[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

As for dsdt, I'm using d00d's premodified dsdt.aml (this one), but I also recently dared to venture into modifying it myself to fix the sound after I updated to the newer LegacyHDA mentioned in his guide (I was hoping to get my front headphone jack working, but still no luck with that... I might've plugged it in wrong on the motherboard, or it might be broken).

Mind you, in the time that I was using the older sound kext (I used d00d's guide before too) I had to manually switch the sound output to the front. So before you go through the hassle of reinstalling/re-hacking, check your System Settings. In some cases you need to switch to 'headphones' when you plug them in. The LegacyHDA I'm using with DD's script now switches output itself.

Hey guys,

Quick question. I've been having some beachball issues within the past week or so and can't seem to figure out why. Two main things in my rig have changed since it started, first being the update to 10.6.6 and the other is that I added a new HDD with a windows 7 install into my case.

Any dual booters or anyone have any idea what the hell I could be doing wrong?

Thanks guys,

Maiatico6

The most obvious thing to rule out your Win7 HDD is to simply disconnect (or disable in BIOS if you can) the Win7 HDD and see if the beach ball problem still persists.

I've gone back to 3.05 to (re)enable sensors. This seems to be the best version for our machines.

Whilst researching the missing sensors issue, I stumbled on some work being done on FakeSMC to enable all sorts of monitoring sensors. Unfortunately most of it was over my head but I was wondering if anyone (Cruisar/D_D) were aware of this development? My understanding is it would enable various hardware sensors (through additional plugins) and an updated FakeSMC.

Yeah I have been aware of the progress of sensor monitoring with fakeSMC but since I hate having third party kexts in my S/L/E I opted not to use it. istatPro does the necessary monitoring I need at the moment.

I think sidewinder is using the sensor monitoring version of FakeSMC so you can contact him if you want more info.

