[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Absolutely, backup is my friend. One more question - does the installer take care of configuring Chameleon? I think I'm on old version RC2 and recall that setup might have been a separate initial step in the process. THANKS

Yes, the installer takes care of Chameleon. There were two steps in the past because one was meant to be the bare minimum to get the system up and running, whereas the other was to configure some other stuff. Unfortunately, I placed SleepEnabler in the wrong package, as I recall.

Anyway, give it a shot and please report back :P

Awesome work Tseug!!!

My system drive just took a turn for the worse (random clicking sounds/system freezes, etc) so I decided to do a full reinstall on a fresh disk. I had to dig around to find this thread (mainly in the outer reaches of my brain to remember the name of the thread) and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it had been updated only a few days earlier!

This latest update makes the install a complete breeze. A couple of years back and it would have been an all day affair! Can't express my thanks enough!

Thanks, I'm quite happy with it myself. I mostly did this to have an easy way to fix things if something went completely wrong with the system (such as a wonky hard drive). I have an 8 GB USB pendrive with the install DVD restored to it and the installer installed to it as well. Incidentally, the drive boots up fine on my macbook as well so I only need the one. :)

By the way, could you test whether wake up from keyboard works for you? I have an Apple bluetooth keyboard which won't work so I can only test wake up from mouse click (which works with the new installer).

Welcome back tseug, and huge thanks for all your work, past and present.

I'm hoping to update my system in the next few days. I was wondering if patching the DSDT.aml is affected by the version of the mobo and/or BIOS version the mobo is running? Just for comparison, what version mobo and motherboard are you running?

Welcome back tseug, and huge thanks for all your work, past and present.

I'm hoping to update my system in the next few days. I was wondering if patching the DSDT.aml is affected by the version of the mobo and/or BIOS version the mobo is running? Just for comparison, what version mobo and motherboard are you running?

See the guide. :wacko:

See the guide. :)

Ah. This?

This has been tested on a GA-P35-DS4 motherboard (rev 1.0) with the F14 BIOS

Do you think mobo version or BIOS version will matter for DSDT.aml? I'm trying not to update my mobo (v2.0) BIOS from F08 as later version make the system fans run at 100%. Though haven't tried F14 which seems to be the latest/last.

Ah. This?

Do you think mobo version or BIOS version will matter for DSDT.aml? I'm trying not to update my mobo (v2.0) BIOS from F08 as later version make the system fans run at 100%. Though haven't tried F14 which seems to be the latest/last.

I don't know. My guess would be no but there's only one way to find out ;)

Hey there, tseug. First thanks for all your efforts in the past and now!!

Using the old methods I had installed a retail SL and had updated to 10.6.2. I never had any luck going beyond that.

I have a EP35-DS3R with a Q6600 and EN9800GTX+. I can use carbon copy cloner to clone my working 10.6.2 and then I always tried upgrading that. I tried it just now with the newly posted installer you posted (http://www.mediafire.com/?b2x02olr3fgfxc1) but didn't have much luck. Well I could still boot off of the cloned 10.6.2 but then I upgraded to 10.6.6 on the clone and then tried to boot it and it kernel panics with a message about sleep enabler. I can get that message for you if you want.

The whole system is still booting off the old old chameleon which is used to boot 10.6.2. Should I try to disconnect all of the drives and follow your steps from beginning to end? Do you think that would help or is the DSDT the wrong one, etc...

Thanks for any pointers!

Richard.

Hey there, tseug. First thanks for all your efforts in the past and now!!

Using the old methods I had installed a retail SL and had updated to 10.6.2. I never had any luck going beyond that.

I have a EP35-DS3R with a Q6600 and EN9800GTX+. I can use carbon copy cloner to clone my working 10.6.2 and then I always tried upgrading that. I tried it just now with the newly posted installer you posted (http://www.mediafire.com/?b2x02olr3fgfxc1) but didn't have much luck. Well I could still boot off of the cloned 10.6.2 but then I upgraded to 10.6.6 on the clone and then tried to boot it and it kernel panics with a message about sleep enabler. I can get that message for you if you want.

