[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Hm, I don't see any purple connectors. Pic 1 / Pic 2. I feel like a fool :D Maybe that blue wide one?

There should be purple connectors on the motherboard. I'm not talking about the actual cables. The blue wide one is an ATA cable, whereas the yellow cables are for SATA drives.

No man, my SATA drive is not external. This is it, the bottom one.

Ok, never mind man, thanks a lot for your help, and I apologize for being so incompetent ;) I'll search what I can find here about SATA drives, cuz there should be something, I rememebr I had troubles with the SATA drive when installing Leopard, but somehow found some boot CD which loaded the installation with no troubles.

Has anyone had an issue restarting? GA-EP35-DS3P?

When I attempt a restart, I get the "you must restart your mac..." in several different languages, and a crash obviously.

I had restart issues using 10.5.x - the screen would power off and just sit there - but these were fixed by PCwiz's neat set of utilities.

I have attached system.log and windowserver.log - can please someone point me in the right direction here?

PS: can someone recommend a good learners guide to DSDT? The blackosx, koalala ones etc all say stuff like "thanks to all the other guides" but all the other guides I can find on here are for the intermediate / advanced user, or the articles refer to other advanced articles themselves!

system.log.rtf

windowserver.log.rtf

worked flawlessly w/ only the exception of no sound but shouldn't be too hard to fix. oh, also, when copy the hex string into the com.apple.Boot.plist , i had to do that in the terminal w/ sudo and vim cuz it would let me save it w/ Texteditor.

GA-P35-DS4

dual core 3MHz

2 GB ram

NVidia 8600GT 256MB

up and running. i actually had my 10 year old do it as i walked him thru it :rolleyes: followed immediately up w/ the 10.6.1 update and reboot w/o issue

thanks!

-----edit: just ran the ALC888 installer pkg per the line on the front page and rebooted and sound is up.

Hi all:

Thanks for the guide and bootcd. I've a P35-DS4 with 8600GT nVidia card. I have got quite far but still needs help to pull through.

1. I have installed 10.6 onto its own hard drive. I can even boot into it. However, I cannot install the GA-P35-DS4 packages. I checked there are /Extra and /Extra/Extensions as suggested.

2. I also don't have Sound during installation. I remembered the sound driver is AL889. I have also tried to install the AL888, but it complained and returned the same message as when tried to install the snow package.

3. Once booted into Snow Leopard, the system becomes unstable and would reboot on its own. Once rebooted, it corrupted the BIOS setting and the only resolution I have found to revive the computer is to unmount the Lithium Ion Battery for the CMOS. Otherwise, the computer keeps looping in boot-quit. I see it's expected to corrupt the BIOS, but I didn't expect it would require removing the Li battery.

@rsdecoder: When you can say you boot into it, do you mean from the actual HDD, or still from the BootCD?

If it's with the aid of the BootCD, you'll need to install Chameleon RC3 (That's where the /Extra and /Extra/Extensions folders come from)

The GA-P35-DS4 package however needs to be installed when NOT RUNNING Snow Leopard from the HDD (This should be ran when Snow Leopard is just installed, and you've booted from the BootCD the 2nd time (the 1st to actually installed Snow Leopard on). The reason the GA-P35-DS4 package doesn't install when installed from your booted live installation, is because it's the boot drive.

From what I can tell about the CMOS resetting itself, that's only ever happened when there was no DSDT present (The DSDT is generated for your board when doing the GA-P35-DS4 package installation, but seeing as that failed, it's not present ofcourse)

worked flawlessly w/ only the exception of no sound but shouldn't be too hard to fix. oh, also, when copy the hex string into the com.apple.Boot.plist , i had to do that in the terminal w/ sudo and vim cuz it would let me save it w/ Texteditor.

GA-P35-DS4

dual core 3MHz

2 GB ram

NVidia 8600GT 256MB

up and running. i actually had my 10 year old do it as i walked him thru it ;) followed immediately up w/ the 10.6.1 update and reboot w/o issue

thanks!

-----edit: just ran the ALC888 installer pkg per the line on the front page and rebooted and sound is up.

Well, GA-P35-DS4 has ALC889A, so that's pretty weird. If I run the ALC888 installer, my sound stops working as expected. :(

Just wanted to say thanks for that guide - worked without problems (P35-DS4).

It's for 10.6.x what LS8's guide was for 10.5x - simply great!