Cheers

Charles

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 1/15/2010 - version 5.1

• Added ability to change the "OSBundleRequired" string (mkext filter) of various kexts (including their PlugIns). While in Kext/Kernel Installer or Update Boot Caches, one can enter the number of the kext in the list, followed by a separator (space, colon, or hyphen), followed by the desired string (e.g. Root, Local-Root, etc.)
  • Added ability to change the "CFBundleVersion" string (version number) of various kexts. While in Kext/Kernel Installer or Update Boot Caches, one can enter the number of the kext in the list, followed by a separator (space, colon, or hyphen), followed by the desired number string (e.g. 9.99, 2.00b2, etc.)
  • Added ability to visibly observe any kexts that will not make it into boot cache in Kext Installer and Boot Cache updater. Script monitors if "OSBundleRequired" string in the kext's plist is "Root" or "Local-Root." If this condition is not met, the kext is highlighted in yellow.
  • Added ability to visibly observe when a kext installed or to be installed in /Extra has a equivalent Apple version already installed in /System (e.g. IONetworkingFamily.kext, AppleHDA.kext, etc.), and this includes any kext Plugins. The script will highlight the /Extra kext's version number in purple and display a "greater than", "less than", or "equal" symbol, depending on its relationship to the one in /System. Additionally, the log will note the version numbers of both competing kexts. This will aid users who may notice the kernel log reporting a kext version already loaded (typically in /Extra) and another one being ignored (in /System).
  • Reworked the text color scheme in the Kext Installer and Boot Cache Updater so that the colors are more consistent, predictable, and provides reliable information to the user. The color codes are as follows:
    GREEN: Kexts that are being moved, installed, or removed.
    BLUE: Kexts that the script has flagged to be installed into /System, instead of /Extra. These are kexts without the proper "OSBundleRequired" string needed to create a boot cache. They may also include 64-bit kexts that the Leopard OS cannot create a boot cache for.
    YELLOW or RED: Kexts that cannot be installed in the current destination without errors. This may happen if the user attempts to change the default destination.
    PURPLE: Kexts or other data presented For Your Information.
  • Reworked View Partitions routine again, particularly for RAID partitions, so that folder attributes, like view settings and icon positions, are retained. Permissions needed to be set so that the DS_Store file, where such attributes are stored, could be created and modified in the Finder. Now, folders will retain such attributes and not force users to keep changing them when viewing partitions.
  • Numerous improvements made to catching failed boot cache builds of individual kexts when running Snow Leopard over a Leopard install, Snow Leopard over Snow Leopard, Leopard over Leopard, and Leopard over Snow Leopard installs. Boot cache logging from the OS varies in all these scenarios, making the process of parsing the logs for errors a bit complicated. (I have not bothered adding extra code for catching errors in combo cache builds for Leopard OS.) A good example is the IONetworkingFamily.kext, where the stock kext is never built into the System boot cache due to having the "OSBundleRequired" string of "Network-Root." The script needs to be able to ignore this kext's behavior, while still observing correctly a IONetworkingFamily.kext in /Extra failing for the exact same reason - because the "OSBundleRequired" string has not been modified to "Root" or "Local-Root."
  • Script now mounts EFI and RAID helper partitions invisibly, using the "nobrowse" flag. This helps tremendously in keeping the Finder from interfering and littering the Desktop with pseudo folders, because the script was unmounting the partition before the Finder was finished with it.
  • Fixed a major Apple RAID issue where kext installs or boot cache updates would fail with multiple files not getting copied over. I had run into this issue on a number of occasions and concluded that the RAID helper partition was getting unmounted in the middle of the copying, but, until now, had not determined why this was happening. This was very frustrating, needless to say. What happens, however, is that after the script has created a system boot cache (from S/L/E), the OS will then update the boot cache on the RAID helper partition in the background. This occurs about 4 seconds, on average, after the system boot cache is created, with the helper partition normally mounted invisibly (with "nobrowse" flag). After this boot cache is completed, the OS then unmounts the helper partition while the script is still merrily copying files for the RAID setup. Big ouch. Now, the script will wait until the OS has completed the boot cache update on the helper partition before proceeding with its tasks. In some cases, the RAID boot cache will not be updated by the OS. In this scenario, the script will timeout (about 15 seconds) and move on with its job.
    The only way to avoid this waiting situation is to 1) have different names for all the RAID helper partitions, and 2) have the script work on a partition other than the one the OS is currently working on. This way the mounted partition paths don't interfere with each other and can work concurrently. Although I may consider this option at some future time, it'll be a bit of work to set up.
  • Fixed an issue where the script would hang if a RAID slice disappeared just prior to running the script.
  • Fixed an issue where the RAID info would not be updated when exiting out of the View Partition routine.
  • Reworked bootloader detection routine to detect basically any bootloader by extracting the Darwin/x86 version string contained within the boot file. Just a reminder: The script only notes the presence of the boot file (2nd stage booter) at the root directory of the boot volume. It never checks for the presence of the boot0 and boot1h files that are required to load the 2nd stage boot file. So, if you have erased and restored/cloned a install and the script "says" a particular bootloader is installed on that volume, this only refers to the 2nd stage boot file, the only one I'm able to check. The booting of that install will consequently fail, until you reinstall the bootloader, which copies the boot0 and boot1h files to the boot sector.
  • Added updated SleepEnabler.kext, which uses the same "pmVersion=21" kernel flag as 10.6.5.
  • Fixed an issue where kexts in /Extra that failed during combo builds were not properly caught and logged. This turned out to be a rather tricky and complicated issue to solve, as you needed to distinguish a failed kext in /Extra from one in /System when they had the same name in the log.
  • Fixed an issue where a kext directory in /Extra would not be renamed properly when selecting it from the drive list.
  • Fixed an issue where the script would be confused when one attempted to change both the Install Type (EFI or Extra) and Kext Loading mode (boot cache or Extensions directory).
  • Updated the Chameleon 2.0 RC5 bootloader to revision 702.
  • Updated script with diskutil appleRAID list command, as diskutil listRAID is depreciated in Snow Leopard.
  • Updated "buildcache" shell alias to version 11, incorporating a few enhancements. (This script facilitates building the boot caches in Single-User mode.)
  • Added a "Boot Camp" theme made by IonT: BootCamp169
  • Updated ASL Optimizing Compiler for DSDT patcher to version 20101209 (Dec. 9, 2010). This DSDT compilier catches a new error in our boards: Invalid IDs where non-hex letters are in lowercase. This occurs in just one place where Nvidia's SLI info is included. I've updated the DSDT routine to fix this error.

kind regards,

MAJ

Mind you, in the time that I was using the older sound kext (I used d00d's guide before too) I had to manually switch the sound output to the front. So before you go through the hassle of reinstalling/re-hacking, check your System Settings. In some cases you need to switch to 'headphones' when you plug them in. The LegacyHDA I'm using with DD's script now switches output itself.

