[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Thanks for all your help.

Just tried your files. still no sound. Shows up in Sys info but not in prefs. I think my choice at this point is to either reinstall lion and then try it on a clean install or to use USB audio. I'm one of those people who dont like to give up. I was not familiar with creating a customdsdt and found one that worked with the exception of sound. I wonder if the dsdt needs to be edited or if its something else.

Just not looking forward to rebuilding from scratch.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I used all the files Nandor690 supplied here in this thread and things seems to work. Good Luck, I hope you get it working :thanks_speechbubble:

I sent you a PM maybe some of those files will help? You can try and rebuild with those files before reloading?

Thanks for all your help.

Just tried your files. still no sound. Shows up in Sys info but not in prefs. I think my choice at this point is to either reinstall lion and then try it on a clean install or to use USB audio. I'm one of those people who dont like to give up. I was not familiar with creating a customdsdt and found one that worked with the exception of sound. I wonder if the dsdt needs to be edited or if its something else.

Just not looking forward to rebuilding from scratch.

I upgraded my [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to 4.0.3 so I could get the iCloud and FaceTime fix for LION 10.7.2 ...... WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Lost my SOUND COMPLETELY.

Specs:

G41M-ES2L

Rev 1.1 Bios F6

4GB DDR2

9400 Quad Core CPU

Sapphire 6670 DDR5 Graphics Card

Here is how I got it back (fresh install from scratch) :

MAC OSX 10.7 DMG or

8GB USB Flash Drive (with Lion pre-installed)

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (Version 4.0.3) with iCloud and Factime Fix Chimera 1.54

DSDT (Generic from Nandor690)

Kexts (only one I used was for the built in NIC during initial install AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext)

First be sure to configure BIOS for 64bit HPET Mode

BIOS settings:* Load optimized defaults* Change HPET mode to 64-bit (I think in advanced)

After the BIOS settings have been made use the USB drive which should be already prepared with a bootable install LION to the drive

1. Install Lion on the drive from USB or by whatever means. After the OS is installed go to Step 2

2. Next you need to create an Extra folder in the Lion root drive

I only put 3 files and created 1 folder in this directory, they are listed below:

com.apple.Boot.plist

smbios.plist

DSDT.AML (I got a generic DSDT from Nandor690 previously, i used that since this is being built on a Q9400 and I have no custom DSDT)

Extensions <<<< I created this new empty folder

In the Extensions folder all I have is 1 file show below (if you put more then just the FakeSMX.Kext GOOD LUCK, thats what screwed me, i had too many Kexts and every time i booted i got tons of errors and nothing worked)

FakeSMC.kext

3. Next install the Network Kext AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, this goes into S/L/E.

After this is installed you must the run Kext Utility and this will correctly install the Network KEXT.

4. Get Audio working

Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.0.3 and choose the options checked (i used this "->" to denote check) item listed below.

->UserDSDT Install

Systems Utilites

->Rebuild Caches

->Repair Permissions

Driver & Bootloaders

Kext and Enablers

Audio

Realtek ALC8XX

->ALC8xxHDA

->AppleHDA Rollback

Non-DSDT HDA Enabler

-> ALC887/888b

Bootloaders

-> Chimera v1.5.4 r1394

Customization

Boot Options

-> 64 Bit Apple Boot Screen

OSx86Software

->Kext Utility

->ShowAllFiles

->Extension Migration Tool

Reboot for changes to take effect. At this point on board Audio and on board NIC should be working

5. Update Lion to lastest Version (if required)

Download the latest version of Lion via Automatic update, if sound it not working after the update just run AppleHDA Rollback again ONLY in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.0.3

I had issues with my graphics card, my screen went blank after i installed [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.0.3 and rebooted, below is how I fixed it.

6. Graphics Card Install (If graphics card goes blank, boot off USB drive)

Saphhire 6670 Video Card Install

The latest version of Chimera has support for HD6670 see separate attachment for [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installation files.

AtiConfig= Pithecia - GE=Yes, black screen. GE=No, boots up, loading default frame buffer.

Add the following to the orig.com.apple.boot.plist

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Pithecia</string>

Maybe my learning experience of 5 days of 24/7 frustration and errors can help someone :(

If you want to learn how to make a bootable LION USB flash drive, i already said how I made that in a previous post in this thread :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I upgraded my [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to 4.0.3 so I could get the iCloud and FaceTime fix for LION 10.7.2 ...... WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Lost my SOUND COMPLETELY.

