Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

lol bcc9, I will explain his problem, since I troubleshoot him.

He installed in an usb external drive, but he was actually booting with Leopard bootloader, then selecting snow leopard partition and trying to boot, hence, he doesnt had pcefiv10 files (first of all), theres this "bug" in chameleon where the E/E folder loaded will be the one in the "boot" partition not the partition selected to boot. So, he was loading Leopard E/E's not SnowLeopard, hence getting a kernel panic.

edit: lol for some odd reason, the bluetooth kext is loading fine, but it doesnt work XD..though if I open the script itself..it will work fine xD..

He installed in an usb external drive, but he was actually booting with Leopard bootloader,
Ok, that sounds pretty messed up, thanks.

edit: lol for some odd reason, the bluetooth kext is loading fine, but it doesnt work XD..though if I open the script itself..it will work fine xD..
There's a bunch of troubleshooting info in the bluetooth thread if you're interested in getting past the "doesn't work" phase.

Hi,

Thanks a lot bcc9... absolutely awesome tutorials, especially for 1340 xps owners like me. Using your earlier guide for 10.5.6 I was able to successfully install OSx on my system alongside my Win xp despite being a complete noob- being all of 7 days old in the Mac community ;).

Now I want to upgrade it to Snow leopard. I am leaning towards keeping the MBR and using the modified OSInstall.mpkg.zip. Currently I am using the C:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard" in boot.ini to have dual boot option for win xp and leopard (10.5.6).

I am unable to understan how my boot process would work, if at all, after also installing SL while having a running 10.5.6 vers leopard and Win XP on different partitions..

What is the best way to going forward towards installing SL without losing my existing Win Xp installation,if any?

Should the leopard(10.5.6 ver) installation to be deleted? how??

Cheers and thanks

Piyush

Thanks a lot bcc9... absolutely awesome tutorials, especially for 1340 xps owners like me. Using your earlier guide for 10.5.6 I was able to successfully install OSx on my system alongside my Win xp despite being a complete noob- being all of 7 days old in the Mac community ;) .
Thanks. Glad it's working for so many people.

What is the best way to going forward towards installing SL without losing my existing Win Xp installation,if any?
I have no idea; I have never tried chainloading chameleon from the windows bootloader, and I would never try XP on the 1340 (I think you're crazy for that - windows7 would be a lot better).

My general recommendation would be to use an ESATA disk and install any experimental OSX installs there.

So I did another pass thru the audio plists and found that the first sound assertion error message was due to lack of a RequireMaxBusStall entry. The next two error messages are due to HDMI audio, per this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1036503

where on the gigabyte motherboard they could avoid the problem by disabling HDMI audio in BIOS.

The 1340 has no such bios setting, so instead I added all the pathmap&pinconfig entries for HDMI (plus some glue), and viola, no more sound assertions!

In my limited testing this also gets rid of the AppleHDA panic. Every time I would reboot from linux into OSX I would get that panic, now I do not.

I've updated post #1 with a new hdaidt.kext (v2).

So I did another pass thru the audio plists and found that the first sound assertion error message was due to lack of a RequireMaxBusStall entry. The next two error messages are due to HDMI audio, per this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1036503

where on the gigabyte motherboard they could avoid the problem by disabling HDMI audio in BIOS.

The 1340 has no such bios setting, so instead I added all the pathmap&pinconfig entries for HDMI (plus some glue), and viola, no more sound assertions!

In my limited testing this also gets rid of the AppleHDA panic. Every time I would reboot from linux into OSX I would get that panic, now I do not.

I've updated post #1 with a new hdaidt.kext (v2).

Thank you very much for the updated hdaidt.kext, bcc9. You are a genius. So does that mean the hdmi audio work properly under snow leopard now? :-) Snow leopard is almost perfect now on studio xps 1340. Great work

I've been trying to install Snow Leopard for like 4 times but they all failed

Please anyone make a installation guide to help me and noobs in installing

I don't know how you install snow leopard. If you manage to install leopard successfully, you should be able to follow bcc9's tutorial step by step and install snow leopard within leopard. Remember the good thing about having a leopard installation handy is you can always boot into leopard to fix kexts if you mess up the snow leopard installation.

Here's some advice to you. Personally I like bcc9's method(no need to burn a DL disc and you can install it on MBR partitioned disk). If you like the retail method, you can go grab one of the boot-132 CD image and replace the dsmos.kext with the latest version that supports snow leopard or you can use fakesmc.kext as well. but the retail method can only be installed on GUID partitioned disk. If you are planning to dual boot snow leopard along with windows 7, you might have a problem.

Thank you very much for the updated hdaidt.kext, bcc9. You are a genius. So does that mean the hdmi audio work properly under snow leopard now? :-) Snow leopard is almost perfect now on studio xps 1340. Great work
I hot-plugged the HDMI and got video but no audio out. HDMI wasn't selectable via sound preferences so it may be a simple detection problem. A pathmap for this exact HDMI codec is in the stock AppleHDA so I think it should work.

I'm not sure, but I think this may be the first time anybody has configured an HDMI codec for a hackintosh and also the first time configuring 2 codecs under one HDA audio controller.

It's a pain for me to test it with my HDMI receiver off in the living room, maybe someone else would like to give it a try.

can you explain how to install a bootloader? i installed the xXx x86 disk and now i dont know how to boot into my vista partition anymore. ive tried reading on chamleon but nothing works

Chameleon 2 gives you a graphical interface and lets you select your vista partition to boot from just by arrowing over to the windows icon.

