[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

I'll be looking into this.

MAJ

I've never had issues booting from a USB drive. The trick is to not run option number 3 of DD's script, that is making the drive active.I have 2 USB hard drives with Lepoard and SL respectively and they all boot with no issues.

I've never had issues booting from a USB drive. The trick is to not run option number 3 of DD's script, that is making the drive active.I have 2 USB hard drives with Lepoard and SL respectively and they all boot with no issues.

I've tried it a few times with two different external USB-HDs (option 14 only): UD5 BIOS doesn't see them. Not in boot priority, not in F12 boot menu..

My 8GB USB-Stick is recognized as boot-install (option 14), and it works until screen goes to sleep again...

I've tried it a few times with two different external USB-HDs (option 14 only): UD5 BIOS doesn't see them. Not in boot priority, not in F12 boot menu..

My 8GB USB-Stick is recognized as boot-install (option 14), and it works until screen goes to sleep again...

Wow....hmmm...are you working from a leopard install? I noticed in your signature that you have 3 hard disk drives. WHy dont u install to one of those using DD's script, that is steps 2 - 7 and then we can pick up from there.

Wow....hmmm...are you working from a leopard install?

I'm working from 10.6.1 MBP w/10.6 retail DVD

I noticed in your signature that you have 3 hard disk drives. WHy dont u install to one of those using DD's script, that is steps 2 - 7 and then we can pick up from there.

That is an option, yes.. I was mainly interested in getting it to work with DD's Preboot CD or option 14 of the script + my gtx285, without changing the (internal) HDs between UD5 System and Mac..

I'm working from 10.6.1 MBP w/10.6 retail DVD

That should make things easier for u then...install to one of your other hard drives...10.6.1 to a 10.6 install should be ok cos you can build your bootcache in 64bit.

P.S Can you outline what you are having difficulties with?

Hi

Just discovered something.

I have three disks on my EX58-UD5

/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
  1:               Windows_NTFS                         500.1 GB   disk0s1
/dev/disk1
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk1
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS TestBed                 119.7 GB   disk1s2
/dev/disk2
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk2
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS SnowLeopard             999.9 GB   disk2s2
/dev/disk3
  0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *7.8 GB     disk3
  1:        Apple_partition_map                         30.7 KB    disk3s1
  2:         Apple_Driver_ATAPI                         1.0 GB     disk3s2
  3:                  Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install DVD    6.7 GB     disk3s3

Disk 1 has a pure new fresh install of snow leopard 10.6.0 sleep works in 32 bit mode (I also had 64 bit working

on a previous install) - called TestBed

Disk 2 is my original SL 10.6.1 install, machine sleeps but does not wake up, devices not powering up eg disks or

bluetooth dongle, cpu, gpu & fans switch on though - called SnowLeopard

I have Chameleon and pcefi 10.5 installed on /EFI of disk 1 & 2, different boot.plist for

respective UUID, but same kexts & DSDT

I have primary boot disk set to Disk 2 in Bios

If I set primary boot disk to Disk 1 in Bios it loads the TestBed installed there assuming I select it at the chameleon

menu, Sleep works there

If using my default Disk 2 as main boot disk then if I select SnowLeopard - sleep waking DOES NOT work.

If I select Disk 2 as main boot disk but select TestBed then SnowLeopard loads - BUT Sleep DOES work

I did have a kernel panic the first time I used Safari and did load previous History trying to use HTTPS

On reboot and selecting TestBed I noticed the Chameleon dialogue is different (small writing top left screen)

There was a some wording which stated hibernate image was out of date, strange as I use hibernate 0

SnowLeopard loads as before (ie not TestBed)

So I deleted /var/vm/sleepimage. Sent machine to sleep, it woke up everything working

I'm typing from Safari at the moment - stable 15 mins or more - not tried loading previous history

So it seems to me that the sleep issue may be related to boot config

It's probably not optimal chameleon set up but I was experimenting, just wish chameleon created

a log file

On my SnowLeopard install, everything including BlueTooth is working :)

regards

Steve

PS tried to post this as a new topic but it didn't seem to work

Hi

Just discovered something.

<snip>

If I select Disk 2 as main boot disk but select TestBed then SnowLeopard loads - BUT Sleep DOES work

RE: the above quoted sentence, do you mean select TestBed and boot Testbed, not boot SnowLeopard?

