses the USB stick install as well and that worked fine, i wanted to use your method to see if i can get better results.

might reset the bios and start from scratch also trying what you mentioned and see what happens.

if it doesnt work might have to try another method.

i do appreciate you making the script as it worked perfectly on my P5B deluxe.

once again thanks for all your help

i thought the usb stick was causing some problems

tried another one and even a sandisk 8gb flash card that i use for my camera

all gave the same problem.

i noticed that if i restore snow and dont run the script onto the USB stick and go into the bios the USB is visible in the boot options, but naturally cant boot into is an no bootloader is loaded. Was wondering if the DSDT.aml is causing some problems as it doesnt have a CMOS reset fix (do i even know what i'm talking about?)

as i said earlier i used the lifehacker guide which uses the USB stick install as well and that worked fine, i wanted to use your method to see if i can get better results.

might reset the bios and start from scratch also trying what you mentioned and see what happens.

if it doesnt work might have to try another method.

i do appreciate you making the script as it worked perfectly on my P5B deluxe.

once again thanks for all your help

ok here's an idea that might work...

skip the part where u run the script and make ur usb bootable...

instead, make ur ultimate target (internal drive) bootable...

then boot into that internal drive u just made bootable... while booting, interrupt chameleon by pressing any key and select ur usb drive (make sure to have it plugged in when booting)...

doing that will/should load the snow installer dvd... even though u booted up with the chameleon on ur internal drive...

worth a try right?

ok here's an idea that might work...

skip the part where u run the script and make ur usb bootable...

instead, make ur ultimate target (internal drive) bootable...

then boot into that internal drive u just made bootable... while booting, interrupt chameleon by pressing any key and select ur usb drive (make sure to have it plugged in when booting)...

doing that will/should load the snow installer dvd... even though u booted up with the chameleon on ur internal drive...

worth a try right?

it is all about trial and error so will give that a try later tonight and post back what happens

thanks again

About the CMOS fix if I´m not wrong it´s already done in the dsdt patcher. My DSDT.aml has it anyway and I was using the dsdt patcher I found in your package.

from what i've read, the latest version of fassl's dsdt patcher found here came out before snow did and this cmos reset problem was introduced by snow...

that page doesnt mention anything regarding to the cmos bug... and ive briefly looked at the source code and it doesnt seem to know about the cmos reset problem... it just fixes the RTC,HPET, etc... (if im not mistaken)

i think what u r noticing is, some mobo's do not have that problem... even my dg33fb doesnt have that problem... i looked at my raw dsdt and there's no problem there...

but then again... i might be wrong... someone correct me if i am...

So, just to be straight. I make a new partition in 10.5.7. (format with the mac filesystem), I run this script and select this newly created partition. Then I just insert a Snow Leopard DVD, and install it to the selected partition, and after that it'll work? :unsure:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, just to be straight. I make a new partition in 10.5.7. (format with the mac filesystem), I run this script and select this newly created partition. Then I just insert a Snow Leopard DVD, and install it to the selected partition, and after that it'll work? ;)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

nope!!!

simply inserting the snow retail dvd wont work... cos chameleon wont read ur dvd drive by default...

u need the retail dvd restored to a usb or another harddrive...

best thing is to follow the exact instructions on the main post unless u know what u r doing...

good luck!!!

Hi, I have looked at lots of threads on this topic and this looks to be the most successful/user friendly by far. Wife permitting I am planning on making an attempt tonight, but wondered if what I have is OK to start:

As a side note I am currently running 10.5.8 with everything except shutdown/sleep working as my sole OS. (Splendid)

I have a Dell XPS M1530, Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHZ. 3GB 667MHz DDR2 and Nvidia 8600M GT.

I have a spare SATA laptop drive I have borrowed to test this on as I don't want to trash my lovely leopard installation just yet.

Unfortunately I am 2 weeks into using OSX so as noobs go I am the noob of all noobs!!! (I am a windows (ergh) software developer so not clueless completely)

So once setting up my external drive with SL, using script to make my life easy and installing the replacement HDD am I good to go?

Thanks for any help/direction