[ PRE-INSTALL AUTOMATOR v1.1 ] for easily installing vanilla snow leo.

dj nitehawk

281 posts in this topic

Hi, I have looked at lots of threads on this topic and this looks to be the most successful/user friendly by far. Wife permitting I am planning on making an attempt tonight, but wondered if what I have is OK to start:

As a side note I am currently running 10.5.8 with everything except shutdown/sleep working as my sole OS. (Splendid)

I have a Dell XPS M1530, Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHZ. 3GB 667MHz DDR2 and Nvidia 8600M GT.

I have a spare SATA laptop drive I have borrowed to test this on as I don't want to trash my lovely leopard installation just yet.

Unfortunately I am 2 weeks into using OSX so as noobs go I am the noob of all noobs!!! (I am a windows (ergh) software developer so not clueless completely)

So once setting up my external drive with SL, using script to make my life easy and installing the replacement HDD am I good to go?

Thanks for any help/direction

Well that sounds ok to start but you must know that you might have to change stuff in your bios.

On my DG31pr I had to install the script then install SL and then I had to change my Bios.

So don't be afraid when you try this that it doesn't work the first time cause something in your BIOS may screw it up.

But for your nvidia graphics make sure you read what this guide says about nvidia. At first i screwed up on that but have it working now since i read the guide more carefully.

yep u can run the script from anywhere... what matters is the selection of the correct target...

lets see if installing the bootloader + dsdt.aml on to ur internal drive helps in the sata+ide issue as well...

I am able to use chameleon and boot to my SL but I still get KP at the end of Shutdown process (I have to manually restart the system.

I also tried changing few settings in Bios and have got some success. I changed SATA drive mode from AHCI to IDE, and now the system boots to SL quickly. However it does not show my SATA drives anymore, which includes my SATA DVD drive.

I am still unable to fix issues with my PS2 mouse and Atheros 5007 wifi (currently using wired connection). Any help will be appreciated.

You said you used voodoohda.kext for Audio in our DG33FB mobo, did you check if the Mic is working, coz it doesn't work for me. If yes, which kext did you use?

dj_nitehawk, I know it must be tiring for you to resolve so many people problem. You are doing a great job.

Thank you

APJ

I am able to use chameleon and boot to my SL but I still get KP at the end of Shutdown process (I have to manually restart the system.

I also tried changing few settings in Bios and have got some success. I changed SATA drive mode from AHCI to IDE, and now the system boots to SL quickly. However it does not show my SATA drives anymore, which includes my SATA DVD drive.

I am still unable to fix issues with my PS2 mouse and Atheros 5007 wifi (currently using wired connection). Any help will be appreciated.

You said you used voodoohda.kext for Audio in our DG33FB mobo, did you check if the Mic is working, coz it doesn't work for me. If yes, which kext did you use?

dj_nitehawk, I know it must be tiring for you to resolve so many people problem. You are doing a great job.

Thank you

APJ

First of all, changing the AHCI to IDE makes it so you cant see your SATA drives like what your problem is.

I dont know if you looked or not but in the snow installer.zip there is a ps2.kext that should help with your ps2 problem.

For audio it depends, on my DG31PR i used AppleHDA.kext and it works beautifully because with voodoo i got one line out channel but i have 2 and i have 3 inputs but only got one and that one didnt even work.

By the way Dj nite hawk im not a pro but im definitely not a noob so i will try to help you with some of these problems if thats ok with you lol.

Anyway for that wifi problem i would suggest looking it up at osx86 wiki and see if you can find it there!

DG31PR

2GB Memory

2.20 ghz Intel

8600 Gt NVIDIA

Well that sounds ok to start but you must know that you might have to change stuff in your bios.

On my DG31pr I had to install the script then install SL and then I had to change my Bios.

So don't be afraid when you try this that it doesn't work the first time cause something in your BIOS may screw it up.

But for your nvidia graphics make sure you read what this guide says about nvidia. At first i screwed up on that but have it working now since i read the guide more carefully.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I'll update the Bios as mentioned at the start.

Re the nVidia, I am currently just using the nvinject that I selected durint iAktos v7 (Told you I am a noob). The guide mentions that Chameleon detects the card automatically, is there something in a post in this thread that mentions something else I need to do? This is all rather scary to me, hence the test HDD!

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I'll update the Bios as mentioned at the start.

Re the nVidia, I am currently just using the nvinject that I selected durint iAktos v7 (Told you I am a noob). The guide mentions that Chameleon detects the card automatically, is there something in a post in this thread that mentions something else I need to do? This is all rather scary to me, hence the test HDD!

