[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

I tried to edit my Processor info and it gave me this error:

No preferred language ID can be determined for this system!

What does that mean? :)

-Rich-

In order to modify the correct string, the script first needs to find the language you are using. If it were to modify the English string only and you were using Italian, you would never see the correct changes.

What language are you using? And, after attempting the processor info change, would you post for me the Install.log? Menu #17, #4 copy all logs to desktop.

I'm noticing this issue more often and would like to see what's going on. Thanks!

@DarkenedReality

Like your signature. LOL!

Stickman 1: Make me a sandwich

Stickman 2: What?? Go make it yourself.

Stickman 1: Sudo make me a sandwich

Stickman 2: Okay

xkcd_source

regards,

MAJ

I'm releasing script v4.2b as a tryout. Incorporates some major install features that I haven't really been able to fully test (I've run out of optical media.): Preboot CD creation and USB Drive Install

This should allow one to install Snow Leopard natively (from a Snow Leopard boot) as apposed to installing from a Leopard system, where all types of issues crop up and must be resolved.

DOWNLOADS:

X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer version 4.2b

Preboot CD for GA-X58-UD5 or similar

NOTE: In order to ensure maximum compatibility, this Preboot ISO does not contain a DSDT file. Therefore, users will experience the CMOS reset bug on affected motherboards.

SCRIPT UPDATE:

10/25/2009

• Following in the path of many others, we're introducing two new script-enabled install methods: Preboot CD and USB Drive Install. Both items are in menu #14. The installed kexts are found in the Boot_Disk folder inside each Kexts_10.X folder.
    • Preboot CD: Create a ISO or CD with a bootloader and selected kexts that will be used to, first, boot your system, then boot your Mac OS X Install DVD.
    • USB Drive Install: Install a bootloader with selected kexts and clone/restore your Mac OS X DVD or ISO to a USB drive. Boot directly into this USB drive as a Mac OS X installer.

[*] Updated iasl compiler version 20091013 (Oct. 15, 2009) for DSDT patcher. Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0.

[*] Added modified fakesmc.kexts for Snow Leopard and Leopard that allows iStat Menus to report CPU temps.

[*] Added bootloader type/version detection, plus ability to skip overwriting the plists during bootloader install if they are already present.

[*] Added netkas' new PC-EFI v10.5 bootloader.

[*] Added SMcputype and SMbusspeed smbios.plist keys to inject the CPU specs, in case CPU auto-detection is not working on your system. Some software installers require this information (i.e. MS Silverlight). Auto CPU detection is available in the PC-EFI v10.4 bootloader and up. This feature will be introduced in Chameleon later.

[*] Added Default Partition key update to boot.plist on EFI installs so bootloader automatically selects your install partition. Note that this is not always reliable, as drives added or removed can change the disk indentifier. If it changes, you can always edit it in the script's plist editor.

[*] On EFI installs, plist editor now highlights in bold the system partition the boot.plist points to via "boot-uuid" key or kernel flag.

[*] Plist editor now removes "System" boot.plist selection for any partition whose UUID is contained in a boot.plist in that volume's EFI partition.

[*] Made minor change to the way the EFI partition is formatted.

[*] Made change to prevent idisks from appearing during drive selection (I think a internet-boot option would be incredibly slow if it did work. :( )

[*] Fixed a bug where in some conditions the wrong disk identifier would appear in the plist editor.

[*] Script logging method is enhanced. Script will continue to log messages until log file has reached a specified size and, then, it will be rotated.

[*] Removed EFI boot install option from RAID drives.

[*] Added a couple more themes from blackosx. They may need additional work, like resizing, to match your setup.

The front page will be updated when I'm confident script is ready.

Have fun!

regards,

MAJ

Hey hey,

I've given up on 64bit and went back to 32 (not that it matters, just wanted to try :) ).

@MAJ

Great work on V4.2! Going to try the USB install in the morning (can it build 64-bit cache ?).

LOL, the sudo sandwich is one of my favorite xkcd strips (got the shirt :P ).

and another one of my favs:

Why do programmers always mix up Halloween and Christmas?

