 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

no problems at all. all work perfect after upgrade.

if you cannot boot at first time, boot with -x -f, then works perfect

make an image of the disk using disk utility -> new image -> source, snow / destination, imagename

then upgrade. if something goes wrong, boot again leopard (I keep that in 10gb partition) and restore snow volume from image

good luck

Can anybody guide me on how to do a Fresh Install of Snow Leopard on the IP35-Pro?

I can't find a DSDT.aml file for the IP35-Pro which I can use with myHack.

It should work without a DSDT. You just need the FakeSMC, modified IONetworkingFamily, LegacyAppleRTC and NullCPUPowerManagement kexts instead. With a well patched DSDT you only need FakeSMC.

pelelademadera, does even sleep work on your system?

sleep works, but I can not wake up... I think its a problem with usb devices, so when it comes sleep, usb stop working at all (keyboard led dont change state)

I dont understand too much about osx, but I come from linux, In many things It's similar... my server runs gentoo, I can manage it from ssh with no problems.

I have some problem with disk notification. Is there any way to ignore two disks. there are allways the same. ( raid volumes in my case) that osx didnt recognize as raid. it recognized at single disk

thanks

no problems at all. all work perfect after upgrade.

if you cannot boot at first time, boot with -x -f, then works perfect

make an image of the disk using disk utility -> new image -> source, snow / destination, imagename

then upgrade. if something goes wrong, boot again leopard (I keep that in 10gb partition) and restore snow volume from image

good luck

I went ahead and installed 10.6.3 and all went well except i have no sound. Do you know where i can get the correct kext for sound? the one i had for 10.6 isn't working. thanks

I went ahead and installed 10.6.3 and all went well except i have no sound. Do you know where i can get the correct kext for sound? the one i had for 10.6 isn't working. thanks

I'm using IP-35e and have been using the VoodooHDA kext. That being said my understanding is that if you are using the AppleHDA kext you just need to restore the one from 10.6.2 (the new one from Apple in 10.6.3 doesn't work with our Audio anymore).

sleep works, but I can not wake up... I think its a problem with usb devices, so when it comes sleep, usb stop working at all (keyboard led dont change state)

I dont understand too much about osx, but I come from linux, In many things It's similar... my server runs gentoo, I can manage it from ssh with no problems.

Try patching your DSDT with the USB fixes and see if you can wake up then. I can get my computer to sleep but waking up it powers on but doesn't show picture and at least keyboard doesn't seem to do anything (if I for example try to launch a big application like Photoshop via Spotlight - no HDD activity).

did you try this kext?

http://www.kexts.com/view/328-alc888_hd_audio_10.6.3.html

tell me how to upgrade... I get KP at boot time

Got sound working. thanks guys, everything seems to be good to go so far.

I removed both legacyHDA and HDAEnabler kext. In Safe Mode from kexts.com i tried AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 HD Audio but nothing showed up in under hardware audio, only Device ID and Audio ID, then tried AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 for 10.6.3 and no sound but under hardware audio i had Device ID, Audio ID and Available Devices filled out. Then tried ALC888 for 10.6.2 and same thing happened as 10.6.3. But when i booted up in normal mode i have sound.

On upgrading.. I did a clean install of 10.6 and had it working and then downloaded the 10.6.3 comboupdate and installed that. Only thing i removed before 10.6.3 was SleepEnabler.kext. My sleep wouldn't wake up prior to fixing my audio, so i'll work on that next.

appreciate the help

It should work without a DSDT. You just need the FakeSMC, modified IONetworkingFamily, LegacyAppleRTC and NullCPUPowerManagement kexts instead. With a well patched DSDT you only need FakeSMC.

pelelademadera, does even sleep work on your system?

When you guys are talking about a modified IONetworkingFamily, what are you referring to? There was one posted in this thread for the Marvell controller but that's a different motherboard.

I ask because while my network controller is "working" out of the box, it's really very poor. It seems to be cutting on and off or something. Takes 5 or 10 minutes to even get a DHCP address after boot, then runs very very slow after that. This is an Abit IP35-Pro with the Realtek 8169/8110.

