[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Wrong, the GTX 285 is a card that apple stocks, it was even an option you could choose when ordering a macPro 4.1. It worked OOB with 10.5 but you needed to download drivers for it either from apple or Nvidia inorder to get quartzExtreme and openCL to work. In the absence of EFi Strings or graphics enabler in the bootplist, you wil make it to the desktop with minimal video resolution.

The card amongst others and plus some ATI cards (even your 5770) are even listed in the Snow Leopard technical specifications under OpenCL. Here is the link. http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html. Like I always suggested when buying components for a hack, do the reasearch and buy a compatible components, in the end it saves you a lot of hassle. In my honest opinion, I prefer nvidia, ATI needs too much work to get it working 100%

Hope you found this post useful.. :pirate2:

Cheers

Charles

Sounds familiar-- I guess they *used* to stock the GTX 285. Currently, aside from nvidia Quadro cards, the highest consumer level card Apple has in their online store is the ATI 5870 (my bad for assuming they never sold the GTX 285). Good to know that that GTX 285 is an option, though-- thanks for pointing that out!

Unlike other ATi cards, 5770 seems to be a pain in the neck, I hope you find a solution for it.

You are right-- I did a test install on a separate drive with PC-EFI v10.6 per DD's recommendation ("as it permits you to bypass the DSDT installation. Other bootloaders are known to stall on boot, if no DSDT file is present.") with the ATY_init kext and it would not initialize the graphics card.

Fortunately I still had my install with DSDT intact still-- I updated the bootloader on it to Chameleon 2 RC 5 (as included in DD's script), then replaced the boot file with a newer one from kabyl in this thread and the card now initializes and I'm back in business-- so far this card is working as well or better than my GTS 250 was.

I'm not sure what route I'd go on a fresh install with the DSDT issue, but as far as upgrading the video card in an existing system, I seem to be in good shape.

So does anyone with this motherboard have a SleepEnabler.kext that works in 64-bit mode? The one I have (I believe the one that came with the script) causes a KP (double panic, actually) during boot if I boot into 64-bit mode with it installed.

So does anyone with this motherboard have a SleepEnabler.kext that works in 64-bit mode? The one I have (I believe the one that came with the script) causes a KP (double panic, actually) during boot if I boot into 64-bit mode with it installed.

You might want to consider heading over to d00d's thread concerning native power management on this board. I have fully functioning sleep capability thanks to his thread on dsdt mods. This board is capable of sleep without adding sleepenabler. The only potential issue is whether the timed sleep works, which typically has to do with your optical drive. Then just add KWS's PenntNeu-script to your startup.

Thank you for pointing that out! That was lack of oversight on my part. It's now corrected and will be part of the next release.

No problem. I'm glad I was able to give back a little bit.

Actually you dont need sleepEnabler but this depends on the DSDT present in your /Extra folder. I recommend you use the DSDT I have in a guide in my signature.

With this DSDT, you will need only fakeSMC in /extra and the latest Chameleon just to boot into OSX.

Software update works as well. Let me know if you need help plunging to Native Power Management and I will be more than happy to help :) .

Cheers

Charles

CruisAr: Nice website you've got there man! My dad has been to Ghana twice (I was abroad myself both times so I couldn't come), having a great time and only catching a little bit of malaria :)

Thanks man, we should plan to meet in Ghana sometime then :D . Last time I was home was in 2008.

I found out that the KP was related to bluetooth - so I removed the dongle and voila - it booted.

Has updated to 10.6.6, not sure of sleepenabler is or isn't working now (still can't see it in /extra)

I'd like to get bluetooth working as the magic trackpad was teh reason for upgrading in teh first place.

Some graphics corruption as well which wasn't visible before - on long pages like mail inbox or this site, using a scroll wheel causes only the bottom inch or so to move rewriting over whats there. This is a GTX260 GPU which is seen correctly on the about mac info.

Any ideas?

Oh - and Im using F7 bios - should that be a later version by now? Thanks

Actually you dont need sleepEnabler but this depends on the DSDT present in your /Extra folder. I recommend you use the DSDT I have in a guide in my signature.

With this DSDT, you will need only fakeSMC in /extra and the latest Chameleon just to boot into OSX.

Software update works as well. Let me know if you need help plunging to Native Power Management and I will be more than happy to help :D .

Cheers

Charles

I'm not opposed to getting into native power management-- seems like the next step on the hackintosh path ;) So with the DSDT in the thread you have in your sig, can I just use that or will I need to customize it at all? I have an LG optical drive so I may not get timed sleep (doesn't bother me, just want to be able to manually sleep my machine).

