[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Ok I undid my change to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and made the change to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Still no luck... it just blue screens... (Well Blue is the native color of my monitor when its not getting any signal...)

For the brief time I played with it this latest version of your installer it worked just fine with 10.6 before I tried moving to 10.6.6. Maybe in playing with this I have inadvertently changed some setting? maybe I should try the whole thing from scratch again...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard

Glad we have you back tseug. I had KP after update caused by sleepenabler in S/L/E. I never knew that SE is also there.

Lucky I have dual boot with windows xp and great program MacDrive so I can access Mac partition. I deleted that SleepE and it's working now.

Only 2 kexts in E/E . I'm speechless. My Geforce 210 works now without NVEnabler kext which was slowing startup big time.

Whole system seems to work faster and smoother. What a great day. Thanks tseug. You are our hero.

Thank you.

Glad we have you back tseug.

Yeah! That's what I wanted to say, too. I was stuck on 10.6.4 and didn't dare an update. But then you showed up again and everyhing went fine for me (well except the 32-bit thing), but you also solved that problem by now.

One thing I noticed is that with hardcoded p-states in my dsdt.aml the CPU is running much cooler. Speedstepping worked with the p- and c-states generated by chameleon, but this way is much better.

Thx again

Jan

Has anyone had any success running 64 bit? I'm a heavy Adobe CS5 Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects user, with 8GB memory, so it's useful for me to run 64 bit. The old tseug version works nicely in 64 bit (except for my 2.06 version of VMWare Fusion, though I'm now trying out 64-bit compatible VirtualBox), but all the responses seem to imply you need to be running in 32 bit mode.

I had blue screens so I swapped the video card for

Inno3D 9500GT 1GB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

manufacturer #: N95GT-2DDV-D2CX

Then wiped & reinstalled using a different MBR and 10.6.3 from a hard disk image then installed Tseug's new installer and combo updated to 10.6.6.

I have dual VGA outputs and 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes in profiler

Very pleased. Wish I could go into more detail but I dont have the time...

Has anyone had any success running 64 bit? I'm a heavy Adobe CS5 Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects user, with 8GB memory, so it's useful for me to run 64 bit. The old tseug version works nicely in 64 bit (except for my 2.06 version of VMWare Fusion, though I'm now trying out 64-bit compatible VirtualBox), but all the responses seem to imply you need to be running in 32 bit mode.

OS X is 64 bit regardless. What people are talking about are whether to run 32 or 64 bit kernel which is an altogether different matter. You will have no problem addressing 8 GB i 32 bit kernel mode.

That being said, mine runs 64 bit without issues.

OS X is 64 bit regardless. What people are talking about are whether to run 32 or 64 bit kernel which is an altogether different matter. You will have no problem addressing 8 GB i 32 bit kernel mode.

Yes, that is what I meant. Reports of success or failure using 64 bit kernel after setting appropriate kernel flags in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. Thank you for replying with your experience.

Hello everyone.

I am on 10.6.6 (with Chameleon 2 RC4) currently. Can I just update to 10.6.7 with the same sleepenabler.kext I am using for 10.6.6 (taken from this post here Post #668) or is there a newer one?

And should I also update chameleon or is it OK (i.e. are there no negative side effects) to stay with the old one?

I am asking because I am not sure whether it would be better to update just the system without touching anything else (except for sleepenabler and maybe chameleon) or to delete DSDT.aml , do a restart and then start Tseug's (great that you are back again!) latest installer.

Many greetings.

Used tseug's latest installer (after having deleted DSDT.aml) and everything works fine so far. Even my Geforce GTX260 works without the need of inserting the appropriate GFX String in com.apple.Boot.plist - great!

Many thanks!!!

Tried 10.6.7 but had no luck :(

I was originally running 10.6.1 server on a 8600 gt 512 pcie

deleted the dsdt.aml from the extra folder and rebooted

reloaded my bios settings and booted back into osx

Ran the new installer and rebooted

reloaded my bios settings and everything booted fine into osx with the new chameleon

Installed 10.6.7 combo updated and everything installed fine and restarted

Loaded my bios settings, and right when it gets to show the login screen my monitor goes to sleep.

I am not sure if its my graphics card, or where I am running the server addition or what.

I am going to try and time machine back to where I was and try a lower update. I really just wanna get to 10.6.2 so I can play starcraft 2 so I may try it next.

Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot for the great update, but two things don't quite work out for me (Q6600, P35 DS4):

- The machine immediatly wakes up again after trying to put it to sleep. No matter if I try hibernatemode 0 or 3.

- SpeedStep doesn't work at all and my cpu is stuck at 3Ghz. It acutally works with VoodooPowerMini.kext, but I wantet to avoid that.

Any ideas on this?

