[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hello,

after security update to Sierra 10.12.4 (16E195) broke my network connections. System not see any ethernet adapters. Anybody knows something about it?

System seeng card, but kext not working.

Realtek 8168/8101E Gigabit Ethernet:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet

Driver Installed: No

MSI: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: Ethernet

Vendor ID: 0x10ec

Device ID: 0x8168

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1458

Subsystem ID: 0xe000

Revision ID: 0x0003

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

This is strange, but i fix it manually install realtek kext to SLE.

No problems here with the same RIG and Realtek8111.kext Version 2.2.1 In EFI/Clover/KEXTS/10.12 from Mieze https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X

:)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You are very brave ROBASEFR!

I fear compatibility with my other drives, dual boot to Windows 10, and especially with Paragon NTFS.

Well I think to use dual boot is brave and specially if you try it with 10.13 :yes:

I tried dual boot for some time ago but I found it DAREDEVIL in practice...... so the brave are not always those who suppose to be... ;)

Dual boot is not problem at all. In this time when ssd disks cost is not to hi make one system on one disk. First disk is with clover and os x and everything working fine. I have 3 systems. OS X 10.12.6, Win 10, and Ubuntu 16.04. I have only problem with Ubuntu, because OS X destroy this system twice. So i hide disk with this system in clover and i'm very happy now :-)

I'm downloading 10.13, and try to update on system copy disk. We see ;-)

Dual boot is not problem at all. In this time when ssd disks cost is not to hi make one system on one disk. First disk is with clover and os x and everything working fine. I have 3 systems. OS X 10.12.6, Win 10, and Ubuntu 16.04. I have only problem with Ubuntu, because OS X destroy this system twice. So i hide disk with this system in clover and i'm very happy now :-)

You are wright !   I meant DUAL boot on one disk ! Sorry for this confusion

Yes, my operating systems are on separate disks as well. Do you use anything to be able to read and write data from macOS disk while using Windows? I currently use Paragon HFS+ to access the disk but think that will no longer work since macOS disk will be AFSP.

Let is know how installing and using Sierra is for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Succes update 10.13.1 on this old MOBO (2009) with Nvidia GTX 970

Hi Robasefr - can i ask what your process for upgrading to High Sierra was?

I have made a bootable USB (tested as working on a real Mac) but I can not get through to the High Sierra install.

I'm wondering did you install afps.efi to your drivers folder in clover? Or did you choose to not covert to the new filesystem by using the following method.  

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

When i try and update via a USB drive I get so far (Verrrrrry slowly) but then it crashes and I get the attached screen.

https://cl.ly/nm04/IMG_5749.JPG  (looks like it loses connection to the USB?)

I'm wondering if it would be worth me trying the USBInjectAll.kext? Do you use this without any clover USB fixes?

Any help appreciated

cos.

Anyone else having any issues booting High Sierra installer?

I have perfectly working Sierra install with just fast, fakesmc & realtek but I'm unable to boot the installer to upgrade to high Sierra.

I'm doing nothing different to what I've done on all the updates - make a boot able USB drive and added texts to "Other" folder and apfs.efi to drivers 64 folder but it just won't get to installer

I successfully updated to 10.13.1! I did a lot of research and because of my particular set-up I decided to install without APFS. Piker Alpha, whom I trust implicitly, has said that no hackintosh user should update to APFS but I am sure your mileage will vary (https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/do-i-use-apfs/) This assured me of compatibility. So far I haven't had any issues with any of my software although I did have to update a lot of it because of HS.

Did you make a boot able drive to update or did you update via appstore and use the startosinstall --converttoapfs NO flag method.

I just can't seem to update anything. If I update my free ssd (intended for high Sierra) from my Sierra install and restart I get a prohibited sign. If I try to clean install from USB it just stalls on the apple logo.

?

I simply updated the boot drive using the startosinstall --converttoapfs NO tag.

If you do that, you do not need the apfs.efi anywhere BTW.

Hey!

I did a wipe of my spare SSD and installed Sierra with no problem using my trusty old dsdt, clover config, and just Realtek81xx.kexf and fakesmc. All worked perfectly.

Downloaded High Sierra installer and installed using startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

Rebooted (no apfs.efi in drivers64) and get the prohibited sign and can’t get through to the installer!!?

Anyone have any ideas what it can be? -v on boot shows some usbhost messages then all text gets garbled and the prohibited sign shows. Is understand if I was booting from a usb stick but this is a SATA disc.

