[ PRE-INSTALL AUTOMATOR v1.1 ] for easily installing vanilla snow leo.

dj nitehawk

281 posts in this topic

Ok there is to many peiople saying different things about this KP! I dont know what to do......

here is how I work on it and installed it. I followed this Guide>>> (CLICK) to get it installed.

Let me tell you how I done it, and maybe you can pick up on any mistakes I have made...

Ok so working from my Leopard 10.5.8 Install with this system....

OS X 10.5.8 Vanilla + EFI!

Intel D975XBX2 (BAD AXE 2)

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 PCI-E Card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6660 Kentsfield 2.4GHz CPU

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (Used for installing Snow Leopard onto) /Volumes/DVD

320GB SATA II Hard Drive (Used for booting Snow Leopard) /Volumes/OSX

3GB Ram

I done......

1. Restore the retail "Snow Leopard Install DVD" to my Sata 2 Hard Drive with a MBR partition called "DVD".

2. Download and Run the script (From the above guide) from "desktop/snow-installer/installnow" by double-clicking on it.

3. Go through the on-screen prompts. Select the above restored install dvd partition as the target

For ex: "/Volumes/DVD" so that the installer dvd partition becomes bootable.

4. Copy the folder "desktop/snow-installer" to the above restored location. For ex: "/Volumes/DVD/"

5. Restart the computer and boot into the above install "DVD" that I made from the "Snow Leopard Install DVD"

6. It didnt work!!! I got my 1st KP from SL (See Kernel Panic 1 attached) :thumbsup_anim:

SO THIS IS THE POINT I STARTED TO LOOK FOR IDEAS TO WHAT WAS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM! AND OF COURSE IT WAS THE AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext INSIDE THE IOATAFamily.kext

SO I FIXED THIS PROBLEM BY FINDING THE IOATAFamily.kext IN MY /Volumes/DVD PARTITON AND DELTEING THE AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext INSIDE IT.....

NOW IT BOOTS FINE! 100% RIGHT INTO THE SNOW LEOPARD INSTALLER!

SO........

7. After the retail installer loads, Open up Disk Utility and Partition the drive where you want SL to be installed onto! mine was "/Volumes/OSX"

(Remember I have a boot drive called /Volumes/DVD and now an SL partition called /Volumes/OSX where SL will be installed onto)

8. then click "Utilities" > "Terminal" in the menu and type the following to run the script again: "/snow-installer/installnow"

9. Go through the prompts again and select your final destination disk/partition that SL will be installed onto! For ex: "/Volumes/OSX"

9. Close the terminal, restart as the installer says and reboot without the /Volumes/DVD sata 2 hard drive plugged in.

10. system restarts and BOOOOM! the same kernel panic as before!

See attached image!

Solutions.....

Now I can think of one solution to this..

1.Delete the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext or would i delete the IOATAFamily.kext Altogether?

2.Type in terminal: diskutil unmount -f /Volumes/OSX Open up Disk Utility.

Click on your install location on the left hand side Press Repair disk -

3. Im now stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help? Does anyone know the Bad Axe 2 Bios options for Snow Leopard?

post-431746-1253119221_thumb.jpg

I obviously need to run this installer script from a 10.5 installation in ACHI mode. My 10.5 drive is not ACHI but a MBR. Will it run in ACHI mode to do the install or will it break my 10.5 installation? It broke my Win7 installation on a non-ACHI drive. Thanks :blink:

SO I FIXED THIS PROBLEM BY FINDING THE IOATAFamily.kext IN MY /Volumes/DVD PARTITON AND DELTEING THE AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext INSIDE IT.....

NOW IT BOOTS FINE! 100% RIGHT INTO THE SNOW LEOPARD INSTALLER!

dude!!! u had the answer sitting infront of u the whole time...

do u see how after deleting "/volumes/dvd/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/contents/plugins/applepiixata.kext" enabled u to boot the osx installer???

the reason u r still getting the KP is because there's still a copy of that kext on ur installed SL partition at: "/volumes/OSX/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/contents/plugins/applepiixata.kext"

so also delete that copy as well... that will let u boot into ur OSX volume without a KP....

do exactly this:

plug in "/volumes/dvd" and boot into the installer again... dont install snow leo again... just launch the terminal from the utilities menu... then issue the following command to delete that goddamn kext from ur OSX partition as well:

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

that is it... there's nothing else u need to do.... just delete the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from both ur OSX and DVD volumes...