I'm not opposed to getting into native power management-- seems like the next step on the hackintosh path :P So with the DSDT in the thread you have in your sig, can I just use that or will I need to customize it at all? I have an LG optical drive so I may not get timed sleep (doesn't bother me, just want to be able to manually sleep my machine).

You can just use the DSDT in the guide I have in my sig. It's stripped down to the basic needed stuff, if you compare it to d00d's you will see that I have removed some stuff from it. This is because I dont see the neccesity of it if the system is not using it.

Just replace the DSDT you have now, and make sure you have only fakeSMC + kext you use for sound and Networking in the /extra folder. You can just delete the kexts you wont be using, add the ones you want and rebuild caches using DD's script. Dont forget to install the latest chameleon :) .

Cheers

Charles

Unlike other ATi cards, 5770 seems to be a pain in the neck, I hope you find a solution for it.

Found this:

Did you try this kext ?

This is Netkas 10.6.6 Sapphire 5770 kext. Put in the S/L/E folder, repair permission, remove graphics enabler from the extra folder boot plist file.

This is for a Single or Dual Monitor Connection. Make sure you install 10.6.6 and don't reboot until you install ATY kext.

Good luck

913_ATY_Init.kext.zip

I've experienced this problem before, and I believe the culprit was the overclock, somehow. I found that I could have a system that ran fine, but would not come out of sleep properly. Try running everything at stock for a while, and see if that makes a difference. Then, adjust your overclock to work.

It may be something other than that, I'm not expert, but that's my suggestion to you.

I hoped to not have to come back to this topic for this issue, but I'm afraid I have to. This problem is still present. After the overclock it was gone for a while, but no it's back again. It seems to happen randomly because sometimes in the morning it wakes from sleep fine, but when I come home from work it doesn't. At this point I'm even suspecting the power supply to be the cause. You see, the power in my apartment has a reputation of failing...

But other than that, does anybody have a clue how to solve it? I'm not even sure this is the right topic to report this, since I can't prove it is due to this method I use... Let me just say that D_D's script is amazing nonetheless! :)

anyone on gigabit network and get autodetect to auto set it to 1000? i have to manually set it to 1000, otherwise with auto it is just set to 100 for some reason.

i've reset my router and also my 1000gigabit switch. even connected this directly to the switch.

anyone on gigabit network and get autodetect to auto set it to 1000? i have to manually set it to 1000, otherwise with auto it is just set to 100 for some reason.

i've reset my router and also my 1000gigabit switch. even connected this directly to the switch.

I've found I've needed to set the speed to 1gb manually, no great hardship really.

jon

Short SL Install Guide with FakeSMC and IONetworkingFamily.kext in Extra

Hi Charles,

I just did a fresh install with 10.6.6 and your DSDT. As you described, I only left FakeSMC and IONetworkingFamily in extra and the latest Cham_2.0_RC5_mozo bootloader.

System boots up fine. In 32bit, the systems goes to sleep and wakes up perfectly, but I get a KP after some time (see attachments).

In 64bit sleep works fine _without_ KP. I prefer 64bit - so no worries about the KP - it's just FYI.

But the reason why I'm writing: I don't get a internet/network connection! Neither with IONetworkFamily nor with RealtekR1000SL.kext in /extra (installed with DD's script).

Systems preferences says 'no cable connected'.

I tried pulling the power cable for a minute without success.

I'm writing this with my first install with IONetworkingFamily in /extra so the problem has to be with your DSDT working together with my network kext...

For testing reasons and more audio outputs options, I put HDAEnabler and Legacy kexts in /extra - could that be the problem?

thanks in advance for your help!

Maxim

EDIT: it works! ok... What did I do? I tried the dsdt file from d00d's thread. With his version, network worked but I got KP after sleep and there were some other issues (orange icons etc).

So I took the code of d00d's file (everything between 'PEX4' and 'PEX5', pasted it into your (CruiSAr) dsdt.aml and now network works.

HDAEnabler and Legacy working in /extra.

post-387347-1298310283.jpg

post-387347-1298310324.jpg

Hi Charles,

For testing reasons and more audio outputs options, I put HDAEnabler and Legacy kexts in /extra - could that be the problem?

Maxim

EDIT: it works! ok... What did I do? I tried the dsdt file from d00d's thread. With his version, network worked but I got KP after sleep and there were some other issues (orange icons etc).

So I took the code of d00d's file (everything between 'PEX4' and 'PEX5', pasted it into your (CruiSAr) dsdt.aml and now network works.

Hi Maxim,

I am happy to know you got it working. This is they very first ever report on network issues but like I told you before, I removed some parts of the DSDT as my system really doesnt use them. This and other peripherals or components you have in your system could contribute to the KP's. Maybe MAJ could shed some light on this issue?

