[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Just use the software update from the apple in the menu bar at the top to update to 10.6.4, and while you are there do all the updates. the dsdt that you download from ridglines website will go in the Extra folder where the com.apple.boot.plist is. then run the applehda download from his website for the sound fix. you will also need the legacyhda.kext in the E/E folder. That kext should be put there with the installer i think. when using the dsdt that was made for your cpu just make sure that fakesmc.kext and legacyhda.kext are the only kext in E/E, if you have to remove or add any make sure you run kext utility before you restart.

If anything is not working you can always add kext later. It is just better to start with minimal kext so it is easier to diagnos your kernel panic if you get one.

Also, after you run the applehda fix make sure you go to System Preferences/Audio and change the Output to internal speakers or you wont get sound.

Let me know how it goes and if my write up is confusing let me know and ill fix it :)

Edit: Also make sure you only have on dsdt file in the Extra folder.

Hello nandor690, thank you so much for your help. I have followed your helpful advice, but still do not have audio. After applehdainstall from ridgl1ine I do not have anything listed in System Preferences/Audio.

Edit: After a little more work, I deleted Applehda from S/L/Extension then downloaded the VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg. At first I got a kernal panic then restarted computer. Audio was working, but sound from mic was feeding through speakers. I disconnected mic and speakers work fine. Any idea of how to disable mic from coming through speakers. Thanks for all your help.

I couldn't find a DSDT for my CPU (E7200) so I have been using the generic DSDT for the G41 (from ridgelines blog). Since that doesn't provide speedstep support I thought I would give the DSDT for the E7300 a try. With that in place, I have speedstep running (using VooDooMonitor and see frequency/multiplier changes) & temps are 5-10 C cooler. Everything seems to be working, but I'm wondering if the E7200 and E7300 are close enough to go with this DSDT. Does anyone know if there would be any real difference in the DSDT edits between these two?

Hey everyone, I am running into problems pretty early on into the process. I have downloaded Empire EFI 1.085 and burned the ISO to a disk. I insert the disk and boot up the computer. Once I reach the chameleon prompt I wait anywhere between 10 seconds to over a minute (i have tried many different wait times) and then swap the disk for my snow leopard retail dvd. I wait 10 seconds to a minute again but the screen does not update to say Mac OSX Install DVD. I hit F5 and nothing happens. Screen continues to say Empire EFI. I then try hitting F5 again, hitting Enter, and various other keys but nothing happens.

I have tried the same process with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported and have the same problem.

Other things to note that were earlier in the steps, I did not see anywhere in my BIOS to change SATA to AHCI mode.

Other things that may matter -

I have a sapphire 5770 for the video card, a 2 tb hdd, and 4gb ram.

Does anyone know why I would be having trouble or what the problem would be? I have searched around and all of the similar posts I have seen do not have any responses.

EDIT: Also my motherboard is revision 1.4, I have a Mac OS X 10.6.3 disk, and am wanting to instal 64 bit. I don't know what BIOS version came on the board but can check that when I get home from work and edit this post with that info.

Hi iRobie :thumbsup_anim:

DSDT

smilegu.png

Patches G41M-ES2L

DTGP

HID/CID

HPET

IRQs

LPC

SBUS

SHUTDOWN

_WAK

CMOS reset

Renamed devices

to apply the patches, use DSDT EDITOR and PATCHER

(video)

Native Power Management and Restart fix use Chameleon RC5

mald0n20100922s202502.png

DSDT

Extra

Extra.zip

Chameleon RC5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=78741

loveapple2117454552imag.gif

Can you give more detail about your G41M-ES2L?

1. rev version?

2. bios version?

3. Mac OS X version?

4. Mac OS X run on 32bit or 64bit?

thanks!

Hey everyone, I am running into problems pretty early on into the process. I have downloaded Empire EFI 1.085 and burned the ISO to a disk. I insert the disk and boot up the computer. Once I reach the chameleon prompt I wait anywhere between 10 seconds to over a minute (i have tried many different wait times) and then swap the disk for my snow leopard retail dvd. I wait 10 seconds to a minute again but the screen does not update to say Mac OSX Install DVD. I hit F5 and nothing happens. Screen continues to say Empire EFI. I then try hitting F5 again, hitting Enter, and various other keys but nothing happens.

I have tried the same process with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported and have the same problem.

Other things to note that were earlier in the steps, I did not see anywhere in my BIOS to change SATA to AHCI mode.

Other things that may matter -

I have a sapphire 5770 for the video card, a 2 tb hdd, and 4gb ram.

Does anyone know why I would be having trouble or what the problem would be? I have searched around and all of the similar posts I have seen do not have any responses.

EDIT: Also my motherboard is revision 1.4, I have a Mac OS X 10.6.3 disk, and am wanting to instal 64 bit. I don't know what BIOS version came on the board but can check that when I get home from work and edit this post with that info.

