[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

i wouldnt use this bios update that i told you about. it was suppose to be acpi compliant for windows 7 but its not.

and no one on that thread is replying.

iv tryed to reflash my bios but it would see any drives execpt for floppy a.

i tried formating my usb to fat32, fat,ntfs, and all the mac formats but quick flash wont see it.

i tried running windows 7 in vmware fusion but it wont give me permissions to run the bios.exe file.

i am probably just going to go out and buy another g41m-es2l board this morning.

i do like the macbios because it has a apple splash screen and i didnt have to use my dsdt for anything. that bios for our boards automaticlly recognized what cpu i had and everything but i cant run windows on a seperate harddrive.

so if your not worried about running windows it is a good bios to use.

i wouldnt use this bios update that i told you about. it was suppose to be acpi compliant for windows 7 but its not.

i tried formating my usb to fat32, fat,ntfs, and all the mac formats but quick flash wont see it.

i tried running windows 7 in vmware fusion but it wont give me permissions to run the bios.exe file.

i am probably just going to go out and buy another g41m-es2l board this morning.

i do like the macbios because it has a apple splash screen and i didnt have to use my dsdt for anything. that bios for our boards automaticlly recognized what cpu i had and everything but i cant run windows on a seperate harddrive.

edit:

iv tryed to reflash my bios but it "would not" see any drives execpt for floppy a

Have any of you guys using HDMI port had any issues with a light blue screen, since I started using HDMI and turn the pc on sometimes after the apple gray booting screen the screen stays light blue, you can see the hard drive running but it just stays there nothing comes up, I hit the reset button and the second time it loads normally. Any advice will help.

Have any of you guys using HDMI port had any issues with a light blue screen, since I started using HDMI and turn the pc on sometimes after the apple gray booting screen the screen stays light blue, you can see the hard drive running but it just stays there nothing comes up, I hit the reset button and the second time it loads normally. Any advice will help.

???

???

No i am using a geforce gt 220 1024 and it worked natively. what kext are you running in e/e and do you have

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

in your com.apple.boot.plist?

have you tryed taking the card out and putting it back in?

What kind of graphics card do you have?

edit:

iv tryed to reflash my bios but it "would not" see any drives execpt for floppy a

edit:

I got my bios to flash. i had to set my usb drive to Master Boot Record not GUID.

here is the tool

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434

if anyone wants to try it out.

I got my bios to flash. i had to set my usb drive to Master Boot Record not GUID.

here is the tool

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434

if anyone wants to try it out.

@nandor690

I have been following Cartri's work to develop a BIOS to make hackintoshes out of Gigabyte's P43 and P45 series boards. Cartri has said on many occassions that he is NOT going to make his BIOS work on our G41 boards primarily because our board is not ICH10.

I was lucky enough to pick up a EP43-UD3L at a good price so I installed Cartri's BIOS to see for myself if it was better than the methods iRobie and Ridgeline have developed for our G41m-ES2L.

After working with both systems for about a month now, I have to say that both are rock solid, but I like the G41 machine better than the P43. I just wish the G41 had more SATA ports; that is the reason I picked up the P43. I can't seem to get the G41 to recognize any HDs connected to a PCIe SATA card. I've tried both a JMB and a Silicon Image based card and I'm just not smart enough to get either to work.

The main advantage of the G41 system is that I feel safer about upgrading. With Cartri's BIOS, everything works, but if 10.6.5 breaks something, I have to wait for Cartri to fix it. With the G41, there are a lot of people (who post here) who will be working on fixing the problem. Furthermore, I am beginning to understand how iRobie and Ridgeline's methods make our boards work, whereas with the P43, Cartri's BIOS is just magic to me.

At some point, when the prices for i7s, DDR3 ram, and H55 boards come down, I'll upgrade and probably use Cartri's BIOS. But until then, I am very happy with the performance and stability of the G41 based system built following iRobie's mini-guide and Ridgeline's post-installer. As long as your G41m-ES2L board is a rev 1.3 or below, these methods rock.

The rev 1.4 board is different. Anyone thinking about buying parts for a new system, should make sure NOT to get a rev 1.4 board if they want to follow this mini-guide.

h50

@nandor690

I have been following Cartri's work to develop a BIOS to make hackintoshes out of Gigabyte's P43 and P45 series boards. Cartri has said on many occassions that he is NOT going to make his BIOS work on our G41 boards primarily because our board is not ICH10.

I was lucky enough to pick up a EP43-UD3L at a good price so I installed Cartri's BIOS to see for myself if it was better than the methods iRobie and Ridgeline have developed for our G41m-ES2L.

After working with both systems for about a month now, I have to say that both are rock solid, but I like the G41 machine better than the P43. I just wish the G41 had more SATA ports; that is the reason I picked up the P43. I can't seem to get the G41 to recognize any HDs connected to a PCIe SATA card. I've tried both a JMB and a Silicon Image based card and I'm just not smart enough to get either to work.

