Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

Thanks bcc9 for all your help. If you ever need someone to test anything just let me know; I owe you for all the help you've given; everyone here owes you for what you've done for us.

The netkas DSMOS did in fact work. For whatever reason, the DSMOS listed in the infinitemac thread didn't seem to work at all...at least in 32 bit mode(which is what matters for us Wireless 1515 owners). I'm also using your HCIBluetooth Kext without trouble at all.

I'm curious though: I read somewhere that HDMI on mac os does not send the audio packets. I'm assuming that there is no way to add this through kext modifications(or custom-built ones), but maybe you could clarify if this is at all possible?

Again, thank you for all your hard work and time.

-Wynter Woods

Yes, that guide was pointing to an old version of dsmos (that's what I wrote before in boldface) that wouldn't work with the "gold" version. You'll notice a bunch of other people in that thread had the same problem you did. I don't know what took 'em so long but the guide author finally just replaced the reference with one to fakesmc instead. Some other sites have a guide that's a bit nicer at this point but it references a bunch of repacked kexts; I don't know why people don't just link to the originals...

Thanks, I do have a list of 5 things at the end of post #1 that I need help with :D

As for HDMI audio, it may be possible to add the 2nd codec to the legacyhda kexts. May also get rid of those AppleHDA errors during boot time. I'm not sure but real apple hardware may never have 2 codecs working off of one HDA controller so maybe it'll never work... Anyone have HDMI audio working on a macbook pro?

Wow awesome thank you. So in your other guide (10.5.6 - 10.5.8) you said you use grub. I am not familiar with grub, so I googled "grub boot loader" and I got GNU Grub. From reading the site I'm quite sure that's the software you were speaking of. Now I went to the downloads section there are two options, Grub Legacy and Grub2. I was wondering which one is the one you are using or is the most effective (I would assume those are the same reasons).

^Sorry about the above. I didn't read the site thoroughly enough. I'm assuming you would use the latest build, Grub 2 (1.96).

I also did make the right guess yesterday and I do have Snow Leopard 10a432 user DVD as a dmg file. From other websites I read SL can be installed as a standalone, with no need for previous installs of Leopard or Tiger (contrary to what Apple says). Is it possible to install 10.6 clean without previous installs of OS X and do I need another program + the disc to facilitate an install?

Thank you very much bcc9.

Edit:

Oh and sorry for all the questions, but (this is my frail attempt at justifying pestering you so much) I trust your judgement and instructions the most since you have experience with almost exactly what I am doing and what you have done has worked. I really respect that. Just wanted to say thanks again.

Wow awesome thank you. So in your other guide (10.5.6 - 10.5.8) you said you use grub. I am not familiar with grub, so I googled "grub boot loader" and I got GNU Grub. From reading the site I'm quite sure that's the software you were speaking of. Now I went to the downloads section there are two options, Grub Legacy and Grub2. I was wondering which one is the one you are using or is the most effective (I would assume those are the same reasons).

I also did make the right guess yesterday and I do have Snow Leopard 10a432 user DVD as a dmg file. From other websites I read SL can be installed as a standalone, with no need for previous installs of Leopard or Tiger (contrary to what Apple says). Is it possible to install 10.6 clean without previous installs of OS X and do I need another program + the disc to facilitate an install?

Thank you very much bcc9.

There are 3 grubs unfortunately - grub4dos, grub legacy, and grub2. I use grub legacy on my 1340 as that's the version that fedora supports. grub4dos is what vistaloader uses for SLIC hackery. One of the other linux distros switched to grub2, but it was probably a bit premature. When grub2 becomes a little less beta it'll probably be the unifying solution as it should handle OSX directly too.

If you're only going to use windows&osx I'd think you could get by with chameleon, unless you're depending upon SLIC hackery too.

Assuming you have an OSX machine to prep with, you can unpack the dmg to an external usb drive and boot from that (with dsmos, voodoops2 changes). There are "Install Snow Leopard using hard disk partitions" instructions that come with most 10a432 copies.