I have this same board (Rev 1.4). Can't help w/ your boot problem since I used the USB method, but I can tell you the 1.4 w/ BIOS F9 doesn't list an AHCI mode. Just set SATA to Enhanced - its the same thing. If you want to try another CD/DVD boot disk option that works with the G41 check out the Kakewalk guide here.

1. rev version?

All

use patch

-----

2. bios version?

All

use patch

-----

3. Mac OS X version?

[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

Snow Leopard and Leopard

*in leopard you do not need the CMOS reset fix, but no problem if you apply

-----

4. Mac OS X run on 32bit or 64bit?

32 and 64

BootCD Gigabyte

http://www.mediafire.com/?9lq0il8d0vlra2u

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)

HP, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix & Toshiba got together and developed the ACPI specification to establish a standard common interface to act between hardware (old & new) and software (BIOS, API's, OS's etc.) for Operating System Power Management (OSPM). The APCI specification (currently ACPIspec40.pdf) is detailed in a 727 page document which you can get from here and to quote the document 'ACPI is not a software specification; it is not a hardware specification, although it addresses both software and hardware and how they must behave. ACPI is, instead, an interface specification comprised of both software and hardware elements'.

DSDT (Differentiated System Description Table) The official definition from the ACPI Specification

A hierarchical tree structure in OS-controlled memory that contains named objects. These objects may be data objects, control method objects, bus/device package objects, and so on. The OS dynamically changes the contents of the namespace at run-time by loading and/or unloading definition blocks from the ACPI Tables that reside in the ACPI BIOS. All the information in the ACPI Namespace comes from the Differentiated System Description Table (DSDT), which contains the Differentiated Definition Block, and one or more other definition blocks."

In short, it's a table which comes supplied in the BIOS of your motherboard by the manufacturer. For Gigabyte motherboards this table has been shown to not be of the best quality and for our purpose of running OS X contains a lot of information that is not needed. Therefore the DSDT can be edited to our advantage to create a custom file for our machines with the aim of getting them to resemble a genuine Macintosh's closely as possible. With the added benefit of adding your hardware to the DSDT table and run without patched kernel extensions or third party drivers for that hardware.

Originally this process involved making a patched BIOS file for reflashing your motherboard with, but now the newer bootloaders have the ability to load an optional DSDT file at boot.

There are hackintosh users with various motherboards who have achieved various degrees of improved compatibility using just DSDT, although Fakesmc will always be required. (Note: Before Fakesmc, AppleDecrpyt.kext or dsmos.kext were used).

I have this same board (Rev 1.4). Can't help w/ your boot problem since I used the USB method, but I can tell you the 1.4 w/ BIOS F9 doesn't list an AHCI mode. Just set SATA to Enhanced - its the same thing. If you want to try another CD/DVD boot disk option that works with the G41 check out the Kakewalk guide here.

Thanks, I will make sure SATA is set to enhanced. I will also try that CD/DVD link you posted. I don't have an 8gb USB stick so I am trying to exhaust my CD/DVD options before goign out to buy one.

Thanks for the fast reply. I will let you know what happens when I try it out tonight.

EDIT: would a external HDD do the job of the USB stick? If so, would I need to clean everything else off of it?

Do you know which rev of the G41-ES2L you have? Some of us have found that the newer rev 1.4 board still doesn't have sound with the normal AppleHDAInstaller fix. I would try it and if it doesn't work see post 743 by offx1 above for link to an installer for AzaliaAudio. Its not vanilla but it worked for me.

Hi Adamac, I don't know how, but I completely missed your reply to me. I'm not for certain, but I probably do have rev 1.4 since I just bought this board less than 2 weeks ago. I didn't try with AzaliaAudio, but did get VoodooHDA-2.7.2 working although mic goes through speakers. Should I try AzaliaAudio to correct that? Would I have to uninstall Voodoo first? Thanks

Just a quick note to anyone interested sorry for my leave of abscence I am back an will start working on this again and I feel that the RC5 Chameleon will help a great deal it will detect you CPU so I no longer have to make a modified DSDT for each processor. I will make a generic that leaves out CPU info in my next post installer and will include the RC5 of Chameleon.

On a side note 10.6.5 only breaks audio at this point it is still in beta stages though so use at your own risk

Using the installer on my site created by TonyMacs will correct the issue.

Hi Adamac, I don't know how, but I completely missed your reply to me. I'm not for certain, but I probably do have rev 1.4 since I just bought this board less than 2 weeks ago. I didn't try with AzaliaAudio, but did get VoodooHDA-2.7.2 working although mic goes through speakers. Should I try AzaliaAudio to correct that? Would I have to uninstall Voodoo first? Thanks

Azaliaaudio only works on 32bit and will only give stereo sound.

Thanks, I will make sure SATA is set to enhanced. I will also try that CD/DVD link you posted. I don't have an 8gb USB stick so I am trying to exhaust my CD/DVD options before goign out to buy one.

Thanks for the fast reply. I will let you know what happens when I try it out tonight.

