[ PRE-INSTALL AUTOMATOR v1.1 ] for easily installing vanilla snow leo.

dj nitehawk

281 posts in this topic

I can report that i had this script installed on 3 machines for a week and it's working great.

>>>>> THANKS A LOT ! <<<<<<

i read and tried many tutos that are more or less related to my mobos, including the lifehacker one that works great too, but i coudn't feel i could manage cham extras like in here so i'm sticking so far by this instal for more machine i need to make too.

here's few comments :

- when i ran the script, i had some message like "can"t find UUID host something error 35". i think i had this error on at least two differents comps

- the folder "Extra" and the file "boot" have a red label, plus this two are protected, we don't have privilgeges. is it possible in some next version i hope to come, that your installer doesn't put any color label ? thanks.

- what is not working after installing for me after install:

time machine

sleep

bonjour

- I saw somewhere that if you put in the com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

chameleon can recognize your ethernet card and it can fixe time machine. worked for me i think (time machine is working, i did some other stuff, but i think it's because of this fix)

there is also a bonjour fix for Realtek cards

all i'm missing is sleep in fact, i sould find something.

Anyway, i was also wondering if you're planning on following this install script, like new version and stuff. maybe i'll firstly translate it into french, and maybe make a longer tuto how to make a hackintosh from scratch. I have collected many informations, still do. most of the tutos here are outdated by your method in fact it seems :)

yes i saw also some dd script, but it says it's running only on ex58 mobos, so i don't why the fuss about it.

• 3 weeks later...

hello there again..

i finally installed Snow Leopard successfully on intel DG31PR with DellSnowCD and Retail Snow Leopard DVD.

but i still have many problems..

still need DellSnowCd to boot to Snow Leopard ( i have working Leopard on other hdd)

usb seems not working well.. even my usb keyboard and mouse but my ext hdd doesnt

no sound, i tried dump alc888* with no success

how can i solve these problems? so it can boot up again.. and for installing all kext needed by this mb

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

sorry for being absent from this forum as i've been bogged down with work...

things are slowing down now and i was wondering if people still find this script useful and if it was worth spending some time to update the package with the latest bits.

let me know if you would like me to update this pkg so that it will work properly with snow leo 10.6.2...

i personally havent updated to 10.6.2 yet but will do soon...

if enough people would like to see this script updated, will do that too :-)

hi guys,

things are slowing down now and i was wondering if people still find this script useful and if it was worth spending some time to update the package with the latest bits.

let me know if you would like me to update this pkg so that it will work properly with snow leo 10.6.2...

no offense dj but I would like alot of things however I need ur help since I last was on this forum! I need help installing this script onto my specs but new card because before u couldn't get it to work right with the old one! So now I have everything the same but new card sapphire ati radeon 4870! Please I need your help by the way with the old one I could boot but that was it with the old card now with the ati Card I can't boot!

Plz help!

no offense dj but I would like alot of things however I need ur help since I last was on this forum! I need help installing this script onto my specs but new card because before u couldn't get it to work right with the old one! So now I have everything the same but new card sapphire ati radeon 4870! Please I need your help by the way with the old one I could boot but that was it with the old card now with the ati Card I can't boot!

Plz help!

try these kexts... http://www.kexts.com/cat/10-ati.html

one by one... not all of them together of course...

i dont own any ati cards so cant really offer any specific help... sorry!

oh and dont forget to disable auto graphics detection in /extra/com.apple.boot.plist when trying out the above kexts...

good luck!

hi guys,

Thank you for a great job!

As i can see your SL installation tool is the only automated solution. Nobody gives us quick and easy way of installing SL without digging hundreds of topics and looking for needed kexts. So if you ask who wants to see this script updated, I answer "ME!" :)

try these kexts... http://www.kexts.com/cat/10-ati.html

one by one... not all of them together of course...

i dont own any ati cards so cant really offer any specific help... sorry!

oh and dont forget to disable auto graphics detection in /extra/com.apple.boot.plist when trying out the above kexts...

good luck!

so do i put the kext name in the playlist to and if so how would I do that?

so do i put the kext name in the playlist to and if so how would I do that?