Because Oct 31 == Dec 25!

:P

Dark D

Digital_Dreamer, as always, 4.2b is a fantastic upgrade to your script. And, as always, thank you.

I'm gonna try the Preboot-cd in a few minutes :(.

But i have a question, nothing to do with your script but...

Well, i have installed snow leopard and i have erased leopard from my system. But now my scanner doesn't work under snow leopard, so i have to reinstall Leopard. To have leopard run on my pc, it needs to get updated to 10.5.8 (because i have a radeon 4870). So i start the script (from within snow leopard) and install leopard. But when i open the 10.5.8 installer, it says it can't install because this is an installer for leopard and i'm in snow leopard. I can't even chose my drive where i want to install the update! So, do you know a way to turn off this check of which OS in the installer?

I now have SL running in 32 bit mode on my P55-UD3R board. What is required to get it going is Qoopz's kernel (zip file is named snow.legacy). I put that kernel in DD'sInstall KernelFolder (renamed to mach_kernel) and ran DD's install script from my X58 machine to the target drive in an external USB case. I also used Netkas PC-EFI v10.5 bootloader. The kexts used are the same ones used for the X58-UD3R install.

The X58-UD3R board install is operating in 64 bit mode. To get networking to function I need both the IOnetworkingfamily and AppleRTL8169ethernet kexts installed in System. Sometimes after a reboot the ethernet resolves to a 169, self assigned IP, to clear that I shut down the computer and remove AC power for a few seconds. After a restart, ethernet usually works correctly.

So with this new USB install method, do you simply have to select item 14, or is it still necessary to go through the other steps?

Ah well I gave it a go and it seemed to start but I get EXACTLY the same problem as every other method I've tried to install.

I get the Apple logo for about 30 seconds as it loads the installer, but then the monitor goes into standby.

My spec is

EX58 -UD3R

i7 920 d0 CPU

GTX 275

I can get an iAktos install on, but this method, or the lifehacker method all end with the same problem :angel:

Any suggestions?

Mmm... Digital_Dreamer, your preboot cd is not working with me... (i have a ga-ex58-ud5 with radeon 4870)

I put the cd in my pc and it boots, when i come to the boot selection menu (preboot cd is the only choice), i swap the media and i press esc (like the instructions tell me). When the cd is loading, i get these messages:

cdboot: init

cdboot: 00000047

cdboot:

and then nothing, it hangs. Also no activity of my cd/dvd reader :S...

I burned the prebootCD.iso with imgburn to my cd without changing anything and i use a Snow Leopard DVD which i bought at the apple store.£

What am i doing wrong?

Mmm... Digital_Dreamer, your preboot cd is not working with me... (i have a ga-ex58-ud5 with radeon 4870)

I put the cd in my pc and it boots, when i come to the boot selection menu (preboot cd is the only choice), i swap the media and i press esc (like the instructions tell me). When the cd is loading, i get these messages:

cdboot:

I burned the prebootCD.iso with imgburn to my cd without changing anything and i use a Snow Leopard DVD which i bought at the apple store.£

What am i doing wrong?

I tried this method as well using the retail DVD. Those message looped over and over again after I hit escape until it picked up the DVD after 20 seconds. At that point it started to boot and then restarted.

Great work on V4.2! Going to try the USB install in the morning (can it build 64-bit cache ?).

<snip>

64-bit has it's advantages and we'll all get there eventually, but I still think it's a bit overrated for some applications. But, from the reports here, it seems sleep only works reliably in 64-bit.

Both the USB drive install and Preboot CD methods actually installs the kexts in a "Extensions" folder. So, no mkext file or boot cache is created or needed, as the bootloader loads the kexts directly.

Digital_Dreamer, as always, 4.2b is a fantastic upgrade to your script. And, as always, thank you.

I'm gonna try the Preboot-cd in a few minutes :angel:.

But i have a question, nothing to do with your script but...