Specs:

G41M-ES2L

Rev 1.1 Bios F6

4GB DDR2

9400 Quad Core CPU

Sapphire 6670 DDR5 Graphics Card

Here is how I got it back (fresh install from scratch) :

MAC OSX 10.7 DMG or

8GB USB Flash Drive (with Lion pre-installed)

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (Version 4.0.3) with iCloud and Factime Fix Chimera 1.54

DSDT (Generic from Nandor690)

Kexts (only one I used was for the built in NIC during initial install AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext)

First be sure to configure BIOS for 64bit HPET Mode

BIOS settings:* Load optimized defaults* Change HPET mode to 64-bit (I think in advanced)

After the BIOS settings have been made use the USB drive which should be already prepared with a bootable install LION to the drive

1. Install Lion on the drive from USB or by whatever means. After the OS is installed go to Step 2

2. Next you need to create an Extra folder in the Lion root drive

I only put 3 files and created 1 folder in this directory, they are listed below:

com.apple.Boot.plist

smbios.plist

DSDT.AML (I got a generic DSDT from Nandor690 previously, i used that since this is being built on a Q9400 and I have no custom DSDT)

Extensions <<<< I created this new empty folder

In the Extensions folder all I have is 1 file show below (if you put more then just the FakeSMX.Kext GOOD LUCK, thats what screwed me, i had too many Kexts and every time i booted i got tons of errors and nothing worked)

FakeSMC.kext

3. Next install the Network Kext AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, this goes into S/L/E.

After this is installed you must the run Kext Utility and this will correctly install the Network KEXT.

4. Get Audio working

Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.0.3 and choose the options checked (i used this "->" to denote check) item listed below.

->UserDSDT Install

Systems Utilites

->Rebuild Caches

->Repair Permissions

Driver & Bootloaders

Kext and Enablers

Audio

Realtek ALC8XX

->ALC8xxHDA

->AppleHDA Rollback

Non-DSDT HDA Enabler

-> ALC887/888b

Bootloaders

-> Chimera v1.5.4 r1394

Customization

Boot Options

-> 64 Bit Apple Boot Screen

OSx86Software

->Kext Utility

->ShowAllFiles

->Extension Migration Tool

Reboot for changes to take effect. At this point on board Audio and on board NIC should be working

5. Update Lion to lastest Version (if required)

Download the latest version of Lion via Automatic update, if sound it not working after the update just run AppleHDA Rollback again ONLY in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.0.3

I had issues with my graphics card, my screen went blank after i installed [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.0.3 and rebooted, below is how I fixed it.

6. Graphics Card Install (If graphics card goes blank, boot off USB drive)

Saphhire 6670 Video Card Install

The latest version of Chimera has support for HD6670 see separate attachment for [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installation files.

AtiConfig= Pithecia - GE=Yes, black screen. GE=No, boots up, loading default frame buffer.

Add the following to the orig.com.apple.boot.plist

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Pithecia</string>

Maybe my learning experience of 5 days of 24/7 frustration and errors can help someone :D

If you want to learn how to make a bootable LION USB flash drive, i already said how I made that in a previous post in this thread :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

That was the source of my original problem too.

When I rebuilt I used DSDT auto patcher to create a new DSDT (candor supplied the auto patcher.

Installed lion and used the version of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] you sent (3.8.0). Everything except audio and wireless work perfectly. Did the same thing you did with audio kexts

->ALC8xxHDA

->AppleHDA Rollback

Non-DSDT HDA Enabler

-> ALC887/888b

It appears that the non DSDT HDA enabler is the key.

My wireless is an ASUS N13 which has a utility to load in snow leopard. Originally when I upgraded to lion it was working but on a fresh install the utility sees the adapter but won't connect so I went bak to an old leopard mac , found the plist file and added that to preferences. It connects but will not store a profile.(no big deal to me since Im not mobile)

Instead of upgrading to 4.03 because it caused problems I chose Chimera to 1.5.4. That fixed iCloud and FaceTime without the problems caused by 4.03.

Only one issue though. It randomly resets the bios on reboot. Not every time though. Still trying to figure that one out.

