Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

Here is a patched DSDT for A11 BIOS. I haven't yet noticed anything improved or different with A11 under OSX.

Patches:

1. fix compiler errors when compiling with intel iasl compiler
  2. fix LID close detection
  3. add GFX injection string and injection method
  4. audio device, minimal EFI string for AppleHDA
  5. EHCI: Fix usb device removal upon resume

bcc9,

Can you tell me what you changed or configured within your DSDT in regards to the EHCI fix? I cannot find it. Can you copy and paste it in this thread? I have a Dell Precision and would like to see what you did (concerning your EHCI fix).

I understand my DSDT.aml will be different than yours but it would give me a clue of what to look for when configuring my EHCI.

Thanks!

Can you tell me what you changed or configured within your DSDT in regards to the EHCI fix? I cannot find it. Can you copy and paste it in this thread? I have a Dell Precision and would like to see what you did (concerning your EHCI fix).

I understand my DSDT.aml will be different than yours but it would give me a clue of what to look for when configuring my EHCI.

Thanks!

In order to make my changes portable across different DSDT versions, I converted the changes into string search/replace operations that could be run from a unix shell. Specifically I just made the changes into a bunch of arcane ed line editor commands. If you know ed you'll be set :) This is more portable and in some ways more maintainable than DSDT_patcher. Example usage:
 iasl -d DSDT.aml
 ed DSDT.dsl < ed_commands

The 5 patches are commented in ed_commands, search for patch #5.

Or see post #124 where I explained this originally.

dsdt_ed_commands.zip

Hi, the guide in first post is updated? I have buyed the studio xps 13 and it will arrive to me soon and I want install Snow Leopard :D

My configuration is:

CPU: P9600

Video: 9500m 256mb

HDD: Sata 7200rpm 500GB

Wireless: Dell 1515

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 370

In snow leopard with my configuration there are some problem? It is full functionally?

Excuse me for my bad english but I am italian.

Hello guys,

I'm a total newb and having some issues. I just learned the past few days how all this works. I was able to install a retail disc of snow leopard using the provided boot132 disc. It is all in one big GPT partition. I am able to load into the OS using the boot disc but I am not getting/understanding how to get a bootloader to work. I've tried installing various versions of Chameleon Rc2, rc3, none are allowing me to load in. I've tried throwing in the Extra folder into the root extra folder in the Macintosh HD, to no avail. I tried uncompressing the preboot dmg and adding that extra folder into the root extra folder to no avail. I keep having to refer back to the boot132 disc.

Also, I was able to use kext utility to install the VoodooBattery.kext file, I can enable the battery icon in system preferences but it won't recognize the battery/battery life.

So far, most other stuff seems to work fine. Wake up after sleep, wifi after waking, sound after waking, etc.

I really just want to be able to boot directly into the OS (not multi-booting), and get the battery issue fixed.

I messed around with getting the VoodooBattery kext installed and trying to get the bootloader to work.

Would I be better off starting the whole process again? IE reformat and do another clean install and start from scratch?

Thanks in advance guys!

Hello guys,

I'm a total newb and having some issues. I just learned the past few days how all this works. I was able to install a retail disc of snow leopard using the provided boot132 disc. It is all in one big GPT partition. I am able to load into the OS using the boot disc but I am not getting/understanding how to get a bootloader to work. I've tried installing various versions of Chameleon Rc2, rc3, none are allowing me to load in.

Per post #1 you need to install the bootloader. For the case where you don't have a fancy multi-boot setup to worry about, probably the easiest is to use the chameleon installer, the newest seems to be Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg

I have not used it myself as I do have a complex multi-boot setup for which I don't trust beta installers to do the right thing. I simply used the 3 install commands (which are detailed in chameleon's doc/README under "Normal Install" to install chameleon manually.

I tried uncompressing the preboot dmg and adding that extra folder into the root extra folder to no avail.
Yes, you can use that as a shortcut to get some of the kexts mentioned in post #1 installed. But you still need to follow post #1 to get the rest set up if you want everything working.
Also, I was able to use kext utility to install the VoodooBattery.kext file, I can enable the battery icon in system preferences but it won't recognize the battery/battery life.
Yes, you need to refer to post #1 where I provide a script that you also need to run to make this work.

Well looks as if I was able to get Chameleon RC3 to work. At first it wouldn't recognize the kext for VoodooPS2 and the other one, so the trackpad wouldn't work when I booted up. I decided to just use Kext Helper to install the kexts, looks like they're in the Library/Extensions folder, but now it loads up. Does they HAVE to be present in the root/Extra folder or can it be where KextHelper installed them?

