[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

I would really like to run 64bit but not sure if many users have successfully installed a stable 64bit system. If so "please describe how" what BIOS settings and Kexts you are using would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running stable in 64 bit kernel. Nothing out of the ordinary in the BIOS (Obviously AHCI enabled).

If you send it to sleep, it immediately powers up again, but I'm not bothered as I always disable sleep anyway.

Other than that, I just used to default kexts with the script. The only thing that doesn't work in 64 bit is the sound card, but I'm not using onboard anyway. I'm using a M-Audio 5.1 revolution. I found a 64 bit installer for that (linked in a previous post) and it sounds way better than the onboard.

If you really want to run 64 bit, I'd recommend getting a cheap dedicated sound card that you know will work.

Steve,

Thanks for your help. You pointing me in the right direction has enabled me to have a successful install :) I changed the kext installation to S/L/E and it worked. I then proceeded to load all my apps ( feeling quite good about myself :P ) only to later realize that I was booting in 32 bit mode. I then proceeded to tinker w/ my install until I broke it completely. Could never boot into 64bit mode. I removed the -32 flag from the boot.plist in extra but had many problems with fake SMC and finally did a full clean install and Im currently running it 32bit.

I would really like to run 64bit but not sure if many users have successfully installed a stable 64bit system. If so "please describe how" what BIOS settings and Kexts you are using would be greatly appreciated.

until then I will have to do with the SL 32 bit upgrade. Hoping the jump to 64bit will be smooth and painless. Although I doubt it. Thanks for your help Steve- it made all the difference.

I don't think 64 bit is really a big deal, I can get it it working but for the extra effort you get about a 5% performance boost at best on your graphics and bench marks. The 32 bit only applies to the kernel, your apps can run 64 bit in 32

kernel mode.

I genrally use 32 bit mode, I get dual ethernet connections running 1Gb duplex into a TimeCapsule for backups, Java

setup if you do any programming in tricky to set up for 64 bit JVM, sleep does seem to work better in 64 bit for some reason though?

Personally until SL matures I wouldn't worry, nice to do it just for the hell of it though. I did it and went back to 32 bit.

Lan connections are tricky in 64 bit. I had a borrowed Realtek compilation from another poster who managed to get 1 ethernet port working in 64 bit. I did download the source and do some tinkering but I thing the way that 64 bit works means that the method for obtaining MAC addresses doesn't work in 64 bit mode. I think Apple suggest a different method and in any case the existing code really needs re-editing (IMHO - long is different in 32 bit and 64 bit!). I did make a start on rewriting based on Apples own opensource but I have half a million other things to do as well so by the time I finish others will have already done it

If you have 32 bit working you are doing as well as most and not missing too much, but feel free to ask if youve broken something. All the answers are in this thread ;)

Steve

I don't think 64 bit is really a big deal, I can get it it working but for the extra effort you get about a 5% performance boost at best on your graphics and bench marks. The 32 bit only applies to the kernel, your apps can run 64 bit in 32

kernel mode.

I genrally use 32 bit mode, I get dual ethernet connections running 1Gb duplex into a TimeCapsule for backups, Java

setup if you do any programming in tricky to set up for 64 bit JVM, sleep does seem to work better in 64 bit for some reason though?

Personally until SL matures I wouldn't worry, nice to do it just for the hell of it though. I did it and went back to 32 bit.

Lan connections are tricky in 64 bit. I had a borrowed Realtek compilation from another poster who managed to get 1 ethernet port working in 64 bit. I did download the source and do some tinkering but I thing the way that 64 bit works means that the method for obtaining MAC addresses doesn't work in 64 bit mode. I think Apple suggest a different method and in any case the existing code really needs re-editing (IMHO - long is different in 32 bit and 64 bit!). I did make a start on rewriting based on Apples own opensource but I have half a million other things to do as well so by the time I finish others will have already done it

If you have 32 bit working you are doing as well as most and not missing too much, but feel free to ask if youve broken something. All the answers are in this thread :rolleyes:

Steve

Agreed. I think of 64bit kernel as an interesting exercise. I have a rock solid 32bit install. and even if i could get 64bit kernel working i'd then have the problem of getting drivers for my 3d navigator controller and my CME midi keyboard.

Jon

kernel mode.

If you have 32 bit working you are doing as well as most and not missing too much, but feel free to ask if youve broken something. All the answers are in this thread :(

Steve

Steve and others thanks for your help. I really thought the 64bit would have a bigger performance boost. I work on large RAW files and HD video and was hoping Photoshop could address some more of my memory. The 32 bit install seems very good. Have been working on it most of the weekend installing apps etc. I still want to try 64bit if only to be done with it already. But I do have a sizable printer that is on my network that I need to connect to. That may be my one problem. I would gladly get a sound card if needed but it seems like I might be opening a can of worms right now that is better left closed :( thanks all for the sage advice.