For those who are trying to get their GTX260 to work, they could try my com.apple.boot.plist here (I am using an ASUS ENGTX260 HTDP):

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7c8a9fb...04e75f6e8ebb871

I had to install everything with my old graphic card, then I followed a guide from aquamac (http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=569. With the appropriate EFI string I was finally able to use the new card.

Hope this helps others with the same card too.

@rsdecoder: When you can say you boot into it, do you mean from the actual HDD, or still from the BootCD?

If it's with the aid of the BootCD, you'll need to install Chameleon RC3 (That's where the /Extra and /Extra/Extensions folders come from)

The GA-P35-DS4 package however needs to be installed when NOT RUNNING Snow Leopard from the HDD (This should be ran when Snow Leopard is just installed, and you've booted from the BootCD the 2nd time (the 1st to actually installed Snow Leopard on). The reason the GA-P35-DS4 package doesn't install when installed from your booted live installation, is because it's the boot drive.

From what I can tell about the CMOS resetting itself, that's only ever happened when there was no DSDT present (The DSDT is generated for your board when doing the GA-P35-DS4 package installation, but seeing as that failed, it's not present ofcourse)

I booted from the HDD. I'll try to boot from the BootCD , Retail DVD, and installed the Packages.

Hi Kludgedean:

I tried booting up with BootCD and Install DVD. However, I can't find a way to install the GA-P35-DS4 package. I opened Terminal and start Installer.app but still cannot install the package.

Alternatively, I also tried booting up with 10.5, then install the GA-P35-DS4 package onto the new drive "snow". It went further, but still complained the postupgrade script cannot run.

Should I re-install Snow Leopard? Or is there a way to install the package from a 10.5 system?

Many thanks.

How do you run your DSDT patcher? Do I need ruby on rails installed?

You need to run it in the terminal. That is, type ./patcher.rb from within the patcher directory.

a quickie... when I try to execute ./patcher.rb I get "Permission denied." When I run "sudo ./patcher.rb" I get "command not found." What am I doing wrong? Thank you -

Hey There,

I have a GA-P35-DS4 rev 2 board and I can't get past Step 2) "When Chameleon boots up, insert your Snow Leopard Retail DVD into your drive, then press F5. The Snow Leopard DVD should now show up. If it doesn't, open and close the drive, and press F5 again. Select the DVD, press -v and press enter."

When I select the DVD and type -V it starts to go to the Snow Leopard install screen but just sits there. I have installed a Vanilla Install with Retail Leopard 10.5.4 with no problem. No matter what I do I can't get into the Install screen. I even tried with a thumb drive but it still gets stuck at that point. Any Ideas? I have everything set the way you say in the guide. The only thing I can think of is maybe my ATI Radeon HD 3780 card?

Thanks.

Thanks to kludgedean for the answer. Now I understand a little bit more about DSDT.

I'm happy to report that I menaged to do successfull install whit this guide on this board: GA EP35-DS3.

Install package works like a charm on this board (sound and ethernet works great). It fixed my shutdown problem from Leopard (computer was booting by itself 5 to 10 min after shutdown). The only thing that doesn't work is deep sleep which I dont use anyway.

Of course, the only thing that I didn't folow is efi studio part. I added gfx string with osx86tools (XFX GeForce 9500 GT 512MB).

One strange thing was:

After I booted from boot CD, pressed F5 and Chameleon showed Snow Leo DVD my BIOS settings were already messed up (before I started installation) and naturally installation failed (didn't go further than grey apple logo). After failed installation I looked into BIOS which was showing that my hard drive and DVD burner were connected to IDE port which is not case (they are connected to SATA) and keyboard was not recognized because usb support was off.

After a few attempts it just worked once (BIOS was not messed up already in chameleon and installation was successfull).

Anyway thanks for the easy and straightforward guide.

BTW. This is my first retail install.

You need to run it in the terminal. That is, type ./patcher.rb from within the patcher directory.

a quickie... when I try to execute ./patcher.rb I get "Permission denied." When I run "sudo ./patcher.rb" I get "command not found." What am I doing wrong? Thank you -

You should download the standalone patcher. I'm assuming you are trying to run it from the installer source. I did write that it was present there, but there is a slight difference between it and the standalone version. My bad :)

BTW, you should be able to run it by drag and dropping the standalone Patcher.rb into a terminal window and pressing enter.