DSDT - Vanilla Speedstep - Generic Scope (_PR)

FKA

1,949 posts in this topic

silly results:

imac8,1 (chameleon default): nothing by native but if cham p-states and c-states are enabled then it stays at 2.0 Ghz

imac9,1 or macpro3,1 : also nothing by native but c-states and p-states by chameleon then it maxes out at 2.66 (this is right, since its an E6750) but the minimum is only 2.0 Ghz. these values are from MSR tools. This is not only not much difference but i can't hear the fan speed changing which i did before...

when i said "that much" i meant this. this is too much pain in the a and only gets to 75% so better off without speedstep.

thanks for the help and info - i have learned a lot though this knowledge seems unusable ATM

i could dump ssdts from windows or linux if i am correct. i only have osx installed so this is out of question. plus i did not dump ssdt, did not set chameleon flags or anything i just had vanilla speedstep (10.6.7 and 10.6.8) and "fan-step".

i double checked 2.0ghz is the minimum on my cpu (according to bios settings ratio 6=2ghz, 8=2.66ghz) that means the chameleon flags generate accurate states. the only thing missing is the change of cpu fan speed.i messed with all the bios setting but no result. i leave it on "silent mode" in bios and hope the cpu won't burn :moil:

You can use a Linux live CD and dump the SSDT tables to a flash drive or email them to yourself via webmail. There are instructions available on how to do this if you look for them.

The fact that you hadn't done this before doesn't mean that loading the SSDT tables won't be useful to you now. You went from working to broken, remember? I'm trying to be helpful, it's for you, not for me.

You can keep an eye on CPU temps with Bresink Temperature Monitor, or the iStat Pro widget:

Screen shot 2011-12-13 at 12.02.03 AM.png

Also take a look at the FakeSMC plugins posted over at the ProjectOSX forums. There are ways to get automatic fan control working through DSDT editing. That's a bit over my head though, but I use manual fan control anyway.

you are right sure there is a hard way of fixing this. just stating there must be an easy (and more vanilla) way. i'll be interested if someone knows the answer iplease drop me a PM)

i could try live cd but what's the guarantee of working fanspeeds? it doesn't react to the pstates now. plus when generating p and c states at boot then almost always get "connection timeout" to my wifi router which never happened before and still doesn't happen if i dont use them so it must be connected to it.

i drop speedstep now. luckily it's a desktop haha.

once i figuring this out i'll get back here to report it

Noo. The opposite. I got SS after update. Then i lost it after reinstalling Snow.

Accidentally just noticed AppleLPC can't load and got the _CST evaluatin message at boot.

I have read somewhere AppleLPC has to be loaded to have vanilla SS.

We can't stop here.

injected the deviceid into the kext's info.plist but the kext still can't load.

btw a generic problem: at verbose boot i can see the error message for a blink of an eye. how can i roll back after boot to the boot messages if it's possible (i guess so)

Install bdmesg to usr/bin or look at kernel.log in console.app.

Try the DSDT method instead of editing AppleLPC.kext or try to find someones LegacyAppleLPC.kext and edit that.

Editing Apple kernel extensions is a bad idea, you will lose your edit and therefore functionality next time Apple updates that kext.

Ok patched the DSDT and finally AppleLPC loads and the system boot up but still no SS

+ i get this at boot:

12/14/11 12:57:00 AM kernel ** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider

12/14/11 12:57:00 AM kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

12/14/11 12:57:00 AM kernel FakeSMC: key not found MSTf, length - 1

12/14/11 12:57:00 AM kernel DSMOS has arrived

12/14/11 12:57:01 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

12/14/11 12:57:01 AM kernel FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

12/14/11 12:57:01 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

12/14/11 12:57:01 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

wtf??

ok it does work with p-states and c-states settings in chameleon just like vanilla but still no Q-fan control. I can live without that anyway, never crapped the cpu because of high temps. It might something to do with the windows xp dual boot - this is the only thing changed since then (hdd failure so no windows anymore)

ASUS Q-Fan works via ACPI, you can clearly see all the code for it in your DSDT.

On Windows, a driver is installed for an "ATK110" device that handles this. But OS X doesn't know what to do with it.

There's a topic about how to get fan control to work via ACPI with Fakesmc and the ACPImonitor plugin over here:

http://www.projectos...?showtopic=1593

This app might be useful in that context:

http://www.eidac.de/?cat=40 (Note, smcFanControl will not work on its own on a Hackintosh)

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I'm actually trying to Speedstep working in Linux but it seems my Bios has no P-States or C-States. If I disable Speedstep in the bios Linux can adjust clockspeed only with P4_Clockmod.

The first post is really interesting but I'm unsure what to remove for my dual core T7200 and also if the _PDC sections of my DSDT need to be removed.

Motherboard: Tyan S5207

CPU: Intel T7200

Min: FID 6 / VID 19

Max: FID 12 / VID 39

Can anyone help with the attached DSDT?

dsdt.zip

Hi Gringo,

I'm probably being a noob here but does this bios just not have an SSDT table?

./acpixtract -l /root/acpi.dat

Signature Length OemId OemTableId OemRevision CompilerId CompilerRevision

DSDT 13813 "0AAAA " "0AAAA000" 00000000 "INTL" 20051117

FACS 64

FACP 244 "A M I " "OEMFACP " 10000701 "MSFT" 00000097

APIC 92 "A M I " "OEMAPIC " 10000701 "MSFT" 00000097

MCFG 60 "A M I " "OEMMCFG " 10000701 "MSFT" 00000097

OEMB 97 "A M I " "AMI_OEM " 10000701 "MSFT" 00000097

HPET 56 "A M I " "OEMHPET " 10000701 "MSFT" 00000097

XSDT 76 "A M I " "OEMXSDT " 10000701 "MSFT" 00000097

RSDP "ACPIAM"

Found 9 ACPI tables [20060324]

Thanks, I guess I need to read the ACPI docs and try to get some sort of understaning of ACPI source.

The bios has Disabled, Enabled and Enhanced options for C-States 1-4 (Currently set to enhanced). Also has Min, Max, Automatic and Disabled settings for Speedstep (Currently Automatic) and a "Hard C4" option which forces minimum VID in C4. I wonder if this problem isnt related to some sort of issue with the bios detecting a T7200 cpu.

• 2 weeks later...