Steve and others thanks for your help. I really thought the 64bit would have a bigger performance boost. I work on large RAW files and HD video and was hoping Photoshop could address some more of my memory. The 32 bit install seems very good. Have been working on it most of the weekend installing apps etc. I still want to try 64bit if only to be done with it already. But I do have a sizable printer that is on my network that I need to connect to. That may be my one problem. I would gladly get a sound card if needed but it seems like I might be opening a can of worms right now that is better left closed :( thanks all for the sage advice.

You'll get quite a big performance boost overclocking to 3.4/3.6 Ghz (with third party cooler). I get boot at 4 GHz but

it fails during OS X loading. My benchmarks went up by about 50% at 3.8GHz. Most of the time I stick at 2.6 Ghz since it's fast enough for what I want. Apparently 3.6GHz is optimum performance/power usage (according to well known hardware site)

I thought only the latest 64 bit PS has support for > 4GB RAM, if you have it then I think it should work in 32 bit kernel mode ? I have 12gb ram, it does slow you down a bit (in relation to 6gb). I had to work pretty hard to get 6gb to be used.

steve

I was changing my DSDT to get a stripped down version with only the modifications that really mattered, and I found that I got a KP after wake if the HPET device wasn't fixed.

If you use fassl's latest DSDT Patcher (version 1.0.1e) it will claim to fix HPET, but the changes it makes doesn't cause AppleHPET.kext to load on GA-EX58, even with -newHPET;

Patching HPET...

HPET Device found : Device (HPET)

IRQ's written to HPET

HPET patched

Here's the original HPET;

Device (HPET)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
                   Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {0}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
                       Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
                           0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                           0x00000400,         // Address Length
                           )
                   })
                   Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                   })
                   Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       If (LGreaterEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
                       {
                           If (HPTF)
                           {
                               Return (0x0F)
                           }
                           Else
                           {
                               Return (0x00)
                           }
                       }
                       Else
                       {
                           Return (0x00)
                       }
                   }

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       If (LGreaterEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
                       {
                           If (HPTF)
                           {
                               Return (ATT3)
                           }
                           Else
                           {
                               Return (ATT4)
                           }
                       }
                       Else
                       {
                           Return (ATT4)
                       }
                   }
               }

Modified so that AppleHPET.kext loads;

Device (HPET)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
                   Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {0}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
                       Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
                           0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                           0x00000400,         // Address Length
                           )
                   })
                   Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                   })
                   Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Return (0x0F)
                   }

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Return (ATT3)
                   }
               }

Also, fix DSDT so that AppleLPC.kext loads.

This is needed for the `Start up automatically after a power failure' option to appear in Energy Saver, and this must be checked or sleep will shut the computer down instead.

From running `OSX86 Tools Utility:View PCI Device/Vendor ID' before the DSDT change;

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface Controller [8086:3a16]

The device-id should be one that's already in AppleLPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist (<string>pci8086,3a18</string>).

original;

Device (PX40)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
               OperationRegion (PREV, PCI_Config, 0x08, 0x01)
               Scope (\)

modified;

Device (PX40)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id",
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
               Scope (\)

You'll get quite a big performance boost overclocking to 3.4/3.6 Ghz (with third party cooler). I get boot at 4 GHz but

it fails during OS X loading. My benchmarks went up by about 50% at 3.8GHz. Most of the time I stick at 2.6 Ghz since it's fast enough for what I want. Apparently 3.6GHz is optimum performance/power usage (according to well known hardware site)

I thought only the latest 64 bit PS has support for > 4GB RAM, if you have it then I think it should work in 32 bit kernel mode ? I have 12gb ram, it does slow you down a bit (in relation to 6gb). I had to work pretty hard to get 6gb to be used.

steve

I guess I will be trying to OC my rig soon. I want to really optimize it the best I can. 50% better benchmarks I could live with! :) I was checking some 32 vs 64 bit SL benchmarks on Geekbench and the performance boost was very narrow/minimal.

OC is the way to go I guess. Thanks for the sound advice.

~marcoANTONIO

My setup works fine in 64bit mode but, in 32bit mode S3 sleep breaks after installing all my pro applications (CS4 etc....).

Do you have any pro apps which installed additional extensions to your system ?

Can you list your configuration and post your DSDT, boot.plist and smbios.plist for 10.6.1 with working S3 sleep ?

Thank you.

Hi Emilio,

I dont think I have any pro apps which installed additional extensions. I have always had sleep working with DD's script, both in Leopard and SL. It works as well in 64 bit mode. I dont use 64 bit because for some reaosn my net connections keeps breaking and flash CS4 acts weird when loading.

What do you mean by configuration, are you refering to kexts and method of install? Tell me exactly what it is you want me to list.

