[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Off topic but I ordered a magic mouse and bought a Belkin Bluetooth dongle. (Belkin F8T017ng)

I installed Windows 7 over my old 500Gb SL safety/pure/test install (on purpose!)

I decided I needed a new safety disk (just in case of accidents).

I created a fresh manual install on an old 120Gb disk, sleep and everything else is fully working

with the above Belkin dongle. Haven't tested with Magic Mouse yet as still in the mail.

Nice that I can boot into my choice of SL install or Windows 7 via chameleon and PCEFI v10.5

(my main SL drive doesn't support sleep as I messed up some permissions by typing chmod -R 755

from /, managed to fix most but probably missed something. Using the same kexts, DSDT etc on both

installs)

regards

Steve

I created a fresh manual install on an old 120Gb disk, sleep and everything else is fully working

with the above Belkin dongle. Haven't tested with Magic Mouse yet as still in the mail.

Could you outline your install process or is it the same as the one from one of your earlier posts?

Could you outline your install process or is it the same as the one from one of your earlier posts?

Yep, everything manual I'm afraid, I find it helps to understand the mechanics of the system.

I've used this process several times without a problem, took me just over an hour with all SL

packages installed. Typing from the new install, tried both hibernatemode=0 and hibernatemode=3

(set to S3 in bios)

sorry :P

Steve

fruitbat04,

Have you been able to get your GTX working?

No, I even tried removing the whole of the graphics folders from the 10.5 and 10.6 folders but still can't even get to VESA.

Even worse was that last time, it killed all my BIOS settings when I had to hard reboot after the screen. I had to reset them (luckily they were backed up).

Thank you very much for this guide. Without it, I would have not been able to construct my new machine and have been forced to buy a less powerful iMac in its place :P

To assist those reading this guide like I did, I put together a quick "how did I do it?" post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194264

I hope this helps anyone attempting to build a Mac Pro caliber machine using this awesome motherboard.

nice script, thanks DD, installation was a breeze :P

i was able to customize the install to get my gtx 295 working through VGA from the get go by editing ATY_Init and NVDANV50Hal.

the only thing thats not working is my wifi card, which is because of the DSDT file's HPET support.

it seems like a common issue, netkas blogs about it here: (http://netkas.org/?p=262)

when the next release comes out, could it please include the selection of DSDT fixes, one with HPET disabled?

ok maybe I can help....if you have already installed SL to an internal drive and your display goes to sleep upon first boot then you will have to install Netkas' enabler from here . Just install to the SL drive and reboot.

If you installed graphics kexts from DD's scripts uninstall them. Go to S/L/E and delete the four NV kexts I mentioned earlier. NOTE you do not need to delete this if u r installing netkas' enabler. Try it and let me know how it goes...I can give you a detailed step by step procedure if that will help.

I don't have a working SL install at the moment. I'm trying to use the USB disk install method (Option 14 from the script).

If I could just get SL installed with the GFX working in VESA, I could tinker round and get it going.

A procedure would be great! Ideally, I wanted to do a straight install due to the problems caused with installing it from a 10.5 installation, but if necessary, I can install iAktos 10.5.7 to another disk first because I know it will at least install.

At present, I'm prepping the USB installer disk from a Macbook.

No, I even tried removing the whole of the graphics folders from the 10.5 and 10.6 folders but still can't even get to VESA.

Even worse was that last time, it killed all my BIOS settings when I had to hard reboot after the screen. I had to reset them (luckily they were backed up).

ok maybe I can help....if you have already installed SL to an internal drive and your display goes to sleep upon first boot then you will have to install Netkas' enabler from here . Just install to the SL drive and reboot.

If you installed graphics kexts from DD's scripts uninstall them. Go to S/L/E and delete the four NV kexts I mentioned earlier. NOTE you do not need to delete this if u r installing netkas' enabler. Try it and let me know how it goes...I can give you a detailed step by step procedure if that will help.

I don't have a working SL install at the moment. I'm trying to use the USB disk install method (Option 14 from the script).

If I could just get SL installed with the GFX working in VESA, I could tinker round and get it going.

A procedure would be great! Ideally, I wanted to do a straight install due to the problems caused with installing it from a 10.5 installation, but if necessary, I can install iAktos 10.5.7 to another disk first because I know it will at least install.

My UD5 didn't accept the external USB drive as boot device made with option 14 of the script... Not via BIOS boot priority, not via F12...

My UD5 didn't accept the external USB drive as boot device made with option 14 of the script... Not via BIOS boot priority, not via F12...

That part worked OK for me. I just prepped it using the option 14 and was able to see it as a HDD in the F12 menu option.

I did notice that it has to be plugged in before you power on/restart. Hope that helps!

Thanks ;)

Well I have never experienced any problems from a Leopard install, just remember to boot in single user mode and build your cache from there as 64 bit extensions cant be built in Leopard.

If your usb drive is big enough, install SL to it instead of trying to use it as an installer boot disc. Remember to delete the 4 NV kexts I mentioned earlier from S/L/E before rebooting and building the cache. once booted in Vesa mode from the usb stick, you can then reinstall SL to your main drive from your usb SL. This will give you a clean install and not to mention the right DSDT patcher.

PS Dont bother trying to make a BOOTCD or USB install unless you can in some way integrate netkas' enabler or get rid of those 4 kexts in S/L/E...you will end up with a black screen...trust me I tried until I lost count of my install attempts

Thanks, Rich! :rolleyes:

So, you're using English with the Great Britain locale, if I'm reading the "en_GB" correctly?

