Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

So how exactly do you install snow leopard on this pc? can you do it from the retail dvd?

I'll help save you a LOT of time. It's VERY easy if you already have a Leopard/Tiger partition on your HDD. From there, make ANOTHER partition (Journaled Extended) and label it SLinstall. It should be approximately 10gb more/less. Restore an image of Snow Leopard GM 10A432 to SLinstall. If you have Leopard/Tiger on the same HDD you're installing SL on, make ANOTHER partition for SL. Once that is done, don't restart or anything yet.

If you have a MBR partition table, google "hacked OSinstall.mpkg" and once you find it place it in /Volumes/SLinstall/System/Installation/Packages/ and 'Replace' with user authorization.

Regardless of if you have a MBR, use Finder's "Go To Folder..." option to go to /Volumes/SLinstall/System/Installation/Packages/OSinstall.mpkg. Go through the installer and choose the disk you wish to install on. Hit Customize and uncheck Additional Languages, Printers, Fonts, to decrease the chance of an error coming through.

While it installs, go ahead and find a bootloader. Specifically Chameleon 2.0 RC3. If you don't know how to install it manually, google "Chameleon 2 rc3 package." Install that to the Volume you booted TIGER/LEOPARD UNLESS you're installing SL to an External. Also be sure to download all the kext/kernal/plist/dsdt needed from the 1st page of this post.

Wait for the installation of SL to be completed then drag all the .kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ of your SL Volume, NOT YOUR LEOPARD/TIGER VOLUME. Then in Terminal:

sudo -s
cd /Volumes/[<snowLeopardVolume>]/System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel *
chmod -R 755 *

Finally, install your DSDT.aml/plists and reboot. Fingers Crossed! Just to be sure if Chameleon is working, boot SL originally with -v -x incase there were any errors during installation! :)

So how exactly do you install snow leopard on this pc? can you do it from the retail dvd?

Thank you :) i'll try this, but first i'm going to back up all my files to my other computer. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm a freakin reatard, how could i reply to my own quote lol oh well :D

Thank you :D i'll try this, but first i'm going to back up all my files to my other computer. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm a freakin reatard, how could i reply to my own quote lol oh well :P

No problem! Glad I could help; I struggled for a while so I know how it feels.

I'm also hoping someone can help me with getting my battery to appear up at the top. :)

I'm also hoping someone can help me with getting my battery to appear up at the top. :(

Sorry for bugging too much but i'm stuck, really noobish though, how am i supposed to replace the osinstall package with user authorization?

I'm also hoping someone can help me with getting my battery to appear up at the top. :rolleyes:

Sorry for bugging too much but i'm stuck, really noobish though, how am i supposed to replace the osinstall package with user authorization?

Well once you have downloaded the hacked OSinstall.mpkg, right click on Finder at the bottom and click "Go To Folder..." and type in /Volumes/SLinstall/System/Installation/Packages/. Drag and drop the hacked OSinstall.mpkg in there then a prompt will come up and you'll need to enter your password. Once that is done open the edited OSinstall.mpkg and continue :(

Um does it matter if i have a GUID Partition table? or do i have to have the MBR one.

Well it's a little more complicated to get a Windows installation dual-booted with SL, but it's possible. It's just that with a GUIDPT it's a little easier with THIS installation. You can have either but I've experimented with both.

*Edit:

I don't know the descriptive differences between MBR and GPT but I do know that Windows/Ubuntu behave better on MBR while GPT suits OS X. However I have a tri-boot with SL, Windows 7 & Leo on a GPT so I suppose it is possible.

First of all thank you bcc9 and all you guys for the fantastic work.

I haven't read everything in the topic, so pardon me if I say something already known...

I think I've managed to have gain control over internal mic using LegacyAppleHDAController.kext and LegacyAppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext. Not sure which of them does the job, I'll try to see tomorrow (even to see if it works also with an external mic since, unfortunately, I don't have one here now).

It is also necessary to extract AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the snow leopard dmg and patching again after a 10.6.1 upgrade.

Well once you have downloaded the hacked OSinstall.mpkg, right click on Finder at the bottom and click "Go To Folder..." and type in /Volumes/SLinstall/System/Installation/Packages/. Drag and drop the hacked OSinstall.mpkg in there then a prompt will come up and you'll need to enter your password. Once that is done open the edited OSinstall.mpkg and continue :D

Well it's a little more complicated to get a Windows installation dual-booted with SL, but it's possible. It's just that with a GUIDPT it's a little easier with THIS installation. You can have either but I've experimented with both.

*Edit:

I don't know the descriptive differences between MBR and GPT but I do know that Windows/Ubuntu behave better on MBR while GPT suits OS X. However I have a tri-boot with SL, Windows 7 & Leo on a GPT so I suppose it is possible.

Well i did everything, and i got a kernel panic! i must have done something wrong. ;)

First of all thank you bcc9 and all you guys for the fantastic work.
Thanks; it took a lot of time to put the pieces together.
I haven't read everything in the topic, so pardon me if I say something already known...

I think I've managed to have gain control over internal mic using LegacyAppleHDAController.kext and LegacyAppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext. Not sure which of them does the job, I'll try to see tomorrow (even to see if it works also with an external mic since, unfortunately, I don't have one here now).