I didn't really install any other kexts except for the VoodooBattery (and two other ones that are supposed to mae the SD slot work, but they don't). I ran the script but it still doesn't display battery info, I don't think it recognizes the battery.

I'm not sure exactly what else to check, what issues should I verify/check out? What were the sleep/sound issues, etc? Any other kexts I should install?

Right now the Extra looks like:

-com.apple.Boot.plist

-DSDT.aml

-smbios.plist

-Extensions

-AppleACPIPS2Nub

-fakesmc

-HDAIDT

-IOPCIFamily

-IOSDHCIBlockDevice

-VoodooBattery

-VoodooPower

-VoodooPS2Controller

I honestly have no idea what most of this stuff does (especially the ones outside of the Extension folder) aside from guessing based on the info in post 1 and through the name of the files...

Sorry again, I'm just new to this all but it's all starting to make a bit more sense, especially due to the info in this topic!

by the way is it alright to download the software updates such as 10.6.1?

Yes, that hasn't caused an issue for most of us.

On previous systems upgrading from 10.5.X -> 10.5.Z has caused some small issues with .kexts not working but simply re-kexthelping them fixed it.

I'm not new to OSX or to installing it on a PC as I have a fully functional 10.5.6 install running on my Dell Mini 9. However, I just got a 1340 and I am trying to figure out how to get Snow Leopard on it. I don't have 10.5 installed on it and I am trying to figure out how to get Snow Leopard on it but the guides I found on here aren't entirely clear in how to do that. On my mini, it was really easy and straightforward. I used an existing Mac, hooked up my SSD as a USB drive. Restarted the Mac and booted from the USB SSD. Installed all available updates. Installed DellEFI. Shut down. Put SSD in the Mini, start it up and all done.

I was wondering if there was an easy way like that to install on the 1340? Also is the GM version of SL the same thing as the retail disc I can go and buy at Bestbuy?

I was wondering if there was an easy way like that to install on the 1340? Also is the GM version of SL the same thing as the retail disc I can go and buy at Bestbuy?
The EZ method is the boot cd method already detailed in post #1. Yes, reportedly the same disk.

The EZ method is the boot cd method already detailed in post #1. Yes, reportedly the same disk.

I'm sorry, normally I am pretty good with these kinds of things but I am just not getting something here. I always like to think that if I am having problems, then at least 1 other person out there is having the same issue so by helping me you may be helping others too.

Let's just suppose I don't know anything about any of this (right now I am really feeling like this). What exactly are the steps (all of them) to get this going.

Here is a list of things I have that I can use:

• Snow Leopard retail disc
  • 4gb USB flash drive
  • Dell Mini 9 running 10.5.8 that if necessary, I can take the hard drive out of and use as a 32gb USB hard drive
  • Dell XPS 1340 with the 1510 wifi card (which I guess means I can install 64bit)
  • iPhone (don't know if I can somehow use it)

If I can get this working, I can make a great install tutorial (screencast version and text based) for others to follow. I'm not saying the version on the first page is bad but it seems to skip a lot and assume a lot. I want a how to for dummies or at least something that is clearer.

Thank you for your hard work on this by the way.

I really don't see what's so hard about burning a cd (or cd-rw), booting from that, using the retail disk to complete your install, and then following the rest of the instructions in post #1. It's easier than what you describe for the dellmini in that no other OSX computer is required to prep anything.

Rather than try to spoon feed answers to you, I think we should turn your question around - What exactly is it about the instructions under "boot-cd based install method" couldn't you understand?

Yes, post #1 is necessarily complex in that there are several ways to do everything, and the way you might want to do it depends upon your situation (MBR vs GUID partitioning, fresh install vs OSX upgrade for example). I cover a few of the most common choices to keep from answering the same things over&over in this thread.

I could make a complete newbie thread and solution that wouldn't require even knowing how to unzip a file let alone how to install a kext or run a script. This thread wasn't meant to be that solution. On the other hand, with applications such as kext helper and the help found in this thread, newbies have had success with getting OSX installed on this laptop in spite of the knowledge gap.

With packagemaker everything could be combined into a single .mpkg and that'd make it easier on newbies, but far more difficult for people like me to maintain and test installs and roll out improvements. I probably will turn parts of the install into packages anyways (such as the acpi patch which users have had problems understanding so far).

There is a separate OSX 10.6 subforum for OSX installation. I think somebody should start a new thread there and own maintaining it and guiding newbies.

this is a bit unrelated to anything so far however is anyone able to post videos through FACEBOOK? lol i know it's random however when i click "Take a Video," i see the little white bulb light up however only a button comes up saying "Look for cameras again"?