I installed from an older live OS instead as I couldn't figure out how to do the MBR install with the usb drive solution.

What is "SLIC hackery"?

Also I would prefer to follow the track you did since it works. I'm still learning about how to do all this, so I'm not very comfortable attempting "new" things. Now I know that 10.5.6 works on my 1340, the only problem I really have is the boot issue. Here's what I do:

Vista is already installed and running.

1) My Computer -> R click -> Manage -> Disk Management -> Shrink main partition with Vista OS

Now here's where it gets weird for me. Do I format the partition as NTFS or leave it be? Should I set this partition as a "Simple Volume"?

2) Restart computer with OS X disk inserted -> using Disk Utility, format the partition as Mac OS (Journaled) -> Install Leopard.

3) Wait, restart computer, enter info, start installing fixes (as per your guide). Now how I installed Chameleon was I downloaded it from their site, unzipped, then installed the .pkg. I open the terminal and do the console commands, as per another guide I found on this forum. I restart the computer, and it goes to the all too common boot:0 boot:main black screen of frustration.

I have no clue how to properly set it up to dual boot. I've done it a few years ago on my desktop, but that was with two separate hard drives and all it really involved was choosing it in the startup menu in the BIOS. Do you think you could provide me with some guidance in that matter?

Here's the guide I attempted to follow. The latest post was quite "recent", May of this year, but I don't understand some of the stuff that's going on.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4749&st=400

What is "SLIC hackery"?
Fake OEM license info for windows. I shouldn't have mentioned it; it's unnecessary for this laptop anyways.
Also I would prefer to follow the track you did since it works. I'm still learning about how to do all this, so I'm not very comfortable attempting "new" things. Now I know that 10.5.6 works on my 1340, the only problem I really have is the boot issue. Here's what I do:

Vista is already installed and running.

1) My Computer -> R click -> Manage -> Disk Management -> Shrink main partition with Vista OS

Now here's where it gets weird for me. Do I format the partition as NTFS or leave it be? Should I set this partition as a "Simple Volume"?

I don't know what answer to give you, there are a million ways you could get to the same result; this is why I didn't write a general guide (or a multiboot guide). I should think you'd leave the partition unallocated as you're doing everything with disk utility in your next step anyways.

2) Restart computer with OS X disk inserted -> using Disk Utility, format the partition as Mac OS (Journaled) -> Install Leopard.

3) Wait, restart computer, enter info, start installing fixes (as per your guide). Now how I installed Chameleon was I downloaded it from their site, unzipped, then installed the .pkg. I open the terminal and do the console commands, as per another guide I found on this forum. I restart the computer, and it goes to the all too common boot:0 boot:main black screen of frustration.

In your step 3) I don't think you need any 10.5.x fixes if you're just using 10.5.x to install 10.6. As for chameleon, it sounds like the console commands weren't done right. I thought chameleon's installer could do everything for you.

Personally I manage my bootloader installs myself using dd commands from linux. For chameleon I believe this is the same as the 3 sudo commands in the chameleon install instructions (that come with it btw in doc/README)

I really can't give general rules on how to multiboot, there are too many variables. You really don't want to do what I do; I'm multibooting 3 versions of windows, 3 versions of osx, and linux on my 1340 right now, across 2 disks. It's quite crazy.

Thanks bcc9. I was wondering if you could give me some help with installing Chameleon. I dled the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640 file from their site, and I unzipped it in Leopard. I then ran the pkg file and installed it. Now I am trying to follow this guide online, and I did read 2 or 3 other threads that also had people using Chameleon as a bootloader, and it's all generally the same. I followed instructions but when I got the point where I had to do the terminal commands, I get stuck.

"fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0" is one of the commands I had to do (and that is assuming that I installed Leopard on /dev/disk0s1, which it isn't on.)