The main advantage of the G41 system is that I feel safer about upgrading. With Cartri's BIOS, everything works, but if 10.6.5 breaks something, I have to wait for Cartri to fix it. With the G41, there are a lot of people (who post here) who will be working on fixing the problem. Furthermore, I am beginning to understand how iRobie and Ridgeline's methods make our boards work, whereas with the P43, Cartri's BIOS is just magic to me.

At some point, when the prices for i7s, DDR3 ram, and H55 boards come down, I'll upgrade and probably use Cartri's BIOS. But until then, I am very happy with the performance and stability of the G41 based system built following iRobie's mini-guide and Ridgeline's post-installer. As long as your G41m-ES2L board is a rev 1.3 or below, these methods rock.

The rev 1.4 board is different. Anyone thinking about buying parts for a new system, should make sure NOT to get a rev 1.4 board if they want to follow this mini-guide.

h50

I've been able to get a sonnet pci-e esata board to work on my g41, I added an external 1gb drive on it.

Can someone make a rev. 1.4 guide for this board?

I agree - just got the Rev 1.4 (Bios F9) of this board from Newegg last week. I actually used the Kakewalk installer then ran the 10.6.4 combo update and the build works great (32 & 64bit) except for audio and Ethernet. After I found this thread I ran Ridgeline's AppleHDA 10.6.2 installer. But audio still doesn't work. According to Gigabyte's site the Rev 1.4 uses the same RTL8111b audio codec but I haven't verified that. As for LAN, the chip shows up in Profiler, but I was unable to get it to grab an IP from my router. Apparently the 1.4 uses the RTL8111E chip rather than the 8111C/D(L). If anyone has any ideas for getting the audio and LAN working on the Rev 1.4 it would be cool.

I agree - just got the Rev 1.4 (Bios F9) of this board from Newegg last week. I actually used the Kakewalk installer then ran the 10.6.4 combo update and the build works great (32 & 64bit) except for audio and Ethernet. After I found this thread I ran Ridgeline's AppleHDA 10.6.2 installer. But audio still doesn't work. According to Gigabyte's site the Rev 1.4 uses the same RTL8111b audio codec but I haven't verified that. As for LAN, the chip shows up in Profiler, but I was unable to get it to grab an IP from my router. Apparently the 1.4 uses the RTL8111E chip rather than the 8111C/D(L). If anyone has any ideas for getting the audio and LAN working on the Rev 1.4 it would be cool.

Found this by recoilfx relating to rev 1.4 boards.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1542371

Just want to chime in that there is a new revision of G41M-ES2L, rev, 1.4.

I ordered this MB from NewEgg two weeks ago and on the box it says Rev 1.4 with F9 Bios.

There are some differences -

The LAN chipset is now 8111E, so the existing G41M guides's drivers wouldn't work. I've downloaded the 8111E kext from this thread, and placed it at /E/E. It's working perfectly now.

The sound codec is also different. I haven't been able to get the onboard audio to work using the existing guides, so for now I am just using USB sound. I haven't dug too deep into it yet, but it seems like it's a 887.

Wake from USB2(ECHI) devices are not working - I am not sure if this is also a symptom of previous revs, but I've been able to get it to work by applying MM67's DSDT patch.

Auto sleep isn't working. It might be because I have e6600, using ridgel1ne's generic dsdt. I will look into this - or maybe I'll just try out chameleon rc5 to auto detect c and p-states

Found this by recoilfx relating to rev 1.4 boards.

Thanks for the info. I gave that IONetworkingFamily.kext from the recoilfx post a try and it did allow me to get connectivity and get to the Internet - but the performance was really slow. I mean like REALLY slow. In the meantime I tried out a Rosewill RNX-N100 wifi USB adapter and its much faster than the on-board NIC was running. I might just stick with that the only issue with it is the Rosewill utility which apparently has to remain running in the foreground through sleep otherwise it won't reconnect to your network.

What chip is on the card? Silicon Image, JMicron, or VIA? How did you get the hac to recognize the card?

h50

You'll have to download the latest drivers from the sonnet website to get it to work. The chipset is a silicon image. The osx drivers that come with the card don't work.

Can someone make a rev. 1.4 guide for this board?

Can someone point me in the right direction for getting sound to work in Rev 1.4. I installed with kakewalk and everything else is fine. Im completely stumped. Ive tried everything...

UPDATE: Finally got sound working using this Kext

Hi iRobie :)

BootCd Gigabyte

http://www.mediafire.com/?9lq0il8d0vlra2u

DSDT

smilegu.png

Patches G41M-ES2L

G41M_ES2L_PATCHES.txt.zip

DTGP

HID/CID

HPET

IRQs

EHCI

LPC

SBUS

SHUTDOWN

_WAK

CMOS reset

Renamed devices

to apply the patches, use DSDT EDITOR and PATCHER

(video)

Native Power Management and Restart fix use Chameleon RC5

mald0n20100922s202502.png

Extra

Extra.zip

Chameleon RC5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=78741

loveapple2117454552imag.gif

Can someone point me in the right direction for getting sound to work in Rev 1.4. I installed with kakewalk and everything else is fine. Im completely stumped. Ive tried everything...

