 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

I had constant KPs until I updated to EFI 10.5 from Netkas.org No trouble since then. Only snag is that my 10.5.8 install won't boot with EFI 10.5 so I have to switch boot disks via bios rather than just use Chameleon.

Any ideas?

Thanks

i would like to say that i am very new to mac and i am trying my best. i installed the snow leopard and it was sucessfull and then restarted and i needed to us the boot disk empirer efi. but once i was in there i was able to load the files that were provided. now it loaded and i dont need the cd and i see a motherboard or abit page really fast and then to a gray mac screen with the apple in the middle. but now it sites there and does nothing after a min or so i get a circle with a line threw it and that it it. is there any thing that i can do to fix this prob thanks a lot ahead of time

Jeremy

• 1 month later...

I'v installed 10.6.2 by Hazard, applied CMOS reset fix, but system cannot start in normal mode

Error says that something wrong with AppleIntelCPUManagement

Also two of my 3 hdds sometimes spin-up/down when i run osx in -x mode

What can I try with it?

P1070494sm.jpg

• 1 month later...
I had constant KPs until I updated to EFI 10.5 from Netkas.org No trouble since then. Only snag is that my 10.5.8 install won't boot with EFI 10.5 so I have to switch boot disks via bios rather than just use Chameleon.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I wanted to add this for anyone else with the same problems after an insane amount of time battling with kernel panics.

I was doing fine with the instructions until it came time to install the BSD.pkg.

I would get KP after KP. I tried installing the BSD.pkg from my leopard drive to the snow drive. This worked but after reboot seemingly did nothing.

Finally I saw the quoted above post. I determined that EFI 10.1 was installed.

I simply replaced the boot file on the Snow drive with the newest one from netkas.org (at time of writing this is 10.6). Rebooted. Was successfully able to install BSD.pkg. Was successfully able to install 10.5.1.

I can haz a smile now.

Thanks to those who made this possible.

Can anyone give any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I have a IP35 (non Pro) board with the last beta BIOS Abit released (need it for Q9550 support). I have managed to install 10.5.x on it just fine (though vanilla kernel doesn't work after 10.5.8) but Snow Leopard doesn't want to play ball.

I've got Snow Leopard install disc on a USB stick along with Chameleon RC4 & PC-EFI 10.6 and some kexts in Extra, but the installation always kernel panics with the "CPU x no HPET" error. I have tried several DSDT.aml files, one generated with DSDT patcher -newHPET, one for IP35-E (from this thread) but it makes no difference. Removing DSDT.aml doesn't help either. Won't boot in 32-bit, 64-bit, safe mode etc.

Can anyone give any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I have a IP35 (non Pro) board with the last beta BIOS Abit released (need it for Q9550 support). I have managed to install 10.5.x on it just fine (though vanilla kernel doesn't work after 10.5.8) but Snow Leopard doesn't want to play ball.

I've got Snow Leopard install disc on a USB stick along with Chameleon RC4 & PC-EFI 10.6 and some kexts in Extra, but the installation always kernel panics with the "CPU x no HPET" error. I have tried several DSDT.aml files, one generated with DSDT patcher -newHPET, one for IP35-E (from this thread) but it makes no difference. Removing DSDT.aml doesn't help either. Won't boot in 32-bit, 64-bit, safe mode etc.

for what it's worth, i'd tried multitude of installers and none of them work except for myHack.

my setup: Q6600, 4gb RAM, iMic USB sound, 9800 GT

Hey guys, I need to re-do my Hack. Ricola's method worked once for me, but now its really giving me issues.

Everytime I run the SL installer on my HDD (which is in a USB caddy) it fails part way through, and sometimes KP's too.

I'm running this on a Leopard partition on a REAL MACBOOK.

Any thoughts why the installer could be messing up? I've unticked all the extra fonts and languages, and even ticked off X11 too.

for what it's worth, i'd tried multitude of installers and none of them work except for myHack.

my setup: Q6600, 4gb RAM, iMic USB sound, 9800 GT

Couldn't even get that to work. Kernel panics from ev0Reboot kext. If I remove that and rebuild the kextcache it just hangs or reboots. :(

So far Empire EFI gets me the furthest but even that won't work, just get blank screens or if I add the EFI string from Leopard for my card into com.apple.boot.plist it again just hangs. Does Snow Leopard require a different EFI string from Leopard?

Tried building another USB boot/installer from scratch with minimum number of kexts (framebufferdisabler, fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement). But no matter what I do I keep getting the "unable to find driver for this platform ACPI" kernel panic. ;)

what's your hardware layout? bios version of the ip35-pro? i assume you set your on-board sata mode to AHCI, right?

Abit IP35 (not PRO, not -E) with the last beta bios released for the board. Yes, AHCI is turned on. I've previously managed to install 10.5.x on this system using boot-132.

Full specs:

Abit IP35

Core2Quad Q9550

4 GB DDR2-800

GTX260

SATA DVD drive

500 GB Samsung SATA harddrive

Normally booting gets me the ACPI kernel panic, -f just hangs and -x causes the computer to reboot.