I obviously need to run this installer script from a 10.5 installation in ACHI mode. My 10.5 drive is not ACHI but a MBR. Will it run in ACHI mode to do the install or will it break my 10.5 installation? It broke my Win7 installation on a non-ACHI drive. Thanks :blink:

ahci has nothing to do with mbr...

its like this:

AHCI vs. IDE

MBR vs. GUID

obviously my script+guide is for ppl who have done vanilla osx installations before...

if you dont understand the basics of osx86 please read a guide written specifically for your motherboard/pc model to avoid any mishaps... but i guess thats too late for ur win7...

try these guids for starters:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...s#10.6.0_Guides

I am sure I had deleted this from the installer drive /volumes/dvd/ in my case....

BUT I DIDNT DELETE IT FROM THE /volumes/OSX after Install!!

Now it makes sence! :blink: I will try and report back to you buddy!

thanks for helping out and I will let know how it goes. ;)

Bad Axe 2 Guide comming soon!

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on 2morrow!

I am sure I had deleted this from the installer drive /volumes/dvd/ in my case....

BUT I DIDNT DELETE IT FROM THE /volumes/OSX after Install!!

Now it makes sence! :) I will try and report back to you buddy!

thanks for helping out and I will let know how it goes. :dance_24:

Bad Axe 2 Guide comming soon!

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on 2morrow!

oh hey and i also read the last 2 sata ports on the badaxe2 dont work with snow... so u might wanna plug in ur OSX disk to the very first sata port...

lemme know how u go... good luck!!!

The answer to my question is that you can run an IDE MBR 10.5 installation with the BIOS configured to ACHI. That means I can run this script from my current 10.5 installation. You cant run a non ACHI Windows partition in ACHI mode or you will break it. Thanks.

hey a few of us at infinitemac found a few issues with this script... so im trying to fix those now...

just doing some final testing...

will update this post with version 1.1 soon... you can try the existing v1 and give me feedback...

here's the link to the other forum so you might find some answers there:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/auto-pre-in...-vanilla-t4041/

here I'm finally back. I follwed your 10 steps and your tips, found this panic:

npvhash=4095
   PRE Enabled

vm_page_bootstrap 511510 free pages and 12778 wired pages
   standard time cicling quantum is 10000 us
   mig_table_max_displ = 73
   panic (cpu 0 caller 0x2abab2): kernel trap at 0x00508684, type 14=page fault, regsiters:
   CR0:...	 CR2:...	 CR3:...	 CR4:...
   EAX:...	 EBX:...	 ECX:...	 EDX:...
   CR2:...	 EBP:...	 ESI:...	 EDI:...
   EFL:...	 EIP:...	 CS:...	  DS:...

Debugger caller: <panic>
   Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potencial args on stack)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS Version:
   Not set yet

I have no idea what does it mean. My specs are: DG31PR firmware 66, Core2Duo E6750, 2gb ddr2, GeForce 8400gs 256mb, 80gb IDE HDD running Leopard 10.5.7 iATKOS v7 fully functional. SL installer is in another 8gb IDE HDD. Thanks in advance for any help.

hey a few of us at infinitemac found a few issues with this script... so im trying to fix those now...

just doing some final testing...

will update this post with version 1.1 soon... you can try the existing v1 and give me feedback...

here's the link to the other forum so you might find some answers there:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/auto-pre-in...-vanilla-t4041/

npvhash=4095
   PRE Enabled

vm_page_bootstrap 511510 free pages and 12778 wired pages
   standard time cicling quantum is 10000 us
   mig_table_max_displ = 73
   panic (cpu 0 caller 0x2abab2): kernel trap at 0x00508684, type 14=page fault, regsiters:
   CR0:...	 CR2:...	 CR3:...	 CR4:...
   EAX:...	 EBX:...	 ECX:...	 EDX:...
   CR2:...	 EBP:...	 ESI:...	 EDI:...
   EFL:...	 EIP:...	 CS:...	  DS:...

Debugger caller: <panic>
   Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potencial args on stack)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS Version:
   Not set yet

I have no idea what does it mean. My specs are: DG31PR firmware 66, Core2Duo E6750, 2gb ddr2, GeForce 8400gs 256mb, 80gb IDE HDD running Leopard 10.5.7 iATKOS v7 fully functional. SL installer is in another 8gb IDE HDD. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ta very much for the top drawer script and instructions :thumbsup_anim:

I think being asked several times if you are sure you want to install files to a specific partition should save many a noob (like myself) from frying the wrong partitions :thumbsup_anim:

Just transferring the files and settings from my 10.5.8 partition and then it's time to play with some kexts.

