[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

if it is your second mac you could put the HDD in another mac and delete the sleepenabler.kext file from the extensions folder

ok i'll try that

regarding sleep, i had some problems too before, but i finally managed to make it work.

you have to use pleasesleep, it works great

ok i'll try that

regarding sleep, i had some problems too before, but i finally managed to make it work.

you have to use pleasesleep, it works great

I used please sleep and had no luck......it restarts computer when I wake it up.....I go to sleep....press button on the keyboard and I boot from scratch

if it is your second mac you could put the HDD in another mac and delete the sleepenabler.kext file from the extensions folder

worked.

removed sleepenabler and was able to boot again.

in fact, it was the "old" sleepenabler that caused KP

I put the updated one for 10.6.4 in S/L/E and it is fine now.

I also mention that now wake up from sleep WITH airport reconnected works.

My problem was motherboard-related. the G41M-ES2L is ok but the EP45-DS4 would disable my wifi when going to sleep. This is weird.

i'm trying to find out if it is maybe dsdt related also

CyberCap just to let you know I wanted to delete a kext file and didn't have a second mac.

Boot from your installation disk....go to terminal

/Volumes/XXXXX/Extra/Extensions

rm -rf SleepEnabler.kext

Replace the X's with the name of the Hard Drive you installed the OS to. All you have to do is type the first letter then hit tab...it should fill out the rest.

I don't think you need the sleepenabler by the way. I did what Ridgeline just said and I am 100% up and running now.

Thank you Kurto2021 :)

Here is my problem :

I built a hac on this great board, everything worked great mainly thanks to ridgeline and others; then i went for a gigabyte EP45-DS4 because the G41M had only 2 memory slots and only 4 sata slots (the EP45 has 4 mem slots and 6 satas and more usb also).

The install on the EP45-DS4 wasn't as easy as the G41M but i finally made it work. Just one problem I couldn't mangage to solve (and i tried all the solutions in the world) which is : The true apple airport card that i added in a pci-e slot wouldn't work after waking up from sleep. Airport is disabled (empty triangle in menubar and no way to switch it back on until reboot).

I see that others have this problem but i also see that for some people it works ok, airport reconnects as soon as the hac is woken up.

This made me think that as strange as it may be, it could be motherboard related so i re-built a hac in a second case with my former G41M and put the airport card in it and it works, it reconnects to my wifi straight away !!

The last chance is that at the moment i'm not using a DSDT on my EP45-DS4, so i tried to download one from kext.com and install it but it gives me a KP :) (now we've come to the point and the question you gently answered)

As i'm not sure that i can find a "old" gigabyte board with 4 ddr2 mem slots and 6 sata that can wake my airport up with success, i'm on the way to reinstall my G41M and content myself with it.

...unless someone helps me to get through with the a dsdt :)

note: i'm not using any cpu power saving (disabled in bios), i just want to make it sleep after 1 hour which pleasesleep does well.

Thank you for reading, your headache will soon be gone :D

Thank you Kurto2021 :)

Here is my problem :

I built a hac on this great board, everything worked great mainly thanks to ridgeline and others; then i went for a gigabyte EP45-DS4 because the G41M had only 2 memory slots and only 4 sata slots (the EP45 has 4 mem slots and 6 satas and more usb also).

The install on the EP45-DS4 wasn't as easy as the G41M but i finally made it work. Just one problem I couldn't mangage to solve (and i tried all the solutions in the world) which is : The true apple airport card that i added in a pci-e slot wouldn't work after waking up from sleep. Airport is disabled (empty triangle in menubar and no way to switch it back on until reboot).

I see that others have this problem but i also see that for some people it works ok, airport reconnects as soon as the hac is woken up.

This made me think that as strange as it may be, it could be motherboard related so i re-built a hac in a second case with my former G41M and put the airport card in it and it works, it reconnects to my wifi straight away !!