It can't be the somewhat crappy (at least it's really slow) 8 GB USB stick I'm using? I have a real Macbook Pro but no external hard drive enclosure so I can't install or clone Snow Leopard with the Macbook.

have you a usb hub or anything connected to the usb ports -- other than the 8gb usb drive for the install? i'd snow working fine for weeks and suddenly it hung on boot-up. couldn't figure out what was going on. finally i noticed i'd left plugged in the usb hub flash carder without any flash cards plugged in. sure enough, when i disconnected the reader from the hub, the hackintosh booted up as before. maybe the AHCI was fooled thinking something else should be plugged in, but not.

sorry, i'd missed the part about your board being just an IP35 non-Pro version. i've only experience on my own IP35-Pro.

Quick addition to this tutorial..

I updated to 10.6.3 (following Netkas.org instructions on main page) today and so far only 1 issue, I've lost audio. This is due to the 10.6.3 applehda.kext doesn't work with this setup. Therefore, just backup the 10.6.2 one and install that after update and you're back to working 100%. :(

Enjoy!

Haze

Managed to finally get 10.6 installed. What I did was I took my hard drive and installed it in a machine with an IP35-E motherboard and a 8800GT and behold, my custom USB stick installer worked perfectly fine whereas it just kernel paniced on my IP35/GTX260 machine.

I'm hoping that now that I essentially have a working installation, I can simply use either GraphicsEnabler or an EFI string to make it work on the IP35 and GTX260.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work right now is sleep, but this was the case with IP35 on 10.5.x too. Will investigate more when I get the GTX260 running.

Got the Abit IP35 (last beta bios for Q9xxx CPU support) + GTX260 running. The GTX260 works with GraphicsEnabler using the myHack modified Chameleon 2 RC4 AsereBLN 1.1.1 build, but I used an old EFI string I made when I was still using 10.5.x.

Working:

• GTX 260 with EFI string.
  • Network working with modified IONetworkingFamily.kext.
  • 64-bit mode working.
  • Restart/Shutdown works with EvOReboot.
  • DSDT patched HPET, RTC (CMOS reset fix), SATA all working. For these I used fixes available in many DSDT related threads in this forum.

I noticed that the CMOS reset bug on the Abit IP35 whatever boards may possible cause kernel panics at startup even though the AHCI setting doesn't seem to change in BIOS. Resetting the BIOS works as a fix. Trying to sleep via menu seems to put something out of place, because it seems I have to reset the BIOS and boot to Windows once to get OSX back up and running. Could be a NTFS thing I suppose?

Update! Now the following works:

• GTX 260 with EFI string
  • Marvell Yukon 88E8056 network with modified IONetworkingFamily.kext
  • 64-bit mode
  • Restart/Shutdown works with Chameleon RC4 AsereBLN 1.1.9 RestartFix=yes option and DSDT patch for shutdown
  • DSDT patched HPET (copied from the DSDT posted by ricola, with Chameleon ForceHPET=yes), RTC (CMOS reset fix, 0x02 Length and default 0x04 Alignment seems to work), SATA, USB (to imitate real Mac device-ids, not sure if needed), shutdown, SMBUS and CPU power states.

Can't verify if the CPU power states actually work, my system is watercooled so fan speeds tell me nothing, but the system runs fine without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Currently the only extra kexts I have loaded are the modded IONetworkingFamily, EvOReboot and FakeSMC.

The one thing that still doesn't work is sleep unfortunately. Timed sleep only turns off the displays but never goes to sleep whereas sleep from menu does shutdown and wake up but I get no picture. After reboot (via reset switch) it does weird things like resets the "Delay IDE for x sec" option to the maximum 15 seconds and won't boot until I first boot to Windows 7 (separate hard drive, doesn't matter if the drive is disconnected) and then boot to OSX or if I completely reset the BIOS. I really have no idea how to fix this or if it is even possible. Tried SleepEnabler but it changes nothing.

But on the bright side I do have a quickly booting, otherwise perfectly working Hackintosh. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Currently running 10.5.6 and tried installing Snow on my second HD following the guide and getting

Installed Failed

The Installer could not install some files....

I did notice when i type

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

in Terminal to open the Snow install i get

"_CFGetHostUUIDString: Unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"

Could this be the reason why the install is failing?

Did a custom install without fonts/languages/printers and Got installed but system keeps getting a KP on the BSD installer

If i dont run the BSD installer the KP happens randomly.

I've tried to install BSD from my Leopard (and targeted Snow) from my other HD but when I go back into Snow and Repair Permissions it doesn't find the BSD

1º of all, thank for the guide. works perfect and I manage to boot osx with sata=raid with a few modifications

and I can upgrade up to 10.6.2, 10.6.3 hangs at boot with KP, If I solve, I post a mini howto

Did a custom install without fonts/languages/printers and Got installed but system keeps getting a KP on the BSD installer

If i dont run the BSD installer the KP happens randomly.

I've tried to install BSD from my Leopard (and targeted Snow) from my other HD but when I go back into Snow and Repair Permissions it doesn't find the BSD

happends the same to me.

I solved replacing the boot file in / with a newer chameleon. (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/) from RC2 works fine with no more KP.

sory for my english, I speak spanish

1º of all, thank for the guide. works perfect and I manage to boot osx with sata=raid with a few modifications

and I can upgrade up to 10.6.2, 10.6.3 hangs at boot with KP, If I solve, I post a mini howto

happends the same to me.

I solved replacing the boot file in / with a newer chameleon. (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/) from RC2 works fine with no more KP.

sory for my english, I speak spanish

Awesome man, thanks for the help. did you upgrade to 10.6.2 by downloading the combo update? and did you have any issues updating?

thanks again