EDIT: would a external HDD do the job of the USB stick? If so, would I need to clean everything else off of it?

Tes the USB HDD would work I have even used a 8gb SD card in a USB reader but you will have to empty it

To binary patch AppleHDA.kext from Terminal

Example

alc888

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

To binary patch AppleHDA.kext from Terminal

Example

alc888

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

With the binary are you still using the LegacyHDA?

I've used the EFI (just google it), and managed to instal Snow Leopard on G41M-ES2L, even though that mobo doesn't support the ACHI.

I tried all the patches recommended for sound card with no luck.

One more question , I have E6300 dualcore CPU Wolfdale, there is E6300 in DSDT list, but that is core2duo. Should I go with that one, or DSDT for E5400 dualcore or just go generic?

Just to correct this statement the reason other users need to select AHCI is because their boards also support hardware raid which is why they must select AHCI ours does not support raid so that is why we don't have to switch from raid to ahci. We are on AHCI always

Just a quick note to anyone interested sorry for my leave of abscence I am back an will start working on this again and I feel that the RC5 Chameleon will help a great deal it will detect you CPU so I no longer have to make a modified DSDT for each processor. I will make a generic that leaves out CPU info in my next post installer and will include the RC5 of Chameleon.

On a side note 10.6.5 only breaks audio at this point it is still in beta stages though so use at your own risk

Using the installer on my site created by TonyMacs will correct the issue.

Azaliaaudio only works on 32bit and will only give stereo sound.

Tes the USB HDD would work I have even used a 8gb SD card in a USB reader but you will have to empty it

Thanks for letting me know Ridgel1ne. I will stick with voodoohda-2.7.2 for now then until I can find a fix for the mic coming through the speakers. Next challenge for me - How do you get PS/2 to work for keyboard/mouse? Anything for this? Thank you for your efforts.

Did this work on 10.6.3?

10.6/10.6.1/10.6.2

Dsdt + Legacy

10.6.3/10.6.4/10.6.5

Dsdt + Legacy + binary patch or AppleHda 10.6.2

*ALC889A is an exception, for example

BTW: Thank you , MaLd0n. Your DSDT pathes are very useful.

I hope it is helpful to many people

PS2.zip

try these kexts

put them in the E/E or S/L/E

Thanks for the files MaLdOn! I tried each of the kexts separately, by copying folders into S/L/E which gave errors then I tried copying into E/E and running kext utility each time and deleting other kext before trying next one. I also ran disk repairs, but I still do not have PS/2. I must be doing something wrong. Would you be able to list the steps for installation? Or do I need both kexts together? I didn't want to try both together in fear of getting a kernal panic.

Edit: I went ahead and added both kexts and now have PS2 working. Thanks so much to MaLdOn! However, I have a GE wireless keyboard and mouse and the mouse works in the opposite direction for up and down. Any idea on how to fix or am I just going to have to live with it? Thanks again. You guys are awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

DSDT Auto-Patcher GA G41M-ES2L

DSDT_Auto_Patcher_GA_G41M_ES2L.zip

This is a DSDT auto-patcher for the GA G41M-ES2L. It was created using DSDT Editor (by el coniglio) and uses this new feature that extracts the DSDT, applies the patches, fixes known compile errors, compiles and saves the patched dsdt.aml in your desktop.

Native Power Management and Restart fix use Chameleon RC5

Installer Chameleon RC5

Add in boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

mald0n20100922s202502.png

loveapple2117454552imag.gif

So with the auto patched do we still need the legacy hda?

I did not include the HDEF

who want to apply can use the DSDT EDITOR

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223205

generate the DSDT with the DSDT AUTO PATCHER

after

apply Azal to HEF + ALCxxx

10.6/10.6.1/10.6.2

Dsdt + LegacyHda

10.6.3/10.6.4/10.6.5

Dsdt + LegacyHda + binary patch or AppleHda 10.6.2

*ALC889A, AD1988B are exceptions

OK so I just set this up...updated to 10.6.4 on my rev 1.0 board. Sound is gone and I tried to patch the file. I am assuming I needed to do the appleHDA patch but still no sound.....actually it worked with the update it was the updates after the update.

Not too worried about sleep but that's not working either.

Hi folks it's been a long time :P

I've set up a second ihac with my (old) G41M-ES2L

i've installed SL and then myhack but i guess i shouldn't have installed sleepenabler in myhack because after the few system updates it reboots and then i get a KP :P

i think it's sleepenabler because it's the last thing mentionned in the console log, but not sure.

anyway how can i fix this ?, i tried to boot -s, -x, -f all that stuff doesn't help i get the kp immediately and cannot access the prompt

help will be greatly appreciated

if it is your second mac you could put the HDD in another mac and delete the sleepenabler.kext file from the extensions folder

I got sound working finally....had to change to 32 bit mode and it worked fine. Now sleep is only problem....I disconnected my SATA DVD drive thinking that may be the problem....no luck.