The most obvious thing to rule out your Win7 HDD is to simply disconnect (or disable in BIOS if you can) the Win7 HDD and see if the beach ball problem still persists.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it doesn't work.

I don't really need this to work, but it's annoying to be so close to a 100% working system, I just want to do it for the hell of it.

Are you using a modified dsdt with the legacyhda you're using now? If so, could you post your "Device (HDEF)" section?

---

EDIT: I just tried opening up my case again and noticed I had AC97 plugged in and not HD Audio, so I changed that and tried again and guess what? Now it notices the headphones. But now there's another problem: it makes crackling noises that change when I turn the plug around. Interference? Problem with the actual plug? I have no problem with the green sound out on the back.

Maybe it's time I just plunk down 10 bucks and buy a usb sound stick :)

---

P.S. On a different topic, I ran the latest version of DD's script, since he seems to have fixed all the raid bugs now and it's much easier to let the script install a new bootloader than doing it manually. Installed r702 on my apple raid and it boots up just fine. Thanks for all your hard work Maj!

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 1/15/2010 - version 5.1

Great update D_D! Amazing work!

To be clear: with the new sleepenabler your script is 'officially' updated to work on 10.6.6, right? :star_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions, but it doesn't work.

I don't really need this to work, but it's annoying to be so close to a 100% working system, I just want to do it for the hell of it.

Are you using a modified dsdt with the legacyhda you're using now? If so, could you post your "Device (HDEF)" section?

---

EDIT: I just tried opening up my case again and noticed I had AC97 plugged in and not HD Audio, so I changed that and tried again and guess what? Now it notices the headphones. But now there's another problem: it makes crackling noises that change when I turn the plug around. Interference? Problem with the actual plug? I have no problem with the green sound out on the back.

Maybe it's time I just plunk down 10 bucks and buy a usb sound stick :D

---

P.S. On a different topic, I ran the latest version of DD's script, since he seems to have fixed all the raid bugs now and it's much easier to let the script install a new bootloader than doing it manually. Installed r702 on my apple raid and it boots up just fine. Thanks for all your hard work Maj!

Hehe, I had the same problem as you. I had AC97 plugged in as I would normally do when I used to build my PC's. Anyhow, good that you managed to fix it quickly and easily.

And, yeah, installing the new bootloader with D_D's script is so much easier :P

To be clear: with the new sleepenabler your script is 'officially' updated to work on 10.6.6, right? :P

Well, actually, although I'm running 10.6.6, I've never tested the latest sleepenabler kext. :) I'm just going by the latest downloads and reports. So, if it doesn't work, report back to me, will'ya? tongue.gif

I don't use sleep, because my GPU doesn't support it.

Remember to use the same pmVersion=21 as 10.6.5.

MA

P.S. Just to be clear, if I wasn't so clear: The included sleepenabler kext is the latest and official release for 10.6.6.

I was wondering how many of you with the ex58-ud5 are running this build with 10.6.5 or 10.6.6 exactly as it sets up all by defaults.

I ask, because of after over a year of perfect 10.6.2 10.6.4 without even a blink (okay, a KP here and there, mostly when using parallels with win7 and doing something intensive that shouldn't have been done), I then simply updated the combo 10.6.5 and everything went south. I dont have the issues of the machine kernel panicing randomly through out the day, its useable while I am at work, but when I leave for the day, I return the next morning to my monitors in power save, and the machine on but locked up. I dont set me machine to sleep, and my monitors have been set to sleep at 3 hours, although I have turned that off in an attempt to catch it when I get in, but of course, the monitors loose signal and power down them selfs (not that I would catch anything).

I've tried 10.6.5 with Kakewalk, and with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], I get the same results, although on the multbeast I get KP's randomly throughout the day.

Im running bios r12, 2 1-tb fw drives on a 1394a/b pcie-x1 card, a gt8800 graphics card, 16gb of memory. I have 4 onboard sata drives (1 80ssd for the os, 1-600 gb for my data (symlinks from my profile on the ssd point to this drive for Downloads/Documents, etc, etc), and a 1tb to time machine the both of them. and like I said, 2 1tb my books that are basically attached because they can be.