If you look at the guide at the very begining dj has a link to a guide about nvidia cards.

Basically the problem however is that chameleon CANNOT detect nvidia cards. So you have to go under your .com.apple.plst and modify where it says:

Graphics enabler=yes put no instead and then nvinject will kick in and your card will work right.

Like all noobs they dont read all of the material jk

If you look at the guide at the very begining dj has a link to a guide about nvidia cards.

Basically the problem however is that chameleon CANNOT detect nvidia cards. So you have to go under your .com.apple.plst and modify where it says:

Graphics enabler=yes put no instead and then nvinject will kick in and your card will work right.

Like all noobs they dont read all of the material jk

Whilst I am a total noob I did read this and I understood this change to be for non-nvidia???

Note for non-nVidia graphics card users:

If your graphics card is not nVidia, chameleon's auto graphics detection will not work. Before doing anything, please edit the file "desktop/snow-installer/filez/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist" and change the "Yes" to "No" where it says:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Then you will have to take whatever measure necessary to add the proper graphics card support by using EFI strings, injectors/enablers, custom kexts, etc. Just search the web/forums for help with that...

Like all noobs I am totally confused!

Whilst I am a total noob I did read this and I understood this change to be for non-nvidia???

Like all noobs I am totally confused!

Ok there is a install.zip which makes your Snow Leopard Hard Drive bootable (MAKE SURE ITS GUILD PARTITIONED).

The install.zip is at this link

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=56494

So in this there is a folder called filez so click on that then theres extra then theres .com.apple.plst

Open that file and where it says Graphics Enabler=Yes change it to "No"

Then install the zip onto your Snow Leopard HD and install Snow Leopard itself from the Retail disc or on a Seperate Hard drive or another hard drive partition.

Then restart and Be happy you have a Successful upgrade except for a couple of kexts you need to install like video, audio and such!

from what i've read, the latest version of fassl's dsdt patcher found here came out before snow did and this cmos reset problem was introduced by snow...

that page doesnt mention anything regarding to the cmos bug... and ive briefly looked at the source code and it doesnt seem to know about the cmos reset problem... it just fixes the RTC,HPET, etc... (if im not mistaken)

i think what u r noticing is, some mobo's do not have that problem... even my dg33fb doesnt have that problem... i looked at my raw dsdt and there's no problem there...

but then again... i might be wrong... someone correct me if i am...

I just read somewhere you where suposed to change from 4 to 2 in a line in there and when I looked in mine it was already changed. Anyway I use the dsdt patcher from your package and it seems it does make my computer shut down, it takes a minute or so but it shuts down.

Before I found out a way to install that I thought was the easiest for me personally I tried other methods and I had these cmos resets all the time.

(I install from a restored SL with Leo or use a 132 boot disk. Works ok too, really easy with my gear GA EP45-DS3, Q6600)

First of all, changing the AHCI to IDE makes it so you cant see your SATA drives like what your problem is.

I did not get the drive even when the bios was configured as AHCI and moreover the system took around 10 min to get to the desktop. When I boot my system to Windows 7 (which is on my SATA drive) I see all the drives no matter if the setting is in AHCI or IDE.

I dont know if you looked or not but in the snow installer.zip there is a ps2.kext that should help with your ps2 problem.

I have tried installing both the kexts but it did not help. However I tried extracting kexts from iDeneb's leopard installation disk which worked for my Keyboard and Mouse earlier, tell you what it did work but as soon as I rebooted the system after installing Atheros kexts it stops working. I am totally confused and am trying to figure it out.

For audio it depends, on my DG31PR i used AppleHDA.kext and it works beautifully because with voodoo i got one line out channel but i have 2 and i have 3 inputs but only got one and that one didnt even work.

DG31PR has a different audio chipset i guess, DG33FB seems to differ on this. Although this also has 3 ports. I will try AppleHDA.kext once again.

By the way Dj nite hawk im not a pro but im definitely not a noob so i will try to help you with some of these problems if thats ok with you lol.

Pro and noob, both contribute and everyone helping is always welcome. Thank you for helping out here.

Anyway for that wifi problem i would suggest looking it up at osx86 wiki and see if you can find it there!

Am yet to find the one which works, as few older once did not load properly.

Thanks once again,

APJ

Ok, so I have got as far as getting to Chameleon starting the install but it bombs on the installation with the nano seconds error like others have got.

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled...

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x2a6ac2): Kernal ....