If you want the DSDT auto patcher i can send it to you. Just let me know. Not sure where to post access though.

That was the source of my original problem too.

When I rebuilt I used DSDT auto patcher to create a new DSDT (candor supplied the auto patcher.

Installed lion and used the version of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] you sent (3.8.0). Everything except audio and wireless work perfectly. Did the same thing you did with audio kexts

->ALC8xxHDA

->AppleHDA Rollback

Non-DSDT HDA Enabler

-> ALC887/888b

It appears that the non DSDT HDA enabler is the key.

My wireless is an ASUS N13 which has a utility to load in snow leopard. Originally when I upgraded to lion it was working but on a fresh install the utility sees the adapter but won't connect so I went bak to an old leopard mac , found the plist file and added that to preferences. It connects but will not store a profile.(no big deal to me since Im not mobile)

Instead of upgrading to 4.03 because it caused problems I chose Chimera to 1.5.4. That fixed iCloud and FaceTime without the problems caused by 4.03.

Only one issue though. It randomly resets the bios on reboot. Not every time though. Still trying to figure that one out.

If you want the DSDT auto patcher i can send it to you. Just let me know. Not sure where to post access though.

What version of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] are you using now?

How you know ur bios is being reset, do you look each time you boot or does it give you a message? Maybe mine is also and I dont even know ....LOL

My board is rev1.4 F9

I used multivbeast 3.8 and used the standalone chimera upgrade 1.5.4 to fix iCloud and FaceTime

When I restart every once and awhile I get an error and a message to either continue to boot or use last good configuration. When I go to check the settings my boot order has gone back to the default and the HPET setting goes back to 32 bit from 64 bit

• 3 months later...

I can confirm that the OS X Mountain Lion works beautifully on this board with the edited boot files for chameleon from this post

http://www.insanelym...ic=275957&st=20

All the fixes I use for wifi audio and ethernet from lion work perfectly on Mountain Lion. full working system here!!

****EDIT****

Just for reference I used the boot files from post #39 and installed with chameleon wizard.

boots snow leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion.

Edited by nandor690
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I can confirm that the OS X Mountain Lion works beautifully on this board with the edited boot files for chameleon from this post

http://www.insanelym...ic=275957&st=20

All the fixes I use for wifi audio and ethernet from lion work perfectly on Mountain Lion. full working system here!!

****EDIT****

Just for reference I used the boot files from post #39 and installed with chameleon wizard.

boots snow leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion.

Yes Sir. It sure does work, most of the OLD DSDT files and kext that were used in my Lion install work in ML. I have gotten 2 G41M-ES2L's and a G31M-ES2L to install no problem. Thats for the tips.. I appreciate it!

• 1 year later...

I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but has anyone managed to get Mavericks working on this board? I currently have an issue with Mountain Lion where if I utilize a DSDT, it breaks the ethernet connection, and sound will not work either. I haven't worked THAT much with it as this board that belonged to me now belongs to a friend, however, I am looking to throw Mavericks on it in hopes it will maybe make things work better. 

I'm really just trying to glean some feedback on what works best with Mavericks if anyone has attempted it, and what kexts/DSDT mods you used to make it work. 

I have Mavericks working great on this board with sound and ethernet. I basically followed the Tonymac guide for Mavericks using #####. Had to boot ##### and install with "-v PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to get to the install screen. I then ran ##### choosing user DSDT and selecting ALC888b/887 for the Audio and the Apple Realtek kext for the network. I believe I needed to add GraphicsEnabler=Yes to the boot options as well within #####

Hope that helps.

Well that didn't come out well... sorry but I referenced another website.

• Like 1

I have Mavericks working great on this board with sound and ethernet. I basically followed the Tonymac guide for Mavericks using #####. Had to boot ##### and install with "-v PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to get to the install screen. I then ran ##### choosing user DSDT and selecting ALC888b/887 for the Audio and the Apple Realtek kext for the network. I believe I needed to add GraphicsEnabler=Yes to the boot options as well within #####

Hope that helps.

Yeah I am fairly certain I had to use Tonymac for the ML install. If you could PM me those links I'd appreciate it man. Thanks for the response!