I've messed with them for days, doing fresh installs and copying my profile, fresh installs and NOT copying my profile, same {censored} happens, KP's in the 10-24 hours of being idle, system not set to sleep, etc,, etc.

I've restored to 10.6.4 with timemachine and rebuilt my boot with c2rc3/aslr1.9 and again my machine is up and been up the last week.

I have really no way to explain it. About the only time I had any luck for more than 1 day was with a fresh install via the script, and then not migrating ANY of my old data and starting over. That ran for a few days so then I ran migration master and migrated from my working 10.6.4 disk and it crashed all over again. I cant remember which boot loader I used, I know I DIDNT use PC-EFI10.5//10.6, but not sure. Realizing it might be something with my profile I have tried to "reproduce" these results, a fresh install, no migration of data, but moving up the list of installers, I must have not yet found it, as when I came in today, machine was hosed.

Also, ddst, I have been running one since Feb 2010, when I updated to bios f12, I downloaded the ddst from tonymac, should I be using the scripts ddst patcher or just use the one I got from tony's database?

I've been using my working 10.6.4 off ssd to run the script and install all my tests to a esata drive for testing, just after the last two weeks, I figured Id ask some questions. Just about the only thing I have not done is go into bios and set it to optimal and make the minimal changes, I had some light tweaking of the bios in play. But again, 10.6.4 had been up since combo update until Dec 17th when I decided to upgrade, I dont think the machine had even been rebooted in 45 days or so up to this point, I dont run safari, so I wasn't taking those updates, nor itunes.

Anyways, maybe someone has some pointers. oh ya, I beleive my 10.6.4 install was built using kakewalk 2.2 if that matters, but kakewalks 3.1 does the same stuff, crashes randomly, not even giving me until the overnight.

weird, just weird.

Thanks

septicdeath,

Sounds frustrating.

Do you have a screensaver that kicks in on idle time and works okay?

Although you have sleep disabled, something IS going to sleep or going berserk on idle.

Have you tried creating a new account on the machine and leaving it logged in that account for the night, but logged out of the other? This will help determine if the problem is related to your account and home directories or system wide.

I'd try the system.log or kernel.log for some clues.

Also, I'm a bit wary of using DSDT files that aren't from the host machine. Although, the DSDT file may be from the same board and BIOS version, there can be other hardware included, omitted or changed that can affect stability. Some DSDT files, like the one CruiSAr uses, are stripped down to bare necessities, so potential problems are kept to a minimum. Of course, I'm not saying this is the problem, as it could easily have no affect in your situation.

best of wishes,

MAJ

septicdeath,

Sounds frustrating.

Do you have a screensaver that kicks in on idle time and works okay?

Although you have sleep disabled, something IS going to sleep or going berserk on idle.

Have you tried creating a new account on the machine and leaving it logged in that account for the night, but logged out of the other? This will help determine if the problem is related to your account and home directories or system wide.

I'd try the system.log or kernel.log for some clues.

Also, I'm a bit wary of using DSDT files that aren't from the host machine. Although, the DSDT file may be from the same board and BIOS version, there can be other hardware included, omitted or changed that can affect stability. Some DSDT files, like the one CruiSAr uses, are stripped down to bare necessities, so potential problems are kept to a minimum. Of course, I'm not saying this is the problem, as it could easily have no affect in your situation.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Thanks for your info, so your DST utility actually extracts from my current system (utilizing all my drives, my firewire card, etc, etc) and patches it. I can only assume that this makes the most sense. I was however running 10.6.4 with only 2 extensions and the dsdt I had, fakesmc and jmicron36ata (nothing else) and sound and everything was working, so I thought it was a good DSDT.

You script wants to install quite a few more kexts, but hell, if it works.

also, seems that I have much more luck with one boot loader than the next, your script doesn't really make a "suggested" one to use, If I dont have a dsdt it says to use netkas, but obviously I have one for the host os that is being used to install your stuff, as well as after I run the patcher, so that make no sense. Any suggestions?