Then a nano second message.

My laptop is a Dell M1530 as mentioned above.

I added the moded AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into the exttra\extensions folder and once it got one line further saying:

com.apple.appleFSCompressionTypeZlib load successful after the uptime nanoseconds

then when i did an ignore cache it added after that:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: Ready

But everytime since it still dies with the uptime message and everytime as explained I get the panic just under the AppleIntelPIIXPATA line????

I did read about replacing this file in system/somewhere on the dvd installation but where is this?

Thanks for any help

Been on this about 4 hours now trying every kext I can find for the AppleIntelPIIXATA, but everytime it bombs with the same issue.

lack of a secondary PCI IDE channel

Can anyone offer any help please?

I'm not sure what you are talking about because I thought you said you had SATA? Because IDE on some boards won't work depending on the board at all no matter what kext you have.

I would suggest using SATA but if you can't then let me know!

But when that comes up that second IDE channel you can't use because it's made for floppy drives. In which hackintoshes don't like awhole lot!

owe {censored}!!!

looks like insanely forgot to send me an email notification and now there's a whole bunch of new posts i've missed!!!

shame on u insanely... :-)

anyways, lets see what we have...

hi hack24...

thanks for helping out while i was absent... really appreciate it...

owe {censored}!!!

looks like insanely forgot to send me an email notification and now there's a whole bunch of new posts i've missed!!!

shame on u insanely... :-)

anyways, lets see what we have...

hi hack24...

thanks for helping out while i was absent... really appreciate it...

no problem dj I'm glad to help and also the last thing we were talking about was the fact that Antonio wants to know why he can't see his drives on IDE but he said his computer can't see them on his secondary IDE channel but I told him that channel is for floppy drives and such right?

Also he changed his bios from ahci to IDE.

Been on this about 4 hours now trying every kext I can find for the AppleIntelPIIXATA, but everytime it bombs with the same issue.

lack of a secondary PCI IDE channel

Can anyone offer any help please?

there's a couple of reasons why ur installer wont boot and give u a KP about secondary pci ide channel...

even though you've added the patched appleintelpiixata.kext to /extra/extensions, you havent deleted the stock version from /system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/content/plugins/appleintelpiixata.kext and due to the existence of the stock version, the patched version gets ignored...

to fix that, just delete the stock version... make sure that u delete it from all snow leo locations... ie: the external installer and the ultimate snow leo installed target... u will have to go into ur old leo installation and get it to show all hidden files as the installer (restored install dvd) has these folders hidden...

after deleting the stock kext from all locations, make sure u have added the patched version from netkas to /extra/extensions of all locations...

if doing the above doesnt fix it, ur hdd controller may not be made by intel and the patched appleintelpiixata.kext wont work... download dpci manager and post a screenshot of it and we'll take it from there...

another tip for ya:

if u wanna leave ur old leo install untouched, u can just create two GUID partitions on ur external test drive... one for testing snow leo (ultimate installed target) and one for the restored installer dvd (intermediate installer)...

and then when u are 100% satisfied with ur test snow leo, u can wipe ur old leo and install it to ur internal drive...

PS: dont forget to set ur bios hdd config to SATA and AHCI (even though it is complaining about a secondary ide channel)... actually try both... if sata-achi doesnt work, try other settings...

ive only had the chance to test a dell d630 and AHCI + the patched appleintelpiixata.kext works...

I did not get the drive even when the bios was configured as AHCI and moreover the system took around 10 min to get to the desktop. When I boot my system to Windows 7 (which is on my SATA drive) I see all the drives no matter if the setting is in AHCI or IDE.

well it seems like sata and ide dont mix well together on dg33fb and snow...

I have tried installing both the kexts but it did not help. However I tried extracting kexts from iDeneb's leopard installation disk which worked for my Keyboard and Mouse earlier, tell you what it did work but as soon as I rebooted the system after installing Atheros kexts it stops working. I am totally confused and am trying to figure it out.

what atheros kext are u using? not the stock kext? what is the manufacturer id and device id of ur wifi card? if it's a usb wifi dongle it's going to be even harder to get it working...