Well, i have installed snow leopard and i have erased leopard from my system. But now my scanner doesn't work under snow leopard, so i have to reinstall Leopard. To have leopard run on my pc, it needs to get updated to 10.5.8 (because i have a radeon 4870). So i start the script (from within snow leopard) and install leopard. But when i open the 10.5.8 installer, it says it can't install because this is an installer for leopard and i'm in snow leopard. I can't even chose my drive where i want to install the update! So, do you know a way to turn off this check of which OS in the installer?

I ran into this exact problem and found that I could update using the 10.5.7 updater, instead. Then, once booted in 10.5.7, you can update to 10.5.8.

I now have SL running in 32 bit mode on my P55-UD3R board. What is required to get it going is Qoopz's kernel (zip file is named snow.legacy). I put that kernel in DD'sInstall KernelFolder (renamed to mach_kernel) and ran DD's install script from my X58 machine to the target drive in an external USB case. I also used Netkas PC-EFI v10.5 bootloader. The kexts used are the same ones used for the X58-UD3R install.

The X58-UD3R board install is operating in 64 bit mode. To get networking to function I need both the IOnetworkingfamily and AppleRTL8169ethernet kexts installed in System. Sometimes after a reboot the ethernet resolves to a 169, self assigned IP, to clear that I shut down the computer and remove AC power for a few seconds. After a restart, ethernet usually works correctly.

Thanks for that info!

So nice to see others willing to try out different things and are willing to experiment, plus, know their way around the system to make it possible.

You and others here contribute much to this informative thread. Hats off to you all.

MAJ

cdboot:

What am i doing wrong?

You probably aren't doing anything wrong. I gotta think about this a bit more.

I tried this method as well using the retail DVD. Those message looped over and over again after I hit escape until it picked up the DVD after 20 seconds. At that point it started to boot and then restarted.

Bummer. Will look into it a bit.

And, this was a SL Retail DVD, too?

MAJ

EDIT: And, both of these Preboot CD boots were from the downloaded ISO, not from the script, correct?

Bummer. Will look into it a bit.

And, this was a SL Retail DVD, too?

MAJ

It was the retail DVD yes.

I get further with the USB method. I can at least get the Apple logo as it loads the install files, but then the monitor switches off! Any idea why that might be?

It was the retail DVD yes.

I get further with the USB method. I can at least get the Apple logo as it loads the install files, but then the monitor switches off! Any idea why that might be?

What graphics card are you using?

I'm making sure no graphics kexts are installed from /Extra, so you should be running in the generic VESA mode.

EDIT: Well, I do have GraphicsEnabler key in boot.plist. I'll remove that.

MAJ

hi

i apologise if this reply is wrong to put here, but i am new to snow leopard installs

i have two internal drives. one used for leopard and one i just made a single partition on for this snow leopard install

i followed the instructions perfectly twice over for the EFI install method

but when it comes to the kext loader part in the patcher, i get stuck. i do not see what i should select but what i do choose is the first option.. 'N' and press enter for normal cache install (whatever this was)

it did not look like it was installing much coz it lasted a second or so.

then it gave me the numbered options again in the main window of the patcher

i was unsure about installing DSDT, but since this is the system im using, i understand it should be installing it., so i did

at time to reboot, i did so, but when putting in -v... etc... it gave me some errors. and just stuck

i am unable to load snow leopard

is there something i missed out. i have this exact same hardware

please if anyone can help much appreciate the time

thank you

I get the Apple logo for about 30 seconds as it loads the installer, but then the monitor goes into standby.

My spec is

EX58 -UD3R

i7 920 d0 CPU

GTX 275

I can get an iAktos install on, but this method, or the lifehacker method all end with the same problem

at my first install of iAtkos/any other distro I had to press F8 to enter boot options of the installer.

type: "busratio=20" and "cpus=1" followed by return in order to get to the installationprocess.

customize your installation and install only the neccessary things. As soon you're booted up at iAtkos you can use D_D's script to do the retail installation.

good luck

In order to modify the correct string, the script first needs to find the language you are using. If it were to modify the English string only and you were using Italian, you would never see the correct changes.