When I run that command it tells me "No such file or directory"

I actually have 5 partitions on my hard drive:

disk0s1, which is 94.1MB that I did not create

RECOVERY, which is Vista standard I believe

My Vista partition

disk0s5, which is for 10.6

and Leopard, for Leopard

It is listed in that order in Disk Utility. Help?

disk0s5, which is for 10.6

and Leopard, for Leopard

As I said, the chameleon bootloader only handles basic (partition #s 1 thru 4) MBR partitions.

So assuming your disk was as originally partitioned by dell, it's MBR based and disk0s5 is out of bounds.

You could compile your own bootloader that puts back support for extended MBR partitions (and takes out the GUID support).

Otherwise you have to simplify your partitioning.

ok I can tell this time, that i failed. I couldnt install SL. I just tried once since I dont have time, I have to get my laptop 100% installed for tonight so........

Anywayz, I installed correctly, applied all patched+kexts..and it booted though, it hannged in the grey screen before the Intro Video. weird..

Could you please give me the steps of how do you install SL? A link to the guide (if that´s the case) would be good to smile.gif. Thanks in advance.

I used the method described here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903 , but I skipped some unnecesary steps (I think), and replace the kext they use with the ones you post. I have been able to boot into SL, but there are to many problems. I can´t make the sound work and when I try to install Voodoops2controllers 0.98, the system panics (actually I got it working one time, but I did a mess with the replacement of the voodoops2controller, and vuala.... panic again....)

Please help me, I think I´m doing all wrong (I succesfully installed Leopard 10.5 with your other guide), I´m using GUID partition and been booting with -x32.

What is the progress on getting snow leopard booting in 64 bit mode on 1340?

what kexts are ready for 64 bit mode?

Thank you for the update

Hello everyone, this might sound noob, but please help.

I managed to install 10.5.8 and it runs solid with the first guide from bbc9

Now I install Snow Leo, it succeeds using altered osintall.mpkg from inside Leo.

Installation ends successfully. I then put dsmos in the Extensions folder, fix the permissions

I already have my Leo partition as active and Chameleon v2 is installed in it.

I then try to boot to SL. Kernel Panic. What did I do wrong ?? I cannot boot even running -x32, same kernel panic.

Thanks for any support.

can anyone pls tell me if its possible to upgrade the OS instead of reinstall the 10.6?

time machine your stuff first, then clean install snow leopard on another partition...and restore your documents on your new snow leopard install... that's usually how i do it.

Check:

ioreg -l -t -x -w900 | grep PinConfig

and

ioreg -l -t -x -w900 | grep HDAConfig

to verify that the plist values from those two legacy kexts got loaded right.

I got some values on my terminal for PinConfig, not quite for HDAConfig, can you point me to the right direction for trouble shooting the kext for HDAConfig? Seems to me the kext is installed but it's not loaded for some reason unknown.

time machine your stuff first, then clean install snow leopard on another partition...and restore your documents on your new snow leopard install... that's usually how i do it.

Will this method restore your apps and unix environment (all the tools I installed through fink)?

I got some values on my terminal for PinConfig, not quite for HDAConfig, can you point me to the right direction for trouble shooting the kext for HDAConfig? Seems to me the kext is installed but it's not loaded for some reason unknown.
If you look in the LegacyAppleHDAController.kext I posted, HDAConfigDefault is one of the keys that should get populated in the ioregistry if the kext matches (which it should). Try loading the kext manually with kextload -v. I suspect you didn't get the ownerships/permissions/kext cache set up right.

Could you please give me the steps of how do you install SL? A link to the guide (if that´s the case) would be good to smile.gif. Thanks in advance.
Very well, since so many people seem to be having problems; here's my install method. I don't think you're going to like it, it's hardly click to install... I have not tried re-doing a fresh install based upon this (ie this is not proofed). This is from my notes.

Pre-flight:

Boot 1340 from an existing OSX install.

Get chameleon or pc-efi v10 bootloader installed & working.