Cheers

Check out this diskimage: http://www.kexts.com/view/134-gigabyte_ga-..._usb__v3.0.html

For Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 (tested on 10.6.1)

It features:

- Completely 64-bit!

- Lan works in 64-bit (Credits: Bit Shoveler)

- Sound works via DSDT (Credits: Aschar)

- CPU temp sensor works (Credits: oldnapalm)

- Firewire

- Slow sata fix (Credits: THe KiNG)

Sleep doesn't work :)

Use DiskUtility to restore to a USB stick

Would you happen to have some more info on installing SL with this file? Do I just follow DD's method and then switch out the "Extra" folder?

Thank you,

JA

Hi Emilio,

What do you mean by configuration, are you refering to kexts and method of install? Tell me exactly what it is you want me to list.

Cheers

Would you create complete setup info page with link to it in your signature, similar to what I did in Post #661?

Would you happen to have some more info on installing SL with this file? Do I just follow DD's method and then switch out the "Extra" folder?

Thank you,

JA

You will need to have a working (Snow) Leopard to restore this image to an USB stick (via DiskUtility). After that you need to install boot0 and boot1h (get it from Chameleon RC3, see readme doc how to install boot0 and boot1h) and you're done.

I guess I will be trying to OC my rig soon. I want to really optimize it the best I can. 50% better benchmarks I could live with! :D I was checking some 32 vs 64 bit SL benchmarks on Geekbench and the performance boost was very narrow/minimal.

OC is the way to go I guess. Thanks for the sound advice.

~marcoANTONIO

I was poking around on the internet and found this

http://www.kexts.com/view/133-realtek_r100...4_bit!.html

Works for me in 64 bit and 32 bit mode as a replacement for Realtek1000.kext - both LAN ports work

Also this works

http://www.kexts.com/view/136-evoreboot,_r...w_leopard..html

Another funny thing, with Magic Mouse my install stopped sleeping. Booting in 64 bit allows sleep to almost work. There are issues to resolve but I think they are resolvable. Booting back in 32 mode subsequently exhibits the same behaviour

steve

It is for me, strangely I've never had a problem with bonjour

steve

Lol strangely enough I have always had problems with it until a few days ago. It doesnt work in 64 bit mode at the moment so I will take ya word for it and give the kext a try :D

Lol strangely enough I have always had problems with it until a few days ago. It doesnt work in 64 bit mode at the moment so I will take ya word for it and give the kext a try :)

I'm running in 64 bit mode at the moment.. no need to take my word for it - see the pic :P

By the way in case anyone is having trouble with sleep or magic mouse see my other posts

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1317856

regards

Steve

I'm running in 64 bit mode at the moment.. no need to take my word for it - see the pic ;)

By the way in case anyone is having trouble with sleep or magic mouse see my other posts

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1317856

regards

Steve

RealtekR1000SL.kext you posted works like a charm.

It is the same kext AROBASEFR describes in Post #823

Thank you.

What are your CPU temperatures after removing NullCPUManagement.kext ?

On my comp they increased 12C on average.

Would you create complete setup info page with link to it in your signature, similar to what I did in Post #661?

I havent forgotten about your request Emilo, will post the install process and other stuff when I get home, still at work

I havent forgotten about your request Emilo, will post the install process and other stuff when I get home, still at work

Thanks,

It would benefit us all, if everyone with solid install could post their complete setup and update that post with new fixes they discover.

Also, fix DSDT so that AppleLPC.kext loads.

This is needed for the `Start up automatically after a power failure' option to appear in Energy Saver, and this must be checked or sleep will shut the computer down instead.

From running `OSX86 Tools Utility:View PCI Device/Vendor ID' before the DSDT change;

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface Controller [8086:3a16]

The device-id should be one that's already in AppleLPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist (<string>pci8086,3a18</string>).

original;

Device (PX40)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
               Scope (\)

modified;

Device (PX40)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id",
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
               Scope (\)

Awsome !!!

d00d, you absolutely rock !!!

Your PX40 DSDT fix made my "USB Device Eject Error" message to go away.

Now the only thing separating me from Nirvana is to fix my S3 sleep in 32 bit mode.

Thank you for sharing.

I updated original Post #661 to reflect new fixes.

RealtekR1000SL.kext you posted works like a charm. Thank you.

What are your CPU temperatures after removing NullCPUManagement.kext ?

On my comp they increased 12C on average.

I'm not 100% sure I believe the temperature readings on the OS X tools. It tells me that my hard disk is 30C, but its outside the case next to me using the extender cables and it is very cool to the touch (it was 40C at one stage!)