My understanding of all of this is due to the way the Chameleon bootloader works. Some refer to it as a bug (and I agree to some point), but it's also regarded as a feature. The key is here: The bootloader loads the kexts from /Extra from the partition selected in the BIOS as the boot disk, regardless of which partition is selected at the bootloader screen. This is why you can get KPs when selecting a install that requires a different set of kexts than the one set as your boot disk.

This would be a bug, because we don't want that to happen.

However, it's a key feature that allows the Preboot CD method to work. With the Preboot CD, the kexts that are loaded from the CD are then used to boot into the Installer DVD.

I'd like some way to control this feature, as this "feature" has been the blame for many unpredictable booting issues.

In my experience, the only surefire way to ensure the kexts loaded are for the selected install is to set the BIOS to boot from it. That's why I also use F12 to boot back into Leo, for example, not via bootloader selection.

EDIT SEQULE: Regarding using the UUID in the boot.plist, I believe this works rather well on the /Extra setup, but the UUID in the EFI partition merely points to the partition that holds the System files we want to boot. The bootloader has already loaded or is going to load the kexts from EFI, as that partition was set active.

I think part of the confusion (at least in my mind) is what behavior do we really want to have here?

In your case, I'm not sure why there's a sleep-works-on-this-partition, but not the other, when they both have the same kexts and DSDT file. Are you sure they are the same versions? Did you do a kext install to both of these partitions from the same script version?

Hi digital_dreamer, Is this working with GA-X58-Extreme with ATI HD 4870?

Yes, same chipset throughout.

However, the 4870 will need a little extra support for QE/CI from netkas' installers.

MAJ

RE: the above quoted sentence, do you mean select TestBed and boot Testbed, not boot SnowLeopard?

My understanding of all of this is due to the way the Chameleon bootloader works. Some refer to it as a bug (and I agree to some point), but it's also regarded as a feature. The key is here: The bootloader loads the kexts from /Extra from the partition selected in the BIOS as the boot disk, regardless of which partition is selected at the bootloader screen. This is why you can get KPs when selecting a install that requires a different set of kexts than the one set as your boot disk.

This would be a bug, because we don't want that to happen.

However, it's a key feature that allows the Preboot CD method to work. With the Preboot CD, the kexts that are loaded from the CD are then used to boot into the Installer DVD.

I'd like some way to control this feature, as this "feature" has been the blame for many unpredictable booting issues.

In my experience, the only surefire way to ensure the kexts loaded are for the selected install is to set the BIOS to boot from it. That's why I also use F12 to boot back into Leo, for example, not via bootloader selection.

EDIT SEQULE: Regarding using the UUID in the boot.plist, I believe this works rather well on the /Extra setup, but the UUID in the EFI partition merely points to the partition that holds the System files we want to boot. The bootloader has already loaded or is going to load the kexts from EFI, as that partition was set active.

I think part of the confusion (at least in my mind) is what behavior do we really want to have here?

In your case, I'm not sure why there's a sleep-works-on-this-partition, but not the other, when they both have the same kexts and DSDT file. Are you sure they are the same versions? Did you do a kext install to both of these partitions from the same script version?

Yes, same chipset throughout.

However, the 4870 will need a little extra support for QE/CI from netkas' installers.

MAJ

If I set SnowLeopard as boot disk in Bios, but select TestBed in chameleon, SnowLeopard loads, but it behaves

differently than if I select SnowLeopard in chameleon!

In order to access TestBed I have to set it as bootdisk in Bios. (I did it this way so that if anything happens to

either disk then I have a good bootable disk available as both have a full EFI partition setup)

My installs are all manual. I have the same files in /disk1s1 and disk2s1. I installed chameleon RC2 into /disk1s1

(aka TestBed EFI), then deleted everything under EFI, did cp -R * from /disk2s1 (SnowLeopard EFI). I then just

changed the UUID value in boot.plist to match that for TestBed

Both have same vanilla kexts in /S/L/E only addition being RealtekR1000.kext (copied from SnowLeopard).

I did wonder if that was the problem but in TestBed sleep worked before I installed Realtek, and after I installed

it.

Also note, that sharing can prevent sleep so turned all sharing off in SnowLeopard to let it sleep (it's a feature

not a bug)

/usr/bin/pmset -g log:

Description:	Power Management logs
 Size:	3 KB
 Last Modified:	27/10/2009 17:38
 Recent Contents:	Power Management ASL logs.
-> All messages with "com.apple.message.domain" key set to "com.apple.powermanagement".)