Setup your /Extra/smbios.plist so that the model name isn't genuine (parts of the installer look at this; I'm not sure if leaving the model set to MacbookPro4,1 causes failure or not, but it seems to cause issues...) I use:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>SMproductname</key>
   <string>Studio XPS 1340</string>
   <key>SMmemspeed</key>
   <string>1066</string>
   <key>SMexternalclock</key>
   <string>266</string>
   <key>SMmemtype</key>
   <string>24</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Reboot & verify that system profiler has 'Model Identifier:' set as above.

Take the .dmg of snow leopard, the gold/10a432 version, open it in diskutility and uncompress the dmg into a copy so that it is read/write instead of read only (hint: diskutility's convert command).

Find a copy of the 10a432 version of OSInstall.mpkg that has been hacked to set eraseoptionavailable to false (or leave it unset) in Distribution, or modify it yourself.

hdiutil attach the uncompressed .dmg read/write and replace the OSInstall.mpkg in System/Installation/Packages with the hacked version. This allows installing to MBR-partitioned disks.

unmount the .dmg

Partition your disk as MBR with a new partition for snow leopard. I recommend using an external 1.5gbps esata disk, but it's up to you. I use linux fdisk to do the partitioning dirty work since that way I can control exactly how the partitioning is being done. Be sure that the new partition is number 1,2,3, or 4, due to the MBR support limitations in chameleon 2.x. Set the partition type to NTFS or hfs so that disk utility can recognize it during the install.

Grab the 10a432 version of dsmos.kext or fakesmc.kext from netkas.org.

Time for the install:

remount the dmg you just built, this time read only (click on it thru the finder if you want)

browse to the OSInstall.mpkg, and click on it to start the install

Select the partition you set up with fdisk, allow the install to proceed.

Before rebooting:

Remount the new snow leopard partition with mount -u -o suid

cd to the partition

mkdir Extra

mkdir Extra/Extensions

put dsmos.kext or fakesmc.kext in Extra/Extensions

copy in your VoodooPS2Controller.kext from 10.5.x (the one I posted) into Extra/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Those are the only kext changes you need to get the system up.

copy in your /Extra/smbios.plist to Extra/smbios.plist

chown -R root:wheel Extra/Extensions

chmod -R 755 Extra/Extensions

Build the kext cache for the snow leopard partition:

ROOT=path-to-your-snow-partition
kextcache -a i386 -K $ROOT/mach_kernel -m $ROOT/Extra/Extensions.mkext $ROOT/Extra/Extensions

copy the DSDT.aml I posted into Extra/DSDT.aml

Edit Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, adding -v arch=i386 to Kernel Flags

Now you can boot the snow leopard install and finish the other platform specific steps.

Thanks for the response! :D... Actually it´s quite the same as what I have done (I tried with the MBR partition, but the lack of support for 4 or more partitions that has Chameleon make me change it to GUID)... I wonder what am I doing wrong... :blink:

Thanks for the response! :D ... Actually it´s quite the same as what I have done (I tried with the MBR partition, but the lack of support for 4 or more partitions that has Chameleon make me change it to GUID)... I wonder what am I doing wrong... :blink:

Well if you'd look at the panic message then maybe you could stop wondering... I still get an occasional crash at boot time because of AppleHDA, but it always is fine upon reboot.

okay a small update,

i sudo as root and manually kextload both Legacy HDA kext, and i can only generated the same result, PinConfigurations shows up while nothing from HDAConfig.

Also My Audio shows up as Intel HDA with Device ID: 0x10280271 and Audio ID 12, yet there aren't anything from the preference panel.

I have to switch back to Windows 7 and see if these 2 numbers match or not.

IOREG apple doc

ioreg displays all the io registries... and in your original command we specifically wants everything displayed on to the terminal... but in my case i see nothing of that.. and assuming i have set and loaded the kext correctly.. i might missed something in the middle...