1. edit /extra/com.apple.boot.plist and make GraphicsEnabler=No

2. place the kext in /extra/extensions

3. if /extra/extensions.mkext exists, delete it.

4. reboot.

try each kext from kexts.com. dont forget to only try one kext at a time.

if none of that works, you will have to talk another user who has got their 4870 card working with snow and get the graphics kext from them.

DJ! Thanks a lot for this awesome script! I seem to be having trouble still on booting the SL disk. I know it has to be user error of some kind. I get down to where it says:

systemShutdown false

then it goes down a few more lines, but they go down so fast that I can't read them and then it restarts the pc. I've got the same thing every time

I will try taking out the kexts I added, but do you have any clue as to what could cause this? System specs are in my sig! I will let you know if removing the kexts work. I will not be able to that until about 6pm central time when I get home from work. Thanks again!

BTW I do not have my Windows 7 disks in my sig hooked to the PC right now just so you know those won't be bothering it!

Edit: Also I am booting Snow Install DVD on an external USB HDD. Just an FYI!

Edit2: Ok so I tried taking out all kexts except the ones i needed. Still won't boot. Also, it doesn't restart. I said that wrong before. The display just goes to sleep. I decided to run for the heck of it with these commands:

-v -f -x32 cpus=1 maxmem=3072

Just thought I would see what happened. So now it is getting to this:

USBF: 158.176 AppleUSBEHCI [0x75c8800] : : start unable to initialize UIM

Then it goes to this and this is as far as it has gotten so far:

IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00:: setPowerState(0x6a6fc00, 3 -> 4) timed out after 100102 ms

I've heard that some nforce chip sets have not had as much luck with your method. (not dissing you installer cause it's great! just found some other threads where some nforce people had trouble.)

Any idead on what to try next? Thanks!

I've heard that some nforce chip sets have not had as much luck with your method. (not dissing you installer cause it's great! just found some other threads where some nforce people had trouble.)

Any idead on what to try next? Thanks!

have u seen this thread? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

try the kexts from that...

and i dont think sli works with osx at all...

as far as i know, you should add 'applenforceata.kext' so that any sata drives with get detected and you should look for a thread that explains how to get that gtx260 card working and use whatever they use to get ur gfx card detected...

like ive said in the opening post, this script is mainly geared towards ppl with compatible intel chipset mobos and nvidia graphics...

have u seen this thread? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

try the kexts from that...

and i dont think sli works with osx at all...

as far as i know, you should add 'applenforceata.kext' so that any sata drives with get detected and you should look for a thread that explains how to get that gtx260 card working and use whatever they use to get ur gfx card detected...

like ive said in the opening post, this script is mainly geared towards ppl with compatible intel chipset mobos and nvidia graphics...

Ya I am trying that thread right now. Since yours is geared for Intel boards I'm sure that's why it is not working. I am trying the method I saw there now. Thanks for the heads up!

1. edit /extra/com.apple.boot.plist and make GraphicsEnabler=No

2. place the kext in /extra/extensions

3. if /extra/extensions.mkext exists, delete it.

4. reboot.

try each kext from kexts.com. dont forget to only try one kext at a time.

if none of that works, you will have to talk another user who has got their 4870 card working with snow and get the graphics kext from them.

Ok so i did this installation but it Still won't work!

Here is a video of what happens!

Please help if you can!

Ok so i did this installation but it Still won't work!

Here is a video of what happens!

