[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Fortunately I tested that Chameleon RC5 before on another disc drive and it did not work for me either so I am still at RC3.

Maybe you put RC3 on an USB-device and then boot your OSX-Installation disc from where you just install it over RC5?

Good luck with that, hope you can find some help from someone who has more experience with that than I do.

I updated to 10.6.5 and had 100% working system then I installed your Chameleon rc5 and computer won't boot anymore, I tried everything. I'm devastated I had working hackintosh for more than one year.

How to get back to Rc3. Please help.

Fortunately I tested that Chameleon RC5 before on another disc drive and it did not work for me either so I am still at RC3.

Maybe you put RC3 on an USB-device and then boot your OSX-Installation disc from where you just install it over RC5?

Good luck with that, hope you can find some help from someone who has more experience with that than I do.

Thank you for pointing me into right direction, typing this from 10.6.5 :(

I couldn't even load original Snow installer DVD wit this evil RC5.

I puted RC3 on the USB stick, loaded orginal boot cd from page 1 and than Snow Install DVD so I could access Terminal.

From terminal I installed RC3 and repaired permissions. That's it. Back to good old RC3.

Another lesson learned: If not broken do not fix!!!!

One small problem I still got since 10.6.0 I have some tiny glitches in audio.

Updated successfully to 10.6.5 the way pan-pan explained above (I also replaced the sleepenabler.kext with the one from the link he has posted). I did not change anything else (no changes in boot.plist and no new/old kexts).

No probs so far.

Still not sure about the uncommented link that was posted by MaLd0n (as there can be found a lot of new files like a new/other DSDT-Patcher and new chameleon RC5) and I have no clue whether it would be better to use some of them or not, but maybe someone can shed some light on this?

But nevertheless many thanks to all those nice people here - I am very happy with my hackintosh. :(

Don't use!

Any idea how to install OSX10.6 on the GA-P35DS4 using a ATI4870?

Already tried everything mentioned in this guide but I don't even get the Language screen. Everytime I want to install system Apple logo and circle stay on screen and nothing happends.

Any idea how to install OSX10.6 on the GA-P35DS4 using a ATI4870?

Already tried everything mentioned in this guide but I don't even get the Language screen. Everytime I want to install system Apple logo and circle stay on screen and nothing happends.

HEllo, i have such hardware. I install SL this way:

1. install iPC 10.5.6 (or another which works on your system) and run it

2. created second partition (SP) on system disc.

3. insert retail SL disc

4. run OSInstall.mpkg from system/instalation/packages and install this package into SP

5. then use GA-P35-DS4 Snow Pack.pkg (install on SP)

6. delete Sleepenabler from SP/Extra/Extensions and add here EVOenabler.kext

7. copy Kext Utility.app to SP/application/Utility

8. drag and drop: - Extension folder from SP/extra/

- Extension folder from SP/System/libraries/

to created Extensions.mkext

9. reboot and select SP for boot (may try with flag -f)

10. if all right delete those partition where you install iPC 10.5.6

I use this guide two times and it works

P.S. Sorry for my English :angel:

• 1 month later...
I was about to ask the same question as well - hope someone can shed some light on this.

According to netkas it seems to work fine (http://netkas.org/?p=590), but I am too much afraid of killing my hackintosh.

I've just updated to 10.6.6.

Removed sleep enabler before updating through software update. Rebooted everything working ok. However when I put Sleepenabler.kext back I get a Kernel panic on boot up.

Does anyone have a working Sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.6?

I've just updated to 10.6.6.

Removed sleep enabler before updating through software update. Rebooted everything working ok. However when I put Sleepenabler.kext back I get a Kernel panic on boot up.

Does anyone have a working Sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.6?

So nobody updated or is nobody using this board anymore?

I'm interested in the answer to your question too! I haven't tried to update yet - wish this thread were busier than it's been lately!

I just tried this one, and it seems to works (no KP), but also instead of going to sleep, it shuts off...so I disabled sleep (was never able to get sleep to work after 10.6.3 anyway).

64bit enabled.

EP35-DS4 w/ Q6600

SleepEnabler_10.6.6.kext.zip

I would just like to confirm the steps before I go messing with my hackintosh currently running 10.6.1 server.

Delete sleepenabler kext from the extras folder, install combo update, install new sleep enabler with kext utility, reboot?

Also has anyone moded a mac pro case to put a ds4 in it. I would love to buy one on ebay and make that mod work just a little nervous on spending $300-400 and screwing up my whole system.