AFAIK, the DSDT works regardless of what kext is used for network, that is IOnetworking or Realtek1000 kexts. Yes the 2 audio kexts work but I dont use them since my DSDT enables 2 channel audio and digital out and since I use digital out well I guess the rest is history, :) and NO that could not be the problem to your KP's.

I have also not experienced any KP's be it in 32 or 64 bit mode so your reports baffle me a lot. normally I could decipher the issue from a boot log so if u can make that available I could put some notes in the guide.

Cheers

Charles

Maybe you should've tried putting RealtekR1000SL.kext in /S/L/E instead? It might work even when it doesn't in /Extra.

Something else to consider: Perhaps your KP:s are related to using an older bios version? Sometimes the smallest thing can cause unexpected behavior. And d00d actually writes this about his pre-modified dsdt: "derived from GA-EX58-UD5 and BIOS F9m through F12". So maybe your problem is bios F7.

Hi Charles,

I just did a fresh install with 10.6.6 and your DSDT. As you described, I only left FakeSMC and IONetworkingFamily in extra and the latest Cham_2.0_RC5_mozo bootloader.

System boots up fine. In 32bit, the systems goes to sleep and wakes up perfectly, but I get a KP after some time (see attachments).

In 64bit sleep works fine _without_ KP. I prefer 64bit - so no worries about the KP - it's just FYI.

But the reason why I'm writing: I don't get a internet/network connection! Neither with IONetworkFamily nor with RealtekR1000SL.kext in /extra (installed with DD's script).

Systems preferences says 'no cable connected'.

I tried pulling the power cable for a minute without success.

I'm writing this with my first install with IONetworkingFamily in /extra so the problem has to be with your DSDT working together with my network kext...

Maxim

I think the KP is due to the fact that the huge monitor doesn't like laying on its side. Doesn't that hurt your neck? ;)

Try updating to the latest official BIOS. I notice you are using v7 and the DSDTs can be very dependent on BIOS versions, depending on the nature of the changes. EDIT: I just noticed Sapricot touched on this already.

The first KP is very low level and doesn't reveal much useful info, but the second KP is related to the NTFS filesystem. Might you have a Windows install or NTFS partition on a JMicron (White SATA) port or PATA/IDE drive? Are you using any software for writing to NTFS? I've had good success with Paragon's NTFS for Mac OS X and used to use NTFS-3G via MacFUSE.

The individual LAN kexts, like RealtekR1000SL.kext, won't work in /Extra due to their dependency on the IONetworkingFamily.kext in /System. So, you should either install them into /System or put them in the PlugIns folder inside a recent copy of a IONetworkingFamily.kext (remove the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext) and install that into /Extra.

Best of wishes,

MAJ

I think the KP is due to the fact that the huge monitor doesn't like laying on its side. Doesn't that hurt your neck? :P

With this method I can read best when I'm lying in my bed :P I just forgot to rotate my pictures ^^

Try updating to the latest official BIOS. I notice you are using v7 and the DSDTs can be very dependent on BIOS versions, depending on the nature of the changes. EDIT: I just noticed Sapricot touched on this already.

I have already updated to F9 but didn't change my sig. But I had F9 and not F9m - don't know if there's a difference. But yesterday I had the same thought. But here's the problem: I changed cruiSAr's DSDT, restarted, updated my bios and then it worked. That was a little stupid because now we don't know what the "real" solution was...

The first KP is very low level and doesn't reveal much useful info, but the second KP is related to the NTFS filesystem. Might you have a Windows install or NTFS partition on a JMicron (White SATA) port or PATA/IDE drive? Are you using any software for writing to NTFS? I've had good success with Paragon's NTFS for Mac OS X and used to use NTFS-3G via MacFUSE.

Yes, I have another harddisk with NTFS (Win7) in my system and I'm using Paragon on my stable OSX install. But the all 3 harddisks are connected via the blue SATA ports.

The individual LAN kexts, like RealtekR1000SL.kext, won't work in /Extra due to their dependency on the IONetworkingFamily.kext in /System. So, you should either install them into /System or put them in the PlugIns folder inside a recent copy of a IONetworkingFamily.kext (remove the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext) and install that into /Extra.

Maybe this would have the solution ;)

AFAIK, the DSDT works regardless of what kext is used for network, that is IOnetworking or Realtek1000 kexts. Yes the 2 audio kexts work but I dont use them since my DSDT enables 2 channel audio and digital out and since I use digital out well I guess the rest is history, tongue.gif and NO that could not be the problem to your KP's.

yeah I ruled that out with deleting those audio kexts..