GraphicsEnabler=yes was quite a bad thing for me though, using a HD6870 resultet in a not booting system.

Greetings.

Thanks a lot for the great update, but two things don't quite work out for me (Q6600, P35 DS4):

- The machine immediatly wakes up again after trying to put it to sleep. No matter if I try hibernatemode 0 or 3.

Double check your bios settings. Did it work with SleepEnabler.kext?

- SpeedStep doesn't work at all and my cpu is stuck at 3Ghz. It acutally works with VoodooPowerMini.kext, but I wantet to avoid that.

I let Chameleon worry about SpeedStep. I can see NullCPUPower...kext is no longer needed but I haven't found a way to directly test whether SpeedStep works. How did you test it?

Well in the end I tracked down what was going on, with my screen blanking problems. It took me quite a while, but I got the big hint after trying to install tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] in frustration. It turned out that I managed to do a fairly easy install of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I could upgrade it to 10.6.7 but when I tried to get my 9800GTX+ card working by enabling graphics, then the screen blanked. This tweaked me to the fact that this was actually a graphics card problem rather than some crash or something.

What was happening was this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi.../t214129-0.html . That is with DVI / HDMI and 8800 and 9800 based NVidia cards bad things happen. My monitor has a HDMI input and thus basically this series of nvidia graphic card ceases to function with HDMI. Lots of attempts where made by others, and I even tried a few in that thread but you could see that others had tried much harder than me to get things working and still didn't get things working, so in the end I just went out the next day and bought an ATI HD5770.

Thus... I can confirm that Tesug's new method works very smoothly and perfectly on my EP35-DS3R with a HD5770. I made no deviations at all to his install method (ie I installed no extra kext's nor changed eg com.apple.Boot.plist).

My problem was my graphics card 9800GTX+ and using HDMI (I could have stuck with using a d-sub adapter but then the graphics are "fuzzy").

(Actually I would like to upgrade my graphics card to something a bit more spiffy than a HD5770 since this card has basically the same performance as a 9800GTX+. Ie I would like to upgrade to a HD5870 at least but looking on the hackintosh sites it wasn't clear to me that the HD5870 was working correctly so i didn't want to risk more time so I just went with the HD5770 in the end. Does anyknow know if other higher end graphic cards work out of the box with Tesug's install... Eg I also had my eye on a GTX 560 Ti but it looks like these are not supported either. In fact it looks like the support for many of the newer graphics cards is highly lacking on at least the hackintosh scene.)

(In any case thanks for your efforts Tseug!!!!) I am happily running 10.6.7 now...

Thanks,

Richard

Double check your bios settings. Did it work with SleepEnabler.kext?

Already did that, those are correct. And yes, it used to work before with sleepenabler.

But i guess, this is a problem with my new AMD graphics card, so nevermind.

I let Chameleon worry about SpeedStep. I can see NullCPUPower...kext is no longer needed but I haven't found a way to directly test whether SpeedStep works. How did you test it?

I just ran sysctl -a | grep cpufrequency and all of the values are 3000000000 all the time.

Also used cpu-x.app to confirm. Using voodoopowermini.kext, it would go down to 1.6ghz.

I just realized one entry in my logs:

13.04.11 12:00:47 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.

13.04.11 12:00:47 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement failed; removing personalities.

13.04.11 12:00:48 kernel kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

13.04.11 12:00:48 kernel kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement]: _lapic_start

13.04.11 12:00:48 kernel Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - link failed.

But it exists and I didn't touch it..

I just ran sysctl -a | grep cpufrequency and all of the values are 3000000000 all the time.

Also used cpu-x.app to confirm. Using voodoopowermini.kext, it would go down to 1.6ghz.

I've used MSR tools (only works in 32 bit kernel mode). It shows it working fine. Google says: http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70467

I've never seen the error in my log. Did you update or reinstall?

MSR shows the same - always max. frequency (although it says "Speedstop on").

And regarding my sleep problem: I just found out that I got the same on Windows7.

In both systems when trying to enter sleep mode, harddisks and screens turn off but the system stays on and the only thing I can do is push the reset button.

So obviously it's not OS X' fault (which doesn't help me a lot).

And I upgraded.

MSR shows the same - always max. frequency (although it says "Speedstop on").

And regarding my sleep problem: I just found out that I got the same on Windows7.

In both systems when trying to enter sleep mode, harddisks and screens turn off but the system stays on and the only thing I can do is push the reset button.

So obviously it's not OS X' fault (which doesn't help me a lot).

And I upgraded.

I can't sleep in W7 either. It just goes to locked screen. I'm assuming W7 doesn't like the BIOS settings. The error in the log looks suspicious. You could either try using SleepEnabler or try reinstalling on an empty partition. That's all I've got, I'm afraid.