* Domain: applicationresponse.slowresponse
- Message: PMConnection IPConfiguration com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 2257 ms
- Time: 27/10/2009 00:04:36 GMT 
- Signature: IPConfiguration
- UUID: 09BEE387-60C8-4AF7-8A94-25A067662D4B
- Result: Noop
- Response time (ms): 2257

* Domain: applicationresponse.slowresponse
- Message: PMConnection IPConfiguration com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 211 ms
- Time: 27/10/2009 11:17:01 GMT 
- Signature: IPConfiguration
- UUID: C245DA17-8E0A-4363-9D4D-281D4366E61E
- Result: Noop
- Response time (ms): 211

* Domain: sleep
- Time: 27/10/2009 11:27:51 GMT 
- Signature: Success
- UUID: 5462F47F-0454-468D-A140-BF0B2F1F4603
- Result: Success
- Sleep count : 0

* Domain: wake

* Domain: hibernatestats
- Signature: hibernatemode=0

- Time: 27/10/2009 11:35:28 GMT 
- UUID: E04AD26A-0866-4739-AA4D-F4FEA61050A6

- Time: 27/10/2009 11:40:19 GMT 
- UUID: 2443DEF9-D2B7-4F8C-85D3-54D40F04E836

I am indeed, downloading 4.2c now, I'll give it a go :rolleyes:

-Rich-

EDIT: It works! Fantastic :) I only needed it to change my CPU info, did it automatically, cheers DD :P

Desktop%202009-10-26.jpg

Hey :D Can you please give the icons you have an your desktop now, they look awesome :P. Also, how could you modify the Windows 7 partition logo? I can't modify it :s?

Just signing in to report a success story!

I'm running with a fully functional box running with 64 bit kernal - Everything working :(

I had an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card sitting round in an old PC and noticed that drivers are available for SL 64 bit from here - http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/

It looked like a lot of hassle to get network going in 64 bit as well, so I just picked up a 10/100/1000 generic "PC Line" card from PC world for a tenner. I can confirm that it works fine in 64 bit (typing this from it) with DHCP and Bonjour both functioning.

Thanks for everyone who helped me and especially Digital_Dreamer for his legendary script.

I'll hang round to answer a few questions and put something back!

Just signing in to report a success story!

I'm running with a fully functional box running with 64 bit kernal - Everything working :(

I had an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card sitting round in an old PC and noticed that drivers are available for SL 64 bit from here - http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/

It looked like a lot of hassle to get network going in 64 bit as well, so I just picked up a 10/100/1000 generic "PC Line" card from PC world for a tenner. I can confirm that it works fine in 64 bit (typing this from it) with DHCP and Bonjour both functioning.

Thanks for everyone who helped me and especially Digital_Dreamer for his legendary script.

I'll hang round to answer a few questions and put something back!

Wonderful News fruitBat, whats the model name of your new NIC? Thinking of getting one myself so I can run everything in 64 bit...thanks

Wonderful News fruitBat, whats the model name of your new NIC? Thinking of getting one myself so I can run everything in 64 bit...thanks

It's just called "PC Line" and is the cheap generic make from PC World.

If you gave to get a branded one, I believe the NetGear FA311 and GA311 both work.

If I set SnowLeopard as boot disk in Bios, but select TestBed in chameleon, SnowLeopard loads, but it behaves

differently than if I select SnowLeopard in chameleon!

My first thought is that the boot.plist in the EFI partition for TestBed has a UUID pointing to SnowLeopard, instead.

Hey :( Can you please give the icons you have an your desktop now, they look awesome :whistle:. Also, how could you modify the Windows 7 partition logo? I can't modify it :s?

I was going to comment on those icons, too! They're nice.

You'll only be able to save a icon to the Windows partition if you have write access to it. So, he likely has a NTFS formatted drive with MacFUSE and the NTFS-3G plugin or Paragon for the Mac.

MAJ

I was going to comment on those icons, too! They're nice.

You'll only be able to save a icon to the Windows partition if you have write access to it. So, he likely has a NTFS formatted drive with MacFUSE and the NTFS-3G plugin or Paragon for the Mac.