Are you using the Temperature Monitor App? For some reason it's not showing me cpu temps in 64 bit

Mind you don't really mind as I only got to about 71C in the past running prime95 overclocked, with a decent cooler I'm

still running below stock temps.

steve

I'm not 100% sure I believe the temperature readings on the OS X tools. It tells me that my hard disk is 30C, but its outside the case next to me using the extender cables and it is very cool to the touch (it was 40C at one stage!)

Are you using the Temperature Monitor App? For some reason it's not showing me cpu temps in 64 bit

Mind you don't really mind as I only got to about 71C in the past running prime95 overclocked, with a decent cooler I'm

still running below stock temps.

steve

I use latest Hardware Monitor v4.8 in both 32 and 64 mode without any issues.

My Core i7 920 CPU (D0 stepping) is overclocked to 4.1GHz with Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme cooler.

Core voltage: 1.336V, CPU PLL: 1.88V, QPI/VTT: 1.34V, Dram Voltage: 1.6V

All power saving features are disabled in BIOS.

With NullCPUPowerManagement.kext present, my temps at idle are 42-45 and 62-65 with full load.

After removing above kext I am getting 55-58 at idle and 75-77 with full load.

My hard drives are all internal and stay between 37-40 without dedicated fan.

Attached are Core i7 Termal Specs.

Core_i7_Termal_Specs.pdf.zip

I use latest Hardware Monitor v4.8 in both 32 and 64 mode without any issues.

My Core i7 920 CPU (D0 stepping) is overclocked to 4.1GHz with Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme cooler.

Core voltage: 1.336V, CPU PLL: 1.88V, QPI/VTT: 1.34V, Dram Voltage: 1.6V

All power saving features are disabled in BIOS.

With NullCPUPowerManagement.kext present, my temps at idle are 42-45 and 62-65 with full load.

After removing above kext I am getting 55-58 at idle and 75-77 with full load.

My hard drives are all internal and stay between 37-40 without dedicated fan.

What suppose to be stock temps for this CPU ?

When I had my original intel cooler I was at about 40+ and just over 60C when running handbrake (the first light on the mobo used to light up) This was at stock speed

When I was at 3.6GHz I recall I was at about 68-72 in prime95 (with NullCPUManagement) with 3rd party cooler

I would expect 4.1 Ghz to be a couple of orders higher.

You will need to have a working (Snow) Leopard to restore this image to an USB stick (via DiskUtility). After that you need to install boot0 and boot1h (get it from Chameleon RC3, see readme doc how to install boot0 and boot1h) and you're done.

I used the USB 3.0 file differently than you detailed but with successful results. It was actually flawless.

I have Leopard (iAtkos v7) installed on a separate drive.

-From Leopard I ran Disk Utility

-Partitioned a new separate drive

-Ran DD's script

-Installed Chameleon Bootloader

-Installed Snow Leopard (from a disc I purchased and made into image)

-Exit DD's script

-Deleted "Extra" folder from new SL drive and copied the USB 3.0 "Extra" folder to SL drive

-Deleted invisible "Boot" file from SL drive and copied "Boot" file from USB 3.0

-Restarted, select SL drive in Chameleon, and viola!

I did not need to install a video/ethernet/audio kext. It all just worked and in 64 bit. Updated to 10.6.1 with no problems. Installed all my Pro Apps with no problems. Even the CPU temps are listed properly in iStat without doing anything! Everything just seems to work perfectly (knock on wood).

The one thing I wish was that the bootloader from my SL drive was able to work rather than the one from my Leopard drive. But when I tried this method running the bootloader from the SL drive, 64bit and video did not work out of the gate. so I just went with the method above. I'll figure out a way down the road to load from my SL bootloader. But it is really not an issue at all because it quickly gets me into a 64bit SL environment with everything working properly and listed correctly.

My specs:

EX58-UD5

i7 920 - 2.66mhz

WD Black 640gb (SL)

WD 250gb old drive (Leopard w/ bootloader)

EVGA GeForce 9500 GT

Corsair 750w PSU

ADS Pyro FireWire 800 pci-e

Thanks for the help, I'll keep posting about my experiences.

Cheers,

JA

Further note:

After waking from sleep, on both SnowLeopard and TestBed certain webpages opened in Safari cause a kernel panic. I think I narrowed it down to those forms based pages using javascript that you enter things like userid & passwords.

I notice package installer causes the same panic. After googling I notice real macs complain of kernel panic eg installing iWork etc. Pages, Keynote work OK for me so I guess it's the installer.

I deduced this when I installed Opera. When I rebooted and installed Opera, did sleep/wake I found that the same pages that panic Safari are OK in Opera. I'm assuming it is therefore application specific, ie not Java (Eclipse 64 bit is fine)

I suppose it could also be a 3rd party plugin to Safari, I'm running with default Opera plugins

steve

Following the removal of NullCPUManagement & SleepEnabler I don't get the kernel panics with Safari, TimeMachine etc

after waking from sleep

steve