Those kext names are arbitrary and can be written for any codec. It's the pathmap, pinconfig, etc. that are in the contained plists that matter. Doesn't tell us anything with just those names as there are many revisions on this forum for various hardware configs and attempts at getting things working. My HDAIDT.kext is a single kext that combines the contents of those other two kexts, again the name is arbitrary.

It is also necessary to extract AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the snow leopard dmg and patching again after a 10.6.1 upgrade.
No, that kext is not updated with the 10.6.1 upgrade. Again I didn't find anything that needed to be redone (or anything important fixed) after the 10.6.1 upgrade.

Those kext names are arbitrary and can be written for any codec. It's the pathmap, pinconfig, etc. that are in the contained plists that matter. Doesn't tell us anything with just those names as there are many revisions on this forum for various hardware configs and attempts at getting things working. My HDAIDT.kext is a single kext that combines the contents of those other two kexts, again the name is arbitrary.

My fault, I've messed too much with the kext ;)

Just one thing, if you boot up with the headphones plugged, does your system kernel panic?

In fact I have ACPI panic someitmes too, but i just ignore it, its sometimes, not sure if its when I unplug the battery or change it or whatever, ...will check later

EDIT:

@bcc9,

Almost sure ExpressCard slot works, I inserted a Parallel port in there, and it was detected under USB....so should work fine!

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me get my battery icon to work, i'm running os x 10.6.1 and every time i install the patch it won't let me because i don't have permission and when i install the kext os x tells me that it can't be used. Can someone help me please?

So I've wrestled with boot132 a bit and have successfully been able to install 10.6 just by booting off my custom install CD with the vanilla 10.6 distribution on a usb disk. No prior install of OSX on the laptop required. First time I've been able to hear the OSX welcome music on this machine ;)

More details after some sleep assuming folks are interested.

Hey bcc9, dont want to ask too much (as we all have do) but, if you have any free time, can you compile a DSDT with this device properties? I tried to understand your dsdt modification, but there's no GFX device or PEGP D:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<data></data>
<key>@0,can-hot-plug</key>
<data></data>
<key>@0,compatible</key>
<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
<key>@0,connector-type</key>
<data>AAAABA==</data>
<key>@0,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@0,display-connect-flags</key>
<data>AAAAAA==</data>
<key>@0,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
<key>@1,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<data></data>
<key>@1,can-hot-plug</key>
<data></data>
<key>@1,compatible</key>
<key>@1,connector-type</key>
<data>AAAABA==</data>
<key>@1,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@1,display-connect-flags</key>
<data>AAAAAA==</data>
<key>@1,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<data>BQEAAAAAAQAOAAAAAAABCwAAAAA=</data>
<key>NVPM</key>
<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
<key>built-in</key>
<data>AA==</data>
<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
<string>0x10000000</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9400m</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
<key>rm_multiboard_capable</key>
<data>AAAAAQ==</data>
<key>rom-revision</key>
<string>pmcnano</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0xc,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<data></data>
<key>@0,can-hot-plug</key>
<data></data>
<key>@0,compatible</key>
<key>@0,connector-type</key>
<data>AAAABA==</data>
<key>@0,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@0,display-connect-flags</key>
<data>AAAAAA==</data>
<key>@0,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
<key>@1,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<data></data>
<key>@1,can-hot-plug</key>
<data></data>
<key>@1,compatible</key>
<key>@1,connector-type</key>
<data>AAAABA==</data>
<key>@1,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@1,display-connect-flags</key>
<data>AAAAAA==</data>
<key>@1,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<data>BQEAAAAAAQAOAAAAAAABCwAAAAA=</data>
<key>NVPM</key>
<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
<key>built-in</key>
<data>AA==</data>
<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
<string>0x10000000</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9200 GS</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
<key>rm_multiboard_capable</key>
<data>AAAAAQ==</data>
<key>rom-revision</key>
<string>pmcnano</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Hey bcc9, dont want to ask too much (as we all have do) but, if you have any free time, can you compile a DSDT with this device properties? I tried to understand your dsdt modification, but there's no GFX device or PEGP D:
Well I'd rather just tell you how to do it for yourself. I don't really want to be in the business of compiling people's test dsdt's for them.

I do think it'd be easier to test with natit, as you can just edit the plist directly, and only then worry about moving it to the dsdt if you get something working.

For editing the dsdt, assuming you're starting with the already modified a11 dsdt I made, a11.fixed.dsl:

Since I already have the DTGP method in the DSDT, just search for IXVE.IGPU) to get to the 9400m device entry.

Search forward to "Store (Package (0x12)" to get to the injected strings. Replace with yours. Update the 0x12 string count to the new count (in hex).

For the 9200m device, I wrote before that I believe it's the XVR0.Z01I device. Edit the _DSM method for that device just as I did for IXVE.IGPU, adding the store & DTGP & return statements.

I mean, I could just use efi strings, the problem is that.. I will need to mod iopcifamily kext right? I guess modding your modified natit would be the easiest to do, will try later.

thanks anyway, i knew it was too much to ask..rawr B)!