[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Working SL 32/64 Bit Install

This was a request made by Emilo so for those interested you can download the files modify and use as you wish....besides they are not my files... :)

Everything is working and when I mean everything, I am referring to my needs. My Hack goes to sleep when I tell it to and also wakes when I move my mouse or hit a key. It also goes to sleep when its not attended to. Smart eh... :P

Cruisar you are the man! I used your KEXT setup, added my EFI string for graphics to the plist, and I can confirm that my system is now 64bit all working *including* sleep. Finally my setup behaves as well as the previous 10.5.8 one did!

Thanks!

Several time I have installed Windows after setting up a Mac installation. It is not necessary to disconnect all other HDs while doing so, it is important to set the perspective Windows drive as first in the HD boot order.

In BIOS I have DVD set as first boot device with HD second. When ready to load Windows I enter BIOS and set the Windows HD as first among the several HDs available. After the Windows install is complete, in BIOS I now set the Mac HD as the first HD to boot. At boot, if one interrupts the boot countdown, either the Mac or Windows HD can be selected as boot device. If the Windows HD is left as first boot in BIOS, one never sees the Mac HD as a choice to boot.

Cruisar you are the man! I used your KEXT setup, added my EFI string for graphics to the plist, and I can confirm that my system is now 64bit all working *including* sleep. Finally my setup behaves as well as the previous 10.5.8 one did!

Thanks!

I am very happy to hear that you got everything working , at least I know my countless install attampts for a full working system has come to good use... :), after all, we use this forum to help each other out

Yes, it appears that you do indeed have S3 sleep with a DSDT modified only for the CMOS issue.

Is that with running the stock 2.66 GHz, and with 32 aor 64 bit?

Yeah my DSDT is only modified with the CMOS reset fix, I hate patching my DSDT because I dont want to keep track of the various versions and i think the whole task confuses me. The kexts I have work well for me. I havent overclocked my CPU cos I only have stock cooler installed and I am running 64 bit. Sleep works in 32 bit too.

I was running 32 bit whiles using ATYInit for my GPU. I switched to 64 bit after generating Efi Strings

Hi Digital_Dreamer

I just want to inform you that the Preboot CD routine (4.2c) still haves problems. I did a preboot cd and it gets to the GUI but if i hit the F5 it does not realoads, and if i insert the SL disc it says that it cannot find the mach_kernel.

THE ONLY WORKING PREBOOT CD THAT WORKS IS THE ONE HOSTED AT YOUR iDisk account.

I also have a direct question for you. Why some people can get their systems to sleep and others dont if they have the same MoBo, maybe this is a dummy question, but it's not cleat to me yet why and whats the exact role of the DSDT file.

Anyway my computer goes to sleep, it's a 100% Snow Leopard PC.

I also want to thank you for your work here, i've checked a lot of the routines done in the .sh file of the script, and i think that you had spent a lot of time in this project. Make a paypal donate button. You need some new CD-RW and RedBull.

Working SL 32/64 Bit Install

This was a request made by Emilo so for those interested you can download the files modify and use as you wish....besides they are not my files... :)

Everything is working and when I mean everything, I am referring to my needs. My Hack goes to sleep when I tell it to and also wakes when I move my mouse or hit a key. It also goes to sleep when its not attended to. Smart eh... :D

Hey,

thank you for your description!

I have one Problem: how can i say chamelion that it should start in 64bit mode? now i only use x68_64 kexts but it continues to start in 32 bit mode!

Please help!

Thanks

Hey,

thank you for your description!

I have one Problem: how can i say chamelion that it should start in 64bit mode? now i only use x68_64 kexts but it continues to start in 32 bit mode!

Please help!

Thanks

Sorry for this stupid question... of course its an entry in the boot.plist... ^^

But one Problem is left over: i can't poweroff the machine! It simply restarts! What is wrong?

THanks

PS.: Sleep works!!! (THAAAANNNNNK YOOOUU) ;)

post-302268-1257340642_thumb.png

post-302268-1257340653_thumb.png

But one Problem is left over: i can't poweroff the machine! It simply restarts! What is wrong?

THanks

PS.: Sleep works!!! (THAAAANNNNNK YOOOUU) ;)

Check your bios settings....I have never had issues with restarting and shutting down.

Here's mine - seems to work fine in hibernate 0 or 3, no kernel panics etc

Only issue is I need to manually restart bluetooth as it doesn't wake up after sleep

For a desktop 0 should be used, but there shouldn't be a problem using 3.

This is from the pmset man page;

hibernatemode takes a bitfield argument defining SafeSleep behavior.