I also tried the 3rd party Realtek1000SL driver but that didn't work. It seemed to detect the controller fine but the network did not work at all.

Any ideas? No one else having performance problems with the IP35-Pro/Realtek-8169 and Snow Leopard? It worked fine in Leopard. ;)

I have the same problem, but only happends when I use dhcp. setting manually an dns solved my problem and internet works great.

Thanks, yeah I should have mentioned that was one of the first things I tried. It definitely helps but the problem persists. With DHCP turned off it will run at full speed for maybe 15 or 30 seconds then it will freeze up for about the same amount of time, then it will run at full speed for a few seconds, rinse repeat, etc...

I see errors in the log like:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyRead (0x0) TIMEOUT
  AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWrite (0x0) TIMEOUT
  AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyRead (0x1) TIMEOUT
  AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyRead (0xf) TIMEOUT

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phySelectMedium error

And doing an ifconfig shows:

ifconfig: en0: no media types?

Something doesn't seem right.

Got sound working. thanks guys, everything seems to be good to go so far.

I removed both legacyHDA and HDAEnabler kext. In Safe Mode from kexts.com i tried AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 HD Audio but nothing showed up in under hardware audio, only Device ID and Audio ID, then tried AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 for 10.6.3 and no sound but under hardware audio i had Device ID, Audio ID and Available Devices filled out. Then tried ALC888 for 10.6.2 and same thing happened as 10.6.3. But when i booted up in normal mode i have sound.

On upgrading.. I did a clean install of 10.6 and had it working and then downloaded the 10.6.3 comboupdate and installed that. Only thing i removed before 10.6.3 was SleepEnabler.kext. My sleep wouldn't wake up prior to fixing my audio, so i'll work on that next.

appreciate the help

So you got sleep working after patching audio? Wakes up fine and everything?

Thanks, yeah I should have mentioned that was one of the first things I tried. It definitely helps but the problem persists. With DHCP turned off it will run at full speed for maybe 15 or 30 seconds then it will freeze up for about the same amount of time, then it will run at full speed for a few seconds, rinse repeat, etc...

I see errors in the log like:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWrite (0x0) TIMEOUT
  AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyRead (0x1) TIMEOUT
  AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyRead (0xf) TIMEOUT

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phySelectMedium error

And doing an ifconfig shows:

ifconfig: en0: no media types?

Something doesn't seem right.

I am having an impossible time with network after having installed 10.6.3 comboupdate. It was working just fine.

I have tried tons of ways to get network back but have been unsuccessful. Can someone send me their IONetworkingFamily.kext

The broadcom 8110sc is what I am trying to get working.

Currently 2 NIC interfaces show up in networking preferences but neither will resolve an IP there is just no Rx happening. en0 is showing a self-assigned IP and en1 is showing not connected. This is regardless of the port that my cat5 is plugged in at. I know the cat5 is good I can connect it to the laptop I am typing this on no problem. Both NICs are displaying mac addresses in system profiler. I don't know what to do next.

Another tidbit (not even sure if it's relevant) is that when I connect my iPhone for tethering it does not show up in the list of network interfaces like it does on my macbook pro.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Ricola

I need help with my dsdt.aml here. Im trying to get my ALC888 works in Leopard by patching my own dsdt. Is there any copy/ paste text for the configuration which I can directly paste into my dsdt?

Btw, let say after I patched the dsdt, do I still need additional kext to enable my ALC888 for Leopard 10.5.8?

Thanks~

• 3 weeks later...

quick question, my system is still running using this guide, but I'm planning on upgrading my 8600gt video card to gtx260 or something similar.

What would I have to change on my current system to get the new graphics card to work?

thx

• 2 weeks later...
quick question, my system is still running using this guide, but I'm planning on upgrading my 8600gt video card to gtx260 or something similar.

What would I have to change on my current system to get the new graphics card to work?

thx

You'll just need a new EFI string or just use GraphicsEnabler.