Thanks again

LONG LIVE THE HACKINTOSH

Ta very much for the top drawer script and instructions :)

I think being asked several times if you are sure you want to install files to a specific partition should save many a noob (like myself) from frying the wrong partitions :thumbsup_anim:

Just transferring the files and settings from my 10.5.8 partition and then it's time to play with some kexts.

Thanks again

LONG LIVE THE HACKINTOSH

I finally managed to boot without the boot 132 disk with both my videocards working thanks to this guide. Thanks man I´m really greatfull, you see the info you´ve posted here is very usefull not only for your own method.

I found out of a lazzzy method and hopefully it works ok, seems so. Going to re install tomorrow just to test it once more.

I already had installed SL using a method via a boot 132 disc from another thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183406

Downloaded the installation package from here with the new chameleon inside

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766

Put "my kexts" in the extra/entensions folder in this package, the DSDT.aml i got using the DSDT patcher from your thread here and your com.apple.boot.plist I put in extra. I did what you told me "GraphicsEnabler=no" and typed in my UUID for my harddrive in the com.apple.boot.plist too.

Then i put that installation package in gear, when it finnished I ran kexthelper rebooted and voila all seems to work pretty ok.

Thanks again you rock.

try this first... this is from another thread for dg31pr... apparently this fixed their KP:

Changed the advanced settings/drive configuration and disabled auto mode in bios

if that doesnt work, try running ur IDE hdds in AHCI mode (not sure if this can be done cos u dont have sata drives - but try anyways...)

if that doesnt work, look at this post from netkas: http://netkas.org/?p=125

the stock ide kext in snow doesnt work for intel ide controllers... so u gotta delete whats already on ur hdd and replace it with his kext... (do that for both ur installer partition and ur installed partition)

terminal commands:

to remove:

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/XXX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

xxx = name of ur installer and/or installed SL

to copy: (u can put in either /S/L/E or /E/E folders after deleting the stock kext)

to put in /S/L/E:

cp -R /volumes/XXX/path-to-the-downloaded-kext/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext /Volumes/XXX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

or to put in /E/E:

cp -R /volumes/XXX/path-to-the-downloaded-kext/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext /Volumes/XXX/Extra/Extensions

if u put it in /S/L/E, please repair permissions with the following:

• sudo chown -R root:wheel /volumes/XXX/system/library/extensions
  • sudo chmod -R 755 /volumes/XXX/system/library/extensions
  • sudo diskutil repairpermissions /volumes/XXX
  • sudo touch /volumes/XXX/system/library/extensions

if none of this work, i have no idea how to fix ur KP as it doesnt output any specific error msg that can be traced back to anything (not to my knowledge anyway)

if all else fails, u might have to ditch ur ide drive and get a sata... but im positive that by removing the stock ide kext and replacing it with netkas's kext will sort u out...

i might be able to get a better idea of whats going on if i could see a pic of the error messages...

Sorry, I don't know how to take a screen show while the computer is still in the booting process. Here are some that stuck out.

"No such file or directory" for profile/displays, "Error getting variable- boot-args", "Boot cacheControl; could not unlink", playlist.."

"System shutdown: false.", Panic (cpu 0), "No HPETs available", "Debugger called: <panic> .

If someone can tell me how to take a screenshot or record a list, I will.

also, what type of hdd's u using? ide or sata? ahci enabled?

They are all sata. I tried with and without ahci enabled.

confirm that the following file exists on your snow volume...

/Extra/dsdt.aml

Yes, it was there.

we'll take it from there...

Thanks again for your help. Maybe my system is mac-enough to do this. :)

I've been running an iDeneb 10.5.6 on the machine since it came out and have NEVER had a kernel panic! I'd never upgraded if I hadn't made the mistake of upgrading to iTunes 9. It requires Safari 4 and I cant run it. I tried the iDeneb upgrade to 10.5.8 and my test drive wouldnt boot after that. ;)

ok here's the problme...