Passing 0 disables SafeSleep altogether, forcing the computer into a regular sleep.

0001 (bit 0) enables hibernation; causes OS X to write memory state to hibernation image at sleep time. On wake (without bit 1 set) OS X will resume from the hibernation image. Bit 0 set (without bit 1 set) causes OS X to write memory state and immediately hibernate at sleep time.

0010 (bit 1), in conjunction with bit 0, causes OS X to maintain system state in memory and leave system power on until battery level drops below a near empty threshold (This enables quicker wakeup from memory while battery power is available). Upon nearly emptying the battery, OS X shuts off all system power and hibernates; on wake the system will resume from hibernation image, not from memory.

hibernatemode is set to 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables.

hibernatemode is set to 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops.

Yeah my DSDT is only modified with the CMOS reset fix, I hate patching my DSDT because I dont want to keep track of the various versions and i think the whole task confuses me. The kexts I have work well for me. I havent overclocked my CPU cos I only have stock cooler installed and I am running 64 bit. Sleep works in 32 bit too.
I couldn't make sleep and wake work with your configuration in 32bit, but here's some things I found in the attempt, and I'll try 64bit later.

If the DSDT is only to fix the CMOS issue, it can be deleted and ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext used instead, as it does the same thing.

VoodooHDA.kext can work in Extra by copying /System/Library/Extensions/OSvKernDSPLib.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Add the following to the bottom of ~/Documents/Extra/kext/OSvKernDSPLib.kext/Contents/Info.plist, ~/Documents/Extra/kext/IOAudioFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist and ~/Documents/Extra/kext/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist;

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

Something similar can be done to make RealtekR1000SL.kext work in Extra.

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

In ~/Documents/Extra/kext/RealtekR1000SL.kext/Contents/Info.plist and ~/Documents/Extra/kext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist change;

<string>Network-Root</string>

to;

<string>Root</string>

After any kext changes, run `kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext ~/Documents/Extra/kext' to update the Extensions.mkext.

Copy the new Extensions.mkext to the bootloader's Extra folder and reboot.

For a desktop 0 should be used, but there shouldn't be a problem using 3.

Yes, true. I'm not running any sleepenabler kexts or DSDT edits just the native Apple ACPI PM stuff.

The problem is that my bluetooth usb dongle (a composite device) consisting of USB & Bluetooth sleeps, but on

wake the BlueTooth part of the device doesn't wake, the OS X blued daemon etc is still running and thinks the service

is still active. In order to reset the dongle I have to reset it by removing it. This then resets the composite device and it

works again

I just tried hibernate 3 to see if it behaved any differently (doesn't just takes longer)

Easy workaround is to wake the computer by pulling the BT dongle out and reinserting it. Using the dongle for the Magic

Mouse. Now that I got used to, it all normal mice feel horrible.

So my thoughts are:

1 - fiddle with kexts - tried that and it does something put they are a bit intricate and not discovered the interdependencies

2 - Is it possible to do something with DSDT to support a USB/BT device?

3 - Is it possible to do something with FakeSMC?

PS The old chesnut of D-Link DB-120 is discontinued (in the appropriate version according to comments on the internet

and it required an Apple Firmware patch)

I did think of getting an Airport & Blue tooth card off ebay but the pci-e adapters are expensive with postage

any thoughts?

steve

I couldn't make sleep and wake work with your configuration in 32bit, but here's some things I found in the attempt, and I'll try 64bit later.

If the DSDT is only to fix the CMOS issue, it can be deleted and ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext used instead, as it does the same thing.

VoodooHDA.kext can work in Extra by copying /System/Library/Extensions/OSvKernDSPLib.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Add the following to the bottom of ~/Documents/Extra/kext/OSvKernDSPLib.kext/Contents/Info.plist, ~/Documents/Extra/kext/IOAudioFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist and ~/Documents/Extra/kext/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist;

<string>Root</string>

Something similar can be done to make RealtekR1000SL.kext work in Extra.

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

In ~/Documents/Extra/kext/RealtekR1000SL.kext/Contents/Info.plist and ~/Documents/Extra/kext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist change;

<string>Network-Root</string>

to;

<string>Root</string>

After any kext changes, run `kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext ~/Documents/Extra/kext' to update the Extensions.mkext.

Copy the new Extensions.mkext to the bootloader's Extra folder and reboot.

Weird that you couldnt make sleep work, I hardly shut down my computer, all I do is put it to sleep and wake it when I need to use it.

