Snow Leopard And Evga Gtx 295

Wyzco

160 posts in this topic

i just tried downloading it and it worked for me, but it would also be brilliant if you could mirror it!

just send me the link i can add it to the guide post.

hey, sorry for not replying i prepared a huge long post in regards to your last post, but i accidently shut down my machine before i posted it ;) so this post is a lot shorter.

i found a good guide (actually the only guide) for how to make nVidia EFI strings here:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0

its a basic guide for making a string for single gpu cards. of course for a card with dual gpus you will need two gpu entries like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[url="http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"]http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd[/url]">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>@0,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
	<key>@0,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@0,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>
	<key>@1,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@1,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
	<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>
	<string>0x01000000</string>
	<key>@2,#size-cells</key>
	<string>0x00000000</string>
	<key>@2,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>
	<key>@2,device_type</key>
	<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>
	<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>
	<string>0x02000000</string>
	<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>
	<key>@2,name</key>
	<string>sensor-parent</string>
	<key>@2,reg</key>
	<key>NVCAP</key>
	<data>
	BQAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAACwAAAAA=
	</data>
	<key>NVPM</key>
	<data>
	AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
	</data>
	<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
	<data>
	AAAAOA==
	</data>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
	<key>model</key>
	<string>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295</string>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
	<key>rom-revision</key>
	<string>62.00.6C.00.05</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>@0,compatible</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@0,name</key>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@1,name</key>
	<key>@2,compatible</key>
	<key>@2,name</key>
	<key>@2,reg</key>
	<key>NVCAP</key>
	<data>
	</data>
	<key>NVPM</key>
	<data>
	</data>
	<data>
	AAAAOA==
	</data>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<key>model</key>
	<key>name</key>
	<key>rom-revision</key>
	<string>62.00.6C.00.04</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

rather just one gpu entry like this:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[url="http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"]http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd[/url]">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>@0,compatible</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@0,name</key>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@1,name</key>
	<key>@2,compatible</key>
	<key>@2,name</key>
	<key>@2,reg</key>
	<key>NVCAP</key>
	<data>
	</data>
	<key>NVPM</key>
	<data>
	</data>
	<data>
	AAAAOA==
	</data>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<key>model</key>
	<key>name</key>
	<key>rom-revision</key>
	<string>62.00.6C.00.05</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

i also found this guide which might help: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76

also beware the device-id situation for your card - device id is a number that every graphicscard has in os x.

it basicly tells a graphics kext what graphics cards it can be used with. apple include a lot of device-ids in their kexts (wierdly they often include cards device-ids that they dont officially support), but some cards device-ids arent included - this was the case for the GTX295. your cards device-id may or may not be included in OSX already. im not really sure how you find out the device-id of your card...... but i found this which may help: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t36764.html

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/kext-mod this was the best guide i could find showing you how to add your device-id

if its not included in OSX. If your device-id is not included in OSX, and you have confirmed which added device-id works, i can show you how to make an injector kext (like the NVGTX295.Fix.kext included in my pack) to do this automaticly so you dont have to edit the kext.

also, i would recommend not trying to guess the pciroots as it might take forever and might damage your computer

good luck! perhaps if you want to continue the discussion, you might want to start a new thread for your card?

Once again, thanks for another thougtful reply. I've only got a few minutes here because i get to go help some friends move today :) I have found out quite a bit more info since my last post, and I'll definitely take a look at the posts you linked here. Since my last post I actually have the card working at least to the extent of getting all the resolutions enabled and what looks to be system profiler recognizing both gpus, but I still have no QE/CI.

When I have more time tonight or tomorrow I will start a new thread as you suggested and hopefully get this card working! I'll refer to some of the info here and post some of the knowledge I've gained in the meantime. I expect this and the other thread I create will be a good resource for future hackers trying to get multi-gpu single slot cards going in os x.

Adobe says you need a GTX 285 for Mercury Playback Engine in the new Adobe Premiere CS 5 for OS X. But I somehow suspect a GTX 295 will work as well with a little ole osx86 ingenuity!

Can anyone confirm that the Mercury Playback Engine works with GTX 295?

I will write a tutorial on how to do this:

Step 1. You must have a 64bit CPU to run Premiere CS5 (Core Duo or below will not work)

Step 2. Download free trial of Premiere pro CS 5 and install it: Click here to download

Step 3. Download the latest CUDA Driver from nvidia: Click here to download

Step 4. Restart your machine for the new drivers to load

Step 4. Now that the new drivers and Pemiere pro cs 5 are installed were going to add the GTX 295 card to the: cuda_supported_cards.txt file.

Open the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 folder in your Applications folder:

- Right click or control click on the Premire CS 5 application and select: "Show Package Contents"

- Now Open the "Contents" folder, then open the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file and add:

"GeForce GTX 295" to the list and save the file"

Step 5. That's it. Boot Premiere and go to your project setting / general and activate CUDA

Thanks, let me know of your success please

Is there a way to get the gtx295 working with kakewalk? Also, are there methods now that don't involve using an OS X tower? That part got me confused?