EDIT: I see there really isn't a way to PM on here, but you can send me a message on AIM if you like. I believe you are following the main install link from the TonyMac site and I am fairly certain I can figure it out from there. If you have AIM or a way to contact you that would be fantastic just in case… 

Hope that helps.

I have Mavericks running on this board as well. I think I had to add -x to the install flags to get to the install screen. Didn't need -x after the install was finished.

Yeah I am fairly certain I had to use Tonymac for the ML install. If you could PM me those links I'd appreciate it man. Thanks for the response!

EDIT: I see there really isn't a way to PM on here, but you can send me a message on AIM if you like. I believe you are following the main install link from the TonyMac site and I am fairly certain I can figure it out from there. If you have AIM or a way to contact you that would be fantastic just in case… 

Check to see if you have the messenger function turned on. You should be able to send PMs, I know I have with other members. 

Check to see if you have the messenger function turned on. You should be able to send PMs, I know I have with other members. 

Unfortunately I cannot find that feature, I did manage to link my FB though… In any case, I'll just post here if I run into problems. I'm typically pretty good at trial and error so hopefully I won't bug you any further. I'll post my results either way though! Thanks again!

So I've ran into my first problem, which I can usually remedy but right now I lack the equipment to do so. Everytime I make a startup USB stick with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] I can select it, boot off of it and it loads the screen with the Apple logo and then just goes blank and I never get the installer screen. Any ideas how to go around this? My method was to use a Sata drive instead of a USB stick to install from, but I'll actually have to buy one this time around if that's the only solution. 

I have set the config to reflect Yes rather than No, (which is what it was set to) and now I am getting AppleCPUPowermanagement error. I've tried the NullCPUPowerManagement kext and that put me back to square one where it goes to a black screen after the spinning wheel for a few seconds. :-(

hawaii50, thanks so much for the input. After reading the walkthrough again, I noticed where it essentially mentions the exact same thing you do... That got it installing. I'm posting this while I wait on it to complete so I may need a list of kexts you used. I know Apple HDA is one I've always had to utilize and I have an Nvidia Graphics card that typically just works. Crossing my fingers!

Ok so after getting the install put on without a hitch and attempting to use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] I am back to getting a blank screen when trying to boot up the machine with the install. So in other words, I'll need to boot back into it with the USB stick and decide how best to configure this board for Mavericks. I have no idea what to choose from the installer so if you guys can give me a good configuration that would be fantastic. Also I have no custom DSDT for this board any longer other than a really old one so I am simply letting [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] make this for me. 

Look at the sound options. I think the one that worked was the non-DSDT kext

Gotcha. I initially chose the AppleHDA one before I got the blank boot screen. I will choose that again and report back what happens here!

I did not use the NullCPUPowerManagement kext. The install options I used were -v -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Are you using a patched AppleCPUPowerManagement? I didn't think I was using the NullCPUPowerManagement but it was in my S/L/E put there by mbeast. Just curious how you're running without using NullCPUPowerManagement?

Also do you have any sleep issues? Mine will autosleep without any issues but will sometimes fail to wake up. I can hear the fans spinning but none of the front lights are active and the display is black. This happens maybe once in 15 sleep - wake cycles where it fails to wake.

Cool, I will give that a shot. How did you manage to get sound working?

In the sound options, I chose ALC888B which was the codec for my board v1.3. Think it then updates your DSDT but that's what worked for me.

Are you using a patched AppleCPUPowerManagement? I didn't think I was using the NullCPUPowerManagement but it was in my S/L/E put there by mbeast. Just curious how you're running without using NullCPUPowerManagement?

Also do you have any sleep issues? Mine will autosleep without any issues but will sometimes fail to wake up. I can hear the fans spinning but none of the front lights are active and the display is black. This happens maybe once in 15 sleep - wake cycles where it fails to wake.

In the sound options, I chose ALC888B which was the codec for my board v1.3. Think it then updates your DSDT but that's what worked for me.

I just checked and NullCPUPowerManagement is not in S/L/E. I am using a DSDT for a rev1.1 board, but I still found that that I needed the non-DSDT drivers for sound to work. As for sleep, this computer puts the monitor to sleep, but the system never sleeps. Like Soler, I found that in Snow Leopard, waking from sleep did not work 100% of the time. I have not tried putting the computer to sleep in Mavericks.