MAJ

Heh, thanks :D

Yeah MacFUSE and NTFS-3G used to work but then I had problems so now I've switched to Paragon :rolleyes:

Which icons are you talking about in particular?

Finder: Leopard In Rainbows

Adium: Domo-Kun

Thunderbird (Mail): First Class

iTerm (Terminal): Terminal

Snow Leopard HD: Apple Rainbow Icon

Time Machine: Time Machine

Windows 7: Windows Icon

Oh and I have the drawers on my 2 stacks :)

Adium preferences are HERE

-Rich-

My first thought is that the boot.plist in the EFI partition for TestBed has a UUID pointing to SnowLeopard, instead.

MAJ

On TestBed's EFI

The UUID in boot.plist I definitely changed to TestBed UUID as I thought of that, BUT thinking

Smbios.plist is cosmetic I left the UUID in there as SnowLeopards UUID

It is almost if it was running with TestBeds /S/L/E kexts and SnowLeopards Apps and User space!

On SnowLeopard boot.plist is SnowLeopard's UUID, smbios has a dummy generated UUID

Having decided not to assume, I cross checked the /S/L/E on both drives, TestBed is running 10.6.0

and SnowLeopard is running 10.6.1 There are quite a few differences verified by cksum.

bash-3.2# diff -rq /System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/TestBed/System/Library/Extensions

I'll do some more tests and report back

... Added modified fakesmc.kexts for Snow Leopard and Leopard that allows iStat Menus to report CPU temps...

This modified facksmc.kext is GREAT! Now we can monitor CPU temps in OS X which is a huge help when trying to find ideal overclock settings on a Hackintosh! The Temperature Monitor app wasn't working reliably for me, but this kext plus iStat is a godsend!

Question:

Is there a way to modify fakesmc.kext so that fan speeds are reported to iStat Menus also??? I know the GA-EX58-UD5 has fan speed sensors on at least 4 fans (because you can view fan RPMs in the BIOS). This would greatly help us monitor our hardware from the OS X environment so we don't have to keep relying on a Windows OS to overclock.

Anyone know how to do this?

I installed SL using DD dreamers script. I was able to boot into SL desktop, turn of spotlight and do post install stuff but when I reboot I cant boot back into SL. It hangs on this screen.

post-386268-1256688087_thumb.jpg

Any ideas, thoughts, help? Is my install no good or can it be salvaged by moving kexts or using something else in the DD script?

Really looking to get SL installed and FCP and CS4 suite working.

Thanks!

My hdd is partitioned into two, mac journaled and MSdos fat (according to disk utility) and I tried installing Windows 7 on the 2nd partition. When windows 7 tried to format the 2nd partition, it failed, but now when I reboot, it won't load the bootloader from the 1st mac journaled parition. It just keeps restart looping before I normally see the gray screen bootloader. I haven't tried to troubleshoot it yet, but do anyone know what I messed up? lol

On TestBed's EFI

The UUID in boot.plist I definitely changed to TestBed UUID as I thought of that, BUT thinking

Smbios.plist is cosmetic I left the UUID in there as SnowLeopards UUID

It is almost if it was running with TestBeds /S/L/E kexts and SnowLeopards Apps and User space!

On SnowLeopard boot.plist is SnowLeopard's UUID, smbios has a dummy generated UUID

Having decided not to assume, I cross checked the /S/L/E on both drives, TestBed is running 10.6.0

and SnowLeopard is running 10.6.1 There are quite a few differences verified by cksum.

bash-3.2# diff -rq /System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/TestBed/System/Library/Extensions

I'll do some more tests and report back

I'm confident that the not waking from sleep problem is not kext or DSDT related.

I upgraded TestBed to 10.6.1 the same as SnowLeopard, sleep still works on TestBed

I did a diff of /S/L/E on both disks, only found difference in AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext & AppleMobileDevice.kext

Updated SnowLeopard with the same 2 kexts

For completeness I diff'ed /Volumes/EFI on both, the only diffs being the smbios & boot.plist files

Ran the 10.6.1 upgrade again just in case ...

Tried sleep again, still failing on SnowLeopard (working on TestBed)

There are a quite a few cache files in /S/L that differ but I guess I would expect that.

By the way, I tried the reverse expt, with TestBed set to Bios primary, selecting SnowLeopard launches what seems

to be the TestBed install, however this does not sleep properly which is consistent behaviour

steve