This probably isn't a hackint0sh-based question however i know for a fact the webcam DOES work because of iChat/Photo Booth, and i've been able to record videos on facebook from another hackintosh. if anyone has any sort of solution i'd love to hear it. :)

I really don't see what's so hard about burning a cd (or cd-rw), booting from that, using the retail disk to complete your install, and then following the rest of the instructions in post #1. It's easier than what you describe for the dellmini in that no other OSX computer is required to prep anything.

Ok then maybe something is just wrong with the way I am doing. I dl'ed the iso you linked to, burned to a dvd, booted from the DVD. Got to a graphical menu with 4 icons (one for the dvd, another that looks like a hard drive and two for windows). Is there where I am supposed to swap in the SL disc? I do that, hit enter when the DVD is selected and and it doesn't really do anything. It tries to load it then returns an error about not being able to and dumps me back at the menu.

Ok then maybe something is just wrong with the way I am doing. I dl'ed the iso you linked to, burned to a dvd, booted from the DVD. Got to a graphical menu with 4 icons (one for the dvd, another that looks like a hard drive and two for windows). Is there where I am supposed to swap in the SL disc?
Yes. Perhaps you have to eject the original disk while chameleon is giving you the auto-boot countdown. I did not install from DVD so I did not test that way. A page or so back some other user successfully did however.

I ran into the same road block as well in my first attempt. You have to eject the boot disc, insert the SL retail disc, then hit F5 so that the boot disc "refreshes" for the installation disc. It should then pop up all the way to the right, just hit enter (while it's selected, but it should be by default after refreshing). Then it'll load into the disc, the rest of the installation is just as if you were installing it on a "regular" mac. Just remember to repartition it using GUID, as it won't allow you to do it any other way when installing from a RETAIL disc.

I ran into the same road block as well in my first attempt. You have to eject the boot disc, insert the SL retail disc, then hit F5 so that the boot disc "refreshes" for the installation disc. It should then pop up all the way to the right, just hit enter (while it's selected, but it should be by default after refreshing). Then it'll load into the disc, the rest of the installation is just as if you were installing it on a "regular" mac. Just remember to repartition it using GUID, as it won't allow you to do it any other way when installing from a RETAIL disc.

Wow so far so good. The F5 is exactly what I needed. I don't know why it won't work just swapping but it looks like its going now. Let you know in a bit.

Install went great.

Now just trying to get Chameleon to install and play nice with the system. I'm having to trial and error a lot as my attempts to just drop the kexts from post 1 into /Extra/Extensions is going horribly. I've tried changing the plist file, making mkexts, all sorts of things. Right now the folder is a mess but mostly works. The only thing that doesn't is getting Cham to autoload Mac OS X without my input. Once I get that, I am going to go through the folder file by file and figure out what isn't working and whats caused things that are working to work. Once I get that done, I am going to wipe the system and make a how to from the beginning with screenshots (though i have no idea how to do that. may just have to film the screen with my camera).

Does the precompiled boot132 you linked to include any of the (m)kexts you mentioned in the first post?
Yes, as mentioned here a few days ago. I put some of the /Extra (including some kexts, and my dsdt) in the Preboot.dmg. Otherwise your install wouldn't work. You can copy the /Extra from that package on the boot cd as a starting point.

Yes, as mentioned here a few days ago. I put some of the /Extra (including some kexts, and my dsdt) in the Preboot.dmg. Otherwise your install wouldn't work. You can copy the /Extra from that package on the boot cd as a starting point.

Did you have this reply waiting all night? I thought I deleted that part of the post last night. I am going to finish up everything tonight and create the tutorial maybe tomorrow. Im thinking I may even create a Chameleon installer for those with a 1340 that want just SL on the comp.

Hey BCC9,

Thanks for the great guide and all the work you have done putting this together. Due to time constraints I had put off the update to SL from Leo for a few weeks, but tonight I sat down and had a fully functioning SL install in less then 45 minutes.

On a side note, has anyone/is it possible to get 3 and 4 finger gestures working with the 1340 trackpad?

Hey BCC9,

Thanks for the great guide and all the work you have done putting this together. Due to time constraints I had put off the update to SL from Leo for a few weeks, but tonight I sat down and had a fully functioning SL install in less then 45 minutes.

On a side note, has anyone/is it possible to get 3 and 4 finger gestures working with the 1340 trackpad?

@puffdragon

Your fingers are small enough to fit four on that trackpad??? Haven't got it working or that pesky SD card.