[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

regarding sleep and win7, I found this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=236626

seems boot0hfs does the trick, also read something about this in a recent chameleon changelog.

Edit: After a fresh install on a second drive and copying a lot of kexts and stuff over to my original system, sleep now works. SpeedStep still doesn't, but I don't really care. Thanks a lot, tseug.

Hi Luki,

I'm using a Linksys WMP300N. Working flawlessly and otb. Supports G- and N-Wifi. I don't know where to get it anymore. You could try ebay or amazon.

Good luck!

How is wireless working in 10.6.7 guys and what wireless card are you using with ga-p35-ds4?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent guide and I have been a happy Hackintosh user for a long time. But I'd like to know two things for future reference:

1. If I get a real Mac, can I import all my files and settings from a Time Machine backup with Migration Assistant without problems or do I need to uninstall/remove anything this patch did?

2. If I decide to build a new Hackintosh with different setup (and no longer can use this guide/patch) and wish to use this current OS X installation in it, how can I uninstall this patch? (to avoid possible conflicts with new hardware and kexts that it requires). Reading the "Details" section of the guide, I assume I'd need to:

- delete /Extra

- delete /usr/local/bin/ifconfig

- delete /Library/LaunchDaemons/launchd.plist

Would that be enough to make the installation completely clean of Hackintosh stuff? Do I need to do something more to remove GraphicsEnabler, SpeedStep and Chameleon?

1. If I get a real Mac, can I import all my files and settings from a Time Machine backup with Migration Assistant without problems

Probably. I never transfer anything but Documents and Applications anyway. If you need the rest, you will have to clean up manually.

2. If I decide to build a new Hackintosh with different setup (and no longer can use this guide/patch) and wish to use this current OS X installation in it, how can I uninstall this patch? (to avoid possible conflicts with new hardware and kexts that it requires). Reading the "Details" section of the guide, I assume I'd need to:

- delete /Extra

- delete /usr/local/bin/ifconfig

- delete /Library/LaunchDaemons/launchd.plist

Would that be enough to make the installation completely clean of Hackintosh stuff? Do I need to do something more to remove GraphicsEnabler, SpeedStep and Chameleon?

Chameleon resides in the boot sector of the drive. You would have to overwrite it with something. You also need to remove /boot. Of course you won't be able to actually boot your OS anymore.

Probably. I never transfer anything but Documents and Applications anyway. If you need the rest, you will have to clean up manually.

By manual cleaning, do you mean the steps I mentioned? So are they enough?

Chameleon resides in the boot sector of the drive. You would have to overwrite it with something. You also need to remove /boot. Of course you won't be able to actually boot your OS anymore.

I would of course need new fixes for a new setup and Chameleon would likely be used then too. The purpose of the cleaning would be to get all the current hackintosh fixes away so that they wouldn't conflict with any of the new ones or with the new hardware.

Do you think there could be problems using the same installation on different hardware even if these patches are cleaned up?

Thanks for answering!

By manual cleaning, do you mean the steps I mentioned? So are they enough?

I would suggest just transfering the home directory and optionally your applications. I've done this from a TimeMachine backup but I haven't tested it by migrating directly from another Mac. Unless you have major changes in the system files that would be time consuming to change, there really isn't much point to migrating everything. In fact, I don't even do a full migration on a reinstallation on a real mac.

I would of course need new fixes for a new setup and Chameleon would likely be used then too. The purpose of the cleaning would be to get all the current hackintosh fixes away so that they wouldn't conflict with any of the new ones or with the new hardware.

Do you think there could be problems using the same installation on different hardware even if these patches are cleaned up?

I have no idea. If you really really want go go down this path, I would suggest that instead of removing everything, you remove /Extra/DSDT.aml and /Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext. Note that if you boot on a new Hackintosh with substantially different hardware with the old DSDT.aml that the my installer generates for your machine, things will probably go very wrong.

A much safer and reasonable approach would be to set up the new Hackintosh as you want it and then migrate your old user and the Applications to the new hack. Simply putting in the new hard drive is worth a try I guess, but if it doesn't work there could be a million things wrong and it would probably be difficult to fix.

In other words: If you transfer Applications and the user home dir with Migration Assistent no Hackintosh specific files will be transferred, regardless of whether you transfer to a Mac or a new Hack.

It seems that the methods I was asking about aren't worth the trouble. I'll stick to copying the Home folder and Applications like you suggest. I'm not changing away from this current Hackintosh anytime soon anyway ;) Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...
Preliminary guide for installing OS X Lion on GA-P35-DS4 and similar motherboards available here
Looks very cool, tseug, thanks. For those of us following you for awhile, is it possible to upgrade to Lion from our current 10.6, or do you recommend a clean install as per the new guide?

Looks very cool, tseug, thanks. For those of us following you for awhile, is it possible to upgrade to Lion from our current 10.6, or do you recommend a clean install as per the new guide?

Clean install on another partition and only to check it out. Lion is still in serious beta mode.

Updating to 10.6.8 will break audio.

The fix is here (ALC885_889a_LION.zip).

I seems to work without any issues. You might as well delete /Extra/LegacyHDA.kext while you're at it since it doesn't work anymore.

I updated via system update, deleted AppleHDA.kext in Extra->Extensions and placed ALC885_889a.kext in that same folder, but no sound.

Did I miss something?

UPDATE:

OK, its working now. I had to put the ALC885_889a.kext in system-->Library-->Extensions and modify the AppleHDA.kext in the same folder according to the readme in the file from Tseug's post above (#766).

At least for me it did not work when having these files placed in Extra->Extensions.

Everything works great now. ;)

Updating to 10.6.8 will break audio.

The fix is here (ALC885_889a_LION.zip).

I seems to work without any issues. You might as well delete /Extra/LegacyHDA.kext while you're at it since it doesn't work anymore.

Hi Tseug,

I'be been following this guide since the early 80's. Is that possible? I don't know; I'm not a time machine. Do you know if a new SleepEnabler.kext is required for 10.6.8? Thanks! This guide is awesome. It's actually what got me interested in Macs. :blink:

Hi -- I've searched, and there doesn't seem to anything posted about particular issues upgrading from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8. I haven't had a chance to look at the machine yet, but my daughter reports Airport grayed out in Network Preferences and diagnostics says it's not configured. It's a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 with a Linksys WMP300N which has always worked perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I used this guide ages ago to set things up and it worked a treat.

After upgrading to 10.6.8 my audio broke and I had a go at fixing it myself. This did not go well.

I've got a superduper clone of the HDD at 10.6.7 (just before I updated to 10.6.8).

To get the bootloader on to this clone should I just rerun the GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer?

I see there's a much better solution for applying the audio fix :blink: cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Mac appstore is not working anymore :-( after 10.6.8 update

Error message: Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

I tried to modify my com.apple.boot.plist with the following, but without success.

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>0</string>

Does someone know how to solve this issue ?

Regards,

the biglebow

Does someone know how to solve this issue ?

Yes, Me :-)

As you can see in my signature my Ethernet port is not the built-in one.

In order to let Apple think that it is the built-in one add this /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

This solve the problem.

hope this will help others ...

Cheers,

The Dude