Also, has anyone put in an ssd drive as the boot drive? Could you just plug one in and do a time machine restore to it? What about trim and other ssd functions osx doesnt support, could there be issues there?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
I would just like to confirm the steps before I go messing with my hackintosh currently running 10.6.1 server.

Delete sleepenabler kext from the extras folder, install combo update, install new sleep enabler with kext utility, reboot?

That's the way it's normally done, though make sure you have an updated sleepenabler.kext. I don't know if the one linked in one of the posts above works with SL Server though, you'll just have to try it. You can, of course, just run your Hack without letting it sleep if you can't find a sleepenabler that works, though I appreciate this might not be what you want.

Also has anyone moded a mac pro case to put a ds4 in it. I would love to buy one on ebay and make that mod work just a little nervous on spending $300-400 and screwing up my whole system.
I'm sure some people have done it, but I think there are issues with power supplies, PCI slots lining up etc. They are really nice cases, but you can get just as good PC cases which will be far less hassle.

Also, has anyone put in an ssd drive as the boot drive? Could you just plug one in and do a time machine restore to it? What about trim and other ssd functions osx doesnt support, could there be issues there?
I've recently done this myself. I had been using an Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD in my MacBook Pro, which I removed, updated the firmware, did a secure erase (to return it to its 'factory' condition) and installed in my Hackintosh alongside the existing boot drive. I formatted it using Disk Utility, then installed Chameleon v2 RC4 on it. I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the boot HD to my SSD. This copied all the system, libraries and applications to the SSD. I already have my User account on a different partition on the HD, and have kept this arrangement. I switched the boot drive for the SSD, and everything worked smoothly, with the SSD using the user account on the 2nd partition on the HD. Booting speed is a bit faster, but opening application, switching, opening directories etc are all now super quick. I think you could restore from a Time Machine backup, just make sure you don't forget to install Chameleon or whatever other boot loader/efi you have been using. I never noticed much slowing down in the MBP, but then didn't use it intensively. As a boot/applications drive, I don't imagine lots of files being written to it, or it filling up. With the full system, iLife and a full install of CS5 Master Collection (including Final Cut Pro, After Effects and Photoshop etc) I still have 115GB free! So performance will take a long time to degrade, by which time hopefully Apple will have pulled their finger out and support TRIM! I may move some of my user folders, eg Library, iTunes Library and iPhoto Library, back onto the SSD. This can be done using a Symbolic link. Again, they don't change often (except for some items in Library) but it has been reported that moving ~User/Library on to an SSD gives a further application speed up.

On an unrelated subject, I'm thinking of updating my CPU from the Q6600 to, maybe if I can find one cheap enough, a Yorkfield Q9XXX. This will mean updating the BIOS on my board from F8, which has been working fine for quite a long time, to F14. Any reports of problems with later BIOS versions?

Thanks so much for the info, I have a nice antec case that houses my hack server currently but I was thinking about getting the 27' apple led monitor and thought a mac pro case would be the icing on the cake (looks wise).

I really dont care if the sleep works or not (it never has for me) I would just rather be on the latest os build, mainly wanna try out the magic pad.

Thanks for the great info on the ssd, I have yet to pull the trigger on one mainly because my hackintosh server has been running smootly for so many months that I hate to even mess with it. It has a 10k raptor boot drive so I didnt know how much performace increase I would notice. I may just wait and build me a whole new rig when lion comes out and try to get it running on an i7 and an ssd.

Anyone ever put a dedicated RAID card in the extra pci express slot? I would love to setup a RAID 5. Do most of you just set up RAID in the disk utility and not deal with a card?

Although I may bite the bullet and order me and real mac pro this summer its just a tuff pill to swallow.

Wish I could answer your bios question but I am also running f8, I have a qx6850 in my hack server.

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought this thread would still be alive :). As you might have noticed, I haven't updated for a while (OK, quite a while then :( ). Anyway, I recently found some time to muck about with OSX86 again and it resulted in a new installer which includes Chameleon RC5 and an updated DSDT patcher.

The result is, I believe, a lot better than before and as close to vanilla as one can get with the GA-P35-DS4. The only kexts still necessary are FakeSMC and LegacyHDA. Sleep and shutdown has been enabled in the DSDT so kernel updates no longer causes panics because of SleepEnabler. Here is a fairly comprehensive list of the new stuff:

• wake from sleep via mouse click
  • speedstep (can't test it but RC5 insists on it working ;) )
  • auto sleep on idle is working better. My DVD drive has to be detached for it to work. YMMV.
  • USB fix.
  • Hard drive IRQ fix

I get a lot fewer spinning beach balls after the upgrade and, all in all, the OS seems to be running a bit smoother.