MAJ

I am indeed, downloading 4.2c now, I'll give it a go :)

-Rich-

EDIT: It works! Fantastic :rolleyes: I only needed it to change my CPU info, did it automatically, cheers DD :)

Desktop%202009-10-26.jpg

Posting this from 10.6 :)

I managed to get it working in the end and had a few (!!!) hiccups on the way.

1) The only way I managed to get it working was using Extra partition and EFI bootloader

2) I tried going through by installing to my USB HD. As someone else reported in here, it hangs BIOS when connected after being marked as active

3) Sound doesn't work. Haven't tried to sort it yet. I've actually got a Creative X-Fi in so would prefer to use that as opposed to the onboard

4) Graphics weren't an issue in the end. I'm not sure if they are accelorated, but I'm in 1680x1050 with no messing.

Thanks for all your help :D

So, what was your working method?

MAJ

I put in an old HDD and installed iAtkos on it. Then, I used your script. Everything worked fine, except that I had to use very specific options (EFI and Chameleon just didn't want to play).

I'm having a look at getting the audio working with the onboard driver, but everything else seems perfect (shutdown and restart I've tested) and I'm running in 64bit.

I think if you were to add the kext for the UD3R audio to your script, you could label it as 100% compatible for that as well :(

K lol XD what i meant is to restore the iso to an usb stick instead of burning the iso to a cd. It could save me a lot of cd's XD

I burned the iso to a cd, but when i boot the snow leopard DVD from it, it hangs. In -v, everything seems to be loaded (with at the end some error messages about realtek not getting a connection, but that's normal because i don't have an ethernet cable in the computer) but i don't get any image/blue screen/... I just stays at the grey apple with the spinning beachball. I tried booting in -v/-x/-x32/arch=i386 and combinations of those but i don't get it to boot.

I have an SATA optical drive/GA-EX58-UD5/Radeon 4870 HD

Rats. Now, I need to determine if the problem is the preboot CD and choice of kexts or something else.

If I were you and you are still interested in testing (Ha!), I would go ahead and remove the unnecessary kexts from the Kexts_10.6/Boot_Disk folder, like

VoodooHDA.kext, SleepEnabler.kext, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, and ApplePS2Controller.kext, then create another CD.

The ISO won't work on a USB stick. That's a common request, but I don't believe it's technically possible due to how the boot process works.

The USB method requires a regular bootloader and OS install.

nice script, thanks DD, installation was a breeze :)

i was able to customize the install to get my gtx 295 working through VGA from the get go by editing ATY_Init and NVDANV50Hal.

the only thing thats not working is my wifi card, which is because of the DSDT file's HPET support.

it seems like a common issue, netkas blogs about it here: (http://netkas.org/?p=262)

when the next release comes out, could it please include the selection of DSDT fixes, one with HPET disabled?

Yeah, that's on the "to-do" list!

MAJ

Hmmm. Don't know what's up there. Wasn't visible?

Well I have never experienced any problems from a Leopard install, just remember to boot in single user mode and build your cache from there as 64 bit extensions cant be built in Leopard.

If your usb drive is big enough, install SL to it instead of trying to use it as an installer boot disc. Remember to delete the 4 NV kexts I mentioned earlier from S/L/E before rebooting and building the cache. once booted in Vesa mode from the usb stick, you can then reinstall SL to your main drive from your usb SL. This will give you a clean install and not to mention the right DSDT patcher.

PS Dont bother trying to make a BOOTCD or USB install unless you can in some way integrate netkas' enabler or get rid of those 4 kexts in S/L/E...you will end up with a black screen...trust me I tried until I lost count of my install attempts

That's a real pain, I know. I remember when I had the 2600 XT, I always had to remember to delete the ATIRadeonX2000.kext after each install/update before booting. Otherwise, I was greeted with a corrupted desktop.

Posting this from 10.6 :D

I managed to get it working in the end and had a few (!!!) hiccups on the way.

1) The only way I managed to get it working was using Extra partition and EFI bootloader

2) I tried going through by installing to my USB HD. As someone else reported in here, it hangs BIOS when connected after being marked as active

3) Sound doesn't work. Haven't tried to sort it yet. I've actually got a Creative X-Fi in so would prefer to use that as opposed to the onboard

4) Graphics weren't an issue in the end. I'm not sure if they are accelorated, but I'm in 1680x1050 with no messing.

Thanks for all your help :)

w00t! :D

So, what was your working method?

MAJ

Hi, Can somebody quickly post how you get sound to work on 64bit kernel?

I tried various configurations and none have worked.

Which kexts (and which version of the AppleHDA and HDAenabler, if any), enablers, location of the kexts, and EFI strings are you using?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers. Worked for me as well.

What is Analog PCM 1 by the way? Does everyone get 2 devices, or could that be my X-FI?

Not sure, give it a go :(

Was that voodooHDA Only and under 64bit? any EFI strings and where was VoodooHDA put?

Thanks.

VoodooHDA (which I believe is 32bit only) is a kext so it has to be placed in System/Library/Extensions (use Kext Utility if you're having trouble)

-Rich-

Not sure, give it a go :(

VoodooHDA (which I believe is 32bit only) is a kext so it has to be placed in System/Library/Extensions (use Kext Utility if you're having trouble)

-Rich-

Thanks for the quick reply.

If DD's scrip is correct, it does say that the VoodooHDA is x86_64.

(and does not give sound under 64bit btw)

----

I got it working...

with VoodooHDA and HDAenabler (both x86_64 in /extras)

Thanks for the great script

Man this thread is just huge, too huge to get a good hit while searching on my question.

My question is, what is the consensus on using an EFI partition or not using an EFI partition?

If the EFI partition works do any kexts (or anything else) have to reside on the root disk (outside of the EFI partition)?

If yes, then what is the advantage to the EFI partition?

Thanks,