I use grub as my bootloader, and I install boot loaders manually with dd as I mentioned, so you probably don't want to do what I do. General multiboot details are beyond the scope of this thread. Windows lets you restore its non-multiboot aware bootloader with bootrec /fixboot if you are desperate to go back.

xxx is not chameleon2

after install osx 10.6 and dsmos, ps2 I got the message " Mac OS version: Not yet set"
If you booted with -v there is probably a panic message a few lines above.

by the way how do you install smbios.plist? You drop it in /Extra folder and you have to install smbios.plist in Leopard? and then in snow leopard?
Yes, in both the OS you're installing from and the one you're installing to

Guys I really hate repeating myself and this is not supposed to be a newbie thread. Post #1 starts out with the assumption that you can install OSX and bootloaders, and use a shell, and install kexts with the right permissions, etc., etc. If that's not the case you probably should find one of the many threads where those topics are covered.

lol bcc9, I will explain his problem, since I troubleshoot him.

He installed in an usb external drive, but he was actually booting with Leopard bootloader, then selecting snow leopard partition and trying to boot, hence, he doesnt had pcefiv10 files (first of all), theres this "bug" in chameleon where the E/E folder loaded will be the one in the "boot" partition not the partition selected to boot. So, he was loading Leopard E/E's not SnowLeopard, hence getting a kernel panic.

Hi,yes that was pretty much what I was doing wrong,I was hoping that the leopard bootloader would in turn chainload the Snow bootloader when I would select Snow partition for booting into..Pmcnano was able to explain this better :(

Ok, that sounds pretty messed up, thanks.

Its actually not very bad on a USB external,I had one handy,so decided to use it & works fairly well,maybe less speed than an eSATA but no complaints :P

I had one question & was wondering if you had the same..I see Voodoo Power keeps getting unloaded during every boot. Any clues as to why thats happenin.

This is the message I see

Warning- kext.com.superhai.driver.Voodoo Power has immediate dependancies on both com.apple.kexts :use only one style.

VoodooPower.kext :[Warning] Unloading

PS: Have installed the v2 of the HDAIDT & no panics to report yet..have booted almost 3 times after installing :)

I had one question & was wondering if you had the same..I see Voodoo Power keeps getting unloaded during every boot. Any clues as to why thats happenin.

This is the message I see

Warning- kext.com.superhai.driver.Voodoo Power has immediate dependancies on both com.apple.kexts :use only one style.

VoodooPower.kext :[Warning] Unloading

If your loading from /E/E/ (Maybe even /S/L/E/) this is normal. You should reloading a litlle bit later in boot process. It because the System.kext and ACPIFamily kext arn't available yet.

I bought a Studio XPS 1340 last week and (thanks to this thread and you bcc9) that one of the first things I did with the notebook was to install SL!

Summary of install:

- Triple-boot Win7, SL and ubuntu

- Using Chameleon bootloader for all 3 OS's

- Created SL USB install stick with modified OSInstall (MBR) and bcc9's recommended files

- Installed bcc9's recommended drivers/fixes once SL installed

This has been one of the most hassle free installs of a hackintosh with practically everything working that I can remember!!

A BIG Thanks to you BCC9 for all the excellant work on the 1340 so far, very much appreciated!! :D

If your loading from /E/E/ (Maybe even /S/L/E/) this is normal. You should reloading a litlle bit later in boot process. It because the System.kext and ACPIFamily kext arn't available yet.

Thanks for that insight :) .Well,I am loading all the kexts from /E/E.What would u suggest is a good way to ensure that the Voodoo power loading happens timely after the dependancies are loaded.Should I also put those dependancy kexts as uv mentioned also in /E/E.I read this somewhere,but I dunno if its the best practice..

Does anybody have this issue which I do.When I hit the power button or close the lid or put the laptop to sleep,it never is able to come back on.The external HDD that I use to boot SL also appears to switch off(lights dim down)

@Westep23 - Iv now put VoodooPower in S/L/E & tried booting after repairing permissions & clearing cache.Still it unloads

with a warning.

With KextLoad,it loads & I can see it too with kextstat when in SL.

Any one upgraded to 10.6.1 ?

Does anybody have this issue which I do.When I hit the power button or close the lid or put the laptop to sleep,it never is able to come back on.The external HDD that I use to boot SL also appears to switch off(lights dim down)
Per post #1, USB drives are unmounted across suspend/resume, so since you're using that as your boot disk, your system crashes.

@Westep23 - Iv now put VoodooPower in S/L/E & tried booting after repairing permissions & clearing cache.Still it unloads

with a warning.

With KextLoad,it loads & I can see it too with kextstat when in SL.

Why do you keep posting about voodoopower? I wrote back here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1256765

that the unload error message is cosmetic.

Voodoopower is actually loaded & running automatically for you under 32 bit mode, no?

Any one upgraded to 10.6.1 ?
Yes, the upgrade is uneventful. You can upgrade directly from the 'Software Update' menu even. (Of course being careful to backup first just in case).

Fak, well, I will download a new dmg because mine just doesnt work D:....Ill try agian later!

The md5 sum for the 10a432 release has been posted; I'll post it again here: 1d1fb7eca55470143c153f7f902b4ada

You could just check the md5 sum of your .dmg.

So I found a fix for the USB device removal problem, and it works for the 1340:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1240686

We just need the AAPL,clock-id entry mentioned in that thread.

I don't get why this seems necessary for the 1340 when the macbook pros don't have this problem and don't have this ioregistry entry either.

It seems like there is a lower level usb power problem here but I don't see it. Anyone?

@bcc9, lol now I feel idiot, I have the same md5, then I dont know what the hell is going on with my instalation, meeeh, I could just try again and see......How are things under SL, same as leo right? But how stable it is atm?