DG31PR has a different audio chipset i guess, DG33FB seems to differ on this. Although this also has 3 ports. I will try AppleHDA.kext once again.

and for ur audio problem.... voodoohda not giving mic input... its working for me after doing the following:

install the voodoohda preference pane... open pref pane... click on the dropdown list box and click headphones... then increase both mic and recording level sliders....

ive only tested the mic input on my front panel... so play around with the pref pane....

oh and the pref pane settings get reset on reboot... there was a solution for that somewhere... have a search....

we've dealt with this problem before in this thread... if u go through the posts you'll see a fully detailed explanation.... but here's the summarized solution:

delete "/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/content/plugins/appleintelpiixata.kext"

download the patched appleintelpiixata.kext from netkas and place it in "/extra/extensions"

do the above to both locations... ie: usb installer drive + installed internal drive

You Rock Man..!

Finally, it works on my DELL INSPIRON 1520.

I didn't install patched appleintelpiixata.kext , just removed from both places. btw, What does this kext do??

You Rock Man..!

Finally, it works on my DELL INSPIRON 1520.

I didn't install patched appleintelpiixata.kext , just removed from both places. btw, What does this kext do??

nice!!!

that kext is for ide drives/controllers... if ur system does not have any ide drives, it is ok to remove it... but people who have ide dvd drives should use the patched kext...

what atheros kext are u using? not the stock kext? what is the manufacturer id and device id of ur wifi card? if it's a usb wifi dongle it's going to be even harder to get it working...

I checked my system info once again in my Windows and found what the problem is. The pci wireless card has Atheros 5005G chipset whereas I installed kexts for Atheros 5007G.

and for ur audio problem.... voodoohda not giving mic input... its working for me after doing the following:

install the voodoohda preference pane... open pref pane... click on the dropdown list box and click headphones... then increase both mic and recording level sliders....

ive only tested the mic input on my front panel... so play around with the pref pane....

oh and the pref pane settings get reset on reboot... there was a solution for that somewhere... have a search....

It did work man  :( just a slide of the Recording level did the trick. Thanks a billion.

Well that leaves me with 2 more issues:

1) PS2 mouse won't work.

2) DVD drive does not get detected.

I am not sure about this but dj_nitehawk did you notice that our Mobo runs a little hotter in SL than in Windows or the older Leopard for that matter. Did you do any changes for this?

Cheers  :angry:

APJ

Edit: Changing SATA mode from AHCI to IDE only emulates the SATA drives as IDE. Is it not correct. If so then SL should detect my SATA DVD drive, isn't it?

I checked my system info once again in my Windows and found what the problem is. The pci wireless card has Atheros 5005G chipset whereas I installed kexts for Atheros 5007G.

It did work man :) just a slide of the Recording level did the trick. Thanks a billion.

Well that leaves me with 2 more issues:

1) PS2 mouse won't work.

2) DVD drive does not get detected.

I am not sure about this but dj_nitehawk did you notice that our Mobo runs a little hotter in SL than in Windows or the older Leopard for that matter. Did you do any changes for this?

Cheers ^_^

APJ

Edit: Changing SATA mode from AHCI to IDE only emulates the SATA drives as IDE. Is it not correct. If so then SL should detect my SATA DVD drive, isn't it?

well the included ps2 kexts should have worked... my combination is different from urs though... im using ps2 keyboard + usb mouse... u might have to find a kext that works for ps2 mouse...

is ur dvd drive ide or sata? if ide, it might not be detected if you deleted the whole ioatafamily.kext rather than just deleting appleintelpiixata.kext and adding the patched one...

if sata, have u tried setting bios to native-sata-ahci? but doing that disables ur ide hdd aye?

dunno dude, u should really invest in a new sata drive for ur snow or figure out a way to dualboot win7 and snow from ur sata drive... hey does win7 not detect GUID partitions? and does snow not support MBR partitions?

has anyone tried installing snow on an MBR partition with my method? does it work?

and yes ive noticed the hotter cpu's in snow... but ive been running my snow ever since it came out at a 25 degrees room temperature doing all sorts of cpu intensive stuff and my cpu's havent even come close to the limits of overheating...

you can get it to run a few degrees cooler by adding the nullcpupm kext but ive personally had issues with my sleep/resume when using it, so i dont use it...

I messed it up royally. When I rebooted the system back to my SL I found that the Keyboard was not working. I had to restart the system once again, this time SL booted till the login screen but it kept on entering some text in the password field. I checked the keyboard if any key was accidentally pressed but it wasn't. I restart again and again and again, each time I found that the apple kext for ps2 loaded differently with different kind of message following it. I even started getting KPs while booting. Then I decided to reinstall SL again, After reinstalling I am on my desktop with Keyboard, Ethernet and Audio working. I still do not have Wifi, ps2 mouse or DVD drive working.

well the included ps2 kexts should have worked... my combination is different from urs though... im using ps2 keyboard + usb mouse... u might have to find a kext that works for ps2 mouse...