I'm new to this, so a lot of the EFI string stuff is over my head. Are there any resources that you can point me to that further explain the process, or screen shots/videos that show it?

I'm a huge n00b, sorry.

Also, are there methods now that don't involve using an OS X tower? That part got me confused?

hey you dont need an OS X tower at all to install 295

Is there a way to get the gtx295 working with kakewalk?

I'm new to this, so a lot of the EFI string stuff is over my head. Are there any resources that you can point me to that further explain the process, or screen shots/videos that show it?

have you taken a look at my guide? it should explain everything in a lot of detail.

Specificly for you i think you should follow the instructions below to be able to boot into OSX in order to go through the steps of the 295 install guide. i cannot guarentee it will work though as kakewalk may install its own graphics kexts which might conflict. if kakewalk is you will have to find out what graphics kexts kakewalk has installed and uninstall them (if you find out the names of any graphics kexts kakewalk is installing tell me and i can give you some commands that will uninstall them from single user mode).

follow these steps:

1. after youve installed kakewalk, boot your new machine

2. at the boot screen press any key to stop the auto boot

3. type -s and press enter

4. type this at the prompt, pressing enter at the end of each line:

/sbin/mount -uw /

mkdir /kext_backup

mv /System/Library/Extensions/NV* /kext_backup

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

reboot

5. after rebooting go through the steps of my 295 guide

6. after youve added the EFI string, dont reboot but open a terminal window and type these commands, pressing enter at the end of each line:

mv /kext_backup/* /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NV*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NV*

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

rm -rf /kext_backup

reboot

7. you should now reboot into a nice osx with full 295 compatibility

I'm a huge n00b, sorry.

we all were at some point! (especially me, i wrote this guide shortly after ascending out of nOSX86bish-ness)

this worked for my CO-OP EVGA 295 ... Has anyone got this working for a dual 295 in quad SLI. My system is dual booting for gaming and would like to know if this is possible.

it is possible, the member meroy posted some info about that.

there wont however be a way as easy as the pack, you will have to get down with gfxutil manually in order to write a plist that you can convert to hex. if you can be bothered yes it is possible, but its fairly complicated.

he wrote a post here and another post here

it shouldnt be hard to do, its just that he doesnt really explain it that well. however, i cannot guarantee that it will work as i do not have two 295's to test.

Also, there is no SLI support in OSX, so the SLI bridge wont function (you may even need to remove it if it causes problems).

to sum up the info for you and others:

For GTX295 Dual Cards

1.BACKUP YOUR WORKING com.apple.boot.plist to root (drag and drop it to your hardrive icon)

Temporarily uninstall your efistring and NVGTX295.Fix.kext

2.Put only one 295 in your computer, boot up with -x use the 295.PciRoot.Finder included in my GTX295.EFiPack_v1.1.dmg to get the pciroots for the 295 in that pci slot. make a new textedit file and copy and paste the pciroots - put it under the heading: first 295 pciroots. Save it.

3.Shutdown, move the same 295 to the other pci slot you will be using and repeat the same process, open the same textedit file but save these pciroots under the heading: second 295 pciroots. Save it, and dont shutdown.

This should leave you with a text document that looks something like this:

first 295 pciroots

PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

second 295 pciroots

PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x6,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x6,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

4.Ive attached to this post two plists. One is for two Single PCB cards, the other for two Dual PCB cards.

Choose the one that suits your configuration and edit the PciRoots in it to match those in the text file you made. Make sure the pciroots match the order in which they are in your text file.

5.In the same zip there is gfxutil. Put gfxutil and the plist you want to convert to hex in the root of your drive. (Drag them onto your Macintosh HD)

6.Open a new Terminal window and copy&paste these commands and press enter if you want to convert the singlepcb plist:

/gfxutil -i xml -o hex /singlepcb_dual.plist /singlepcb_dual.hex

or these commands if you want to convert the dualpcb plist:

/gfxutil -i xml -o hex /dualpcb_v2_dual.plist /dualpcb_v2_dual.hex

7. a .hex file is generated to root. Open this with textedit. This is your new efistring. Put it in your com.apple.boot.plist as instructed in my guide post. Re-install the NVGTX295.Fix.kext and regenerate kextcaches (use kextutility)

8. Shutdown, put both your 295's in your computers slots that you found the pciroots for.

9. you may need to configure some bios stuff so that the card you have your monitor plugged into is the one thats initialised first. Also, its possible that only one cards display outputs will work.

