DSDT - Vanilla Speedstep - Generic Scope (_PR)

FKA

1,949 posts in this topic

Where should I send them to?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I should note that I was only getting Kernel Panics when changing info in the smbios.plist file.

I have attached send_me.zip to this post.

Thanks again!

I added a few things missing from the DSDT

dsdt.StuMcBill.zip

dont use smbios MacBookPro8(sandy bridge)

Use smbios MacBookPro(core2)

NativePM and restart fix use Chameleon RC5

add in boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

remove EvOreboot and NullCPUPowerManagement

I added a few things missing from the DSDT

dsdt.StuMcBill.zip

dont use smbios MacBookPro8(sandy bridge)

Use smbios MacBookPro(core2)

NativePM and restart fix use Chameleon RC5

add in boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

remove EvOreboot and NullCPUPowerManagement

Ok, thanks for that, I will give it a go when I wake up later on (just finished nightshift).

Should I just put:

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro</string>

No numbers after the MacBookPro? Do I need to change anything else in the smbios?

I am using this bootloader (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/04/chimera-unified-chameleon-bootloader.html), which I believe contains all the fixes from Chameleon RC5 and more? I assume this will still be ok?

Thanks again for all your help!

Stew

Edit

Also when you say put in boot.plist do you mean com.Apple.Boot.plist?

Edit 2

This (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/stats/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html) macbook has the same processor that is in my Machine, so would it be worth changing to MacBook5,1 in my smbios.plist?

Thanks again!

Thanks a lot, I have done everything you said, and now using MSR Tools, my CPU seems to be stuck on 1.6GHz?

Any ideas?

Stew

Edit - I get this when I run Verbose Boot!

May 27 16:43:59 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: WARNING - ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - no sub-config match for MacBookPro4,1 with 4 p-states, using default stepper instead

Edit 2

Changing it to Macbook5,1 worked! I now have speedstep!! :)

Thanks a million!! You rock!

Just have to try and get everything else working now! :)

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I tried the fix in the original post and have had some success, my idle temps seem great, a few degrees better than generating P & C states through chameleon actually. My issue, however, is that my temps seem to spike significantly using this DSDT fix (like 10c) from merely playing a song in iTunes, which doesn't really seem to correlate with processor usage. This doesn't happen when using chameleon to generate P & C states, only when using this DSDT fix, yet my temps are quite perfect when this system is idle all together.

http://pastebin.com/hfpb49fY

is my portion of my dsdt, as you'll see i have 6 pstates for my q9550 and i've used my generated values for each of them.

Hey all, I tried the fix in the original post and have had some success, my idle temps seem great, a few degrees better than generating P & C states through chameleon actually. My issue, however, is that my temps seem to spike significantly using this DSDT fix (like 10c) from merely playing a song in iTunes, which doesn't really seem to correlate with processor usage. This doesn't happen when using chameleon to generate P & C states, only when using this DSDT fix, yet my temps are quite perfect when this system is idle all together.

http://pastebin.com/hfpb49fY

is my portion of my dsdt, as you'll see i have 6 pstates for my q9550 and i've used my generated values for each of them.

Ok, everything is beautiful now, found some dsdt code of masterchef's which i used as a template and my temps are every bit as good as generating P & C states through cham :)

• 2 weeks later...

my DSDT doesn't have the following line s of code

{
Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
}

Instead it has this

{
	OperationRegion (SSDT, SystemMemory, 0xDF5D4818, 0x079C)
	OperationRegion (CSDT, SystemMemory, 0xDF5DBA18, 0x021C)
	Name (NCST, 0x02)
	Name (NPSS, 0x10)
	Name (HNDL, 0x80000000)
	Name (CHDL, 0x80000000)
	Name (TNLP, 0x08)
	Name (CINT, Zero)
	Name (PDCV, 0xFFFFFFFF)
	Name (APSS, Package (0x10)
	{

From the looks of it "OperationRegion (SSDT, SystemMemory, 0xDF5D4818, 0x079C)" is making its call to the SSDT which do have the processor methods (and they are already filled out with empty arguments, but w/e). so im guessing that i should focus on fixing my SSDT instead? btw i have a p8p67 deluxe with a 2600k. just thought i should point that out.

Does this method requires AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to be installed or does it work without it ?

Also, PStateChanger does not work for me. So I tried VoodooMonitor. But it does not show FID & VID. Instead, it shows CID & Control values. How can I find out the VID & FID. Can it be calculated from CID ?

post-578964-1313737459_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been trying to make C-States working on my Dell Precision M4400 + QX9300 for a long time, after following several guides, I've got to the point that have P-States working (quite easy) but I'm unable to make C-States working. Finally after patching the ISAB to LPCB and changing the id with the _DSM method I'm able to make the system load AppleLPC kext at boot although it complains with:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I get no message about Parse Error during _CST evaluation, only the "device initialization failed"

I'm using the MacBookPro 5,1 smbios.plist and chameleon RC5 without injecting anything. Under /E/E I have

ACPIMonitor.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IntelCPUMonitor.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I get nothing when searching for CST with

ioreg -lw0 | grep CST

and I have no CSTInfo using SMC Monitor. I have attached my DSDT.aml and my smbios.plist

Any idea??

dsdt_smbios.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all ..... I've been trying to get my new Acer i3 laptop AS5742 going with Snow Leopard and then on to Lion.