UPDATE: Finally got sound working using this Kext

Thanks for the update. I just tried it and it works for me too. :P I noticed that it does not appear to work in 64 bit though. That may be a problem for some. Even though I dislike having to mod s/l/e with a non-vanilla kext - all the other solutions I've seen needed an old (10.6.2) AppleHDA in s/l/e and LegacyHDA888b in e/e so this isn't too bad.

Hello helping friends. I'm way behind all of you guys on the latest on GA-G41M-E2SL fixes. I just started working on all of this lately. I've almost gotten everything on my onboard card to work by following the guide. I made it through the 10.6.4 update and loaded the ridgl1ne installer plus AppleHDAinstaller. Sound still didn't work so I found some other ALC888b kext and tried that, but still didn't have any luck. What is the latest greatest fix for sound? I have a feeling I missed something. Also, I from the installer I loaded the generic DSDT since I didn't see my CPU (6500). Later I saw ridgel1ne had it on his other link, but I wasn't sure where to copy the file to. I did a search and saw that it was in the Extra folder so I overwrote there. When I went to reboot, it won't start back up. It keeps saying I need to hold power button to turn off then power up again. I can't get past that. I appreciate any guidance. Thanks to all.

Hello Nandor690 here to try and help. I am by no account an expert but i did do alot of trial and error to get mine where it is today.

can you please list all the kext you have in E/E (Extra/Extensions)

First you will need to try and boot into safe mode, if you dont know how - hit tab at bootloader and use -x as the flag for you snow leopard partition.

I have found if things are to messed up safe mode still calls a panic. something else you can try is booting from the usb drive with chameleon on it then choose your snow leopard partition.

what probably happened was that you have more kext in E/E than just Fakesmc.kext and LegacyHDA.kext. and when you added the new dsdt to the extra folder it conflicted with some of those other kext. if you can boot into safe mode and delete all additional kext besides the 2 mentioned above and then run kext utility that will probably fix your problem.

Lets fix this problem before we move onto the sound issue.:)

Hello Nandor690 here to try and help. I am by no account an expert but i did do alot of trial and error to get mine where it is today.

can you please list all the kext you have in E/E (Extra/Extensions)

First you will need to try and boot into safe mode, if you dont know how - hit tab at bootloader and use -x as the flag for you snow leopard partition.

I have found if things are to messed up safe mode still calls a panic. something else you can try is booting from the usb drive with chameleon on it then choose your snow leopard partition.

what probably happened was that you have more kext in E/E than just Fakesmc.kext and LegacyHDA.kext. and when you added the new dsdt to the extra folder it conflicted with some of those other kext. if you can boot into safe mode and delete all additional kext besides the 2 mentioned above and then run kext utility that will probably fix your problem.

Lets fix this problem before we move onto the sound issue. :)

Thanks Nandor690 for your reply. Before I read your reply, I decided I'd start over, but at least now I know what I should do if this does happen again which is quite possible. So, now I have reinstalled 10.6 on harddrive and have installed driver to get ethernet working. Last time I updated to 10.6.3 then to 10.6.4. Is that necessary or can I go straight to 10.6.4? After that should I continue with the ridgel1ne post installer and the AppleHDAinstaller or is there something different that is newer that should solve my sound issue? If I go with ridgel1ne post installer, what do I do with the dsdt.aml file for the 6500 CPU and would I need anything else for sound. Thanks again Nandor690.

Just use the software update from the apple in the menu bar at the top to update to 10.6.4, and while you are there do all the updates. the dsdt that you download from ridglines website will go in the Extra folder where the com.apple.boot.plist is. then run the applehda download from his website for the sound fix. you will also need the legacyhda.kext in the E/E folder. That kext should be put there with the installer i think. when using the dsdt that was made for your cpu just make sure that fakesmc.kext and legacyhda.kext are the only kext in E/E, if you have to remove or add any make sure you run kext utility before you restart.

If anything is not working you can always add kext later. It is just better to start with minimal kext so it is easier to diagnos your kernel panic if you get one.

Also, after you run the applehda fix make sure you go to System Preferences/Audio and change the Output to internal speakers or you wont get sound.

Let me know how it goes and if my write up is confusing let me know and ill fix it :(

Edit: Also make sure you only have on dsdt file in the Extra folder.

...After that should I continue with the ridgel1ne post installer and the AppleHDAinstaller or is there something different that is newer that should solve my sound issue? If I go with ridgel1ne post installer, what do I do with the dsdt.aml file for the 6500 CPU and would I need anything else for sound. Thanks again Nandor690.

Do you know which rev of the G41-ES2L you have? Some of us have found that the newer rev 1.4 board still doesn't have sound with the normal AppleHDAInstaller fix. I would try it and if it doesn't work see post 743 by offx1 above for link to an installer for AzaliaAudio. Its not vanilla but it worked for me.