10. Boot up and bask in the heat your working dual 295s are putting into your room!

How to revert if it does not work:

If it does not work and you backed up your old com.apple.boot.plist, you can go back to a single card configuration by booting with -s and typing these commands, pressing enter at the end of each line:

/sbin/mount -uw /

mkdir /dual_295_efistring_in_boot

mv /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist /dual_295_efistring_in_boot

mv /com.apple.boot.plist /Extra

reboot

You would also have to only have a 295 in the slot you were using before as a single card.

GTX.295.DUALCARDS.zip

BTW, off topic again but if anyone in the future ever comes looking for answers to the 7950 GX2 issues, I got none... I finally just replaced the card with a GTS 250 and it works perfectly out of the box :P

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Anarchitosh.

After some minor troubles I´m finally using my GTX 295.

I am pretty sure that my card is a dual pcb and at first in system profiler the gpu´s were reported with different ID´s so I used the double pcb script, then restart and after the Chameleon screen nothing not even with GraphicsEnabler=n command.

So I used the 123 boot loader to select my HDD and enter the command and everything was like before GTX not working properly,a little check on System Profiler and the gpu´s were with the same ID´s,so I tryied the single pcb script and voilá. The GTX working properly and with all the memory reported on each gpu but the RAM now is reported like DDR2@800MHz.

The card is a XFX Model No GX-295N-HW, Part No GX-295-HWFC Ver. 1.1 with 2 DVI outs (actually using 1 DVI to VGA adapter and 1 DVI to HDMI adapter but no sound,I was previously on windows 7 and the sound was O.K.)

I´m still going to check how to correct the RAM speed and type.

Thanks Again.

How to get your GTX 295 working with

 Snow Leopard Step-by-Step

Brilliant work Anarch! I picked up a GTX295 Coop, removed my EFI string, booted into OSX in VESA mode, ran your script, added the new EFI, plopped the Fix kext into Extra/Extensions, and everything's working perfectly--that was just too easy!

I can get SL booted and updated to 10.6.3, but after following the guide with the 295 download pack, I can't boot. It hangs on "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Initialization complete" and then hits the "Still waiting for root device" prompt. I could boot perfectly before following the directions using -x GraphicsEnabler=No, but not that won't work after trying the directions to get the GTX 295 working.

I have an EVGA GTX 295 co op and followed the directions for the single PCB.

The only thing I'm not absolutely clear on is that which com.apple.boot.plist file should be edited? There's one in /Extra and one in /library/etension (don't remember the exact location off the top of my head. I tried replacing one, then the other with the hex value but neither worked correctly.

I can get SL booted and updated to 10.6.3, but after following the guide with the 295 download pack, I can't boot. It hangs on "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Initialization complete" and then hits the "Still waiting for root device" prompt. I could boot perfectly before following the directions using -x GraphicsEnabler=No, but not that won't work after trying the directions to get the GTX 295 working.

I have an EVGA GTX 295 co op and followed the directions for the single PCB.

The only thing I'm not absolutely clear on is that which com.apple.boot.plist file should be edited? There's one in /Extra and one in /library/etension (don't remember the exact location off the top of my head. I tried replacing one, then the other with the hex value but neither worked correctly.

hi village idiot, ive updated the guide post. my error, you should only edit the one in /Extra. this false information was a hangover from when i wrote the guide in my younger, more noobish days ;)

you could try also putting in the entry:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

as well as the efistring. It may be an idea to check the other one doesnt still have hex in it. Remember, it has worked for many people, so there must be something you are doing differently/wrong. Good luck!

Hi ANARCHiNTOSH...

It seems I can't get this to work on my Zotac GTX295, dual PCB.

I've put the kext in the Extensions folder, disabled the GraphicsEnabler... And after

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 1 memory monitor trough MCA

just a blank screen pops up, and the monitor shuts down.

Could you please, please help me?

Hi ANARCHiNTOSH...

It seems I can't get this to work on my Zotac GTX295, dual PCB.

I've put the kext in the Extensions folder, disabled the GraphicsEnabler... And after

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 1 memory monitor trough MCA

just a blank screen pops up, and the monitor shuts down.

Could you please, please help me?

have you put the efistring made by "EFIString for DualPCB" in boot.plist and refreshed kext caches? the kext is only a device-id injector, not a full graphics injector

hope it works

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya ANARCHiNTOSH

Thanks for all your hard work :unsure:

Anyone had this running on 10.6.4?

I have a KP on boot (grey screen of death asks to reboot)

been reading all the threads connected to the GTX295, cant see what's going wrong.

I have a dual PCB GTX295 bios versions 62 00 6C 00 01/2

I also have a GTX8800 that works fine on this rig

I managed to get the 295 booting with the EFI string intact in boot.plist but only in VESA 1024*768 this was done by removing the NVSMU.kext by a process of elimination.

any ideas?

Hiya ANARCHiNTOSH

Thanks for all your hard work :thumbsup_anim:

Anyone had this running on 10.6.4?