That is exactly what I did and messed up my system. I am still looking for the one which will work for me.

is ur dvd drive ide or sata? if ide, it might not be detected if you deleted the whole ioatafamily.kext rather than just deleting appleintelpiixata.kext and adding the patched one...

if sata, have u tried setting bios to native-sata-ahci? but doing that disables ur ide hdd aye?

My dvd drive is SATA and when I configure my bios to AHCI the system does boot but it takes a lot of time to boot to the desktop (no KPs only delay). i am not sure if I deleted the ioatafamily.kext or just appleintelpiixata.kext, is there any way to confirm this?

dunno dude, u should really invest in a new sata drive for ur snow or figure out a way to dualboot win7 and snow from ur sata drive... hey does win7 not detect GUID partitions? and does snow not support MBR partitions?

I am sure Win7 can detect GUID partitions, it really doesn't matter if I don't see my SATA drive inside SL or vise versa, I can live with it :)

and yes ive noticed the hotter cpu's in snow... but ive been running my snow ever since it came out at a 25 degrees room temperature doing all sorts of cpu intensive stuff and my cpu's havent even come close to the limits of overheating...

you can get it to run a few degrees cooler by adding the nullcpupm kext but ive personally had issues with my sleep/resume when using it, so i dont use it...

I haven't really tried running anything processor intensive so I will do that and see first, and I will try nullcpupm kext after taking care of the rest.

Thanks once again,

APJ

nice!!!

that kext is for ide drives/controllers... if ur system does not have any ide drives, it is ok to remove it... but people who have ide dvd drives should use the patched kext...

I HAVE ONE QUESTION:

Whenever i start my laptop, before opening SL, on boot screen it shows me loading text(same as it comes while installing). It doesn't show me apple logo screen with loading icon, How can i get that screen instead of those text.

I HAVE ONE QUESTION:

Whenever i start my laptop, before opening SL, on boot screen it shows me loading text(same as it comes while installing). It doesn't show me apple logo screen with loading icon, How can i get that screen instead of those text.

edit "/extra/com.apple.boot.plist" and delete "-v"

there's a couple of reasons why ur installer wont boot and give u a KP about secondary pci ide channel...

even though you've added the patched appleintelpiixata.kext to /extra/extensions, you havent deleted the stock version from /system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext/content/plugins/appleintelpiixata.kext and due to the existence of the stock version, the patched version gets ignored...

to fix that, just delete the stock version... make sure that u delete it from all snow leo locations... ie: the external installer and the ultimate snow leo installed target... u will have to go into ur old leo installation and get it to show all hidden files as the installer (restored install dvd) has these folders hidden...

after deleting the stock kext from all locations, make sure u have added the patched version from netkas to /extra/extensions of all locations...

Firstly, thank you so much NightHawk and Hack24!!!!

So where am I now?

After unhiding files in OSX I was then able to trash the kext file and give the install another go. This did not work. I then trashed the kext that had been added to the extras folder and the installer had a whole new panic to tell me about! I was most happy at seeing this this morning as all last night I had the same panic for about 4 hours or more!

So the new panic I received was the HPET error in regard to an incorrectly configured CPU. I remembered you helped someone else with this so I tried the ForceHPET=Yes. This did not work. So I tried adding nullcpupowermanagement.kext to /extra/extensions and now it boots into the installation screen!!!!!!!!

After a little dance around my living room I discovered the keyboard works, but I have no trackpad. I tried replacing the VoodooPS2 kext inclueded with the one in my Leo install but this did not work either?

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

Firstly, thank you so much NightHawk and Hack24!!!!

So where am I now?

After unhiding files in OSX I was then able to trash the kext file and give the install another go. This did not work. I then trashed the kext that had been added to the extras folder and the installer had a whole new panic to tell me about! I was most happy at seeing this this morning as all last night I had the same panic for about 4 hours or more!

So the new panic I received was the HPET error in regard to an incorrectly configured CPU. I remembered you helped someone else with this so I tried the ForceHPET=Yes. This did not work. So I tried adding nullcpupowermanagement.kext to /extra/extensions and now it boots into the installation screen!!!!!!!!

After a little dance around my living room I discovered the keyboard works, but I have no trackpad. I tried replacing the VoodooPS2 kext inclueded with the one in my Leo install but this did not work either?

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

good to hear and u r welcome...

i have no idea about the trackpad thing as i dont have one... try scouring the net for a kext that works with ur trackpad...