 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

Hella,

Im in middle of installing with this method. Hope all went fine!

Is this vanilla install? Safe to update to current official release right?

TY

PS: Im getting error at the last stage installation, around where it ask to consult vendor. I use the DSDT.aml which you upload for user with q6600 cpu also. Is that normal?

Can't find the pkg I used from netkas but here you find latest info for Radeon cards. http://netkas.org/ Should be as simple as installing the latest PC EFI.

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

I am trying to install EFI 10.4 but i think I am missing something (I am a newbby but I hope that i will figure out) ;)

EDIT: Finally make it work using the info from the post of bd2 at this page:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182905

ricola, thank you very much for you guide, the installer and your patience in answering the questions and problems in this thread. Thanks to that, I now have SL running so far with out problems. I'd pretty much given up on running MacOS on my rig until I saw your thread.

My deviations from your initial guide are as follows:

Install done direct via SL Boot and SL retail DVD. To do this I had to change USB Keyboard support to BIOS rather than OS. I think that might have been an issue with the Bluetooth keyboard I had connected at the time. After install I switched back and there were no further problems.

My spec is:

Q6600 @2448Mhz

4x1GB DDR2 @816Mhz

GT8800 GTS 320MB.

IP35 Pro MB

Before I ran SL Boot CD I saved my BIOS settings, did the install, then reloaded them as the settings got reset.

After install, I booted again off the SL Boot CD this time selecting the new SL install. Then I followed ricola's instructions from the beginning of this thread. (gfx string was generated via gfxutil - xcode tools were installed for editing the .plist for the VRAM size)

I had a problem with a KP after the reboot, so I regenerated the dsdt.aml via the fasssl tool you list to earlier in the thread. This alone was not enough to fix the problem. I then regenerated the extensions kext (the permissions were shot - setting chown -R 0:0 /Extras seemed to be enough to fix it via the cmd line tool, but I used the Kext util anyway).

So far everything is going great - 64bit works (at least according to uname -a output) and the 6.1 upgrade went fine. Next I may try Cham 2.0RC3 without the gfx string (use the option in Cham to do that on the fly) and with forceHPET as there was some mention it was needed earlier, although I've not noticed any problems so far. Or then again I might leave it 'cos it's working now :D

If anyone is interested in this method but find my write up hard to follow (I know I do! :) ), let me know and I'll tidy it up.

(EDIT: Added info about extension cache needing rebuild, my specs)

My SL install keeps failing the install at the point when it tries to install the HP Photosmart drivers. I follow this guide to the T (except for the gfx strings) and same outcome every time. Can't figure out why??? I would like to install it without the printer drivers. Is that possible???

The error I keep getting is "The Installer could not install some files in "/Volumes/Snow". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

My set up :

IP35 PRO w/ Q6600

8GB DDR2 Viper Mem. @ 800 MHz

ATI Radeon 3870

500GB for SL

200GB Leopard (So I can install SL)

LG BD-R / HD-DVD ROM

SAMSUNG DVD-ROM w/Kreon firmware

SAMSUNG DVD-R

It is Chameleon v2 RC1 + PC EFI 10.1 @ #1.

If you like Chameleon v2 RC3 + PC EFI 10.3 go here.

IC, I tried to do dual boot upon single hdd but failed. I use the chameleon v2 rc1 & EFI 10.1 on my Leopard & Snow

When it come to the chameleon boot selection, IF I choose to boot Leopard it fine but IF I select the Snow, it would stuck at ACPI_SMC_Plugin::start bla.. bla.. ((AppleIntelCPUManagement)) timed out

What is the problem?

@gengstapo,

Yes .. insert partition UUID both in Leo & SL ;)

Ok, let say I want to setup dual boot within same disk, divide into 2 partition where the 1st is Leopard & 2nd is Snow.

Ive installed Chameleon & efi onto 1st disk(Leopard). After that, I do install Snow on the 2nd disk. Do I need to install Chameleon & efi onto Snow partition also?

What the setting for this?

Thanks

@gengstapo,

In this case (RC1 + EFI 10.1) yes .. you need to install to both partition, and they have different set of Extra.

Ive done, but here the situation.

I encounter such error. The problem is I cant successfully boot my SL when there is no DSMOS

I can only boot after I add the DSMOS, else it would stuck at ACPI_SMC_Plugin start::(WaitingAppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out in verbose mode

How to solve?

Thanks

img0001ce.th.jpg

PS: I only install Chemeleon & EFI boot at Leopard partition while I create folder Extra at the Snow / & dump my DSDT. Inside the Snow /Extra folder I dump some needed kext for Snow.