Please help if you can!

hey just noticed ur sig... are using a modified kernel to get support for pentium 4? cos the stock snow leo kernel doesnt support pentium 4 cpu's...

here's a modified sl kernel that supports p4 cpu's...

http://rapidshare.de/files/48222126/mach_432.rar.html

Well that didnt work my snow partition will not boot into single user mode! It just gives me the same error.

try this then http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels...-10.2.0.pkg.zip

the guide is clearly meant for pro :( is there a noob friendly version .

i dont think it gets any noob friendlier than this... im yet to see any simpler method than this guide...

the ikaros distro would be the ideal solution for noobs but that isnt out yet...

btw looks like u got 129 posts and an 'InsanelyMac Geek' status... i dont think ur a noob at all :-)

some questions :

can this be installed without having usb drive?

yep... can be done with multiple internal hdds... can be done with multiple partitions on the same hdd... just be careful when using a single hdd...

can this be installed with only sl dmg ( no dvd)?

yep... just restore the dmg to a temporary partition and make that partition bootable by running the script... then boot into that partition (the snow installer)... read the guide a couple of times for the rest of the instructions...

good luck!

I am currently using os x 10.5.6 (iPC).

But I am not able to boot from the modified installation on my pen drive.

KP screenshots - http://img521.imageshack.us/g/dscn0048w.jpg/

PLZ HELP!!

Intel DG31PR + Nvidia8400GS

we have dealt with this problem before... please use the search function for detailed info...

solution briefly:

1. in leo 10.5, delete the following file from ur installer partition on the pen drive:

/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/contents/plugins/applepiixata.kext

2. download the following kext and place it in /extra/extensions of the pen drive

http://rapidshare.de/files/48088165/AppleI...A.kext.zip.html

3. after installing to ur ultimate sl destination, repeat the above process on the ultimate partition as well before u boot into ur new sl installation... or u will see the same kp...

if after deleting and adding the kext still gives u the same kp, try booting with the '-f' boot flag so that boot caches will get rebuilt...

• 2 weeks later...

good to hear some news from you nitehawk

i use your script on 5 of my hackintosh now(see my footnotes, but needs update), works fine in OS 10.6.2:)

i have few glithches around my comps, all the same :

- ram is not properly recognized in the about box sometimes (it says 2GB instead of 4 GB), not on all configs.

- you could add the ktext "Platform UUID.kext" by default maybe, seems like required on most config. when i ran the script, i had some message like "can"t find UUID host something error 35".

- the folder "Extra" and the file "boot" have a red label, plus this two are protected, we don't have privilgeges. is it possible in some next version i hope to come, that your installer doesn't put any color label ? thanks.

time machine

sleep

bonjour

- I saw somewhere that if you put in the com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

chameleon can recognize your ethernet card and it can fixe time machine. worked for me i think (time machine is working, i did some other stuff, but i think it's because of this fix. maybe it can be by default for your instal ? not sure.

some hope to see a next version soon, let me know i can test it.

thanks

- ram is not properly recognized in the about box sometimes (it says 2GB instead of 4 GB), not on all configs.

- you could add the ktext "Platform UUID.kext" by default maybe, seems like required on most config. when i ran the script, i had some message like "can"t find UUID host something error 35".

- the folder "Extra" and the file "boot" have a red label, plus this two are protected, we don't have privilgeges.

time machine

sleep

bonjour

cool i wont put color labels on the next version :-)

in the meantime, can u try the latest PC EFI boot file from netkas and see if it solves ur sleep, ram size and ethernet issues?

the latest netkas boot file breaks my sleep function :-(

but it might work for you...

• 1 month later...

I hope I get a response here. I have been trying to find a way to get my system to run, with no luck. Yesterday, I found another member who has a very similar system to mine and got it up & running using this method. So, today I tried and got farther than I have been able to.

A quick history.

Running an Intel DG31PR with a Core 2 Duo E7200 4gb memory. Video is an ASUS EN8400GS Silent, contains onbaord Audio & Networking. Using the Empire EFI boot disk, I have been able to get Snow up & running. However, because I am booting from a CD, I am unable to change the KEXTs and as a result the video is not recognized. So, looking for a new way to go and this seems to be it.

I have followed your directions and made as many changes as I could find in the BIOS in Tip 0. When I boot, I am actually making some headway, but then I get an error saying it is still waiting for the root device. If I wait, the line keeps generating itself.

I took a photo of my screen where the error pops up, maybe someone could look and see if anything stands out to you?

post-484928-1265670900_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Randy