SD

When I get to work on Monday, I will do a new install, leaving all "importation: from my other system (via migration manager) untouched and see what happens, I have plenty of disk, sp just about every app/util I use I have on the work network and can re-install vs migrate. Again, I kind of did this, and depending on the booter, it crashed right off the bat, I think the aseres 1.1.9 /Camelon Combo you provide was the most stable, but I forget and will have to do it all over agagin, and with 1 day wait in-between tests, well, will update when I can.

thanks

A couple questions:

I just installed Snow Leopard for the first time on this same rig that's been running 10.5.7 flawlessly. (UD5 board with i7 920, GeForce GTS 250 w/ EFI string, nothing connected to jMicron ports, etc).

The default script has the kernel flag "arch=i386". I gather that this is forcing 32-bit mode. Is this necessary? Quick scanning of this thread indicates people's primary obstacles are audio drivers and network drivers-- anything else I should be concerned about?

EDIT-- Sleep seems to be working now-- not sure what I did to get it working (didn't do much tinkering).

I'll start playing with 64-bit mode-- do I simply need to remove the arch=i386 flag? Will the system automatically default to 64-bit mode then?

post-28826-1295081431_thumb.png

I was wondering how many of you with the ex58-ud5 are running this build with 10.6.5 or 10.6.6 exactly as it sets up all by defaults.

...problems...

Thanks

Sounds frustrating indeed, after several tries with default setups... In case you are experiencing such random and annoying problems I would strip down to the bare minimum, then slowly build up to see where the problem introduces itself. Also, be sure to turn off the auto-sleep options (including sleeping HDD's) in the Energy settings. It's an obvious thing, but I'm just saying it to be sure.

So, I'm sure you've thought about it, but you could try to trip out your PCI-e card and disconnect all but one (clean) hard drive. Then, use D_D's script/guide to create a USB memory stick Boot Disk (quickest method in my opinion). The next step would be to install OSX through that USB Boot Disk on your clean hard drive.

Don't copy over any of your files, yet. I actually recommend not doing that at all, just manually copy over your files and maybe some crucial Library files such as e-mail and address book. I've stopped copying over my complete profile to new installations. It's great when you actually have a mac or time machine, but on a hackintosh it just creates an unstable situation where you don't know where to find the cause of your problems.

After installation, test your new setup for a while (does everything work? Sleep?), take your time to update to 10.6.6 and maybe start installing some of the apps you use. When you feel like things are stable, start plugging in some hard drives and afterwards try to put your PCI-e card back in. Keep this setup idle overnight to see if you have the same problem. I'm sure that when you build up slowly, you will notice where things go bonkers.

Good luck :superman:

A couple questions:

I just installed Snow Leopard for the first time on this same rig that's been running 10.5.7 flawlessly. (UD5 board with i7 920, GeForce GTS 250 w/ EFI string, nothing connected to jMicron ports, etc).

The default script has the kernel flag "arch=i386". I gather that this is forcing 32-bit mode. Is this necessary? Quick scanning of this thread indicates people's primary obstacles are audio drivers and network drivers-- anything else I should be concerned about?

EDIT-- Sleep seems to be working now-- not sure what I did to get it working (didn't do much tinkering).

I'll start playing with 64-bit mode-- do I simply need to remove the arch=i386 flag? Will the system automatically default to 64-bit mode then?

I have the exact same setup as you (including GPU) so in case you have problems, contact me. As for the 64-bit mode, you should question yourself whether you actually need it... Sure, 64-bit sounds/feels more awesome, but in a lot of cases you don't need it (2GB+ RAM allocation). Furthermore, it is possible for apps to run in 64-bit while OSX just runs under 32-bit.

So if you still feel like going 64-bit, first make sure that all the kexts you are using are capable of doing that. The latest SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.6 is known for NOT being 64-bit (or is there already an update out?). In case you don't know, you can always try to boot and see if it works by trial and error. But before you put the boot flag in your .plist permanently, it is good to try booting with a temporary boot flag like D_D also suggests in his guide. You do this by simply start typing the wanted boot flag when Chameleon is showing at boot.

The flag for 64-bit mode is: arch=x86_64

I have the exact same setup as you (including GPU) so in case you have problems, contact me. As for the 64-bit mode, you should question yourself whether you actually need it... Sure, 64-bit sounds/feels more awesome, but in a lot of cases you don't need it (2GB+ RAM allocation). Furthermore, it is possible for apps to run in 64-bit while OSX just runs under 32-bit.

