Slow OpenGL performance in Snow Leopard

SA22C

63 posts in this topic

I've got the following system:

Asus P5K-E

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (OC to 2.94 GHz)

5 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 MHz

8800 GT 512 MB (flashed with mac 8800 GT Rom)

I've got Snow Leopard up and running with the standard DSDT generated by the patcher and the following kexts:

ADI1988b (enables sound)

fakesmc (newest version)

JMicronATA

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

SleepEnabler

VoodooPower

Everything is running smoothly in either 64 or 32 bit (I'm in 32 bit presently because there is no Voodoo Power kext for 64 bit as of yet.) The problem is that my open GL performance is less than half of what I see in Leopard (According to XBench, anyhow. OpenMark shows a 15 percent drop.) Anyone else seeing poor nVidia performance in Snow Leo?

I've got the following system:

Asus P5K-E

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (OC to 2.94 GHz)

5 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 MHz

8800 GT 512 MB (flashed with mac 8800 GT Rom)

I've got Snow Leopard up and running with the standard DSDT generated by the patcher and the following kexts:

ADI1988b (enables sound)

fakesmc (newest version)

JMicronATA

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

SleepEnabler

VoodooPower

Everything is running smoothly in either 64 or 32 bit (I'm in 32 bit presently because there is no Voodoo Power kext for 64 bit as of yet.) The problem is that my open GL performance is less than half of what I see in Leopard (According to XBench, anyhow. OpenMark shows a 15 percent drop.) Anyone else seeing poor nVidia performance in Snow Leo?

Yes opengl spinnig squares score with xbench is kinda slow 88 i get and in leopard 180+ , but the system runs sweet

Same here with 9300m gs. Font rendering is much better in leopard. I don´t see fonts clear under snow leopard.

Do you see any difference in fonts too?

No, rendering in Snow looks great for me. It's also worth noting that the system feels responsive and snappy, it's just not performing well in the benchmarks. Since I don't game with OS X, it really doesn't matter in the end.

I'd bet that MacPro owners are seeing the same problem with their 8800GT's.

Rendering is just fine tho and the fonts looks ok , just the opengl test in xbench is 100 or so fps slower lol to test it out i tried some off the osx scene demos and all ran excellent so the slow opengl score doesnt seem to bad overall

I've noticed this as well (9800 GT). World of Warcraft performance is much worse than Leopard, and lines look much more jagged. No matter what I set the anti-aliasing on, it doesn't look like it's working.

There is definitely something wrong with OpenGL.

I have just tried the OpenGL Extensions Viewer link that zoliky posted.

I loaded the app and used defaults settings and my SnowLeopard system posted higher scores than 10.5.8, apart from test 2.1. I am using an MSI 8800GT 512MB OC.

EDIT: I have just run the same test again but with time with 10.6.1. There is a slight improvement in some tests and a slight loss in others, so an average no real change.

post-331032-1251583111_thumb.jpg

post-331032-1252620304_thumb.png

FORGET XBench & OpenMark benches for 10.6 + 10.5 on newer Intel "Macs" !!

Both are much to old and need to be updated. They are both very old compiled with very old OS X frameworks / very old GCC 3.x (UB bot not good optimized Intel code). Now we have GCC 4.x !

Only use the new + very valide OpenGLExtensionsviewer for Tests .

To compare GPU speed differences between GPUs:

OPTIONS: full screen, benchmark, higher resulution (at least 1280x800, the more the better), 32 Bit and 4* Multisampling (FSAA)

gives: high gpu load = gpu limits bench results = less cpu+driver dependend bench results

To compare driver speed differences on same GPU:

OPTIONS: full screen, benchmark, lower resulution (less than 800x600), 32 Bit no Multisamling

gives: less/moderate gpu load = CPU(drivers) + gpu limits bench results = much cpu+driver dependend benhc results

FORGET XBench & OpenMark benches for 10.6 + 10.5 on newer Intel "Macs" !!

Both are much to old and need to be updated. They are both very old compiled with very old OS X frameworks / very old GCC 3.x (UB bot not good optimized Intel code). Now we have GCC 4.x !

Only use the new + very valide OpenGLExtensionsviewer for Tests .

To compare GPU speed differences between GPUs:

OPTIONS: full screen, benchmark, higher resulution (at least 1280x800, the more the better), 32 Bit and 4* Multisampling (FSAA)

gives: high gpu load = gpu limits bench results = less cpu+driver dependend bench results

To compare driver speed differences on same GPU:

OPTIONS: full screen, benchmark, lower resulution (less than 800x600), 32 Bit no Multisamling

gives: less/moderate gpu load = CPU(drivers) + gpu limits bench results = much cpu+driver dependend benhc results

Thank you !!!

Did the OpenGLExtensionsviewer test with my 9600GT in 1920x1200 4xAA / 16xAF ... Scores are better in Leopard (GL 1.1 to 2.0 ~700fps in 10.5.8, ~600fps in SL, GL 2.1 is the same) but not much so the performance is ok. The slow spaces seems to be a problem with beamsync as I have only 10fps with beamsync, in leopard it's 50-60fps... without beamsync >100.