Panic (cpu 0), "No HPETs available"

u need to enable HPET in ur bios...

if hpet's not available in ur bios, try the following boot flag:

ForceHPET=Yes

enter the above text by interruptiing chameleon boot process by pressing any key while it boots...

if that doesnt work, download this kext and put it in the "/extra/extensions" on both ur installer patition and the installed partitions...

if none of that works, please look at a guide specific to ur mobo and see whats missing...

do u see how after deleting "/volumes/dvd/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/contents/plugins/applepiixata.kext" enabled u to boot the osx installer???

the reason u r still getting the KP is because there's still a copy of that kext on ur installed SL partition at: "/volumes/OSX/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/contents/plugins/applepiixata.kext"

so also delete that copy as well... that will let u boot into ur OSX volume without a KP....

do exactly this:

plug in "/volumes/dvd" and boot into the installer again... dont install snow leo again... just launch the terminal from the utilities menu... then issue the following command to delete that goddamn kext from ur OSX partition as well:

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

that is it... there's nothing else u need to do.... just delete the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from both ur OSX and DVD volumes...

ahci has nothing to do with mbr...

its like this:

AHCI vs. IDE

MBR vs. GUID

obviously my script+guide is for ppl who have done vanilla osx installations before...

if you dont understand the basics of osx86 please read a guide written specifically for your motherboard/pc model to avoid any mishaps... but i guess thats too late for ur win7...

try these guids for starters:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...s#10.6.0_Guides

Ok! so I booted up into my DVD partition, ready to do a new install.

Open Terminal and type this..

and I get

bash: sudo: command not found?

H.E.L.P!!

Ok! so I booted up into my DVD partition, ready to do a new install.

Open Terminal and type this..

and I get

bash: sudo: command not found?

H.E.L.P!!

oooooooopsss my bad.... do this without the "sudo" part:

rm -rf /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

ready to do a new install.

u gotta do this AFTER snow has been installed to ur target partition... otherwise there'll be nothing to delete on that partition...

I done this.....

rm -rf /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

AND

rm -rf /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

so i removed IOATAFamily.kext altogether by the looks of it! and now im in SL!

Can I do an update ok? to 10.6.1 without any problems???

woah!!! that one i havent seen before...

what laptop is it? does it have multi core cpu? is HPET enabled in bios?

try this boot flag:

CPUS=1

lemme know what ur laptop make/model is....

i got lenovo y300 (ich7 mobo) core duo

intel 945gm with 2 gb ram 950gma graphics card

my bios wont let me change any setting related to ahci even though i have a sata drive

pls help dude

now im in SL!

Can I do an update ok? to 10.6.1 without any problems???

nice!!!

and i dont know... i personally dont update my hacks...

once i get them to function properly, i just leave em at that... i never touch working systems :-)

i got lenovo y300 (ich7 mobo) core duo

intel 945gm with 2 gb ram 950gma graphics card

my bios wont let me change any setting related to ahci even though i have a sata drive

pls help dude

in ur current osx 10.5, is ur hdd detected as ide or ahci? does it say "xxx AHCI controller" in "system profiler" > "sata"?

or what does it say???

and what kexts are u using with ur 10.5 install? how did u get ur graphics working in 10.5?

its gonna be pretty difficult to get snow running on laptops in my experience... but not impossible...

have u tried asking other lenovo y300 users for help?

in ur current osx 10.5, is ur hdd detected as ide or ahci? does it say "xxx AHCI controller" in "system profiler" > "sata"?

or what does it say???

and what kexts are u using with ur 10.5 install? how did u get ur graphics working in 10.5?

its gonna be pretty difficult to get snow running on laptops in my experience... but not impossible...

have u tried asking other lenovo y300 users for help?

dude dunno what you meant so pls look at screen shot

i used i deneb 10.5.6 for leo

pls suggest some way

post-222598-1253191745_thumb.png

dude dunno what you meant so pls look at screen shot

i used i deneb 10.5.6 for leo

pls suggest some way

have u been able to launch the retail installer and install snow to ur hdd?

the reason i ask is i see a volume called "Snow" and the available space suggests that u have installed snow onto it... is this right?

cos if u were able to boot the retail installer and install snow onto ur lappy, that means it certainly is a problem related to ur hdd on the laptop... cos the only thing different from ur installer partition and ur snow partition would be the hdd controller its connected through...

for ex: if u used a usb hdd or usb pen for the installer, that means its connected via ur USB controller... and from the looks of things, ur laptop hdd is connected via a standard non-ahci sata controller...

so we gotta figure out how to get snow to detect ur non-ahci sata controller...

im gonna have to do some research on this one...

lemme know if u find anything too...