Thanks for the input considering the movement of kexts to the Extra folder...it sounds a bit tedious to me though, all the moving and editing of plists... :rolleyes:

I will give your method a try when I have more time on my hands...I work two jobs..lol. Where can I find the alternate kext for the DSDT fix...a link if you may please!

Off Topic:

I bought a blue tooth usb dongle and plugged it in when i got home, It worked OOB, I didnt even have to reboot and I was able to pair all my devices. I put the hack to sleep b4 I left for job #2 so I will see if it is active when I wake it up since Steve is having this kind of problem on his setup.

I plan to use my Wiimote to control Front Row

Weird that you couldnt make sleep work, I hardly shut down my computer, all I do is put it to sleep and wake it when I need to use it.

Off Topic:

[/b]I bought a blue tooth usb dongle and plugged it in when i got home, It worked OOB, I didnt even have to reboot and I was able to pair all my devices. I put the hack to sleep b4 I left for job #2 so I will see if it is active when I wake it up since Steve is having this kind of problem on his setup.

ditto, sleep working great, both idle and software

Thanks, getting BT to work seems easy enough. The problem is maintaining a paired connection after wake, ie mouse or keyboard.

steve

You have probably all seen it but there is a nice graphical DSDT editor here with some potted fixes.

Just tried it, not done me any harm (but don't blame me - I didn't write it!)

http://www.kexts.com/view/78-evosx86_dsdt_editor.html

steve

That's an old 1.2.0b1, get the latest 1.3.1 from the source at http://www.osx86.es/?p=610.

Notes on RealtekR1000SL.kext

I tried the new 32/64bit RealtekR1000SL.kext make available by BitShoveler here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&start=600#

So far, I have only used it in 32 bit mode and it works well. It solves the Bonjour issues for me, which means I can finally use my Time Capsule again.

One note of caution: your Ethernet speed may not be autodetected properly. I have GigE and the kext decided to negotiate the link at 100Mb instead. I fixed this by manually setting the speed for this interface in Sytem Preferences.

Once I manually set it to GigE, full-duplex, I was pleased to find that this kext was performing significantly faster that the common RealtekR1000.kext going around. I was getting over 100 Megabytes per second (meaning 800+ Megabits per second) while copying files in finder. Under the previous RealtekR1000.kext, I was maxing out around 75 to 80 Megabytes per second (600 to 640 Megabits per second). So the speed improvement was very welcome!

That's an old 1.2.0b1, get the latest 1.3.1 from the source at http://www.osx86.es/?p=610.

Thanks

Notes on RealtekR1000SL.kext

I tried the new 32/64bit RealtekR1000SL.kext make available by BitShoveler here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&start=600#

So far, I have only used it in 32 bit mode and it works well. It solves the Bonjour issues for me, which means I can finally use my Time Capsule again.

One note of caution: your Ethernet speed may not be autodetected properly. I have GigE and the kext decided to negotiate the link at 100Mb instead. I fixed this by manually setting the speed for this interface in Sytem Preferences.

Once I manually set it to GigE, full-duplex, I was pleased to find that this kext was performing significantly faster that the common RealtekR1000.kext going around. I was getting over 100 Megabytes per second (meaning 800+ Megabits per second) while copying files in finder. Under the previous RealtekR1000.kext, I was maxing out around 75 to 80 Megabytes per second (600 to 640 Megabits per second). So the speed improvement was very welcome!

How do you measure that, something I've always wanted to check . I generally just looked at the colour of the lights on the Lan ports to see if they were orange

How do you measure that, something I've always wanted to check . I generally just looked at the colour of the lights on the Lan ports to see if they were orange

You can open the "Activity Monitor" application in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. Then click on the "Network" tab on the bottom of the screen. It will show current throughput and give you a nice little graph.

You can open the "Activity Monitor" application in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. Then click on the "Network" tab on the bottom of the screen. It will show current throughput and give you a nice little graph.

Thanks !

Off Topic:

I bought a blue tooth usb dongle and plugged it in when i got home, It worked OOB, I didnt even have to reboot and I was able to pair all my devices. I put the hack to sleep b4 I left for job #2 so I will see if it is active when I wake it up since Steve is having this kind of problem on his setup.

Wonderful news...my hack wakes with blue tooth active, I dont need to take the blue tooth dongle out and plug it back in. My devices lose their connection though, I can reconnect by just selecting device and connecting from the drop down menu.

Wonderful news...my hack wakes with blue tooth active, I dont need to take the blue tooth dongle out and plug it back in. My devices lose their connection though, I can reconnect by just selecting device and connecting from the drop down menu.

