10.6.1 is out!

Opes

47 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the update did not go well for me!

After reading all of the successful update reports, I updated from Software Update. The install went fine, automatic reboot happened, and the login screen came up... briefly. Then a pale blue screen appeared with a small grey spinner, along with some disk activity for a second or two. After a brief pause, the screen goes back to solid blue, darkened and lightened fairly quickly, and the spinner reappeared. I let it stay in the loop for a few minutes before I gave up and did a hard restart. Same thing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for debugging?

For install I followed d00m42's guide for the GA EP45-UD3R, even though I have a GA P35-DS3R board, and it seemed really solid. Then I had to get cocky and install 10.6.1...

Help!

Unfortunately the update did not go well for me!

After reading all of the successful update reports, I updated from Software Update. The install went fine, automatic reboot happened, and the login screen came up... briefly. Then a pale blue screen appeared with a small grey spinner, along with some disk activity for a second or two. After a brief pause, the screen goes back to solid blue, darkened and lightened fairly quickly, and the spinner reappeared. I let it stay in the loop for a few minutes before I gave up and did a hard restart. Same thing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for debugging?

For install I followed d00m42's guide for the GA EP45-UD3R, even though I have a GA P35-DS3R board, and it seemed really solid. Then I had to get cocky and install 10.6.1...

Help!

I have a smilar problem, are you using a custom home folder location?

Real world tests show OGL performance in 10.6 is slower. Don't know if 6.1 improves it, but it contains new video drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...marks&num=4

Updated smoothly without a hitch. Tried OpenGL Extension Viewer test and significant improvement noticed in the test results.

Example,

Test old/new FPS

2.0 1331/3002

2.1 51/90

old/new = 10.6.0/10.6.1

-vince

I'm waiting for 10.6.2 ;) 10.5.8 is pretty good for me. OpenGL performance is the biggest bug in 10.6.x

I hear that Maya 2009 is unusable due to OpenGL, not to mention the games (Sims3, Wow).

10.6 has been the biggest failure I ever see, I will just wait until 10.6.5 is released. Maybe by that time, SL will be usable.

10.6 has been the biggest failure I ever see, I will just wait until 10.6.5 is released. Maybe by that time, SL will be usable.

So you've seen nothing then? :)

Snow Leopard is a success in the following ways:

- It's faster on the same hardware

- It's compatible with 99.9% of apps, despite MASSIVE changes in the backend

- It leverages two entirely new APIs that will make multicore and GPU-assisted computing scream on the Mac platform

So far as 'usable' goes, SL is more usable than Leopard for me, because it does all the same things, but better.

The update went fine, BTW, and I am noticing a marked improvement in OpenGL performance.

I tried to update via Software Update, the uptade was only 9 Mb in size, I got some unexpected error warning, unable to update, then I restarted, downloaded a generic 10.6.1 update from apple website 70+Mb in size, and update went fine

(my SL install method was booting through a USB Chameleon rc2 with 10.1 PCEFI, and installed from a SL retail HD partition - GA-ep35ds3r, Nvidia 8600GT)

On my ud3p tried updating through software update but that led to a kernel panic when it tried to optimize. Rebooted. Checked about this mac and still said 10.6. Downloaded the 10.6.1 update from apple and installed the package directly and had no kernel panics...now running 10.6.1...