I’m out of ideas. Can anyone who’s successfully updated on UD5 post their config.plist, Kexts and dsdt etc (basically your efi folder without your serial number etc)so I can try more troubleshooting.

Many thanks.

? interesting. I might need to try and install el capitan on my spare ssd and see if I can update directly to high Sierra.

Can I ask what your kexts are?

And thanks again for helping out. This thread used to be so busy but I guess our old boards are starting to show their age!

interesting. I might need to try and install el capitan on my spare ssd and see if I can update directly to high Sierra.

Can I ask what your kexts are?

And thanks again for helping out. This thread used to be so busy but I guess our old boards are starting to show their age!

In Other:
ACPISensors.kext
CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
GPUSensors.kext
LPCSensors.kext

and realtekALC.kext in 10.4 folder

In Other:

ACPISensors.kext

CPUSensors.kext

FakeSMC.kext

GPUSensors.kext

LPCSensors.kext

and realtekALC.kext in 10.4 folder

Thanks for the reply. That’s strange – afaik the fakesmc is the only essential Kext there. The others are for hw monitoring purposes.

You have a slightly different board to me - a UD4 and I have a UD5 but could you share you’re confit.plist so I can compare ( remove your serial etc)

The only last thing I can think is that the ssd I’m trying to install is a little old and somehow not compatible with high sierra.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Having the same issue (getting the prohibited sign as well).

I tried both to install directly (running the Install High Sierra from the Application folder) and by creating an installer like I usually do on a spare external hard drive (eSata).

I was able to load the installer only once from the external hard drive but then, I could not see any of my internal hard drives when it was time to select the install location. Was not able to reboot it again for some reason.

I then switched to a spare internal hard drive to setup the bootable installer. I'm using the latest version of Clover and tried both to load from my existing/working Sierra clover config and a generic one. Both failed to boot the installer (prohibited sign again).

Tried removing all kext except FakeSMC, reinstalling Clover with different options (using SATA instead of BiosBlockIO)... Nothing seems to work. Boot always stalls after a whole bunch of AppleUSBHostResources@ messages.

I didn't try launching the installer without apfs yet.

Tried with kext installed in CLOVER/kexts/other or CLOVER/kexts/10.13 without success.

Could anyone with a working High Sierra setup on an UD5 board share their clover config and clover installation options?

My box:

EX58-UD5

CPU: i7-990X

GPU: nVidia GTX 670

I see a lot of reports of issues with nVidia GPUs and High Sierra. I am starting to suspect that this may be related to my problem. Out of curiosity, are any of the other seeing the prohibited sign using an nvidia GPU?

Thanks!

Colddiver

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took the plunge to upgrade to high sierra, to get the meltdown protection.

Was able to get it going thanks to afrobaser's, info and files.

I decided to make a boot disk first to make sure i had got my clover settings and kexts compatible with 10.13

I found i needed to use the fakesmc and realtek nic kexts from afrobaser as the ones i was where using did not work.

These are all i need as i get sound via dood DSDT patch.

I then statred the imstall form the command line setting to not convert to APFS.

This then worked and the upgrade booted fine.

However my WD HDD would juts not mount at all under 10.13, under 10.11, and 10.7 it was still fine.

i ended up replacing it with a seagate drive. not sure if the WD was on the way out, or some strange firmware type issues with 10.13.

Anyway thanks agian to afrobaser for his posts and files on this thread. 

Really impressed how this rig keeps going. upgraded the graphics, memory and drives over the years but it keeps working well!

• Like 2

Hello all,

I decided to upgrade my Mobo and CPU after all the trouble I had booting the High Sierra installer. If anybody wants a 6-core/12 thread 990X chip (compatible with the GA-EX58-UD5 and 3 motherboards), message me privately and we'll negotiate something. I went for a Coffee Lake built (i7 8700K) still with an nVidia card (Geekbench score went from 15000 to 25000 and the overall build is fairly snappy).

I ran into all kinds of issues with the nVidia card on this build as well. Having access to an iGPU made things a little bit easier to manage though and I think some of the fixes I had to apply on the new build could apply here as well...

To boot into High Sierra with my nVidia card (1070 Ti), I needed the following (on the new build):

1. kexts (in CLOVER/kexts/Other:
    1. FakeSMC
    2. Lilu
    3. NvidiaGraphicsFixup
    4. Shiki
  2. Clover config:
    1. boot flags: shikigva=12, -disablegfxfirmware=12
    2. graphics: ig-platform-id=0x59120003
    3. SMBIOS: iMac18,3
    4. System Parameters: NvidiaWeb turned on

Colddiver

• 2 months later...