So if you still feel like going 64-bit, first make sure that all the kexts you are using are capable of doing that. The latest SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.6 is known for NOT being 64-bit (or is there already an update out?). In case you don't know, you can always try to boot and see if it works by trial and error. But before you put the boot flag in your .plist permanently, it is good to try booting with a temporary boot flag like D_D also suggests in his guide. You do this by simply start typing the wanted boot flag when Chameleon is showing at boot.

Thank you so much for your response. Firstly, I think I was under the mistaken impression that, if and when I decide to upgrade my Adobe Creative Suite to CS5 or beyond, I would need to be running A) Snow Leopard and B) a 64-bit operating system / kernel. It sounds like they stressed the "64-bit" issue more for the Windows counterpart than the Mac, because a page I found on Adobe made it clear that even Leopard should be able to run those apps with its 32-bit kernel.

"With any current computer, there is no disadvantage to running the 32-bit kernel. Running the 32-bit kernel will not change which applications you can run, and it will not change how much address space your 64-bit applications can have."

So would you agree then, there's no real advantage to running 64-bit? I may leave well enough alone if that's the case.

However, if I did decide to tinker-- if I enter that flag at the start up (when Chameleon is showing) -- will it override the flag in the boot.plist that's forcing 32-bit right now? Thanks again for your help. It's been at least a year and a half since I really dove into this stuff :)

I have this motherboard Gigabyte GA EX58-UD5

CPU Intel 7 920@2.67 GHz.

Just wanted to ask you, guys, if is worth to buy this :

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/efi-x-efi...opard,7287.html

Because i don't know how to modify in BIOS all the settings, for installing OSX

I read on the beginning on this thread, but i find it very complicate, somehow.

Please tell me if is a good idea to buy this EFI-X 1.1 + SL Retail.

Would that work with EFI-X 1.1 , without modifing my BIOS ?

Thanks in advance.

Glad to see a new version of your wonderful script but the link of last version is not working ;)

I don't see a problem. :-/ What happens when clicking on the link?

I have this motherboard Gigabyte GA EX58-UD5

CPU Intel 7 920@2.67 GHz.

Just wanted to ask you, guys, if is worth to buy this :

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/efi-x-efi...opard,7287.html

Because i don't know how to modify in BIOS all the settings, for installing OSX

I read on the beginning on this thread, but i find it very complicate, somehow.

Please tell me if is a good idea to buy this EFI-X 1.1 + SL Retail.

Would that work with EFI-X 1.1 , without modifing my BIOS ?

Thanks in advance.

Setup of the BIOS for OS X operation is trivial. The only thing of real concern is making sure SATA is set for AHCI mode and getting the boot priority right, if you have multiple OS drives.

Additionally, EFI-X has its own support forum where you may find the answers you're looking for.

best regards,

MAJ

I don't see a problem. :-/ What happens when clicking on the link?

Setup of the BIOS for OS X operation is trivial. The only thing of real concern is making sure SATA is set for AHCI mode and getting the boot priority right, if you have multiple OS drives.

Additionally, EFI-X has its own support forum where you may find the answers you're looking for.

best regards,

MAJ

But i tried with AHCI, too, some time ago.

Didn't work. I have 2 harddrives in my PC. I really want to get OSX on my computer.

Somewhere is a setting from BIOS, and i cannot find out which

Didn't work. I have 2 harddrives in my PC. I really want to get OSX on my computer.

I dont see what is so difficult in making sure that the settings in your bios match that of the one DD has in the screen shot in the first post. I think the issue here is probably your bad interpretation of the english language (no offence meant).

This guide is more like a copy and paste thing so I dont see where one can go wrong. I honestly dont think you need Efi-X, its basically a useless product in my opinion, you have a good motherboard and a good proessor and with the needed kexts, you will be up and running in no time.

All the best of luck

Charles

"Didn't work" doesn't really give us any information to go on. You're going to have to, at least, meet us halfway by providing all details from your end. What's happening at boot time? Can you get into the bootloader? Are you booting in "verbose" mode (-v) to see the progress? Does it "hang" at boot with no visible progress? The more details you provide, the better we can zero in on the culprit.

The FAQs on the front page discusses many of the common issues in boot failures.