I've managed to get 10.6.3 and 10.6.6 installed but built in wifi didn't work and it was just VGA. And I can't start up in x64 either. It seems when I try to do x64 in -v mode it gets to a point talking about:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

So at this point I think I need a working dsdt.aml file and then use that.

I've extracted a dsdt.bin file from the laptop while in Windows using Everest.

Research on dsdt seems to indicate a couple of ways of doing this.

But once I do have a dsdt.aml can it be used on a clean install or do i have to mod an original install and go from there?

Also I haven't found an all inclusive dsdt guide, especially when it comes to correcting the errors in it.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Oh and here's that .bin file to ;)

acpi_dsdt.zip

• 2 months later...

i found an iteresting thing on this speedstep topic in SL. No need DSDT patching.

when i install the 10.6.7 combo update after the original 10.6.0 DVD then there is proper speedtsep with proper fan speeds. Then i can go for the 10.6.8 update and that's it.

BUT if i go straight from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8 then it doesn't work.

edit: reinstalled the system and no luck this time. can anyone explain this? i had native speedstep without any dsdt patch or chameleon settings. now i don't have not even with chameleon c-states and p-states...

any idea WHY i had speedstep before and HOW could i achivee it again without any DSDT patch and chameleon settings?

i also had fully working speedstep in 10.6.2 (dsdt with ssd tables included)

but after combo upd to 10.6.8 i have lost it, it did not woked anymore

to regain native sppedstep i had to chose a real mac smbios.plist and recreate legacy plugin for it ....

and for some reason if i let mac to get cstates from dsdt the pstates does not work (...in smcK-Stat-i the frequency of cpu does not changes) for some reason it has to do with new way of reading acpi tables by the 10.6.8 and lion

as a solution to this i had to make chameleon to generate p&c states and with legacy and real mac infos in smbiosplist it fully works with native 10.6.8 kexts, and i gues lion also, (i'll try this later)

i have thinkpad x61s core2duo 1.6 ghz L7500 with gmax3100 video

take atached file as guide in your pursuit ... hope i helped

ssssssory for my english

10.6.8 MacBook4,2.zip

my dsdt.zip

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them.

thanks! i'll try this.. but that is what i tried to avoid cos it was simple and the opposite happened. native from 10.6.7.

i've read somewhere that HPET is neccessary for speedstep. appleintelcpupowermanagement kext can't load and it says "unsupported cpu" (however it's an E6750) and i have a feeling that would work with HPET. if i could get rid of nullcpupowermanagement then ...

do you know how to patch the DSDT to have HPET enabled?

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
You too. There's enough garbage here on IM already

sorry for the quote)

already tried the chameleon flag but no success. ok i try the DSDT one. where to put the code? i have not much experience in patching.

also tried to compile dsdt with parameter -newHPET

edit:

patched the dsdt but compiler can't compile dsdt.aml from .dsl

(i've put HPET between device Timer and RTC0 i think its OK)

edit:

the HPET device was already in.. that caused the error.

so now i have HPET in DSDT and in Chameleon and still "unsupported cpu" so i can't use appleintelcpupowermanagement kext (although i never used. always used nullcpupowermanagement and got native speedstep:S)

If you want to see some example code with the correct syntax and where the HPET device should be, just look at the first post of the topic I linked to above. But I think...

/DSDT.dsl 2705: Device (HPET)

Error 4056 - ^ Name already exists in scope (HPET)

....that this means your DSDT already has a HPET device.

always used nullcpupowermanagement and got native speedstep

That is a contradiction in terms. You cannot have "native speedstepping" if you disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Your HPET is hiding way down on line 2763. Doesn't your DSDT editor have a search function?

The HPET should be up in the 1600's along with PIC, TMR, RTC0, DMAD, SPKR, COPR. At least that's where it's usually located in ASUS DSDTs. Whats more it looks like it has been modified already.

Are you 100% sure the only modification done to this DSDT is the GMA 950? Did you extract this DSDT yourself or did you download it from somewhere? Have you used some kind of automatic patching tool on it?

ok i think i don't need speedstep _that_ much. just wondering why it's gone. thanks anyway

"that" much, what does that mean, why post in this thread at all if you don't care about native power management.

You should try to solve your "unsupported CPU" issue at least. What Mac model identifier are you using? You're probably using the wrong model identifier for your CPU type.

Upgrade to Chameleon 2.0 or 2.1, note that before rebooting you must rename your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

of course i care but im totally sure i did not change anything in chameleon or DSDT i just updated to 10.6.7 and got speedstep. And the second time i tried it didn't work.

The latest Chameleon running on the system and org.chameleon.boot.plist is the defalt + prefpane also installed. The Identifier is iMac 8,1.

install with RebelEFI + 10.6.0 DVD

then fakesmc + nullcpu (or boot with RebelEFI CD and i can see appleintelcpu loaded)

if i install nullcpu then everything is perfect except speedstep. The weirdest thing that i always used nullcpu and fakesmc - nothing else, and never used Chameleon flags like p-states, c-states, forcehpet etc. only arch=i386 and usbfix