The last chance is that at the moment i'm not using a DSDT on my EP45-DS4, so i tried to download one from kext.com and install it but it gives me a KP :D (now we've come to the point and the question you gently answered)

As i'm not sure that i can find a "old" gigabyte board with 4 ddr2 mem slots and 6 sata that can wake my airport up with success, i'm on the way to reinstall my G41M and content myself with it.

...unless someone helps me to get through with the a dsdt :)

note: i'm not using any cpu power saving (disabled in bios), i just want to make it sleep after 1 hour which pleasesleep does well.

Thank you for reading, your headache will soon be gone :D

while I can see the 2 memory slots being an issue the 4 SATA aren't enough? How many hard drives do you need? I refuse to use a drive smaller than 1 Tb unless it is an SSD.

I will be of no help on the other board as I do not have one and haven't expericienced the issue you are having. One solution could be to get a PCI wireless adapater instead of what you are using but that costs money.

Personally I am already looking at i7 boards now and think I am going to make a move soon. I wonder how Much I could sell this damn thing for running Mac OSX

I can deal with 2 memory slots as i bought 4gb ram sticks so 8gb is fine for heavy photoshop stuff with other applications running but 4 sata slots is not enough.

I have a X-25M 80gb SSD, a blu-ray writer, a 1,5Tb disk and a 1Tb disk.

The big disk is used only for photo sessions. The second one is for downloads, videos and all my music.

I would also like to have a W7 running via a bootcamp install.

Anyway, if i can't get it to work, i'll grab the G41M again which is a great board and install OSX is a breeze.

I'm not trying to find another old board of that kind because i'm not sure that the pci-e waking will work.

and new boards use new cpu socket, new memory, lots of change.

my airport card is the best solution and guaranteed to work (no kext needed) so this is fine.

I have to try with a DSDT but the 2 i i tried give me KPs.

I have a modified bios which may be the problem, and if the DSDT wants to rule the powersaving and everything is off in bios it might not be so happy

I have to reflash the last f10b bios for my EP45 and try with the most genuine DSDT possible.

It is said that one of the problem with having a dsdt is when adding new pci card it might give KP , this is probably what i'm going through

I updated to 10.6.5 this evening. Install went great. Boot time is GREATLY extended after the update. Lost sound, as others have noted. Lost the ability to sleep as well.
The lost sleep, is this with RidgeLine's DSDT or something else?

I updated to 10.6.5 this evening. Install went great. Boot time is GREATLY extended after the update. Lost sound, as others have noted. Lost the ability to sleep as well.

Any solution for sound?

[Edit]

after installing http://www.ridgel1ne.com/OSX86/Downloads_f...DAInstaller.pkg

and running Kext utility for repairing permissions,than restarting, everything is ok :)

I've installed 10.6.5 update, it seems to have broken video. I get a blue screen when loading programs which change resolution and when changing desktop pictures.

repairing permissions and rebooting did the trick when i had that kind of pb

Yes, it was with one of Ridgeline's DSDT's.. I guess I should have run kextutil and repaired permissions.. Ooops.. Stupid me, I ran ridgeline's install program, which has ALWAYS failed on me, and go figure, it failed again, now it's not booting. I get a kernel panic.. You'd think that bug would have been fixed by now.

Update: Tried something different this time.. I ran the MyHack installer.. Rebooted and everything is golden. Boots up very fast now, sleeps properly, and sound is working again.

what video card you using

nvidia 8600gt 512 mg ddr2

repairing permissions and rebooting did the trick when i had that kind of pb

thought of that myself today at work - just got home and trying now.

nvidia 8600gt 512 mg ddr2

thought of that myself today at work - just got home and trying now.

No, same old blue screen.

I ran the update through the regular software update and everything went fine. I did lose sound though but following what Milanche78 said worked perfect.

I also checked my video card because I have a 9500GT, just to make sure it was running ok and it seems to be doing better than before. Sorry jotunloki but it looks like that may be isolated to that particular card. I figured mine would be screwed too since our models are fairly close but that doesn't seem to be the case.