Details are in the guide.

Hi tseug

You are a total legend!!!!!!!!!!

I am having some issues with GA-P35-DS4 Snow Pack.pkg that you posted.

It install fine but both chrome and safari seem to be stuttering and crashing, however if I install the GA-P35-DS4_Snow Pack.pkg dated 9 October 2009 then all seems fine again.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

My rig is on BIOS F14 with a version 2 or maybe 2.1 board, ASUS 128mb PCIe NV8400 an Intel 80 GB SSD and a TC Electronic desktop Konnekt 6 for the audio with the onboard audio disabled.

SPfatpipe.

I never thought this thread would still be alive :D. As you might have noticed, I haven't updated for a while (OK, quite a while then :) ). Anyway, I recently found some time to muck about with OSX86 again and it resulted in a new installer which includes Chameleon RC5 and an updated DSDT patcher.

The result is, I believe, a lot better than before and as close to vanilla as one can get with the GA-P35-DS4. The only kexts still necessary are FakeSMC and LegacyHDA. Sleep and shutdown has been enabled in the DSDT so kernel updates no longer causes panics because of SleepEnabler. Here is a fairly comprehensive list of the new stuff:

• wake from sleep via mouse click
  • speedstep (can't test it but RC5 insists on it working :( )
  • auto sleep on idle is working better. My DVD drive has to be detached for it to work. YMMV.
  • USB fix.
  • Hard drive IRQ fix

I get a lot fewer spinning beach balls after the upgrade and, all in all, the OS seems to be running a bit smoother.

If you haven't changed anything in the DSDT yourself, all you need to do is run the installer and reboot. If you want to install on a new partition (you probably should try it out somewhere safe) you'll need a boot CD. This one worked for me.

Remember to back up your system! I've tested it as well as I could but weird stuff might happen. If you don't have a GA-P35-DS4 it might be a better idea to check out the DSDT editor in New Releases and Updates.

I haven't updated the first post yet but I'll probably do it this weekend. The procedure for installing from scratch is:

1. boot into SL DVD via boot CD. You know the drill.
  2. install OS X
  3. boot into new install
  4. run GA-P35-DS4 installer
  5. reboot
  6. update (just use software update)

link to installer

Hi tseug

You are a total legend!!!!!!!!!!

I am having some issues with GA-P35-DS4 Snow Pack.pkg that you posted.

It install fine but both chrome and safari seem to be stuttering and crashing, however if I install the GA-P35-DS4_Snow Pack.pkg dated 9 October 2009 then all seems fine again.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

My rig is on BIOS F14 with a version 2 or maybe 2.1 board, ASUS 128mb PCIe NV8400 an Intel 80 GB SSD and a TC Electronic desktop Konnekt 6 for the audio with the onboard audio disabled.

SPfatpipe.

Could you send me your dsdt after running the new snow pack?

If you haven't changed anything in the DSDT yourself, all you need to do is run the installer and reboot.

tseug - Very happy to have you here! Just to clarify, for my existing tseug-style osx86 (hackinstosh) on the ga-p35-ds4, I should be able to update to your latest just by running the new installer and rebooting? No need for a fresh install?

tseug - Very happy to have you here! Just to clarify, for my existing tseug-style osx86 (hackinstosh) on the ga-p35-ds4, I should be able to update to your latest just by running the new installer and rebooting? No need for a fresh install?

Just to be safe, you should backup and remove your current /Extra/DSDT.dsl, reboot, and then run the installer. The approach I mentioned above should work, but sbfatpipe experienced some issues, which may or may not be connected to the DSDT. I haven't heard back from him so I don't know.

Anyway, note that the installer will overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Extra

Awesome work Tseug!!!

My system drive just took a turn for the worse (random clicking sounds/system freezes, etc) so I decided to do a full reinstall on a fresh disk. I had to dig around to find this thread (mainly in the outer reaches of my brain to remember the name of the thread) and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it had been updated only a few days earlier!

This latest update makes the install a complete breeze. A couple of years back and it would have been an all day affair! Can't express my thanks enough!

Just to be safe, you should backup and remove your current /Extra/DSDT.dsl, reboot, and then run the installer. The approach I mentioned above should work, but sbfatpipe experienced some issues, which may or may not be connected to the DSDT. I haven't heard back from him so I don't know.

Anyway, note that the installer will overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Extra

Absolutely, backup is my friend. One more question - does the installer take care of configuring Chameleon? I think I'm on old version RC2 and recall that setup might have been a separate initial step in the process. THANKS