The whole system is still booting off the old old chameleon which is used to boot 10.6.2. Should I try to disconnect all of the drives and follow your steps from beginning to end? Do you think that would help or is the DSDT the wrong one, etc...

Thanks for any pointers!

Richard.

If you boot off an old chameleon you will get an instant kernel panic as the new installer rely on RC5 generated P- and C- states. You should probably disconnect the drives as you suggest. With regards to the DSDT I can't really tell you if it will work since I can only test on GA-P35-DS4 but there is a good chance that it will.

Ok... Thanks I will play with this a bit more then and try and disconnect the drives and do a fresh clean install following your instructions. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks!

Richard.

By the way, could you test whether wake up from keyboard works for you? I have an Apple bluetooth keyboard which won't work so I can only test wake up from mouse click (which works with the new installer).

Seems to be working for me. I'm using a 2-3 year old Logitech Wave Wireless KB (IR, not Bluetooth).

However, since I just moved house and don't have internet hooked up yet (just my 500mb allowance on my 3G phone), I haven't done any system updates yet, so it may not work with 10.6.6.

Speaking of updates, do you reckon you'll be supporting us lazy buggers through to 10.7? :)

Seems to be working for me. I'm using a 2-3 year old Logitech Wave Wireless KB (IR, not Bluetooth).

However, since I just moved house and don't have internet hooked up yet (just my 500mb allowance on my 3G phone), I haven't done any system updates yet, so it may not work with 10.6.6.

Speaking of updates, do you reckon you'll be supporting us lazy buggers through to 10.7? :)

I think it is reasonable that this update will last until Lion. If something goes wrong I'll probably take a look, but I won't give you a guarantee :P

I think it is reasonable that this update will last until Lion. If something goes wrong I'll probably take a look, but I won't give you a guarantee :)

Oh, for sure. This will do until Lion. What I was actually asking was whether you had any intention of updating this for Lion itself (when it comes and if it's possible)...

Oh, for sure. This will do until Lion. What I was actually asking was whether you had any intention of updating this for Lion itself (when it comes and if it's possible)...

I couldn't tell you at this point.

Hi Tseug, I am an old fan of DS 4 as you, probably (probably not.. :-) , remember.

Nice reading ur back.

I am just saving some time for reinstall 10.6.6 on a new partition..I left my hackintosh alone for some time :-(

I want know if you consider the mouse click, an operation for activate the wake up from a sleep or a DeeP Sleep; seen in past years I got some issues with that on my vanilla DS4.

Welcome Back, and thanks for ur time.

Hi Tseug, I am an old fan of DS 4 as you, probably (probably not.. :-) , remember.

Nice reading ur back.

I am just saving some time for reinstall 10.6.6 on a new partition..I left my hackintosh alone for some time :-(

I want know if you consider the mouse click, an operation for activate the wake up from a sleep or a DeeP Sleep; seen in past years I got some issues with that on my vanilla DS4.

Welcome Back, and thanks for ur time.

Anyway, give it a shot and please report back :rolleyes:

I'm having problems with video and audio after installing your package. The audio is crackling in and out; I'm just using the DS4's onboard sound. I'm defaulting to 1400x1050 resolution instead of the native 1280x1024 and System Preferences/Displays is offering no other resolutions. I've previously had to workaround my ATI 1950 Pro not being recognized (see link in sig), but now it's worse than before, because the steps I followed aren't seem to working (I adjusted the ATIxxxxx.kext files).

Any ideas on how to fix? Your package wouldn't have changed KEXTs would it? You're installing a customized DSDT, right? I'm wondering if there is a setting/option in Chameleon I need to make or somewhere else...

I'm having problems with video and audio after installing your package. The audio is crackling in and out; I'm just using the DS4's onboard sound. I'm defaulting to 1400x1050 resolution instead of the native 1280x1024 and System Preferences/Displays is offering no other resolutions. I've previously had to workaround my ATI 1950 Pro not being recognized (see link in sig), but now it's worse than before, because the steps I followed aren't seem to working (I adjusted the ATIxxxxx.kext files).