MAJ

Thank you so much for your response. Firstly, I think I was under the mistaken impression that, if and when I decide to upgrade my Adobe Creative Suite to CS5 or beyond, I would need to be running A) Snow Leopard and :) a 64-bit operating system / kernel. It sounds like they stressed the "64-bit" issue more for the Windows counterpart than the Mac, because a page I found on Adobe made it clear that even Leopard should be able to run those apps with its 32-bit kernel.

"With any current computer, there is no disadvantage to running the 32-bit kernel. Running the 32-bit kernel will not change which applications you can run, and it will not change how much address space your 64-bit applications can have."

So would you agree then, there's no real advantage to running 64-bit? I may leave well enough alone if that's the case.

However, if I did decide to tinker-- if I enter that flag at the start up (when Chameleon is showing) -- will it override the flag in the boot.plist that's forcing 32-bit right now? Thanks again for your help. It's been at least a year and a half since I really dove into this stuff :P

Sorry for the late answer, but: no it doesn't matter if you run under 32-bit. I'm not an expert though, so I am probably wrong. Nevertheless, I haven't had any difficulties or problems with a slow running OSX under 32-bit. I run CS5 and I can see in my Activity Monitor that it is running in 64-bit.

Yes, defining a boot flag when booting overrides your boot.plist once.

I need some help making my system stable. I have used this script method since before snow leopard came out, and it has always worked fine. Recently though, my system has been having issues. It sometimes won't come out of sleep, randomly reboots, or applications stop responding.

I had a perfectly stable 10.6.2 install running, and then I purchased an OCZ SSD and did a fresh install of 10.6.6 (that's where I'm having the problems). My system acts the same whether it's overclocked or stock. Even at stock speeds and voltages, it will still randomly reboot. Windows and Ubuntu don't have any issues.

I'm installing the following kexts from the script:

1) IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext 1.1.1 N/A 4K /Extra

2) JMicron36xSATA.kext 0.7 N/A 8K /Extra

3) JMicronATA.kext 1.0.0 x86_64 180K /Extra

Audio

4) HDAEnabler.kext 1.0.0d1 x86_64 108K /Extra

5) LegacyHDA.kext 888 N/A 72K /Extra

Graphics

6) ATY_Init.kext 1.0.0d1 i386 540K /Extra

7) LegacyATI4800Controller.kext 9.0.2 N/A 4K /Extra

Networking

8) IONetworkingFamily.kext 1.9 x86_64 3.7M /Extra

Misc Patches

9) fakesmc.kext 2 x86_64 124K /Extra

10) NullCPUPowerManagement.kext 1.0.2 x86_64 80K /Extra

11) OpenHaltRestart.kext 2.1.0 x86_64 100K /Extra

12) PlatformUUID.kext 1.0.0 x86_64 104K /Extra

13) SleepEnabler.kext 10.5.0 x86_64 72K /Extra

Anyone else experienced this? I use this desktop for work, so it's annoying me! Thanks

I need some help making my system stable. I have used this script method since before snow leopard came out, and it has always worked fine. Recently though, my system has been having issues. It sometimes won't come out of sleep, randomly reboots, or applications stop responding.

I had a perfectly stable 10.6.2 install running, and then I purchased an OCZ SSD and did a fresh install of 10.6.6 (that's where I'm having the problems). My system acts the same whether it's overclocked or stock. Even at stock speeds and voltages, it will still randomly reboot. Windows and Ubuntu don't have any issues.

I'm installing the following kexts from the script:

1) IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext 1.1.1 N/A 4K /Extra

2) JMicron36xSATA.kext 0.7 N/A 8K /Extra

3) JMicronATA.kext 1.0.0 x86_64 180K /Extra

Audio

4) HDAEnabler.kext 1.0.0d1 x86_64 108K /Extra

5) LegacyHDA.kext 888 N/A 72K /Extra

Graphics

6) ATY_Init.kext 1.0.0d1 i386 540K /Extra

7) LegacyATI4800Controller.kext 9.0.2 N/A 4K /Extra

Networking

8) IONetworkingFamily.kext 1.9 x86_64 3.7M /Extra

Misc Patches

9) fakesmc.kext 2 x86_64 124K /Extra

10) NullCPUPowerManagement.kext 1.0.2 x86_64 80K /Extra

11) OpenHaltRestart.kext 2.1.0 x86_64 100K /Extra

12) PlatformUUID.kext 1.0.0 x86_64 104K /Extra

13) SleepEnabler.kext 10.5.0 x86_64 72K /Extra

Anyone else experienced this? I use this desktop for work, so it's annoying me! Thanks