What language are you using? And, after attempting the processor info change, would you post for me the Install.log? Menu #17, #4 copy all logs to desktop.

I'm noticing this issue more often and would like to see what's going on. Thanks!

I'm using English, how do I tell it what language I'm using?? :(

Here's the logs:

###################### X58 PATCHER 4.2b INSTALL LOG ######################

###################### Sun 25 Oct 2009 17:45:46 GMT ######################

Sudo successful!

Running OS version: 10.6 Snow Leopard (10B504)

Working Volume: Snow Leopard (disk0s2)

<==================> Select Drive <==================>

#### diskutil list:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Snow Leopard 999.9 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Time Machine 999.9 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk2

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Snow Leopard Old 499.8 GB disk2s2

Previously saved volume selection: Macalem_i7 - Disk

Saved selection does not appear to be a valid drive!

Gathering disk information...

Check for RAID setup:

No AppleRAID sets found

Number of HFS partitions: 3

1) Snow Leopard - disk0s2

2) Time Machine - disk1s2

3) Snow Leopard Old - disk2s2

Selected drive: Snow Leopard - disk0s2

Install type: Extra

Snow Leopard volume selection saved.

Target OS: 10.6

Snow Leopard = Working Volume!

This volume is the startup drive. Some restrictions will apply.

<==================> Modify Processor Info <==================>

Snow Leopard = Working Volume!

-Rich-

GTX-275

Thanks

Try this updated script. Uncompress and replace the X58_patch_installer.sh file in /~extra with this one.

This changes the boot.plist for the USB drive install.

MAJ

Here's the logs:

-Rich-

Hey, Rich,

Could you run through the Modify Processor Info part of the script and then send me the resulting log. :-D

EDIT: What I mean is: try to make a change to the name.

The languages the script looks for starts at the top of the list in System Preferences/Language & Text/Language. It tries to find the first language in the list that has installed strings.

Although there are over 130 languages to install for OS X, there are only 18 languages that come with the corresponding SystemInfo.strings files that apply to the About This Mac box. If you are using a language that does not include a appropriate SystemInfo.strings file to modify, the script will skip to the next preferred language on the list until it finds one. The 18 default languages are as follows: English, Japanese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Russian, Polish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean.

MAJ

Try this updated script. Uncompress and replace the X58_patch_installer.sh file in /~extra with this one.

This changes the boot.plist for the USB drive install.

MAJ

Wow. Thanks a bunch for spending the time in trying to help me :(

I've made that change and am building a new installer now. I'll let you know in 10 minutes :D

In the meantime, I took a video of how far it gets before crashing with the -v cpus=1 busratio=20 flags that helped me install iatkos

If you pause with about 2 seconds remaining, you can see the last message before the screen goes.

Video is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVgbq6uJVGo

Thanks again.

Here's the logs:

-Rich-

Rich,

I see that the script is not picking up the list of languages, so could you try this little update? Uncompress and replace the original in /~extra.

This isn't a fix, but will spill out more debug messages for me.

Sorry for the hassle.

MAJ

EDIT: RIch,

Are you using EFI strings for that card? The symptom seen on the videos appears to be purely graphics related. The screen goes black, right?

I might try to see if there's a way to add EFI strings for these installs.

I had thought that, at the very least, the generic VESA mode would be running for the video if you didn't have EFI strings set up. I wouldn't know, as I've never had a video card that require one - all ATI stuff.

Does this board runs fully 64 bit?

Great work seen here, I think this is the most complete and detailed tutorial I've seen on the web (for any kind of stuff!)

Are you using EFI strings for that card? The symptom seen on the videos appears to be purely graphics related. The screen goes black, right?

I might try to see if there's a way to add EFI strings for these installs.

I had thought that, at the very least, the generic VESA mode would be running for the video if you didn't have EFI strings set up. I wouldn't know, as I've never had a video card that require one - all ATI stuff.