I have a KP on boot (grey screen of death asks to reboot)

been reading all the threads connected to the GTX295, cant see what's going wrong.

I have a dual PCB GTX295 bios versions 62 00 6C 00 01/2

I also have a GTX8800 that works fine on this rig

I managed to get the 295 booting with the EFI string intact in boot.plist but only in VESA 1024*768 this was done by removing the NVSMU.kext by a process of elimination.

any ideas?

hey no problem!

i unfortunately do not have my 295 any more and cannot test 10.6.4

could more people please report their results

apple are making quite a few changes to their NV* kexts these days, so its possible support may be broken

Thanks ANARCHiNTOSH!

I followed your instructions in post #33, I have just installed iATKOS S3 v2-Great installer btw...

All i had to do was disable the sleepenabler in the boot list like you said.

Then i googled around trying to find out if my card was 1 or 2 pcb. Turns out its 1 pcb, it looks like this card-Gigabyte GV-N295-18I-B rev2.0 GeForce GTX 295.

I generated the string and put it into my boot.plist as you directed, rebooted and WA LA, 1920x1600 with everything running smooth.

Cheers mate!

-benos. :wacko:

Help! I've been using the GTX 260 for my SL. I recently upgraded to the EVGA GTX 295 Co-op card. After I installed the GTX 295, my SL wouldn't boot. Got stuck at the gray screen telling me to power down and reboot.

How can I get to the desktop? Do I reinstall the GTX 260 to get back to the desktop and install the ATY.295.Fix kext? Then shutdown, install the GTX 295 and then reboot?

Sorry for the totally noobie questions. :-)

Help! I've been using the GTX 260 for my SL. I recently upgraded to the EVGA GTX 295 Co-op card. After I installed the GTX 295, my SL wouldn't boot. Got stuck at the gray screen telling me to power down and reboot.

How can I get to the desktop? Do I reinstall the GTX 260 to get back to the desktop and install the ATY.295.Fix kext? Then shutdown, install the GTX 295 and then reboot?

Sorry for the totally noobie questions. :-)

lolz. that gray screen is a kernal panic (kp).

make a forum signature, because if you are a noob and need to ask a lot of help questions, people need to know what hardware/bootloader you are using, and if you are using a distro (iATKOS) or vanilla etc

its very hard for me to advise you what to do when i dont know how your system is configured.

what you need to do is put the gtx260 back in. remove the stuff that was making your gtx260 work (were you using a special kext like NVEnabler, or were you using GraphicsEnabler, or were you using a special dsdt entry?)

basicly you need to completely disable whatever was making your gtx260 work and then reboot with gtx295 and install the efistring.

however, for total noobs, i suggest just doing a fresh snow leopard install, updating to 10.6.3 and then following my guide. its the only noob-proof way. gd luck!

• 3 weeks later...
hey everyone, whats the deal with 10.6.3?

I have an Asus GTX 295 dual pcb with bios 62.00.45.00.01/2

With 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 I have problems when I reboot the pc........ I have blank screen without signal on the monitor, so I cannot see the post messages. To restore the video I have to boot in win7 (blank screen until the desktop fires up and reinitialize the card) or unplug the power cord for 15 minutes.

With 10.6.0, 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 everything works perfectly..........

Anyone has problems like mine ?

With 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 I have problems when I reboot the pc........ I have blank screen without signal on the monitor, so I cannot see the post messages. To restore the video I have to boot in win7 (blank screen until the desktop fires up and reinitialize the card) or unplug the power cord for 15 minutes.

perhaps it might be an idea to try using NVIDIA kexts from 10.6.2 in 10.6.3/10.6.4? You can use Pacifist and the 10.6.2 Update Disk Image to get the kexts. Try replacing all kexts beginning with NV

gl

perhaps it might be an idea to try using NVIDIA kexts from 10.6.2 in 10.6.3/10.6.4? You can use Pacifist and the 10.6.2 Update Disk Image to get the kexts. Try replacing all kexts beginning with NV

gl

ANARCHiNTOSH:

Ah, I think getting somewhere now!

I've read something similar before about using old kexts

I replaced the kexts, booted, but got a small windowed KP just before it booted to the desktop ,

more importantly it changed resolution!!

in the thread I read before ( which I cant find :-<) there was fix by editing a NV kext with the device ID (I think) poss NVDAN50HAL?

can you please help my friend?

TIA

Did you ever find a guide?

Im running a GTX285 OCX ...everything SEEMS to run fine but when geekbench crashes so im thinking my video card isnt installed right.

I also am purchasing a 295 hydrocooled so I could really use the guide!

thanks!

K

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planing in upgrade my gtx285 whit a gtx295 ( asus dual pcb)

And i need know if the ANARCHiNTOSH advice ( use the 10.6.2 kext in 10.6.4 ) work for you.

Thanks !