Maybe you could try running with as little kexts as possible? Like D_D said in his first post:

All that's really needed to boot into OS X on this board is a disabler (i.e. Disabler.kext or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.), a decryptor (i.e. fakesmc.kext or dsmos.kext) and graphics support. If your card is one Apple makes available, then it should work OOTB or with EFI strings. That's it. Everything else are little fixes for hardware reporting, updated device IDs, audio, network, etc. In my case, I also needed the ATY_init.kext for ATI graphics card support, as without it I just got video corruption and couldn't see the desktop.

Questions from my end:

1. How come I see CPU temps in the iStat widget only and not in iStat menu's? I know this is more of a question for iStat makers, but since I'm running my system on D_D's script...

2. Does anybody know why the installation of CUDA drivers (I think it is this) broke my sleep? Now the monitor goes off and the fans spin up but the system never cuts power. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to fix this? Never mind, I think it was a faulty installation of Remote Desktop causing this. Also, I installed the latest stable driver build and not the developer build. After this the sleep problem was gone.

Sounds frustrating indeed, after several tries with default setups... In case you are experiencing such random and annoying problems I would strip down to the bare minimum, then slowly build up to see where the problem introduces itself. Also, be sure to turn off the auto-sleep options (including sleeping HDD's) in the Energy settings. It's an obvious thing, but I'm just saying it to be sure.

So, I'm sure you've thought about it, but you could try to trip out your PCI-e card and disconnect all but one (clean) hard drive. Then, use D_D's script/guide to create a USB memory stick Boot Disk (quickest method in my opinion). The next step would be to install OSX through that USB Boot Disk on your clean hard drive.

Don't copy over any of your files, yet. I actually recommend not doing that at all, just manually copy over your files and maybe some crucial Library files such as e-mail and address book. I've stopped copying over my complete profile to new installations. It's great when you actually have a mac or time machine, but on a hackintosh it just creates an unstable situation where you don't know where to find the cause of your problems.

After installation, test your new setup for a while (does everything work? Sleep?), take your time to update to 10.6.6 and maybe start installing some of the apps you use. When you feel like things are stable, start plugging in some hard drives and afterwards try to put your PCI-e card back in. Keep this setup idle overnight to see if you have the same problem. I'm sure that when you build up slowly, you will notice where things go bonkers.

Good luck :)

I finally have some time to try working on this again. I have been running the DD script from within my working 10.6.4 install onto a fresh disk. But I thought maybe I would try doing it by the USB method. I've tried twice to re-create the USB install, hoever, after creation. when I reboot, my machine hangs at bios with the usb connected. Booting without the usb in (works, then at the cham boot loader, plugging in the usb stick locks the system up again.) weird, same stick I've used for other install methods from USB?

any ideas? I'll try booting into 10.6.4 and then plugging it in and see if it locks up the 10.6.4

schwamm,

I you are not using the white JMicron SATA ports, remove the JMicron36xSATA.kext. Additionally, remove the JMicronATA.kext if you are not using the JMicron PATA port.

I don't think your setup is using the ATY_Init.kext, as you are using the GraphicsEnabler flag and netkas' installer, so remove it. A boot cache can't be made with it in /Extra, anyway. Netkas' installer generally adds the IDs to the ATI4800Controller.kext in S/L/E, so you may not need the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext. But, I don't really know for sure in your case.

The JMicron stuff is likely the culprit for the random reboots, so report back if you are still experiences issues.

septicdeath,

Is the USB a hard drive or Flash drive?

Why I ask is that I've never really had much success with boot from USB hard drives on the UD5. On the older BIOS versions, my system used to lock up when I plugged a USB drive in.

Now, at boot, the USB drive will spin down right before the BIOS does the device scan, forcing the BIOS to move on to the next bootable device. <sigh> I can get around this issue by unplugging/replugging the drive at the right time. This problem occurs whether the drive is bus-powered or powered externally. YMMV.

I don't know why this has been a issue, but we OS X users are not the only ones. On the Gigabyte support forums, it's been suggested that you select "Hard Drive" at the boot selector, instead of "USB HD."

MAJ