Cool, but not sure how I can do that without the mouse :P (it's the thing that's lost connection)

(when I first got the MM I could get it to wake the machine from sleep by shaking or clicking, but only basic

pointing worked, ie none of the finger movements worked). I did a lot of fiddling and managed to lose that feature,

not really useful as it wasn't easy to get finger scrolling back - still easier to whip the dongle out.

If I get stuck I have to plug a USB mighty mouse back in

What's the dongle make & model if you don't mind sharing, may shed some more light on the subject

Hi Digital_Dreamer

I just want to inform you that the Preboot CD routine (4.2c) still haves problems. I did a preboot cd and it gets to the GUI but if i hit the F5 it does not realoads, and if i insert the SL disc it says that it cannot find the mach_kernel.

THE ONLY WORKING PREBOOT CD THAT WORKS IS THE ONE HOSTED AT YOUR iDisk account.

I also have a direct question for you. Why some people can get their systems to sleep and others dont if they have the same MoBo, maybe this is a dummy question, but it's not cleat to me yet why and whats the exact role of the DSDT file.

Anyway my computer goes to sleep, it's a 100% Snow Leopard PC.

I also want to thank you for your work here, i've checked a lot of the routines done in the .sh file of the script, and i think that you had spent a lot of time in this project. Make a paypal donate button. You need some new CD-RW and RedBull.

RE: CD

Thanks for the heads up. Hmmm. And, that's after waiting for the drive light to go out before hitting F5? I gotta get some more CDs to test. It's odd, because I created that downloadable ISO the same way, just without including the script folder. I'm working on a different version, as well.

RE: Sleep

Whether sleeps works or not depends greatly on all the devices connected to your system and whether the system can communicate those sleep/wake commands to them. They have to all support sleep and respond properly. Given that users have different GPUs and USB devices connected, their sleep/wake success story will vary. Of course, having supporting kexts and/or DSDT patches works toward that end. Sometimes a device may support sleep, but the system isn't aware that it is supported. So, a DSDT patch or kext change will provide the proper flag or message. That's a bit over-simplified, but you probably get the point.

RE: DSDT file

This file provides the OS the hardware specifications available. Many features available in the hardware are revealed in the code.

RE: RedBull

:wacko:

MAJ

RE: CD

Thanks for the heads up. Hmmm. And, that's after waiting for the drive light to go out before hitting F5? I gotta get some more CDs to test. It's odd, because I created that downloadable ISO the same way, just without including the script folder. I'm working on a different version, as well.

Digital Dreamer: I will inform you the difference between the two Preboot CDs.

The preboot cd made by the script gets to the Chameleon GUI without error reading ebios blocks, there you see the little chameleon and the CD drive with the Preboot CD in. If i swap the CD for the SL Disc and hit F5 NOTHING happens, it does not rescan the drive. If i hit enter it says that cannot find mach_kernel. If i just keep the preboot CD in the drive and hit enter i algo get the missing mach:kernel.

In the other hand, the preboot CD created by you at your iDisk account starts loading, then you see a lot of error reading ebios blocks of the disc and one error parsing plist file. but after all those error it gets to the little chameleon gui, i insert the SL and hit F5 at IT DOES RESCAN the cd drive and after that i can install S/L without problems.

The problem bust be on the parameters of the boot section of the cd.

Script Feature Suggestion: Make a folder inside your script's folder called utilities, and make your preboot cd routine to copy that folder to the preboot cd ISO, in that way people can copy common used files for using after installing SL.

I did it by copying your script, my keyboard and mouse drivers, my external sound card driver, 10.6.1 update, paragon ntfs and so on on the default theme folder, the preboot cd copied all the files to the iso and that would be very nice. By the way the only problem no is that the prebootdisc made by the scripts does not work.

I have a little question. The Power Button at the case is supposed to turn off thhe computer in SL? It just awakes the computer from sleep, and, do you know if its possible to disable the behavior of the cd locking made by osx, i would like to eject my cd's by pressing the eject button on the cd drive. !!

Just finished combining different patches into perfectly working system !!!

Noticed that most people claiming to have working sleep in both 32/64 bit share one thing - absence of Device (LAN) in DSDT

You can find complete info in updated Post #661

Just finished combining different patches into perfectly working system !!!

Noticed that most people claiming to have working sleep in both 32/64 bit share one thing - absence of Device (LAN) in DSDT

You can find complete info in updated Post #661

Happy to hear that Emilo. Most patched DSDT's I have used never enabled 100% sleep function for my machine or I always ended up with Kernel panics upon wake, thats why I leave it unpacted ;)