OK I've tried the updated script with exactly the same problem unfortunately :(

The screen goes black, but it's because the monitor stops receiving input (the power light goes amber). I haven't used any EFI strings so it should be using VESA like you say.

The last line I can see before it goes is about ethernet and giving the MAC address. In case it was related, I've tried again with the network lead out and the NIC disabled in BIOS.

I'm using English, how do I tell it what language I'm using?? :)

-Rich-

I think I might have a idea about this issue. I hazard a guess that when you installed Snow Leopard, you didn't install the extra languages. If so, that would explain why this language list is missing.

So, what I need to do is assume English is the language when the list is missing. I had thought that list was always there, even if it just had one language.

MAJ

OK I've tried the updated script with exactly the same problem unfortunately :(

The screen goes black, but it's because the monitor stops receiving input (the power light goes amber). I haven't used any EFI strings so it should be using VESA like you say.

The last line I can see before it goes is about ethernet and giving the MAC address. In case it was related, I've tried again with the network lead out and the NIC disabled in BIOS.

:(

I believe EFI strings is the trick.

I was going to insert one for you, but can't find one for the 275!

still looking.

MAJ

Update: Just tested sleep again in 32bit, and getting KP after awake !!! Will make more tests to see what happened.

Everything continues to work properly in 64bit mode.

Great success!

Thanks Emilo for your help, and the sixteen processor cores you saw defined (0-9, A-F) in Scope (_PR) were added by the F9E BIOS, possibly for i9 support.

32bit S3 sleep and wake is now working with F9E BIOS and PC EFI 10.5 by redoing my DSDT from scratch by rebooting without a DSDT, getting the latest 20091013 version of iasl from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...189272&st=0, running getDSDT.sh, then `./iasl -d dsdt.dat', editing dsdt.dsl for _WAK and local0 compile warnings, added the DTGP method, and the CMOS, HDEF, IDE[1|2], PX40, and HPET fixes (dsdt_f9e_s3_fixed.dsl attached), then getting dsdt.aml from `./iasl -ta dsdt.dsl'.

My problem was that I had removed the IRQs from the RTC, TMR and PIC devices to solve a stuttering audio problem when loading AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

That kext increased CPU temperature by 20C, so I'm using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext instead.

I can sleep with Apple:Sleep and wake with the KB.

Sleeping again after waking, but not entering my passwd, is possible by pressing a key again.

Kexts in /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions.mkext;

ALC889a.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

Kext added to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/;

RealtekR1000.kext

[mac05:~] me% pmset -g
Active Profiles:
UPS Power		-1
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
hibernatemode	0
sleep		0
powerbutton	1
disksleep	0
hibernatefile	/var/vm/sleepimage
autorestart	1
ttyskeepawake	0
displaysleep	0
[mac05:~] me%

Contents of com.apple.Boot.plist;

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 -v</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Wait</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>(video data)</string>

The UPS shows that I'm using zero watts in sleep (~200 watts after wake), here's the kernel.log;

Oct 25 09:49:45 mac05 kernel[0]: FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6
Oct 25 09:49:46 mac05 kernel[0]: vmnet: bridge-en0: interface en is going DOWN
Oct 25 09:49:47 mac05 kernel[0]: vmmon: powerStateDidChange flags=0x4 (state 2)
Oct 25 09:49:47 mac05 kernel[0]: System Sleep
Oct 25 10:08:56 mac05 kernel[0]: Wake reason = 
Oct 25 10:08:56 mac05 kernel[0]: System Wake
Oct 25 10:08:56 mac05 kernel[0]: vmmon: powerStateDidChange flags=0x82 (state 4)
Oct 25 10:08:56 mac05 kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 0
Oct 25 10:08:56 mac05 kernel[0]: USB (EHCI):Port 3 on bus 0xfa has remote wakeup from some device
Oct 25 10:08:56 mac05 kernel[0]: vmnet: bridge-en0: interface en is coming UP

Automatic sleep doesn't work, but there's a working solution for that at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182535.

dsdt_f9e_s3_fixed.dsl.zip