I have also not experienced any KP's be it in 32 or 64 bit mode so your reports baffle me a lot. normally I could decipher the issue from a boot log so if u can make that available I could put some notes in the guide.

Maybe that was because of my old F9 Bios? I attached my kernel.log (renamed to .txt so that I can upload it..) - maybe there's something useful in it?

Well, huge thanks to all three of you! I am writing this from my new install - sleep works fine. I will install the stuff I need and sooner or later, I think this will be my new "main&stable" install ;)

Cheers,

Maxim

kernel.txt

I think the KP is due to the fact that the huge monitor doesn't like laying on its side. Doesn't that hurt your neck? :P

Best of wishes,

MAJ

LMAO...that one was funny MAJ, Maxim, no disrespect.. :-I Cant stop laughing. I was actually wondering why the pictures were vertical, I had pains in the neck trying to read the Kp info...hahaha.

Thanks for pitching in on the KP info there.

Maybe that was because of my old F9 Bios? I attached my kernel.log (renamed to .txt so that I can upload it..) - maybe there's something useful in it?

Well, huge thanks to all three of you! I am writing this from my new install - sleep works fine. I will install the stuff I need and sooner or later, I think this will be my new "main&stable" install :)

Cheers,

Maxim

Oh yes I failed to mention that the DSDT was extracted from F9m bios and patched, it works on all bios after F9m. So yeah that could have been the problem. What you can do to figure out if it was the bios version is to just replace the DSDT with the original one from my guide.

I took a look at the log and as MAJ stated, the NTFS partition is issuing some errors. But again I believe it is bios related as I also have an NTFS drive present and no KP's. Since we are not on generic Mac's a couple of log errors pop up here and there but nothing to worry about.

Thanks for pitching MAJ and Sapricot :-)

Regards

Cheers

Oh yes I failed to mention that the DSDT was extracted from F9m bios and patched, it works on all bios after F9m. So yeah that could have been the problem. What you can do to figure out if it was the bios version is to just replace the DSDT with the original one from my guide.

Alright it seems that my new install is rock-solid. Haven't restarted the last few days- only used standby :rolleyes:

I just replaced my modified DSDT with your original DSDT from your post and restarted. Went to sleep, woke up fine and the internet connection works without any problems.

So the F9 Bios was definitely the problem.

My next install will be LION in summer :)

Thanks again for your DSDT and support and of course MAJ for your awesome script and all the other helpful people here in this thread!

Maxim

Well you should be able to if you are using native power management and have all third party kexts in /Extra without any issues. I am guessing you are using EFI strings for your GPU or auto injection via the bootLoader.

I just installed the 10.6.6 combo updater and now I get a kernel panic at boot. You are correct that I am using EFI strings for graphics. I also am unsure about power management now. When I installed SL I followed the install instructions to the letter but I can't remember what I did with sleep enabler (I do know that sleep doesn't work).

I have a few Macs at home so I can plug this drive in and fix things, i just don't know what to fix. Can someone help me?

Alright it seems that my new install is rock-solid. Haven't restarted the last few days- only used standby -_-

I just replaced my modified DSDT with your original DSDT from your post and restarted. Went to sleep, woke up fine and the internet connection works without any problems.

So the F9 Bios was definitely the problem.

My next install will be LION in summer ;)

Thanks again for your DSDT and support and of course MAJ for your awesome script and all the other helpful people here in this thread!

Maxim

No probs man, happy you finally got it working. I am currently trying to see if I can get the Lion developer preview to work even though chameleon might not have support for it yet. I wont know until I have tried.Will keep you guys posted.

Where is the bios version stated? Not exactly sure what bios rev I have, but given this info I'd like to make sure I have at least 9m before using your DSDT file.

Where is the bios version stated? Not exactly sure what bios rev I have, but given this info I'd like to make sure I have at least 9m before using your DSDT file.

I have edited the guide with the bios version requirements, my bad for not including that. You can check which version u have by either going into your bios or attempt making a backup of your bios to a memory stick.

No probs man, happy you finally got it working. I am currently trying to see if I can get the Lion developer preview to work even though chameleon might not have support for it yet. I wont know until I have tried.Will keep you guys posted.

Hi CruiSar :D,

Am also trying to get this developer version of Lion to work on my hackintosh. Netkas first said that Chameleon didn't support booting from a file (from root fs), which is now necessary because Lion doesn't do a full install when installed from withing mac os x... But now netkas seems to have crossed out these words :s... Chameleon trunks haven't been updated for 11 days, so don't really understand this... Do you have anymore progress ?