Any ideas on how to fix? Your package wouldn't have changed KEXTs would it? You're installing a customized DSDT, right? I'm wondering if there is a setting/option in Chameleon I need to make or somewhere else...

Could you post your DSDT?

Ok I found the time to do the attempt at a clean install. I unplugged all the sata cables except for the DVD and the one test drive. I then followed the new instructions to the letter.

All the instructions seemed to work in that I could install snow leopard. I could install The GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. I could reboot and boot off the installed volume.

The problem was previously I couldn't update past 10.6.2 so I tried installing the 10.6.6 combo updater and it installed, I then restarted, it got to the chamelon boot screen, I selected the drive, and it started booting and looked like it got part of the way but then failed and switched to a blue screen.

I repeated this several times just to be sure and then booted with -v. Here is the picture right before the blue screen...

Any hints?

Thanks!

post-266786-1299721526_thumb.jpg

Ok I found the time to do the attempt at a clean install. I unplugged all the sata cables except for the DVD and the one test drive. I then followed the new instructions to the letter.

All the instructions seemed to work in that I could install snow leopard. I could install The GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. I could reboot and boot of the installed volume.

The problem was previously I couldn't update past 10.6.2 so I tried installing the 10.6.6 combo updater and it installed, I then restarted, it got to the boot chamelon boot screen I selected the drive and it started booting and looked like it got part of the way but then failed and switched to a blue screen.

I repeated this several times just to be sure and then booted with -v. Here is the picture right before the blue screen...

Any hints?

Thanks!

Try waiting 5 minutes on the blue screen. I get the same blue screen and it takes a while the first time.

Hi there.

I was getting the same annoying blue screen. There is no cursor appearing, nor any window. The solution I found, is to switch over to 32-bit mode. Tseug put a 'arch=x86_32' as kernel flag. Chameleon RC5 needs 'arch=i386' to go to 32-bit mode. Just give it a try!

Greetz Jan

Hi there.

I was getting the same annoying blue screen. There is no cursor appearing, nor any window. The solution I found, is to switch over to 32-bit mode. Tseug put a 'arch=x86_32' as kernel flag. Chameleon RC5 needs 'arch=i386' to go to 32-bit mode. Just give it a try!

Greetz Jan

I was having a different problem - related to video - but this update fixed it. THANKS

Can someone psot a tutorial for p35 ds4 and mac OSX Lion ?! It will be great, (Bios settings, files that you used, etc ) !!!! Thanks in advance

No, no one is going to post a tutorial here. Don't fsck up this thread, which is about installing Snow Leopard. Use the correct forum, post your own thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=226

And OS X Lion hasn't been released yet, it's due 'summer 2011'. If you're so far ahead of the curve, you should be able to figure it out for yourself. Try looking at Netkas's website, for a start.

Hi there.

Greetz Jan

Fixed. Guide updated. Thanks for the heads up :)

Well I tried leaving the machine overnight (ie 8 hours) and it didn't work... :)

I then tried just now changing:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

find there:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_32</string>

But I am still getting the blue screen of death. Do I need to try installing everything again? Is there a different way to say use 32 bit instead of 64 bit?

(I also tried at the chamelon prompt just entering 'arch=i386' and also 'arch=x86_32' but neither of these did anything...)

Thanks!

Richard

Well I tried leaving the machine overnight (ie 8 hours) and it didn't work... :censored2:

I then tried just now changing:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

find there:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_32</string>

But I am still getting the blue screen of death. Do I need to try installing everything again? Is there a different way to say use 32 bit instead of 64 bit?

(I also tried at the chamelon prompt just entering 'arch=i386' and also 'arch=x86_32' but neither of these did anything...)

Thanks!

Richard

change to arch=i386 in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist . /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist should not be touched. That is: undo anything you did to it.